[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Preparing for societal meltdown
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4
File: 2.png (285 KB, 553x340) Image search: [Google]
2.png
285 KB, 553x340
Sup /k/. Lifelong gun owner and shitposter here. I finally started my big boy job and decided to buy this gun (Colt LE6920). I just bought 5 additional mags and 300 rounds of ammo (for now). I have about $1000 set aside to buy more shit. If you were in my position (prepping, target shooting, SHTF defense), what else would you get for it?
>>
>>30618760
A scope of some sort desu senpai
>>
>>30618760
more guns?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1333
>>30618760
Optics, cleaning and care equipment to keep it in good functioning order.

Aside from that it's your call.
>>
>>30618768
Any recommendations? Not looking to take down people from 400m, just something to keep people from around my house.
>>
Well I assume you already have a couple weeks worth of water.
1 gallon per person per day.
Also hope you have food stored away.
If you already prepped things you actually need to survive then I would spend some cash on an Aimpoint PRO for that thing
>>
>>30618774
I already have a couple of rifles (bolt action, small caliber, etc.) a shotgun, and a G19 for EDC. Not looking to stockpile guns at this point.

>>30618781
Didn't even think about a dedicated cleaning kit. I have a generic one now, but I will look into something more tailored. I bought a Plano carrying case as well for storage/travel if needed.

>>30618785
I don't have that much water. I will get more. I have plenty of food but I should look into some gas-powered camping stove. Living in newer suburbs = electric everything. No good.
>>
>>30618760
After food and water and batteries and toilet paper?

A sling, everyone forgets the sling but it's super important. Also more ammo and mags pre-election panic, when you see a good price.
>>
>>30618803
Good idea with the sling. Does the brand even matter? Or just get the cheapest shit?
>>
>>30618795
>I don't have that much water. I will get more.
Consider a Berkey water filter if you have rain or any nearby water sources, they're supposed to filter out bacteria and viruses even.
>>
>>30618782
I'm sure others would agree
The optic is only as good as the weapon you attach it to, if your gun is of a mediocre quality any mid range scope will do.

Putting an $800 scope on a $200 Plinker does not a $1,000 laser guided death dealing rifle make.

I see a lot of people investing in scopes and what not and finding it does nothing to their set up and being confused.

Research well, spend wisely and be aware of your rifles capabilities and it'll be just what you need
>>
>>30618781

Seconding the cleaning kit in particular.

I cannot stress enough about having clean weapons. You aren't fighting the fucking janjaweed in Sudan, clean yo' shit after you've fired it and before you put it away. I've seen some nasty-looking weapons in my time and injuries that came about as a result of poor maintenance
>>
>>30618814
You don't need something Gucci, but might be nice to have one that isn't complete dogshit if you need to have the gun slung for any length of time and/or you want to use it for slinging up the gun while firing for stability.

Also, you want a 2-point sling. You aren't doing vehicle ops where 1-point slings shine, and 3-points are supposed to be dogshit.
>>
>>30618820
I've seen more the reverse, people putting shit scopes on 0.5 MOA guns and wondering why they can't get hits at range.

A good 1-4x with illuminated dot like a Vortex should suit OP well.
>>
>>30618816
I am in Houston, so it rains all the fucking time. In the summer, almost every day. I'm not seeing collection systems for the Berkey filter. Worst case, I can just leave a can outside and then bring it in to the filter system. Good call.

>>30618820
Good advice. I know the Colt AR/M4 platform isn't top of the line, but it certainly isnt cheap either. Like I said, don't want to take people down from 400+m, just want to protect my home and family.

>>30618831
I really hate the 1 point slings. I see Magpul makes a 2-point sling that is padded for $60. Is that a good product, or am I just paying for the name?
>>
>>30618795
A couple 5 gallon long term water storage jugs from amazon.
Also get a lifestraw, if shit goes down fill your bath tub and if you have to you can sip out of the tub with the lifestraw.

Buy a couple propane tanks too for your grill that ain't a bad idea.

But seriously man you cannot underestimate how much water you need or overestimate how much you have.
Doesn't matter if you have a million rounds of 5.56 and 20 AR15s, a couple days without water will fuck you up.
>>
File: image.jpg (450 KB, 1784x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
450 KB, 1784x1000
>>30618849
Yea I can imagine both scenarios being pretty common. It's just researching well, knowing the capabilities of the rifle and for precision shooting the reticle and how to properly utilise it are important.

As a britbong I have limited experience as we only really need long range optics and the whole CQC Tacticool red dots are a mystery
>>
>>30618785
>ALEXJONES.JPG
Water Filters to make your own Big Berkey

if you dont hate doing it, reloading gear for your main calibers. you can score some cheap as fuck with luck and some hunting.

a good axe. I'm not going to touch the argument that follows this with a 10 foot pole.

yard impliments, shovels etc.

LOTS OF SALT AND SUGAR. LOTS. like as much as you can store. you'd be suprised how much you use, and can use for preservation, calories, and trade. get every grain you can. and spices. loads of them.

dried pool bleach. lots of it off season if you can.

simple green, and brass bristle brushes from harbor freight.

motor oil. clean. lots.
>>
>>30618866
Good advice. I learned a lot about the importance of water while I was in the boy scouts (lame, I know), but I guess I haven't given it priority. I guess I am just ignoring the fundamentals.

>>30618891
Would a good sharp shovel be a good substitute for an axe? My brother was an Army Ranger, and he won't shut the fuck up about his shovel. Am I missing something here?

Also, why pool bleach?
>>
File: ce2.png (99 KB, 400x268) Image search: [Google]
ce2.png
99 KB, 400x268
>>30618760
I would buy a plate carrier and some good level III plates.
>>
>>30618918
https://youtu.be/b60OZhrTB6o

But generally a good general purpose blade and a good camp axe go a long way
>>
Micro Red Dot. Sling. And a way to carry those four extra mags. For just around the house, a sling bag would be fine. Spend the rest on ammo.
>>
>>30618918
Sterilising water using pool bleach is my guess?
>>
>>30618918
>>30618951
Bleach is so you can make a pool in your bathtub. Everyone needs to relax, even in an apocalypse.
>>
>>30618918
pool bleach will store forever, unlike store bottle bleach. bleach is love, bleach is life. clean your toilet/shitter, so you dont get a horribly crippling UTI and end up shooting yourself from the pain when you dont have antibiotics.

his shovel, and a yard bury a nigga shovel are two different creatures. get both if you can. An axe is something you need that is specialized just as a chopping tool. you will cut your shit open trying to use a regular shovel to chop wood.

>>30618951
and cleaning chow impliments, and washing, and sterilizing water for wound care, its useful shit.

>>30618966
>>30618966
this nigga gets it. splish splash, motherfuckers. hottubs get bitches wet in the post apocalypse.
>>
>>30618941
That video started out pretty meh, but I will be damned if that wasn't cool as shit.
>>
>>30618782
Just get some irons to start. I bought cheap $14 sights a year ago, and they haven't left zero yet.
>>
>>30618978
Rifle comes with a Magpul MBUS flip sight on the rear, A2 on the front. Good enough?
>>
>>30618941
well shit. time to hit up /g/'s /csg/ thread.
>>
Ammo range time and classes. A flashlight and a way of mounting is the only other thing you really need. Neato cool optics stocks rails and handguards are mostly unnecessary if you cant hit shit
>>
>>30619033
I have been looking into a flashlight. Seems like a great tool. Handguard is the Magpul M-LOK. I should be able to find a light that fits it. If not, I can mount soem rails on it and have it work that way.

I have heard mounting the light at the front of the gun is the best. Is this just trolling or legit?
>>
>>30619062
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4zBPoLmmNQ
>>
>>30619097
Solid advise. Don't plan on changing out the A2 birdcage, but still good info. Thanks man.
>>
>>30619115
dude is cool as fuck, I've met him at the gunshow, he's fucking hilarious when you get him started on the fudds, mallninjas, chinese bootleggers selling fake shit, and taser salesmen acting like the god of thunder.
>>
>>30619135
Where did you meet him? I met Colion Noir once at a gun show here in Houston. Really level headed guy.
>>
>>30619208
fayetteville NC gunshow. its a fucking dreadful gunshow, half flea market for not even remotely firearms or millitaria related shit, and hideously overpriced dregs.

even the jerky sucks. the NRA and GOA people are cool as hell though.

we both marveled at how there were 4 stands selling those ruger AR's, one for like $500 when even the shittiest AR was going for close to a grand (deltron), but hte same exact model, but with less freebies from ruger sold for $1200-1500.

we took turns doing a play by play of the booths. the chinese bootleg stand for lights and sights, was so bootleg that they even had chinese people staffing it. they only wanted $50 for a $8 light with no cells or charger that used 18650 rechargeables.

it was so bootleg the sign was misspelled on purpose. the laser sights were so goddamn fake, they had caps you could switch out with different designs when it lit something up.
>>
I'm legally barred from owning firearms. What else can I do to protect myself and prepare for a shitstorm?
>>
>>30619313
Wasp spray is about as good as you can get for long-range defense.

What did you do, anon?
>>
>>30619313
learn kung fu. black powder revolvers.
>>
>>30619335

When I was 14 or so I was sent by a family court to a mental hospital for a month for evaluation, and then later to group home for a year for prolonged and flagrant truancy, and that qualifies as an "involuntary commitment" so I can't pass a NICS check. I also live in a state where all private sales must go through FFLs. Inter-state private sales are also federally required to go through an FFL even in states where intrastate FTF transfers do not.
>>
>>30619369
>>30619369
wasnt your records sealed at 18? ask a lawyer. you may have been royally lied to by the gubmint
>>
>>30619410

Juvenile records are sealed from public view but they can not be sealed for law enforcement agencies contrary to common belief. Mental health facilities send ALL records to state agencies who then forward it to the FBI for the NICS index. Court orders are also available to the FBI.
>>
>>30619432
Does that kind of stuff have a sunset? Or is this a lifelong ban from owning firearms?
>>
>>30619432
my shit never showed up on a nics check. i tried to kill myself as a kid, (loledgyasfuck), and went into a mental ward for a month.
>>
>>30618855
>I really hate the 1 point slings. I see Magpul makes a 2-point sling that is padded for $60. Is that a good product, or am I just paying for the name?
Probably both. I got a non-padded Magpul sling for less than that, it's certainly nicely made. Don't think I'd be paying $60 for it though...
>>
>>30618855
>I'm not seeing collection systems for the Berkey filter. Worst case, I can just leave a can outside and then bring it in to the filter system. Good call.
That's the idea. Best to have a second purification method in case Murphy strikes your filter.

>>30618866
Lifestraws suck, get a Sawyer if you want a little portable filter, it strains way more shit out.
>>
>>30619468

I've looked pretty thoroughly at the state laws and I've seen no evidence of there being any such thing.

Basically, the hysteria about "mentally ill" people has caught a huge subset of people in a legal situation where our rights are being denied. I'm 28 years old, I have a college degree and make close to 6 figures, I pay my debts and take care of myself, I do not have a criminal record, and meanwhile there's people with actual criminal records who can own weapons yet I can not.

There is a convoluted, complicated appeals process in my state but you have to gather so much fucking information that it's practically impossible, and they don't even have to accept the appeal. I'm in the very early stages of attempting to gather this information. But I feel pretty hopeless about the whole thing.

This is the process: https://www.omh.ny.gov/omhweb/nics/requirements.html

This is going to take at least a year and I'm not sure I have the motivation to go through with it, which I guess is what they're counting on.

>>30619494

Where you ordered there by a court? It has to be a court order.
>>
>>30619511
>New York

There is your problem. Why not move to a real state that actually respects your freedoms? Why the FUCK would you live int hat shit hole???
>>
>>30619540

Moving would not help me, senpai. This will follow me wherever I go. The ONLY way is if I successfully complete the appeal process in NY, otherwise those records remain with the NICS index and FFLs will deny me across the country.
>>
>>30619018
MBUS are the best SHTF option, the polymer flexing means they don't lose their point of aim nearly as much as metal sights if they're dropped or banged.

Vurrwapen blog did a whole test about this, whereas other sights got way off from a mere drop, he was swinging the MBUS like a sledgehammer to whack them and barely losing his zero.

The fixed FSB meanwhile is like a rock.
>>
>>30619313
1) make friends/tribe with people who DO have guns
2) blackpowder MAY be legal in your state for you if US
3) crossbows
4) really potent airguns maybe? Airguns are at least useful to bag small game.
5) see number one, these people should be like family, if SHTF kicks off then eff the law you can use one of their guns in group defense
>>
>>30619566
Kinda depends on the metal sights in question, Diamondhead and Troy irons aren't exactly known for being stellar. I'd like to see how a KAC or MBUS PRO sight would handle those drop tests.
>>
>>30619540
This isn't a state thing, it's a federal thing, essentially anyone who has ever been admitted to a hospital for any mental health reason at any point in their life can be permenantly denied for "having need admitted to a mental institution" in many cases this denial will actually be completely baseless legally because the admission doesn't actually meet the definition required by the law, but the appeal process ridiculous.

The Mental Illness boogeyman is just another excuse for the left to prevent literally anyone that they can from having guns.

I'd like to add that the vast majority of people prevented from having guns for "mental health" reasons in NICS are actually veterans, hundreds of thousands of whom have been deprived of their rights because the VA, which has no judicial authority whatsoever decided so.

Expanding the background check system and talk about monitoring of the "mentally ill" is all part of a drive to deny putting as many people as possible on a government list of people who aren't allowed guns. It's just another vector for a mass firearms ban.
>>
>>30619605
Shoot Vuurwapen an email and ask if he'd run the tests, this is the same guy who was part of the 40,000 round AR test where they compared steelcase and brass. Testing a few more sights would be peanuts compared to the dosh he's thrown around on some of his testing (to include all the chemical comparisons of various gun lubes he's paid for--hilarious when one turned out to be literally Crisco and Froglube turned out to be a rollercoaster lube with a mint smell added).
>>
>>30619674
Also 20% of Americans have had a diagnosed mental illness at some point in their lives and almost none of these people are at any point a danger to themselves or others, so when someone asks a question like "Do you think it's okay for mentally ill people to have guns?" remember the scale of what they're really implying.

They're trying to leverage the stigma of mental illness to justify treating a massive fraction of the population worse than violent criminals. Criminals at least get trials.
>>
>>30618760
A light, something like the new rail mount Streamlight protac. A 2pt sling, VTAC and VCAS are proven. The VTAC is very affordable as well.
>>
>>30619732

Isn't he being sued by Fireclean because of those tests?
>>
>>30619780
>VTAC and VCAS are proven
You mean they are promoted by figureheads with influence in the firearms accessory industry.

They look like probably solid products but for the cash:value ratio, there are better options.
>>
>>30619789
Yep, they're the Crisco lube.

Today is actually when the motion to dismiss the case is ruled on. It's gone in his favor so far.
>>
>>30619732
i thought froglube was coconut oil with mint essential oil added.
>>
>>30619807
>http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/general-opinion/lies-errors-and-omissions/froglube-tracklube-and-seal1-laboratory-analysis/
>>
>>30618855
Nigga it's been like a month since it last rained
Although when it does rain it does flood like hell
>>
>>30619800

I really hope it does go his way, I wish someone could fully fund him for all kinds of future test. Love his approach.
>>
>>30619833
neat.
>>
>>30619853
Damn, am I really that behind on washing my car? My excuse for leaving it dirty was because rain.
>>
I don't think it's a very realistic event, if you mean an absolute anarchistic breakdown.

However, riots and such? Yes, your best knowledge would be, in my opinion, about SABC and more survival-geared training. You can practice shooting under pressure, too.
>>
>>30619872
I like ShootingTheBull's approach even better, Vuurwapen is good but not ideal at keeping biases out of his recommendations.

His take on Frog Lube was "I don't even see why I should bother considering this". Yet in this guy's test: http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread/274/review-comparison-gun-care-products , Frog Lube was one of the top performers. FP-10, which Vuurwapen recommended? Pretty poor performance in those tests. At the end of the day, does it matter if Frog Lube and TrackLube are the same?

>that said, it doesn't like cold weather apparently, and a friend of mine tried it before finding out that it turns to gunk when you use any petroleum-based oils as well--that is, you basically have to use ONLY Frog Lube or it'll start sticking up your gun
>>
I am just going to kill myself when shtf. I won't survive without my meds.
>>
>>30618760
A handgun
>>
>>30619796
VTAC is a $40 sling. I dunno what you're finding that has a better cash:value ratio but I wanna know about it.
>>
>>30620068
Was like $60-70 last I'd checked, so fair enough.
>>
If you're on a tight budget sling wise the Way of the Gun sling is $30. Not as fast to adjust as the VTAC but it does the job.
>>
>>30619548
Whatever, move to Idaho. You can privately but just about any gun with no paper work.
>>
>>30620136
Budget isn't really an issue. Just don't want to spend too much money on a brand rather than quality.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.