[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be hypothetical dumbass who listens to fuddlore >"err,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: revolver-whole.jpg (20 KB, 400x231) Image search: [Google]
revolver-whole.jpg
20 KB, 400x231
>be hypothetical dumbass who listens to fuddlore
>"err, if you pull the trigger on a revolver and it don't fire, just pull the trigger again till it does!"
>take advice to heart
>be innarange
>go to fire revolver
>*click*
>remember bubba's advice
>just at the cylinder completely rotates away from the forcing cone, your hangfire decides to go off
>congratulations, you just blew up your gun and probably messed up your hands

Fuddlore kills
>>
File: 1281684533965.jpg (75 KB, 484x634) Image search: [Google]
1281684533965.jpg
75 KB, 484x634
>>30621973
Good point.
>>
>>30621973
Buy quality ammo and you'll never have that issue.
>>
Are hangfires even a thing anymore? I've literally never seen a round hangfire in my life and I've done a fair amount of shooting
>>
>>30622068
Only if you've been keeping your ammo in a damp-ass basement for a few decades.
>>
>>30621973
If you had pulled fast enough it would have gone all the way around already faggot.
>>
>>30621973
That statement is directed at defensive shooting, not target shooting.
>>
>>30622068
South American surplus ammo does it a lot
>>
>>30621973
anyone with a fucking brain knows to keep that shit pointed downrange and wait half a minute, unless you're in a fucking combat zone taking fire from Charlie, in which case why did you bring granddad's .38 you dumb 1971 fudd

>>30622068
They were more common in the past because inconsistency of black powder and primers but they can still happen today. It's much rarer, but still, don't take a fucking chance.
>>
>>30622086

like 360 degrees and walk away?
>>
File: 1282663424586.jpg (66 KB, 560x828) Image search: [Google]
1282663424586.jpg
66 KB, 560x828
>>30622068
I've fired maybe 250,000 rounds in my life, including WWI Turkish surplus, Soviet surplus everything, 1950s and 60s dated sporting rounds, greasy Chinese .22LR, reman ammo, old-ass handloads, etc....

I've encountered plenty of misfires, which I almost always wait on in case they're hangfires.

But, now that you mention it, I can't ever remember having a hangfire. *Maybe* like a 1/4 second hangfire or two -- like just the least noticeable delay, almost imperceptable. Come to think of it, I can't remember ever seeing anyone else get a hangfire, either.
>>
Hitler quints
>>
>>30622068
Not exactly a hangfire, but a dud. I had one in a box of 50 38 special from tulammo. After waiting for like 20 seconds I figured it was a light primer strike, tried it multiple times. Just a dud.
>>
File: 4CHAN SOLD.jpg (147 KB, 628x419) Image search: [Google]
4CHAN SOLD.jpg
147 KB, 628x419
>>30622222
>>
>>30622068
This. Never had it happen before
In all fairness, I don't buy bottom of the barrel, shitty surplus ammo.
>>
>Implying if you didn't fire it a second time you wouldn't just reholster it and wait for the hang fire to go off while it's pointed toward your lower extremities
>>
Yeah - number one, that's a defensive shooting thing in which rapid fire is a necessity. In the EXTREMELY unlikely event you get a hangfire, odds are that we fire hundreds or thousands of practice rounds before we ever get to defensive shooting once. What would having a semiauto help in case of hangfire anyway You'll still have to do the same things to rectify, you just don't have the option in a defensive situation to follow up quickly without slappin' and rackin' and prayin'.
Number two, if you are at the range, you should have the brains god gave a duck and freeze with it pointed downrange for a while anyway, this is what you trained for. Congratulations, it may never happen again in your lifetime so appreciate that you get to show that you know what the fuck you're doing.
Number three, you aren't going to blow up your gun, unless you haven't followed the training for a hangfire and start yanking the trigger immediately and multiple times. Chainfires happen occasionally with black powder revolvers, where more than one cylinder goes off at once. Take a look at your revolver. See how the cylinder before and after the one you are on conveniently have a clear path out of the front of the firearm? You'd have to literally be right in the middle of a trigger pull and rotation to have it hit your frame. Otherwise, it's just going to sail downrange a little less accurately, or with about the same accuracy if you were shooting out of a snubbie.
In other words, odds of hangfire = ridiculously low. Acting properly upon recognition of a hangfire = round goes off or doesn't and never will, before you pull the trigger again. Yanking the trigger quickly again = a tiny window within which if you didn't follow good training or were in a defensive situation where you couldn't, the bullet could go off and hit the frame.
Not a valid reason to worry about revolver shooting or claim superiority of some other firearm design over a revolver.
>>
99.999999999999999% of all the hang fires I thought I had were from a failure to feed.

>load in a new clipazine
>rack da bolt
>pull trigger
>nothing happens
>wait 30 seconds
>pull da bolt back
>visually and physically inspect the chamber
>tap
>rack
>>
When I teach people to shoot, I often load a cylinder or mag with an empty cartridge or two after training them about hangfires/misfires. Gives good opportunity for practice of what should be an automatic process that you do without thinking.
You would be surprised how many people, even fairly experienced shooters, immediately twist the firearm to the side or otherwise point it somewhere other than downrange and start trying to figure out the problem. Teachable moment.
>>
Another reason I don't mind training with crappy, low quality, or old ammo. Having a FTF, FTE, hangfire, misfire, any of those situations are still rare, but give an opportunity to practice the unlikely possibilities that you don't want happening when you're shooting defensively.
That said, I encourage training with what you're going to shoot - to a degree. I don't go to the range and shoot up my best hollowpoint or hunting ammo unless I'm trying to zero the firearm or fine tune accuracy.
>>
>>30622068

Wit modern ammunition you are far less likely to get a hang fire. If you pull the trigger and the gun doesn't bang either you have an empty chamber or a dud round.

Either way you should treat it like a hang fire
>>
File: Revolver_hangfire.jpg (114 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Revolver_hangfire.jpg
114 KB, 1024x768
I cannot think of anything more dangerous than replacing it with the arguably worse /k/ fuddlore of 'hangfires don't happen'

really, nigga?
>>
>>30622068
I've had a couple, all from surplus ammo. It was never more than a second though, and I was cognizant of the possibility of a hangfire.
>>
>>30622423
>hangfires rarely happen
>hang fired never happen
Is reading comprehension not your strong suit? Yoy may as well keep you carry peice in a locked box while driving in case an accident happens and oit shoots you. Also good job demonstrating this >>30622339.
>>
>>30622325
ive had a hangfire from a mauser, but yeah its the old surplus stuff.
>>
You are a lot more likely to encounter a jam than a hangfire. And by a lot, I mean orders of magnitude. Did I just eat bait?
>>
>>30621973
>implying it'll explode like a grenade
There's a gap between the cylinder and the barrel, as well as a top strap, a lot of that force is going to go out the cylinder gap.

Also maybe don't buy reloads from a sweaty fudd behind Dick's
>>
>>30622068
Some particular sources of surplus can do it, like there's surplus 8mm Lebel ammo still floating around which is known to hangfire a lot, like you can go through 5 rounds and four of them took a half second each to go off.

I heard someone call that stuff "Hangfire Special"
>>
>>30622549
Nevermind. I didn't read inarange.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.