[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Concealed Carry thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 38detective-043729.jpg (60 KB, 740x532) Image search: [Google]
38detective-043729.jpg
60 KB, 740x532
Does anybody here use a shoulder holster? I feel like it would be easier for a skinny person (me) to hide a gun in a shoulder holster than a hip holster. Also post approved semi autos and revolvers for CC.
>>
>>30620575
Shoulder holsters have other downsides besides the whole having to wear a jacket thing. A lot of them place the gun perfectly for someone else to use it on you.
>>
>>30620819
Yep. Most don't have modern retention features found on most open carry holsters.

Unless it points the gun downwards there is also the issue of the gun flagging whoever is behind you. May pose a risk of lethal nd if you don't practice your draw enough.
>>
>>30620575
shoulder holsters are a niche item. I have a few and they have their advantages but theyre not for everyone. Imagine wearing a back pack without the back pack part and just the straps, thats the best way I can describe it. Its irritating for some people, theyre expensive and can get tangled easily. I think everyone should at least try them but a hip holster is more basic
>>
>>30620575
I'm pondering a belly band... Considered that as an option?
>>
>>30620575

OP, I'm gonna tell you a few things.

For one, you'll get a lot of this shit >>30620819
>>30621165 from people. "Oh no it FLAGS people. Oh no it's easier for someone ELSE to draw." People throw that last one at cross-draw holsters at well. For the most part it's bullshit. Thing is, if you like that carry position the best - if it works best for you - you can compensate for other problems via training. Incorporate it into your draw practice, is what I do.

I really, really fucking hate the "IT FLAGS EVERYONE WHEN YOU DRAW IT" thing. Like, fuck you. At some point you have to fucking accept that you are carrying a fucking gun for the point of fucking shooting a bad guy if you have to. If you are DRAWING THE FUCKING WEAPON TO ENGAGE A THREAT, sitting there and whining about muzzle-sweeping everyone on your left as you draw is - it's fucking retarded. It's range-officer thinking in a fucking life or death situation. What the actual fuck. If you can't keep from NDing on the draw you shouldn't carry at fucking all.

Double goes for "flagging everyone behind you" while carrying it. IF YOUR GUN CANNOT BE TRUSTED NOT TO GO OFF RANDOMLY IN A FUCKING HOLSTER YOU SHOULD NEVER CARRY IT AT ALL, HOLY FUCK. EVERY MODERN GUN DOES NOT HAVE THIS FUCKING PROBLEM.

fuck

fuck me
>>
>>30620575
I do. Since you can conceal pretty much anything in a decent shoulder rig, it gives you a bit more flexibility. Downside is that it's sliiiiiiiiiiightly slower to draw (remedied with practice), and you need a jacket. Right now, I CC my Tok in a vertical rig, but soon I'll be looking at a custom job for my G34/X300U. And when I get one of those Baikal MP446s, I'll do the same. Sky's the limit.
>>
>>30621427
That was the main appeal to me, the fact that you can conceal a lot more things than a hip holster. Not that I want to CC a desert eagle, but the fact that there's options is nice. Because since i'm REALLY skinny I could probably only carry one of those really small Rugers or an M&P or something. Which, I could, but it's not that appealing.
>>
>>30621356
Or you can try other methods before jumping to shoulder holsters. I'm fine with controversial carry positions like appendix and shoulder holsters and what the fuck ever. But there are lots of other carry methods besides shoulder holsters and it's obvious OP is relatively new and hasn't explored his options yet. So maybe he should try those before spending money on a more controversial setup. Calm your tits brah.
>>
>>30621482

Also I will tell you from my own experience; I agonized over picking my first holster for a long time and then found out it sucked (j-hooks do not work for heavy guns.) In general you will discover that most issues with most holsters are overplayed - and that includes the issues with a regular hip holster that might convince you you need a crossdraw holster (I picked a galco scout with a j-hook over paranoia about the clip being seen and because I wanted the option to switch it to appendix carry if I wanted.) I conceal carry a 1911 on my hip and let me tell you, the fucker just vanishes. It's not hard to carry a full-size gun, not at all. Shoulder holster is better for a big revolver or something. But people like them for compact 1911s too; it all depends on what kind of clothing you typically wear.

So basically I agree with >>30621633 even though he's telling me to calm my tits. Don't think you need a shoulder holster just to conceal something big. If you DO go this route buy a "rig," with the shoulder holster leather rig, and a separate holster. That way the investment is multi-use; you can always buy a new holster to hang on the rig for whatever gun you want.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>30620575
During the winter I shoulder carry a Jericho.
Summer means a CZ-82 in my pocket.
Thank god for cabelas 7 pocket hikers pants.
>>30620819
How so?
>>
>>30621662
Do you wear baggy pants? I usually wear pretty tight skinny jeans and it would be very difficult I think to conceal a full sized pistol in a hip holster without it being completely obvious. And I don't think I'll start wearing cargo pants any time soon, I would rather use one of those micro guns.
>>
>>30621704
Depending on whether or not it's a horizontal or vertical drop rig, it can basically present the grip directly forward, at an angle that is good for someone trying to grab it from the front.

Meanwhile, it's awkward to access in a clinch with your weak hand. If you try to access it in a entangled situation with your right hand, your assailant can pin your arm to your chest and prevent you from pointing the gun in the relevant direction.

Not to say you should never carry in a shoulder holster. But from the retention standpoint there are some downsides.

>>30621759
Something like a real fullsize like a Glock 17 is probably not gonna hide well if you weigh 135lbs. That said the part that prints the worst will be the grip, not the muzzle, so the pants are not the issue unless you don't have any room at all in the waist.
>>
>>30621759
Stop wearing girl pants ya big fruit

Unless you are a girl in which case just stop wearing pants in general
>>
>>30621804
In that case it may not be that big of a problem. I still need to decide what gun I actually want to carry.

>>30621814
nevarrrr!!!!!!1
>>
>>30621759
>Do you wear baggy pants? I usually wear pretty tight skinny jeans and it would be very difficult I think to conceal a full sized pistol in a hip holster without it being completely obvious.

I just wear normal relaxed-fit jeans, actually. And a t-shirt. That's more than enough to conceal it. On the other hand I weigh in around 200 pounds; I'm not tall but I'm a thick mofo and I lift, so, there is that. But exactly as >>30621804
says it's almost always the grip that will print more (through your t-shirt, if it's too tight,) not the part in your pants.

>>30621861
>In that case it may not be that big of a problem. I still need to decide what gun I actually want to carry.

Pick a fullsize that you like the feel of and shoot well with. Then you can look for compact/subcompact guns that mimic the fullsize in features and feel. There's almost always a gun made just for you.
>>
>>30621192
I use a belly band and it works great. Alpha Holster. Gun on one side, extra large cap mag on other.
>>
File: IMG_0203.jpg (357 KB, 968x726) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0203.jpg
357 KB, 968x726
Shoulder holsters are cool as hell, but I think they're much more trouble than they're worth.

SP101 is one of the best CC revolvers you can get. Try to get the 3 inch .357 and you'll get worthwhile performance out of it. I would've bought one if they didn't sell out within an hour of being put on the shelves, but I settled for whatever they had on my 21st.
>>
>>30620575
I work a fairly active job and essentially need to wear t-shirts, and I'm not comfortable CCing my Glock 26 with a lower back holster. What other options can I look into? Shoulder holster under my T-shirt may not be ideal, but it would be out of the way while I'm working.
>>
File: 20160714_192045.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160714_192045.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>30622732
Yus
>>
>>30623792
Look into getting a belly band, they're adjustable so you can move them from your waist up to your chest. They're very nice and cheap
>>
>>30623846
Just bought one, looks like it'll work just fine, thanks senpai.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.