[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/, I was saving up for a SCAR but when I was looking t
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: left.jpg (18 KB, 731x198) Image search: [Google]
left.jpg
18 KB, 731x198
Hey /k/, I was saving up for a SCAR but when I was looking through Simpson Ltd's catalog I saw this:

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=43578

It's an SSG 82. I had never heard of them before and from what I could find they were sharpshooter rifles made for East German anti-terror units. It's chambered for 5.45x39mm, which seems odd for a sharpshooters rifle.

I have enough to buy it, but should I? These seem really rare because the description mentions that Century imported only 600 out of a total of 2,000 manufactured, and it'd be cool to have a weird piece of East German history like this. Or should I just go for the SCAR?
>>
>>30602970

I'll bump for you anon
>>
Do you want to operate or shoot a precision rifle?
>>
>>30602983
I do wanna operate and it'd be nice to have one because I don't own an AR, but I'm a sucker for milsurp and interesting pieces of firearms history too.
>>
>>30602970
guys, pls respond.
>>
There's so wildly different that it doesn't even make sense. Do you want a rare precision rifle or a tacticool rifle. Make up your fucking mind you autist, if you're not a collector don't buy it
>>
File: 1468278657617.gif (3 MB, 264x240) Image search: [Google]
1468278657617.gif
3 MB, 264x240
>>30602983
>precision rifle
>>
>>30602970
I would get get the SCAR over some special snowflake rifle any day, but that's just like, my opinion, man.
>>
>>30602970
cool shit and might also be an investment
>>
>>30602970
Just save for the SCAR.

You'll never be able to get parts for the SSG, and reports about their actual accuracy and performance go every which way. 5.45mm doesn't have the match ammo market 5.56mm does either.
>>
>>30602970
It's a West German rifle. Not much is known about them. Zasta has a buddy that owns 1 or 2.

To my knowledge, Dynamit Nobel? 5.45x39 is a West German match bullet that is pretty much dried up availability in short of small stashes on gunbroker and other similar websites.

5.45x39 is an extremely limited market when you want a round made for accuracy. Only thing that comes to mind for accuracy that is still being made is the V-Max 5.45

I thought they went for $1,000 but for $2,600? Scar. If you're a huge West German history nut, go for it
>>
Hey OP, german here.

Weeeell, where to start?!

The SSG82 was indeed a sniper rifle for east german antiterror operations.

Background was that they wanted something with a small yet punching cartridge to take out bad guys

So what they did: They basically took a biathlon rifle and converted it for the 5.54x39

I had the possibility to shoot one and the first thing you'll notice: Its a heavy fucker thanks to the thick wooden stock.

But then again: The recoil is virtually non existant also thanks to the heavy weight

But what the east germans fucked up: They put "some" scope on it, with a fixed magnification

But that wasnt the worst thing: The reticle was the oldest one the germans could find (pic related) so you couldnt use it for any range measurements - a pretty dumb idea for a rifle that was meant to kill bad guys at different distances.

> but should I?

Definetly. They are rare, robust and fun to shoot. Also they got that somewhat nice "Stasi nimbus" and since not many were build, they wont become cheaper.

If you got further questions, ask me
>>
>>30603582
Dude, honestly: You dont know what you are talking about.

First of all ask yourself: Why should WEST germany build a 5.45x39 rifle?

It was east german.
>>
>>30603633
My mistake. I own a West German sig and sometimes get them mixed up.
>>
>>30602970
If you can afford it, don't let the unique Cold War rifle be "the one that got away"
>>
>>30603614
there is nothing wrong with that reticle for that caliber.
it's not a 300winmag or something.
>>
File: 1466613975082.jpg (186 KB, 690x960) Image search: [Google]
1466613975082.jpg
186 KB, 690x960
It'd be much smarter to get the unique one now. The SCAR will still be available later, that rifle won't.
>>
>>30603672
This.
>>
>>30603662
Yeah but remember what they build that rifle for. Unknown hostage situations with unknown shooting distances.
>>
>>30602970
>SSG 82
>SCAR
One is a collectors item, the other is a functional pricey firearm that will let you operate into orbit.
>>
>>30602970
Ultimately, depends on if you want to shoot, or begin collecting firearms which shooting will risk a massive loss of value over time.
>>
File: 5.45 7n6 info.png (79 KB, 591x820) Image search: [Google]
5.45 7n6 info.png
79 KB, 591x820
>>30603729
Not other guy, but if you're in that situation you are typically shooting known distances or at least relatively short ones, It seems to be a fine round for 5 inch targets up to 300 M , even with that reticle, so long as you had a spotter giving you a proper distance, even then the danger space would allow a decent bit of error
I used 7n6 info for the chart since it's hard to find other stuff, but 62 grain stuff sounds like it'd be more accurate from what I read. So if the numbers are anything close to what this stuff is, then it'd do fine imo.
>>
>>30603975
Great stuff thanks man.

What I wanted to tell OP: the rifle has tons of historical value and is the rarest pepe of legally availabe warsaw pact guns so he should jump on it but also know its shortcomings.
>>
File: 12345.png (12 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
12345.png
12 KB, 125x125
you could always sell it. hell, if its as a special snowflake as described, in time, it could pay for more then just a single scar. are you willing to play the long game?
>>
>>30602970

>implying you will be able to even buy a SCAR until well after the election.

Even the used ones are getting ridiculous price gouging.
>>
>>30602970
I had one on layaway at my local FFL. had. when I found out about the issues I changed my mind.
no parts and easily broken extractors were the main two reasons. no ammo and probs with steel case ammo were the others.
>>
>>30602970
Don't spend three fucking grand on that potato rifle. Holy fuck they had trouble moving them at $800 when they first came in.
>>
The SCAR isn't going anywhere anytime soon, get that dank shit that I don't think I'll ever touch. Literally a piece of history. When do you think you will have enough money saved up to buy a SCAR anyways if after you buy this instead?
>>
>>30603672
>tfw this is my rationale for buying all my guns
>tfw all my guns are special snowflake milsurp guns
>tfw no AR
>tfw only AK's are weird ak's built from parts kits off of apex
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.