[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
US government releases proposed guidelines for smart guns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
http://nij.gov/Documents/draft-baseline-specifications-for-law-enforcement-service-pistols-with-security-technology.pdf

The biggest difference that the proposed smart gun would have from regular firearms is the addition of a so-called "security device." This is designed to prevent unauthorized use by disabling the firing system unless when in control of identified users, and has to meet an exhaustive list of requirements (at least, in this draft proposal).

The security device is to be a permanent part of the pistol, but can include externally worn items such as rings, wristbands or tokens. More than one person can be programmed to operate the gun, and the security device must not alter the normal operation of grasping and firing the pistol, nor increase the time needed to grab, draw from a holster and fire the weapon.

If electromagnetic interference may affect the security device, countermeasure detection tech must also be installed to allow the user to fire the gun "when an attempt to block the authorization process is detected."

The security device must covertly inform the operator when the gun is ready to fire, and if it uses batteries, the batteries may be rechargeable, but must be replaceable. And if power is running low, the security device must warn the user with sufficient time to safely take action. Finally, if the security device malfunctions, it must default to a state to allow the pistol to fire, and should be designed to be easy to reset or disengage in such cases.
>>
>>30633830
or just use a retention holster?
liek how often does someone actually manage to steal a law enforcer's firearm and use it against them? if you even allow that to happen you have a bigger problem than the 'safety' of your gun
>>
>>30633830
Why not just put a solar panel on it like a calculator? It's not like it has a remote control turn off switch amirite? Anyways, if this is ever forced, criminals would just start making their own guns instead of dealing with this shit.
>>
>>30633890
Presumably, once everyone else is disarmed, the only way to get a gun will be take one off a cop.

They're being pretty forward thinking here, and I for one find it terrifying.
>>
>>30633830
And it will be hacked in two days after release. Horrible idea.
>>
>Lithium batteries in a gun.

That's asking for trouble.
>>
>>30633830
The whole idea of an electrically powered security system for guns is a bit ridiculous. Just adds more parts that can fail and become a pain in the ass to whoever owns the gun.
>>
>>30633890
It does happen, specifically when someone draws a weapon but doesn't shoot for whatever reason.

In theory it's not a bad idea but in practice it's probably a fucking terrible one.
>>
>>30633830
>setup watch / glove / whatever to block tech
>can now make unauthorized use of gun
>>
>>30633830
Ah, they want things which Smartguns simply can't do.
>>
>>30633938

I know, right?

Glocks blow up enough already.
>>
File: 1460860273596.gif (2 MB, 390x277) Image search: [Google]
1460860273596.gif
2 MB, 390x277
>>30633830
>US flag
>Made in Germany
>>
>>30634973

haha top tier kek. how are you enjoying your first day on k?
>>
>>30635063
Who build the modern Germany? Name a flourishing industry in East Germany that's not state security.
>>
File: 24547b.jpg (131 KB, 733x636) Image search: [Google]
24547b.jpg
131 KB, 733x636
>>30633913
Yeah and you can velcro the solar panel to the top of your 5.11 tactical flag bearer hat!
>>
File: download (1).jpg (5 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
5 KB, 259x194
>>30633830
German engineering amrite?
>>
>>30633890
Anyone partially weapons trained can

check the court house shooter
>>
>>30633938
It's obviously the whole point to bog down everything... Ed209 best bot
>>
File: 1430405396570.jpg (42 KB, 286x256) Image search: [Google]
1430405396570.jpg
42 KB, 286x256
>>30633830
>What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>technology control
>people control
>>
File: download (1).jpg (5 KB, 289x174) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
5 KB, 289x174
We SOP now.
>>
>>30633830
Not cised at all.
>>
>>30633938
Reminds me of how the hot new meme on /asg/ is that electric airguns with lipo batteries will explode like a thermobaric bomb.

Put a lipo in a real Glock and it really does become a grenade!
>>
>Finally, if the security device malfunctions, it must default to a state to allow the pistol to fire, and should be designed to be easy to reset or disengage in such cases.

What the fuck is the point?
>>
File: 1467570066051.jpg (65 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1467570066051.jpg
65 KB, 640x640
>>30633830
nothing will meet real-world requirements for a long time, but that's no reason to ignore this.

Fight it tooth and nail because you know they will try to mandate it.
>>
>>30642152
>What the fuck is the point?
Exactly what I was thinking.
>>
>>30642152
The point is more government control.
Placing electronics inside a weapons is a godsend for intelligence agencies.
Goverment is pretty scared of a future uprising if they keep fucking the middle class.
>>
>>30633830
>Can be fired if it's jammed as backup safety measure
>Steal cops gun
>Jam it with chinese multichannel cellphone jammer
>Free gun

The didn't think this through half as well as they thought.
>>
>>30633830
>ill take "half baked solutions to a non-existent problems" for $500, alex
>>
Obviously they'll have a shut down switch somewhere in the Pentagon to shut them off for civilians, provided civilians would ever even get the chance to buy them after the standard firearm purge.
>>
>>30633830
> Security system
> Easy to disengage
> Default error state is to allow it to be shot
>>
Is the US Army and police forces going to implement this beautiful and perfect technology before it is forced on the civilian market? No? Why not?
>>
>>30642515
I doubt that the gun manufacturers would allow a firearm purge, not sure about domestic profits, but they make billions on exports.
>>
>>30633830
Lol. So what ever will we do with the millions of legally obtained "dumb" guns owned and already in production? So fucking stupid.
>>
>>30633830
>find a way to inject code to fake a malfunction
>never have to worry about being tracked every time you pull the trigger
>>
>>30634246
Alternatively
>Defeat cop in struggle
>Take firearm
>Disable internal lock
>Enjoy new dumb gun
>>
Can't wait for police to get this so we can start a false flag campaign
>People, the police have a deadly new type of firearm in their arsenal
>These smart guns allow for bullets that can explode when they hit you
>They also allow for high capacity .30 caliber clips
>Do we want untrained and unvetted people to have this technology?
>>
>>30642820
They will eventually exit circulation as they become inoperable due to age or neglect on top of an initial trade-in campaign

like pennies
>>
>>30634107
This. I could understand an electronic recording system like higher-end tasers for law enforcement have, but this SOP wannabe stuff is a little ridiculous
>>
>security device
>auto-unlock on low battery, jammed signal or any other detected malfunction
What the fucking point?
Also
>smartgun
>no AR aiming assist
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
Not one sons of the patriots joke in this entire goddamn thread
>>
>>30642918
perhaps by 2816
>>
>>30633830
>Finally, if the security device malfunctions, it must default to a state to allow the pistol to fire, and should be designed to be easy to reset or disengage in such cases

cook in the microwave on high for 20 seconds.
>>
>Govt mandated smart guns
>Take gun apart
>Remove stupid lock
>Gave dumb gun

Fucking retarded.
>>
>>30633890
The difference is that it will also allow to track weapon usage, discharges etc.
>>
File: only_partially_retarded.jpg (100 KB, 850x784) Image search: [Google]
only_partially_retarded.jpg
100 KB, 850x784
>>30633890
>>
>>30633830
>>30633890
Let's not also forget that the smart gun is intended to disarm the civilian populace at the push of a button once the government decides to it's tired of its subjects being capable of fighting back.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/05/robert-farago/breaking-smart-gun-maker-files-patent-remote-kill-switch/
>>
>>30642365
>If the security device malfunctions it must default to a state to allow the pistol to fire, and should be designed to be easy to reset or disengage in such cases.
>Rip out the powerpack and it unlocks automatically, then disengage the lock completely.
They want to have their cake and eat it to, they want a safety system which makes it difficult for other people to use the gun but at the same time is easy to disengage or remove when it runs out of juice or is damaged. If it's easy to remove then it isn't a safety system.
>>
>>30645181
Sounds like a new Hillary lock or mag disconnect.
>>
>>30645303
Its obvious this is the only reason for this shit to exist, just like they try to use every shooting as an excuse to take the weapons from everyone.
The elite is extremely scared of an armed population, and they know that if the shit hits the fan the military won't be on their side for long.
>>
>>30645634
So basically this is the evolution of the absurd trigger pull in NY service pistols. Gotcha.
>>
>>30634107
This is why PD's absolutely hate this shit and it will only ever be adopted in loonachimp run towns like Detroit or maybe NYC.
>>
>>30649354
>implying it won't be mandated in all firearms sold to or owned by civilians, in the usual suspect states, with leo exceptions
>>
>>30633830
>If electromagnetic interference may affect the security device, countermeasure detection tech must also be installed to allow the user to fire the gun "when an attempt to block the authorization process is detected."

So, in other words, I could make a device that detects when one of these "smart guns" is near by detecting the radio signal that this thing would have to make. Once I have visual contact of the target, I activate a simple wide band jammer that causes the security system to unlock the gun. I then ambush the idiot, grab his gun, and then shoot him with it. I can either continue to jam the signal if I need it again soon, or I can just remove the batteries to permanently unlock the gun.

I could make a weekend project out of this and make a functioning prototype with an Arduino and some parts from Radio Shack. It took me about 30 seconds to think all of this up, which means that it would take people smarter than me even less time. If these things even see the light of day it will be hacked before it arrives in stores.
>>
>>30649549
That's not the point of it anon.
How easy is it to make a lightning link?
But that's still a felony.
The powers that be know that it is trivial to circumvent. But fudds will obey because they're bootlickers. And those of us who aren't inclined to obey, they just have one more nail they can use to hammer us to the cross.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."
>>
>>30643720
>smartguns sell like hotcakes on 4th of July
>"BEHOLD, SALES OF THE PATRIOTS!"
>>
>Hurr we need smart guns for (((((safety)))))
>Lithium batterys in smart guns overheat, catch fire, and turn gun into a grenade that neuters the LEO
>Smart gun battery runs out and LEO dies in a gunfight desperately pulling a trigger that just clicks
>Smart gun user ID system gets hacked during a terrorist attack and the body count rises by hundreds

America needs a Praetorian guard that can strangle our leaders in their sleep when they prove unable to govern the nation.
>>
>>30649586
I like that, who wrote it?
>>
>>30633890
It happened in Michigan this week.
>>
>>30650351
ayn rand, atlas shrugged
goodreads.com/quotes/319903-did-you-really-think-we-want-those-laws-observed-said
>>
>>30633830
Has anyone actually bought one of those yet?
>>
>>30643720
well somebody did post Drebin's APC
>>
>>30645128
this is dumb enough to work
>>
>>30633830
>if the security device malfunctions, it must default to a state to allow the pistol to fire, and should be designed to be easy to reset or disengage in such cases.
So basically nobody will charge or put batteries into it so it just weights down the weapon and make it more expensive to purchase
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.