[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: garand-225x300.jpg (27 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
garand-225x300.jpg
27 KB, 225x300
"In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised."- LGEN George S. Patton

Was he right, /k/?
>>
>>30629167
Its better than a bolt action but it wasn't even the best combat rifle of WW2 as a whole.

Intermediate cartridge assault rifles are simply better weapons for the majority of combat situations.
>>
>>30629167
>Was he right, /k/?
For the time maybe.
>>
>>30629167
no
>>
Honestly no.
>>
>>30629167
No, not even for his time.
>>
>>30629210
there was only like 1 type of intermediate assault rifle in WWII, semi auto rifles were like a new thing. The standard arm before the Garand was a bolt action, and that was an upgrade from a bolt action used in the Spanish American War when America liberated Cuba.
>>
>>30629210
>Its better than a bolt action but it wasn't even the best combat rifle of WW2 as a whole.

>Intermediate cartridge assault rifles

Let me guess, the STG44 that cost 4 times as much as the M1 Garand and weighed as much was the better rifle.
>>
>>30629167
He was right on a lot of things.
>Berlin gave me the blues. We have destroyed what could have been a good race, and we are about to replace them with Mongolian savages. And all Europe will be communist.
>>
>>30629210
I would LOVE ta hear dis!
>>
>>30629507
Nice reading comprehension faggot
>>30629512
>what is capacity
Also just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it was shit. It was the first of it's generation, meanwhile semi-auto rifles had been around in various forms for decades before and the Garand wasn't even the first semi-auto rifle to enter service with a major power, the US just put more resources into standardizing on the Garand than other powers did on their respective semi auto rifles.
>>
>>30629167
He liked M2 HMG more.
>>
>>30629512
Who cares if its more expensive? Assault rifles are more effective and versatile weapons than full size semi auto rifles.

This obsession some people have with full size cartridges is idiotic, in most situations lower recoil, faster followup shots and more ammunition is vastly more important.
>>
>>30629167
Was he right, maybe
is it still the greatest today? hell no
>>
>>30629512
>STG44 that cost 4 times as much

Gonna need a source on that

Towards the end of the war the STG wasn't any more expensive to produce than any other German gun. It was made to be cheap, hence why it used nearly all stamped parts.
>>
File: bavian_pølse.gif (267 KB, 400x371) Image search: [Google]
bavian_pølse.gif
267 KB, 400x371
spoiler: artillery was behind the most kills in ww2 not rifles (or MG42)
>>
>>30629630
Who doesn't love Ma Duce (aside from the poor bastard on the receiving end)?
>>
File: trailerparkboys.gif (664 KB, 195x134) Image search: [Google]
trailerparkboys.gif
664 KB, 195x134
>>30629167
the t-34 and the kv-1 probably had more of a 'actual impact on history' than the m1 did. but in regards to semi auto battle rifles, it was an excellent design
>>
>>30629167
It was great weapon when it was adopted, but it became obsolete not long after.
>>
Would have been fantastic if it was shorter, chambered in .276, and fed from a detatchable box magazine.

Which it did, before the ordnance board fucked it up.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.