[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stun Guns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: taser-m26c-review1.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
taser-m26c-review1.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
So I currently own a few pistols and rifles, but for a self defense purpose a pistol isn't very reliable to instantly take down an attacker (you have to hit the central nervous system)

Stun guns can provide an instant take down, but they also aren't always guaranteed. I see videos all the time of cops using them on some drugged up dude and the suspect not going down.

So, my question is. Is this because cops aren't allowed to use a taser that's over a certain power threshold since they are supposed to be non-lethal? Are there stun guns on the market (or are you able to modify them in such a way) that would almost give you a 100% result on a take down by increased voltage/amps?
>>
Get a tsun gun instead. They can be imported cheaply, are legal even in Japan, and can shoot up to 600 deres per minute.
>>
>>30607333
Not really, more a question of proper deep skin contact. A more reliable stun gun would fire fuck off large prongs at very high speed. Of course that would cause ugly lacerations and might fuck up a body part by going too deep.
>>
Just want to add, I'm basically looking for a way to guarantee a take down before someone could return fire on you. With a pistol you most likely aren't dropping them immediately so there is a good chance you get shot back at.

My thought was with a stun gun you probably have a better shot instantly stopping them, and you could also carry something like a bond arms snake slayer, tase them, pull out the snake slayer and pop them in the head.
>>
>>30607408

You're gonna stop more fights early with a pistol than a stun gun. If you're going against armed thugs with anything other than a reliable firearm, you may not be so smart.
>>
>>30607426
I think it would be better against a single thug, but it would be basically useless against more than one.
>>
>>30607438

I think you're, again, maybe not so smart on this subject.

For perspective, in my LE experience, tasers are hit or miss. Some people get tased and instantly do the jello-jam and some people get tasted and attempt to pull the barbs out and bring them back to you.

But all people stay shot once shot. Doesn't matter if it's a 115 pound girl or a 315 pound guy, a bullet through the left lung is a bullet. And if you're smart, you're shooting controlled pairs and prepared to fire multiple pairs at multiple targets. In the time you can "shoot them with the stun gun and then pop them in the head" a good gunman can have stopped 1-2 targets and be moved on to another threat.
>>
Alright, so I found this on a police news site.

A single application of a Taser could not be relied upon to be successful unfailingly. Indeed, Taser was "ineffective" 23% of the time from a single application. However, the researchers point out, "Taser training stresses the use of multiple applications in order to bring a suspect under control."

So, you have a 77% chance of taking down someone. It seems pretty close to a pistol, I think I remember reading that there was a 50/50 of whether someone would stop aggression or not simply based on fight/flight when shot. Out of the half that would continue to fight you needed to land that central nervous system hit to stop them. So if you can get a 50% rate of central nervous system hit then you can match the succcess of the Taser.

But, again I don't know if this is becuase police tasers are under powered or not, if there are some that can basically kill a person...
>>
>>30607477
You are mixing 'shot' with 'stopped', shooting someone doesn't stop them. Unless you hit central nervous system they are still a threat and can return fire. It takes time for someone to be incapacited otherwise from a bullet wound.
>>
>>30607333
I don't know who told you that pistols won't drop a person, but they are wrong. A 9mm HP to the chest/torso will do a lot of damage and almost always be sufficient. They make take a step or shift their weight before they fall, but their body knows that it's been hit hard and they start to go into shock.
>>
>>30607506

Shooting provides a more reliable stop than a taser, though. But you tell me what people do when they're shot and tased.
>>
>>30607550
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power
>>
File: 659774.jpg (126 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
659774.jpg
126 KB, 640x640
>single shot taser has an 80% chance of stopping a person with a solid connect
>380 ACP has an 80% chance of stopping a person with a single torso shot
>380 ACP bullet comes with 5 of its buddies lined up and ready to go after the first one hits its mark

For defense purposes, using a taser when you have a REAL weapon is just...
>>
>>30607562
>http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

Explicitly states that almost half of the 9mm shootings were with ball ammo and acknowledges that this skewed the data.
>>
>>30607638
What hole did you pull those statistics out of? You think a 380 ACP has 80% chance to stop an attacker with a single shot?
>>
>>30607669

Are you OP?
>>
>>30607681
Yes, I'm not even saying I'm right. The point was to have a discussion but instead people are too afraid to think differently and just make shit up.
>>
>>30607690

I'm not that guy, I'm >>30607477

I've seen people shot and seen people tased, which one do you think lead to the most stopped perps?

There's nothing wrong with creative thinking, the gun community really needs more of it, so thank you for what you're doing here.

But there's some instances in which reinventing the wheel just leaves you with a shittier wheel.
>>
>>30607408
>tase them, pull out the snake slayer and pop them in the head.
Enjoy your prison time.
>>
>>30607333
I'd say very loosely they're about even, it's just dead men can't take you to court, especially armed dead men.
>>
Pretty much every self defense option is illegal in Canada because niggers in Toronto were Macing and Tazing each other all the time.

Pretty much your only effective option in Canada is Dog mace in the City and Bear mace a little farther north. Its all about intent, with these you can say you had a legitimate fear of Dog or Bear attacks and when the melanin enriched gentleman asked for your wallet it is what you had on you at the time.

I would love to see Canada implement a Concealed Carry option to citizens, but it is unlikely at this time. When terror strikes again however I will see if I can get Law enforcement, Gun owners and ex-military on the topic of private 2 week training course camps for citizens to attend to get a concealed carry permit
>>
>>30608083
Get a giant pit bull, say the mace was for the dog incase he ever got out of control. Have the dog attack the nig nog, and 'accidently' miss the dog and mace the nig nog while your dog is tearing it apart.
>>
>>30607333
Aim for the throat.
>>
>>30607344
Holy mother of underrated posts.
>>
>>30607333
Taser is crap I went through sensitivity training and can personally verify that a taser wont stop everyone and pepper spray and CS gas are crap. Worst was the CS gas and I was still more than functional after getting tased hurts for a whole of one second then your attacker will just be pissed.
>>
>>30607333

What if you miss or just don't sink the barbs in a sensitive spot?

If I miss with the Glock, I can follow up with 14 more rounds in a hurry.
>>
>>30608765
I think you meant if one of the barbs doesn't connect or hits some nylon part of their clothing.
>>
>>30608387
Thank you, thank you. I'm surprised day/k/are didn't pick up on it with all the weebs.
>>
>>30608855
It was subtle. I totally missed the "tsun" initially, and actually stopped to consider what a "dere" was a unit for. Then I understood and misplaced my sides.
>>
I use the taser x26p on the job. The only way the taser will lock someone up is to get a good spread of the probes. The taser will only lock up the muscles between those two probes. If the probes are close to each other, you are really only drive stunning them. If you can hit them from a distance such as one in the shoulder and one in the calf, they will go down.
>>
I'm thinking of getting one mainly because I'd like to walk to a bar at night. Can't bring a gun inside. Not safe to walk home. Taxi is overkill for the short distance. Also, if I'm the one starting a fight I don't want to kill someone if I'm drunk and stupid.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.