[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NoGuns here, considering his first gun. Opinions on the Springfield
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 27445.jpg (33 KB, 1000x254) Image search: [Google]
27445.jpg
33 KB, 1000x254
NoGuns here, considering his first gun.

Opinions on the Springfield M1A?
>>
>>30605689
Fun gun. Accurate, good irons, great history, heavy...though it is a battle rifle.

Price of ammo and mags will aggravate you over time regardless of how much money you have. Buy in bulk if possible. There is still very good surplus floating around but don't overpay for it. Unfortunately its been so long since I've purchased 7.62Nato in bulk that I don't know what "overpay" means any longer.
>>
>>30605714
Not op but what are your thoughts on using strippers at first until I get a deal on 7.62? I am aware it is less practical than changing mags but dammit it is fun
>>
>>30605736

nothing wrong with strippers for casual shooting
>>
>>30605689

Do you want a precision rifle: there are better options for less.

Do you want a battle rifle : there are better options for less.

Do you want a semi auto hunting rifle : There are better options for less.

Do you want a .308 Garand? There are better options out there.

Do you want an m1a : There is no substitute

I love my m1a, but know what it is before you get involved with it.
>>
>>30605932
>Do you want a .308 Garand? There are better options out there.
M8.
>>
>>30605689
I wouldn't pick an M14 for a first rifle but that's just me.
>>
>>30605932
Can you give examples to any of theses
>>
>>30605689
Not the best Battle Rifle on the market

Not the best M1A manufacturer on the market

Not the best first gun
>>
For $1500, you too can have a gun that's mediocre compared to not only battle rifles, but other M-14s as well.

Seriously, this would make for a real shoddy first gun. Get an AR, or an AK, or anything else that's halfway reliable and doesn't shoot ammo that starts at $0.35 a pop for Tulashit.
>>
>>30605689
I live in California, so this is one of the few semi-autos the liberals give us. Also it has nostalgia purposes, I own one because my father used an M14 in Vietnam.
>>
Allergic to dust and sand.

Even a little will make the rifle useless.

Other than that, good rifle.
>>
>>30606476
this meme

and the Garand jamed just as much in ww2. it was not reliable at all
>>
>>30606501
>Garand jamed just as much in ww2. it was not reliable at all
Literally the opposite of the historical record, but okay.
>not even him
>>
>>30606517
did you know? the m1garand/m1a action is unreliable soldiers would often not even make it through 1 clip before having to totally throw the gun away and get a new one.

its a shit action, even 1 speck of dust renders it inoperable
>>
>>30606663
Translator's note for the assburgers in the audience: this is sarcasm. Calm thy tendies.
>>
>>30606339
M1a standard cost is around: $1,499.00

Precision rifle for under 1500 ( Cost of weapon only)
Ruger Precision rifle : $1,300
Savage 10 Fpc-SR $785.00
Savage 12 $1,300
Howa M1500 HB $530
> Could get a McMillan stock and keep it under $1,200.
CZ-USA CZ 550 Satin Luxe $1,029

Battle rifle:

PTR 91FR $1,035.00

DPMS LR-308 $1,149.00

DPMS LAR-308B $999.00

DSA FAL SA58 $1,029.99

VEPR 54R Price: $1,345.00

CA C308 ( ew...probably not this one but you can get almost two for the cost of an m1a new) $799.99

Semi auto hunting rifle: see above, and add every ar-15 variarnt you can think of for under $1,500 , or any semi auto really,

>>30605950
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/567100593
Better at being a .308 Garand than an m1a is.

But that's just what I could compile in 30 mins using a standard m1a as a cost example, if you get into the fancy stuff it can get up to around 3k, explore your options and really ....really.. think about an m1a before you get it. Know exactly what your doing before buying it. Go read the mountain of forums about the m14/m1a there are also many many reloading books on the ins and outs of this gun. One advantage to this gun is the military has had it in R&D for damn near 60 years, there is a lottta info on them.

have fun Op. Enjoy what ever gun you get.
>>
>>30606749
>add every ar-15 variarnt you can think of for under $1,500
Jesus man, that's like 3/4 of the market
>>
>>30606766
For a hunting rifle ( less than 150 M on average) Most rifles under 1500$ would work just fine. ( 2 -3 MOA required for 'ethical " reason)
>>
>>30605689
OP if you really really love the M1A then go for it. If youre looking for something that just shoots 308 then go for a PTR 91 or DSA FAL both will be better quality for cheaper or around the same price.

Not saying the M1A is bad by any metric, SA puts out good stuff but for your first gun maybe get something under 1k to learn the basics on. I'm sure, you've hear it a thousand time now but maybe buy an ar15. They're great quality for the cost if you buy from reputable manufacturers. I mean fuck you can an M&P Sport 2 for like under $700 and have a lifetime warranty
>>
>>30606749
Different anon than OP, but why is the C308 "ew"? Is it just poor compared to the other rifles you listed, or is it bad in general?
>>
>>30606911
I will disclaim that I have only handled a c308 once, I did not like it. The fit and finsish was Meh, accuracy was "not worth 1.20 a round" and just generally preferred the PTR's and Fal's that i've fired. I'm willing to say it could have just been the single rifle I fired. But I will leave that for you to dig around on the net to find other people's experiences.

I will admit , if you're in a pinch and need 7.62 RFN, on the cheap, then it might be the answer.

here ya go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUE1l-2yR3M
>>
>>30606420
A Mini-14 would be a better choice even.

>>30606476
Maybe OP doesn't live in the dustbowl or crawl through muddy trenches all day?

>>30606501
It did alright, but the M1 would have had a miserable time in the trenches of WW1, if we're gonna be real.

>>30606911
It's one of those guns that Century does more work on than most of what they import.

And it's well known that anything that Century tries to do on their own is usually a catastrophe, see the RAS47 (dogshit) Vs. the WASR-10/63 (alright)
>>
Springfield M1A is a great rifle. For that price however you can get so much more, especially because you are new to firearm ownership.

If you are Canadian I would have recommended the Norinco M1A. It is a chink copy of the Springfield M1A but for only about 400$. Due to import bans in the states however goodluck finding one for that price.

Up to you in the end, I would recommend however buying a few cheaper firearms to keep your interest in the activity up and learning some of the key skills to firearm ownership such as:
>Firearm Maintenance and cleaning
>Proper Storage and handling
>Sleeping in your bed surrounded by your new best friends

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.