[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to get into shooting clays without spending $2000?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: cropped-clay_sized1.jpg (180 KB, 798x300) Image search: [Google]
cropped-clay_sized1.jpg
180 KB, 798x300
Is it possible to get into shooting clays without spending $2000?

I think it looks cool so I want to try it but currently I don't even own a shotgun.

What would be a good shotgun to get started with without breaking the bank that wouldn't get me laughed out of the range?
>>
>get $200-$400 shotgun from big5 or pawn shop
>get $50 clay pigeons
>get $7 clay pigeon thrower
It's actually a very cheap entry, as far as guns go.
>>
I have a TriStar Hunter EX. It has MSRP of ~600, and I only payed 300 for it in store.
>>
Any shotgun is fine. Buy a cheap 870 or a used Baikal and see if you like it. If anyone laughs it means the range is shit and you should spend your money somewhere else.
>>
>>30634168
You can get a semi auto h&r for like $250 or under on sale. My dad has a Winchester 1400? I think. Love it for pigeons. But I do just about the same with my 500
>>
>>30634168
Also, a spring powered pigeon thrower is about $40, works best if you have someone loading for you
>>
>>30634225
Is the whole thing about SxS being bad for clays and O/U master race a meme or are O/U actually better?
>>
>>30634241
>If anyone laughs it means the range is shit and you should spend your money somewhere else.
This. My buddy went to a clay shooting competition with his Mossberg Security shotgun and nobody was laughing.

Especially after he won one of the shooting rounds against all the lifetime duck hunters.
>>
>>30634168
You can shoot clays with any shotgun you like, it just won't be as "nice". Think of it like driving a 2004 Toyota Corolla. Sure it's reliable and does what you want it to do (drive) but it's not as nice as a Lincoln.
>>
>>30634285
OUs can have different calibers/chokes, which is why they're popular.

everything else is false/meme.
>>
>>30634241
My local range is shitty, the only reason I'm still going there is because I was stupid enough to buy a membership for a year. Next year I'm going to a range that is well over an hour away just so I don't have to deal with an RO who is the biggest dick I've met in a long time.
>>
>>30634168
Just get the cheapest working OU you can find, nobody's going to laugh at you as long as it works
>>
>>30634168
>Is it possible to get into shooting clays without spending $2000?
wat

Shooting clays is pretty much the cheapest shooting you can do aside from plinking with babby calibers.
>>
I use a Mossman 500 I bought at a pawn shop for $175 for clays and do alright, follow up shots with a pump can be annoying though.

If you have your heart set on an O/U you can easily get a used slavshit baikal that's built like a tank for ~$300 or less at a pawn shop.
>>
>>30634363
I was looking at forums and other online sources for info on how to get started with shooting clays and generally the starter level shotguns these guys list cost around $1200
>>
>>30634168
I started shooting trap with a shitty baikal single shot. After i started shooting like 28/30 i bought myself a Stoeger Condor Supreme for like $650 (thats really cheap for an O/U) Fuck anyone who laughs or talks shit, i sport clays for fun, i buy the clays from bass pro or walmart (box of 130 is like $17)
>>
>>30634168
Clays have been on clearance at Walmart for 90 clays @ $5, 12 gauge ammo is $20 for 100 shells, and the gun.

My buddy literally uses a single shot break barrel 20gauge and goes 15+/20. Paid like $90 for the gun so...
>$90
>$10 (two boxes of clays)
>$40 (two boxes of ammo)
>$7 clay thrower
>???
>profit

Its a lot of fun. I use my mossberg 500 w/ 28" barrel for clays and when I go home I put the 18" back on for HD. Paid $300
>>
>>30634406
That's because they're idiots and/or snobs.
>>
>>30634406
Those guys have their heads up their asses.

That's like saying "You shouldn't race cars until you're at least driving a corvette!"
>>
>>30634404
>follow up shots with a pump can be annoying though.
Just wait until you try follow up shots with a break action...
>>
Thanks everyone for advice
I already found a guy who is selling a Baikal IJ-27
O/U 12g, 2-3/4" chanbers, 28" barrrels
$285+shipping
thoughts?
>>
>>30634507
They are very heavy guns no frills guns, but reliable. Price is just ok, more importantly since it's Baikal you can just bludgeon would be intruders to death and save on ammo. Win win.
>>
I once entered a charity tournament for shits and giggles, the only shotgun I had was my 590. I got some looks, but i finished somewhere in the middle. Not too shabby for my first time
>>
So since a couple of people mentioned these plastic throwers I'm assuming these are fine?
How difficult is it to throw with these?
>>
>>30634480
Kek, reminds me of when I first learned to shoot clays with an ancient mossberg 20ga bolt action, trying to stay on target while working da bolt fast was hard enough.
>>
I take out flights of 3 (if I can find enough friends to go to the range with me) with my shitty 870 express tactical.

I've seen a guy using a spas-12, no shit.

literally anything in 12 or 20 ga will work.
>>
Is a pump action shotgun good enough for clay shooting? I kind of wanted to get an A-5 because they're cheap and semi-auto, but they're also often like 70 years old and not as good condition as similarly-priced pump actions.

O/U's are sexy as hell too, but I don't see the point of them over a semi-auto for this purpose and they're all insanely expensive.
>>
>>30636427
Yeah, and it will train you to work the forearm without loosing the target.
>>
>>30634507
Apparently this one was already sold. Now I'm I have to browse the ads for another scattergun
>>
>>30634404
Why is Mossberg memed as "mossman"?
Been looking for an answer for like, a year.
>>
>>30634304
Just no.
>1. You don't shoot two different calibers in competition. Two chokes, yes
>2. At the higher end of competition, small things matter. Being possibly out in front of the clay with a SxS could cause you to lose a match.
>3. Recoil on SxS may be more biased to one side, throwing off the smoothness of your form.
>>
>>30639857
Was going to say this. Point of aim is a big deal yo
>>
>>30634406
what a bunch of rich faggots / snobs

I started when I was 11 years old with a remington 870 express and I got pretty good that way

one thing you will want to keep in mind is that faggots who are really into trap shooting will ALWAYS have obscenely expensive O/Us that are no better than a $400 walmart shotgun
>>
>>30634241
This i went trap shooting and all the guys there had pump actions, break actions are only for serious competitors
>>
>>30639769
Its just a nick name like moist nugget
>>
>>30634241
I'd rather have a range with old farts snickering.
God the looks on their faces when you out shoot them with a Saiga 12 is priceless.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.