[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This may be a really dumb question, but bear with me If the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 308_Winchester_FMJSP.jpg (136 KB, 996x561) Image search: [Google]
308_Winchester_FMJSP.jpg
136 KB, 996x561
This may be a really dumb question, but bear with me

If the velocity of .308 is 940 meters per second
And the velocity of 5.56 is the same

Why do people use 308 instead of 556 for precision rifles?
>>
Bigger round, more powder=Better stopping power/takedown power when hunting.
>>
>>30606472
Because one bullet is bigger? Jesus even a no guns can figure this out if he paid attention to middle school physics.

Obviously the wind will move it less. And it delivers more energy. And travels a longer distance.
>>
>>30606472
Fire both at a range, you'll figure out the difference very quickly.
>>
>>30606472
I N E R T I A
N
E
R
T
I
A

308 has more mass than 223, ergo it is more prone to keep doing as it do rather than fall prey to the suggestions of wind and friction.
>>
>>30606472
What is Physiks
>>
>>30606603
Baby don't integrate me.
>>
>>30606570
Why are you acting like a know it all cunt? Just answer the question without the attitude.
>>
Sectional density.

>>30606570

So a 338 federal would be better at range than a 6.5x47?
>>
Why use 5.56 instead of awesome manly 7.62? Only a woman or a child whines about weight and recoil.
>>
They don't have the same velocity...

And 556 out of an m4 is like 1200
>>
>>30606649
You said it yourself, you asked a dumb question
>>
>>30606649
Cause you asked a stupid question and you got called stupid in the answer, stop being a stupid faggot and go back to summer school you can get out of the fifth grade. And I'm not who you replied to.
>>
>>30606472
Because that is what is normally used, or was for the last 50 some odd years. the 6mm race is starting to take over tho.

5.56x45 is great for precision as well tho, tho the max effective range is a tad shorter than the .308/ 7.62x51 and it has a harder time with Wind, which at longer ranges is even more pronounced.

Why do you ask anon? looking into getting into the long range game or the precision game?
>>
>>30606472
Basic mechanics.

You throw a 1kg stone from catapult with the speed of 100m/s

Then you throw 10kg stone from bigger catapult at 100 m/s.

Which one will de-accelerate faster?
>>
Ballistic coefficient, OP.
Watch tibobobobosaurus rex's sniper 101 series and learn much.
>>
>>30606472
the distance at which the bullet goes sub sonic is important
as sound waves catching up to the bullet can disturb its movement

there is also another trade off
a higher velocity gives cross wind less time to act on the bullet
but a lighter bullet will be more easily moved from its path

kinetic energy = (1/2) * m * v^2
This means that doubling mass doubles the kinetic energy, while doubling velocity quadruples kinetic energy
>>
>>30606472
>bullet is bigger
>therefore is heavier
>therefore by simple ballistics it can travel longer and has more "punch", i.e. hits faster, i.e. longer effective range

bait.
>>
>>30606761
This, and 556 is a fine hunting round, for medium game, with the right bullet, within 400 yards.
>>
>>30606611
No Moore.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.