[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you operate innarespirator? Commercial or milsurp?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13
Would you operate innarespirator? Commercial or milsurp?
>>
>>30630570

Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>30630570
Commercial all the way.
>>
if you have access to one I would use a PAPR
The powered air supply keeps you cool and stops it from fogging as soon as you start breathing heavy
Also good to pair it with pistols or shotguns cause you are not going to get a good cheek weld with a respirator.
>>
>>30630614
Explain, please.

>>30630653
Aren't the powered respirators noisy, and heavy ?
>>
I've got bad myopia and have to wear spectacles. Contacts aren't an option either. What do ?
>>
>>30630678
Get a modern military mask with glasses inserts
>>
>>30630570

post more pictures of your gf
>>
>>30630678
>>
>>30630570
I'd operate in that ass
>>
>>30630711
But my GF is the one taking the picture.
>>
>>30630668
Comercials have a better field of fiey and are more confy over the long turn
Worked in a chemical facotroy and the one we used during the shift were still not bad after 4 hours
The ones wen had in military had not such a good field of view and were uncomfortable as fuck after two hours.
The military ones are cheaper
>>
All about commercial. Availability, cost, easy to find cartridges, and effectiveness are all factors.

Also I don't know if I should be mad or thank you people for giving me a gas mask fetish. Lucky for me the girlfriend is into it.
>>
>>30630740
Makes sense. What filters should one get for tear gas and other common gases ? I got myself a half mask, will purchase a full face one soon.

Anyone know any good international supplier ?
>>
>>30630668
The weight of PAPRs isn't bad as long as you have the battery secured so it doesn't bounce around too much. The noise could be an issue but if you can see better than everyone else I would make the trade off.
>>
What is a good commercial mask? Would anything marked as a CBRN mask be good?
>>
Bought the 3M 7502 with the pink filters. COuld smell cigarette smoke through it. Is my mask defective/ filter defective ?
>>
>>30630570
> Would you operate innarespirator?
No
> Why?
because, even if respirators look /k/ as fuck, wearing one of these things is just hideous
> operate innarespirator
have fun with ironsights
>>
>>30630807
3M makes everything you need, HEPA and HEPA/organic, which will filter everything but combat gas (which is another entirely matters which demands specific training, early warning and decontamination equipment, so don't bother with merely a mask and filter which will get you killed anyway). Commercial masks are 100% alright and perfectly comformatble. But i've never seen one with a drink tube. If you go for law enforcement/military Mestel makes very good models as well, but priciers.
>>
>>30630678
lasik
>>
>>30630570
That's dependent on situation. If I'm in an environment where I'm worried about chemical weapons or even just chemical hazards, absolutely. Factories that use a lot of materials like asbestos or industrial facilities that contain waste matter like mercury, or, god forbid that this ever somehow happens, in a trench during dubya dubya wan. Yes I'm wearing or at least carrying some lung protection. Because fuck getting cancer or going insane or whatever. But in an ordinary oper8ing time, no. It's distractingly uncomfortable and a hindrance to my shooting and, if full mask, may cut my peripheral vision.
>>
>>30631044
You need a different filter for different environments.

SCBA masks are more betterer.
>>
File: EMT.gif (29 KB, 293x300) Image search: [Google]
EMT.gif
29 KB, 293x300
>>30630570
>Would you operate innarespirator?
Here in Canada, you have to pass rifle range and drill tests while wearing a gas mask.

Personally, I'm reserve navy, so we also have to learn how to not die while wearing an SCBA and fire suit because fires on ships are Very Not Good and 911 doesn't exist in the ocean

Truth be told, I trust the C-4 (or whatever it is) gas mask but don't understand why they don't issue Dragar(tm) SCBAs to everyone, since afaik, they can adopt filter cartridges instead of backpack tanks and they fit a lot better and offer way better visibility. They're even more robust in general -- a Dragar's face shield bit is hard plastic that doesn't melt, a C-4 is weird soft plastic you can poke out with one finger.

(ignore filename it was a snarky thing from many moons ago)
>>
>>30630678
Get lasers.

At basic, that's what our platoon 2I/C recommended. I dunno about the US military, but the CF gladly pays for it up here even if you're reserve.
>>
>>30630740
>worked in a chemical factory
I can tell. Also I think your respirator had a leak.
>>
>>30631104
>they can adopt filter cartridges instead of backpack tanks

They can.
>>
>>30631104
Fellow Canadafag. Thanks for serving and bringing knowledge to the bread. I remember being aboard the Toronto once and being told that literally every crewman is a trained firefighter. True shit?
>>
File: nothing is illegal in space.jpg (83 KB, 720x658) Image search: [Google]
nothing is illegal in space.jpg
83 KB, 720x658
>>30631104
>911 doesn't exist in the ocean
Of course. The most important terror attack in history never happened... In the ocean.
>>
>>30631167
>Thanks for serving
you are dumb as shit senpai do you know how much they pay me

i have not actually done meaningful work in YEARS yet I somehow pay my rent. Explain that, conservatives

> literally every crewman is a trained firefighter. True shit?
Yes. We all have to go to firefighting school. It's only like a week long course but we all get schooled in wearing the gear, handling hoses, laying out hoses in tight spaces, proper door procedure, etc.
>>
>>30630931
Pink is for particulates, you what a Chem or Chem/ particle combo filter
>>
>>30630931
even without reading >>30631195 I feel like "RTFM" would have been a good response here

always always read the manual of any lifesaving or life preserving equipment you purchase or intend to use, and if there is no manual, return it or simply dont buy it. it is not worth risking life or limb on equipment with no documentation
>>
>>30631189
Eh, you're still risking your ass just by existing on a naval vessel. Those things are deathtraps no matter what anyone says.
>>
File: P1222863.jpg (201 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
P1222863.jpg
201 KB, 1600x1200
>>30631189
>>30631167
oh also ps they thankfully do not issue the C4 gas mask (pic related) to sailors. at least not reservist sailors.

afaik regular force sailors might get one and if they do they ahve to carry it on them at all times, complete with the carry bag. which has three auto-injectors of atropine, an extra filter (may be expired) and some other odds and ends in it. I'm not sure if they're obliged to carry it as a part of their sea kit though, they might just kinda have it lying around in case of deployment on land in emergency. (though it'd be weird because NO sailors get CADPATs. not even if you work in the office of an army unit)

pictured: some nerd I found on google just now who is a fresh recruit (bonus points if you can tell how (hint: it's not any insignias on him) with a giant fukken head wearing a C4. These things are fun, but they seem impractical compared to the dragar the navy uses

then again, maybe they will make it a thing for every branch someday because the dragar is literally new enough that I have a signature to get to say I have "re-familiarized" my "naval environment training" with it even though I have literally never seen the chemox iron lung it replaced in, uh, I hear about 2012 or so

yeah our firefighters wore their oxygen on their chest and generated it with a literal candle, what of it
>>
>>30631283
That mask looks... Unwieldy. Also flimsy as fuck. Thank God the ships can be hermetically sealed. Also, sailors aren't issued CADPAT because there's no practical reason for it at sea and also the navy is very, very MUH TRADITION.
>>
>>30631283
Also, I know he's fresh because his nametag is made of what appears to be masking tape and not the standard embroidered, velcro-backed name badge, which he clearly has not yet been issued.
>>
File: 1466394742649.gif (29 KB, 600x280) Image search: [Google]
1466394742649.gif
29 KB, 600x280
>>30630960
>>
>>30630570
What mask is that? I looks like a Small Scott AV2000 but the webbing and the adapter is wrong. The Scott adapter is a single inlet
>>
>>30631355
BINGO

Because CF supply is kinda dump and doesn't supply certain things (velcro tape is a big one) a lot of people don't have nametags until their second year or so, and then don't bother sewing or velcroing them on for another year because no one gives you shit for it in the reg force or most reserve units. I was lucky, I got mine at about 6 months in and am from a particularly active (and thus stringent) unit.

it always makes me mad when I go to the coast and see Leading Seamen who don't fucking have nametags on their shirts.

>velcro-backed
fuck no nigga you buy that shit yourself or sew it on permanently. Mine are all sewed. Sewing is common because supply depots will do it for free if you wait, and it's like ten bucks at a CANEX to get a whole batch of shirts done up (but you might wait a day to a week, depending on workload)

>>30631306
I had a tl;dr post about masks typed up ill try to remember it

I'm literally an OS reservist (and thus the most basic of beta bitches) but I've at least manhandled the gear and they, for some ungodly reason, force you to learn all about CPF systems during basic. Or at least, they did when I went, they've been playing a lot with the QSPs lately. Have a pocket man grinding on a meme rifle instead
>>
File: getawaysticksguy.png (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
getawaysticksguy.png
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>30630668
Powered respirators are worth the weight.
>>
>>30631525
What helmet and mask is that?
>>
>>30631306
I can't remember where I was gonna go with this but basically

the C4 mask is surprisingly comfortable. They're made of good material, have good airflow to keep sweat evaporating off you, and have a drain and drinking tube which is nice

Dragars don't have the same kind of design for some reason so the only option to feel better when you're sweaty is to blast your face with air, which consumes a lot of the tank. It has one of those on demand systems with lots of check valves, so the regulator runs at a pretty high pressure. Once you get hot, thirsty, or hungry, you may as well radio back that you're done and need a relief, because they are just not meant to be used for more than about 20 minutes at a time. It's really explicitly made for firefighting or confined space entry, not CBRN or anything else.

>Thank God the ships can be hermetically sealed.
CPFs and I think maybe our last one Destroyer can have citadels protected againsr CBRN, but MCDVs don't and the Harry Dewolf probably won't. The going doctrine, from what I hear from my superiors, is to simply not get nuked because to uphold all the CBRN drills relevant to a ship, you need the entire ship's company up 24/7. If there's a gas attack, the ship isn't fighting through it, it's going somewhere not saturated in gas. The filters also aren't made for it; the ships maintain a citadel through pressure, not filtration. Once the filters are kaput from normal buildup, you HAVE to leave or things will start breaking.

>>30631525
t. someone who's never worn an air tank
>>
>>30631538
>little bitch thinks lithium sulfur dioxide batteries have anything to do with an air tank
KYS
>>
>>30631612
>b-but BATTERIES
batteries for doing what? electrolysis? please do not explode the secondary zone, it's where our hoses are dude
>>
>>30630570
I have a commerical respirartor the one with the little pink filters it only covers my mouth and nose, would that coupled with goggles be an effective repellent to nasty stuff.
>>
>>30631717
fun fact: sarin cannot be stopped by mere mortals
>>
>>30631538
>t. someone who's never worn an air tank

Better than dying from smoke inhalation or whatever the fuck other reason you need a closed air system
>>
>>30631760
Yeah, I'd rather a tank than some sci-fi system. I'm no contractor, I don't keep up with advances with respirator tech. Just gimme 20 minutes of air and a map to the exit
>>
File: fbi_hrt_cbrn.jpg (28 KB, 620x342) Image search: [Google]
fbi_hrt_cbrn.jpg
28 KB, 620x342
>>30631538
I am not a respirator expert but I'm pretty sure PAPR doesn't necessarily mean air tank.
pic related
>>
>>30631925
I don't know what PAPR means either but I'm not waiting until I'm in a confined space to find out.
>>
>>30631525
powered respirators would probably be used in situations where you cant filter out the toxins, or the concentration in air is 100's of ppm and would overload a cartridge filter.

I highly doubt anyone would carry an air tank when a light respirator would work just as well
>>
>>30631945
Powered Air Purifying Respirator.

Basically, a regular gas mask filter with a battery powered fan to draw outside air through it instead of the person using their lungs.

Works slightly better than a regular mask, because any air leakage will be flowing out, and not in, but it's still pretty shit, and worthless if the battery is dead.
>>
>>30631976
That sounds like a thing where in every situation I'd want it, I'd really rather want to go overkill and go with an SCBA, except for the few situations where I'd think "what if the battery goes dead?" and would just want a normal mask and better designed filter
>>
>>30632004
Oh, also I forgot the possibility of being shot at, where I'd still want to not have to carry batteries and to be relying on as few moving parts as possible. Moving parts are the devil in any kind of hazardous environment.
>>
>>30632004
>>30632017
One reason I've heard it's used is because the airflow through it is much better than a regular mask setup. So if you're doing SWAT type shit in a meth house you're not worried about weight because of short duration, and you really just want to be able to breathe well for the length of an operation.
>>
>>30632045
I wouldn't want meth lab gases literally forced through my mask though

also I don't think most SWAT teams use anything more than balaclavas and very good insurance policies
>>
>>30632004
Basically, yeah. It also has the problem that like all of those filter-based systems, you're still breathing (filtered) ambient air, so if there is something wrong with that air you're not really doing much.

Like if the air you're operating in is <19.5% O2, a filter mask won't get you anywhere, you're going to need an outside source of breathable air (A tank). Same thing if there were other, not necessarily CRBN contaminants, like CO/CO2 concentrations.
>>
>>30632115
Which is not to say that a SCBA is the ideal solution to all situations, either. They are heavy, can make it difficult or even impossible to move through some areas, and the duration you can work/move/whatever is limited both by the absolute of how much air will fit in the tank, as well as the variable of how much air you have to use to do what you're doing, as well as the fitness of the user. Walking around taking atmosphere samples with a sniffer will use far less of your work time vs. having to knock down a door or dig through rubble, for example. The harder you work, the more you have to breathe, and the less time you have left to actually do anything.

A 6-liter air tank (pretty standard size) usually gives you only about 30-35 minutes of air time, for example.

Also, once the tank is empty, that's it. You can't just swap out for a new one in a hurry, and you have no breathable air left.
>>
In general, anything requiring a resperator shouldn't be an OPER8OR concern. If you're OPER8ING somewhere where there's crazy hazmat or cbrn threats or literally no oxygen around you, it's probably not worth fighting for right that second and you can secure the space immediately around it that DOES manage to have breathable air in it
>>
>>30631717
No.

You will probably need UN filters for NBC. Otherwise you will need to learn the chemistry and see if they are compatible
>>
File: Im working on losing the weight.jpg (3 MB, 3088x4160) Image search: [Google]
Im working on losing the weight.jpg
3 MB, 3088x4160
>>30630570
I still need to track down some good filters. Also can't hear for shit with the hood on.
>>
3M 6800 is the only way to go.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/3m-6000-series-full-facepiece-respirator-medium-14313.html
>>
>>30630570
>>30630595
valpal
>>
>>30630668
>Explain, please.

Military gear is heavier, less comfortable, and offers less protection than commercial respirators. Mil is mass produced to meet specs nowhere near the OSHA/NIOSH standards that civ respirators have to meet.

Mil gear is designed to withstand more physical abuse from conscripts with rudimentary training. For the same reason, mil cartridges try to give universal protection. This adds bulk/weight, and reduces overall effectiveness against specific threats.

Civ gear requires a higher degree of user training, and is less robust against physical hazards. Although, iirc, facepieces have to meet ANSI Z87 impact standards.

Civ respirators require more user maintenance, in return for offering a longer service life. They're also lighter, and considerably more comfortable. That's really important when you're 6 hours into an 8 hour shift. I've had mil gear give me a headache and make my face go numb after 20 minutes because of shitty adjustment options. It's either too loose, or so tight your head keeps trying to implode.

Civ respirator cartridges are more threat specific, which means better airflow. There are cartridges for multiple threat environments, they tend to be heavier with lower air flow.

Civ respirators have infinitely more accessories and options available, as well as more brands. That's important because there are subtle size variances between brands.

Fresh cartridges for civ respirators are easier to come by, as are repair parts and accessories.

Regarding PAPR- they can be noisy if you have the type that sit at the back of your neck. Belt or back mounted move the noise away from hour head.

PAPRs can also be used to set up a protected enclosure for infants/small children, pets, and elderly people or casualties. It doesn't take much, some duct tape, some trash bags, and maybe a couple of coat hangers.
>>
>>30632397
I have them.
>>
>>30630704
Or get a modern civilian respirator with inserts.
>>
>>30630931
Put an organic vapor cartridge on it.
>>
>>30630570
If I take of the respirator will she date me?
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 612x265) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 612x265
>>30633089
Here she is without mask
>>
>>30630570
I want to lick from pussy to asshole
>>
>>30633163
Wow, those are incredibly British teeth.
>>
File: tumblr_nqtmiuX9AS1tf60zbo1_400.gif (2 MB, 375x213) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqtmiuX9AS1tf60zbo1_400.gif
2 MB, 375x213
>>30633089
Only if you put her in head to toe latex first.
>>
>>30632066
Depends. The DEA has clandestine lab teams that specialize in meth house raids, usually due to toxic chemicals they go in wearing HAZMAT suits and respirators or even SCBA.

Regular SWAT teams wear gas masks to protect against CS, which some teams deploy a lot in barricade situations. If they do their own meth house hits usually they will get kitted up in similar stuff to what the clandestine lab teams wear.
>>
>>30630570
Solid 8/10 would operate with.
>>
File: DSC_0012.jpg (4 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0012.jpg
4 MB, 3008x2000
>>30630570
I after the three months of waiting for a GP-21K to arrive in the mail there's no way I wouldn't. Now if only the shipping on Russian re-breather kits wasn't so expensive.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.