[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cleaning after shooting corrosive? Hey guys, I need to know the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 1458868756365.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
1458868756365.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
Cleaning after shooting corrosive? Hey guys, I need to know the best/cheapest/easiest/whatever you do that works way to clean after shooting corrosive. I don't want to fuck up my baby. Sorry for being a newfag
>>
>>30612861

> make a pentagram of slavshit
> drizzle hot cosmoline around it
> leave a bottle of vodka and a pack of cigarettes inside it as an offering
> hear a deep, cackling voice speaking in Georgian
> later, find that your entire neighborhood has been ransacked with every male shot and every female raped
>>
For a bolt rifle?
Remove bolt and wipe down with a solvent. Dump a pot full of hot water down the barrel, let dry, then clean and oil as normal
>>
>>30612900

My sides just went into fucking orbit around Saturn.
>>
Hot water, or any sort of water. Hot water just dries easier

The windex and ammonia for corrosive cleaning it fuddlore.
>>
>>30612919
>>30612965
Thanks guys.
>fuddlore
I assume this essentially means old wives tales for guns? Stuff like "ARs jam a lot" and "muh stopping power"?
>>
>>30612861
WWII bore cleaner was designed for corrosive ammo. It was made with the same shit they put in permanent markers. Look up its composition and use that. Otherwise, use regular bore cleaner, water, then bore cleaner, then oil. The corrosive compounds are water soluble. If you don't thoroughly clean the barrel, you'll get rust crystals the entire length -- it will look like landscaping pumice. This will pit your barrel, so don't let it happen.

Pushing patches from the breech to the muzzle ONLY:

-patch with reg bore cleaner
-patch with warm water
-dry patch
-patch with reg bore cleaner
-dry patch
-patch with oil, preferably CLP or something similar
>>
I use sweet's 7.62 and then clean like normal, but you should be able to just use some hoppe's.
Don't use the winded method unless you scrub your barrel good afterwards. The ammonia will eat your barrel worse than the salts if don't get it all out. My nugget barrel is frosted from this because I was using the real watery Remington 40x bore cleaner when I first started shooting, kind of ironic I switched to sweet's I guess
>>
>>30612919
>>30612965

^ I didn't read either of those before posting this:

>>30613011

Good job, /k/. I'm glad you're not retarded.
>>
>>30613011
>>30613037
OP here again, thanks a lot! You guys rock.

I'm kinda paranoid about somehow not being able to get the water out and it rusts my locking lugs though, should I worry?
>>
>>30613003
The ammonia method works if you're super lazy and your oil is shit (like old 50's household oil shit). Like, in WWI and WWI it wasn't fuddlore.

Water works just fine as long as you use modern bore clearner and a modern CLP oil, too.
>>
File: 1462295171052.jpg (152 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1462295171052.jpg
152 KB, 960x960
>>30612900
Thank you for gracing my thread with such a story.
First post best post
>>
>>30613090
Ok thanks! I guess the goal is to get rid of the water soluble rust-inducing salts?
>>
>>30613011
>from the breech to the muzzle ONLY
Can I ask why?
>>
>>30613078
Nah, hot water in a barrel you've been shooting evaporates pretty quick. Have a beer while it dries out.
>>
>>30613228
So as not to fuck up your muzzle.

I usually pour a bottle of water down the barrel then run a bore snake coated in clp before heading home
>>
>>30613228
Cleaning rods can fuck up your crown. If you use a pull through or bore snake it doesn't matter.
>>
Ok op it's super easy to be lazy with corrosive
>rifle in shower
>dry
>oil
>done
Thats it.
>>
>>30613377
Just use an aluminium rod and it doesn't really matter, ideally a single piece but whatever. Try not using the one included with your nugget.
>>
>>30613377
Not coated or brass rods. There are also bore guides.

Although the primary benefit of back to front is so that the shit doesn't come raining down on the action. Of course, there are also certain guns that have accessories for that, like the grand buddy.

bore snakes and flex rod fucking suck for any sort of deep cleaning and are only good for range quickies.
>>
>>30613273
>>30613337
Sheeeiit....
It's been 2 days since I was shooting, did I fuck up already?
>>
>>30613688
With no cleaning at all? Yes. Pour some water in there right now then soak with cleaner, scrub with bronze brush, dont reverse while inside wait for it to fully come out. You damaged your bore.
>>
>>30613688
no, just get to it asap.
>>
>>30612861
All it takes is running water through the barrel, on the bolt face, and on the firing pin. That's it. Not windex, not Hoppes #9 Black Powder solvent, not whatever kooky fudd bullshit concoction Uncle Russ told you to use. Plain water.

Then clean like normal. I've never had a gun rust on my and my bores are mirrors. Any other answer is pure nonsense.
>>
>>30613723
>You damaged your bore
unless you live somewhere really humid and your shit is corroding already.
>>
>>30613723
I mean it wasn't even close to a decent bore when I got it anyway.. but fuck me in the ass
>>
>>30613725
OP here again. I lost my fucking cleaning kit.....
turning the house upside down to find it
>>
>>30613688
Depends on where you live

>Desert
You're fine
>Not desert
Might see some rust
>Humid area
You're fucked
>>
File: 123.jpg (64 KB, 834x960) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
64 KB, 834x960
>>30613742
Yeah your mileage may vary but I live somewhere with minimum 60% humidity all year. I keep my stuff with a thick coat of oil and clean one every week.
>>
File: 1468126637394.jpg (104 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1468126637394.jpg
104 KB, 540x720
>>30613773
How about South Carolina?
Pic related
>>
>>30613773
This. I am in Wisconsin and I have waited a couple days b4 cleaning and it was fine.
>>
Op again. Finally found the kit. Hopefully it's not too late

>>30613564
I assume you take all the wood off for this?
>>
>>30613921
not really unless you are me and have a chunk out of the stock that water pours into if you wash the bore out incorrectly although it is never a bad idea to take the action and barrel out of the stock and oil it alot. All I do for cleaning corrosive is pour warm-hot water down the bore and over the bolt head and first bit of firning pin, then I dry it off with cloths or paper towels, jamming a cloth up into the locking lugs and chamber area usually dries it out pretty good especially with warm water. Then I run a dry patch through the bore and then clean as normal
>>
>>30614131
Ok thanks
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.