[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Texas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 15
File: ALAMO.jpg (227 KB, 630x355) Image search: [Google]
ALAMO.jpg
227 KB, 630x355
Any texasbros on here? Where do you shoot without state land?

Just moved to San Antonio and I've got no idea where to go. Where I'm from we just went into the woods. Anyone know any good ranges?
>>
No one?
>>
File: 1468081300349.jpg (1 MB, 1944x1831) Image search: [Google]
1468081300349.jpg
1 MB, 1944x1831
>>30602649
The Buller hole on the northwest side. Met up with a /brg/ anin amd shot a bit last weekend. Pretty nice ranges. Private bay is only $17.50 per person for 2 hours, $5 membership card.

A place to shoot, far south side is good too. Avoid the TX thunder range. It sucks and they tripple charge for cheap ammo.
>>
>>30602790

Nice, thanks, I'll check them out.

Any idea how they are about 80% pistols and rifles? Some ranges freak out about a lack of a serno.
>>
File: 20160709_115707.jpg (3 MB, 1836x2717) Image search: [Google]
20160709_115707.jpg
3 MB, 1836x2717
>>30602790
Hey broski, how's it been?

>>30602885
Join us next time, we can touch battle raifus.
>>
>>30602912

i'm mirin that baby vomit

didn't bring my BR with me though, just an akm
>>
>>30602912
>dat camo mixing
come on, atleast mix same colors of different patterns
>>
>>30602912
What are those pants, I like that coloration
>>
It's Texas. There's a range every 15-30 min drive. Or know a buddy with some land.
>>
>>30602885
Bullethole is laid back, or at least was. I haven't been in a few months cause of vacation and life but I used to go every weekend. Only thing they get itchy about is if you bring title 2 items and then they just ask to see the form 1/4 other than that though they are decent. If you want to rapid fire your rifle you'll have to use a private bay and they don't allow bump fire. A mile or so behind their property and over the hill is a large business complex so they don't want the bexar (bear) county sheriff called out on em cause someone can't keep their bbl pointed down. If you get the itch they have FA weps for rent some being suppressed mp5s to tommy guns to sig 556s to a m1919. They also have 338lm and 50bmgs for rent as well but outside of the loud boom and having ppl within 3 lanes of you stop shooting on the rifle line it is overrated IMO. The prices are good for outdoors and all day shooting ($11) but for all day shooting you must stay on their complex so no shooting leaving and coming back later
>>
>>30603203

solid info, thanks again. Only reason I ask if because some ranges ask to write down the sernos of pistols you bring.

still getting a lay of the land here, appreciate the run down. I should have off on friday so I'll probably try it out then. Is it packed on weekends?
>>
>>30603030
Just threw the top on for precaution. Thos BR can bounce brass off the walls into your arms.

>>30603177
The tiger stripes.l are true spec tiger strip products. John wayne spares is what the pattern is called. Sometimes called golden tiger stripes too. Navy seals/sf advisors wore that pattern vs the darker and more brown vietnam pattern. The top has been a bitch to find a match thats the right pattern and not 60+ dollars.

>>30602912
Doing good buddy. Gotta hit the range again soon. Ill have to bring a pistol to let ya try out next time.

>>30603261
Just need an id and to fill out the usual paperwork for a membership. They didnt bother us but we werent being dicks.

There are a couple others but I think they require a membership or are only open to the public on certain days. If you got the scratch and dont want a bunch of fudds their is some shooting complex or something around 1604 and culebra. Been there a long time. Nardis?Narris? Gun club on the NE side.
>>
File: 20160713_012056.jpg (1005 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160713_012056.jpg
1005 KB, 2048x1152
>>30603177
Forgot pic.

Left is vietnam stripes, right sparse pattern stripes.
>>
>>30602912
Sa/k/uya ;)
>>
File: 20160713_000032.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160713_000032.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>30603769
Memes, I tell you.
He's probably not me.
I'm probably not him.
>>
File: 20150731_001414.jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20150731_001414.jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
I'm in the Houston/Galveston area. I shoot at Clear Creek range for outdoors and Arms Room if I'm just doing pistols.
>>
>>30602649
If you're used to going into the woods and shooting this place is a whole lot different from where you're from. Especially in that area. A lot of the ranch land in Bexar county if it isn't high fenced is probably owned by salty old guys. That doesn't mean you can't leave a note at their gate offering labor for shooting permission but at that point the gas money may as well be spent at a range.
It's also probably hotter here than your old state and heat sickness is pretty common here if you're not used to it, or don't camp/go /out/ often.

There's a good range I go to in Lockhart if I want a real range experience but that's a drive from SA. I live in Hays county and had a good friend with land decide to build a range at his place so it's been a while since I hit Lockhart.

Welcome to our state and enjoy your stay.

Also, if you work somewhere with other guys they probably own land or have family that owns land and come durr season everyone wants a campfire buddy to drink beer with. That's a good way to get an in with landowners if you can make friends at work.
>>
>>30602790
This, I got to a place to shoot all of the time(I live in pleasanton so it's the closest for me) my only beef with them is the restrictions they have(bench rest, no rapid fire) but at least they don't fuck you on the type of ammo you shoot there.
Also it's 12 bucks for a lane to yourself and whoever you bring all day long so that's also nice.
>>
>>30603769
Does that fine piece of ass live in San Antone? Damn, maybe if i wasn't a beta fuck I'd actually try to get some /k/ommando friends here ;-;
How do I get friends anon-sempai?
>>
I don't have any good ranges at all
>>
>>30604130
>Does that fine piece of ass live in San Antone?

No.

>How do I get friends anon-sempai?
Just ask if anyone wants to setup a range date. Maybe setup a monthly range meet or innawoods misadventures. Most of us are pretty calm and cool irl, could be some fun times.
>>
cedar ridge range is about 20 mon north of SA and has a bunch of competition clubs with something going on every weekend. At the carbine matches most everyone has tactical ARs or AKs, im the fag that shows up with my WASR, VZ 58, or Nugget.

I dont know the price for the range because I only ever go for the matches. Might go this weekend if anyone wants to meet up. most matches are $15- $25.

1st Saturday - Texas Tactical Carbine Match
1st Sunday - ASSC (Alamo Sport Shooting Club)

2nd Saturday - Texas Steel Shooters big bore
2nd Sunday - Sensible Self Defense

3rd Saturday - Texas Tactical IDPA
3rd Sunday - Alpha-Mike Shooters (IPSC)

4th Saturday - Texas Steel Shooters .22 match
4th Sunday - Texas Tactical IDPA
>>
>>30604130

>How do I get friends anon-sempai?

Just go to the range and talk to people. I go to the cedar ridge matches and talk to people, was able to score a M1A scout + scope+4 extra factory mags for $900 because I was bull shitting worth the right person.
>>
>>30602649
Nardis is one of two indoor ranges (the other is >>30602790 TX Thundershit) in the area and much better than the other shithole. Expensive, but the cheaper of the two, far less stringent (the other requires you only shoot their overpriced ammo, they inspect your guns every time you go in and you can only shoot with a very expensive membership, nice gun store selection but retarded expensive). Nardis is $25/visit and an additional $10 per shooter sharing your lane. Very new though, very nice, but still pricey.

For outdoors I usually go to Bexar. They are super cheap ($11, you can buy a prorated yearly membership for like $35 IIRC and then it's only $5), usually no RO anytime I go. Careful though, no RO is a double-edged sword cause I've seen some extreme fucktards there including a guy that just walked onto the range without saying anything (he assumed a cease-fire cause I was reloading mags). The proprietors are fudd-tier though, and the shotgun range, a skeet/trap range, is expensive from what I recall.

Place to Shoot is good too, a little bit nicer facilities including a dedicated area for SASS if you're into cowboy shooting but it's only available for SASS members. Decent gun store with it with good prices, friendly staff.

Bracken is alright, decent prices and one of the few places you can go to just blast shotguns if you want without clays. I don't care for the staff though, they're not terribly nice and apparently get a stick up their butt if you decide you want to shoot your rifle while standing...

Out in New Braunfels there's Dietz, it reminds me of Bexar, only not as shitty.

Others have mentioned Bullet Hole, I went there a long time ago and had a good experience. It's just far from where I live on the NE side.
>>
>>30606037
Also forgot Lonestar Gun Range, very new, outdoors, unique in their pistol range is nothing but steel targets placed around. It's a good break from just regular targets as you only focus on hitting the steal and don't have to think so much about accuracy. I like it. Also a small store there, decent prices.

While I'm at it:

>Fun stores

Aforementioned Place to Shoot is good, TX Thunder sucks. Bexar and Dietz have tiny shops within them, don't recall ever seeing anything special (Glocks, M&Ps, etc.) or having decent prices, just MSRP. Nardis has a good store too.

Alamo Shooting Sports is good but new, super nice staff, former Alamo Tactical employees got fed up with the shit management and broke off. Alamo Tactical moved to a new, older, shittier location, downsized, probably gonna go under soon, and the employees they have left don't know their ass from a hole in the ground it seems.

Nagels is classic, biggest selection. If you're looking for something older (pre mid-90's) and they don't have it then your chances have gone way down. Staff is usually nice, but the store is cramped and always crowded unless you go first thing.

Dietz is the next oldest as I recall, good selection, just expensive unless you're good at haggling.

Powderhorn is good, can have some awesome deals. Adelbridge is new and just moved to a bigger store next to their old location, staff is great, selection is one of the best, prices can't be beat and I've seen some deals better than anything I can find online, also has probably the best website of them all as they actually keep it up to date with their whole inventory.

Bracken is decent (it's not at the range, may not be affiliated, but it's close), don't go to Patten Guns unless you want to literally get raped. Sparks is okay, it's more like a gun store with a pawn shop instead of the other way around. There's a few more, but those are the famous and infamous ones IMO.
>>
File: 1466535228470.png (48 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1466535228470.png
48 KB, 480x480
>>
File: 1461117839290.jpg (180 KB, 867x989) Image search: [Google]
1461117839290.jpg
180 KB, 867x989
Anyone down to go shooting this weekend?
>>
Why do you fags try so hard to be Montanans?
>>
File: Dale_Gribble_President.png (839 KB, 1280x968) Image search: [Google]
Dale_Gribble_President.png
839 KB, 1280x968
Anyone have good recommendations for shooting spots in or north of Houston? I usually go to the Gun Emporium in Conroe for rifle or Spring Guns and Ammo for handgun but I'm always looking for new places to try. My girlfriend's parents have land in Huntsville so I go up there sometimes but it's kind of a haul if I just want to do some shooting near home.

I'd love to join a gun club but the only one I know of in the area is Athena and they are expensive and seem like they'd cramp my style.
>>
>>30603261
On weekends YES, especially if you want to get a private bay. On weekends private bays are first come first serve and the bays have a 2-hour block associated with them. If you want to shoot a shotgun on the private bay you have to get bay 7 and it's the only bay that is allowed for shotgun use, in addition to pistol and rifle.

On weekends the operating hours are 8-8 and on days during the week operating hours are 10-8. You can reserve a private bay for use during the regular work week. On weekends the pistol line doesn't get filled til around lunch time and from then til 6/7 it is packed like a can of sardines. The 50yd line is hit or miss and sometimes can be packed from open til close and other times can be open all day with just the occasional shooter. The rifle line (100-300) can have some shooters on it from the start but doesn't get full til around lunch time. Most shooters only take the 100yd line (which is lane 1 - 12) with the occasional shooter/shooters taking the 6 lanes for 200 and 300. After 5/6 the rifle line tends to die out til closing.

The private bays are almost always packed on the weekends. If you want a private bay you'll want to go before 8 to wait in line to make sure you get a spot for the private bays and those usually fill for the first block of time by 830.
>>
>>30606914

i'm down
>>
>>30606914

Where? I'll be getting back from Austin Saturday. I'm >>30603867
>>
Does everyone in texas shoot in gear? Feels weird to me
>>
>>30605959
>Tfw I'm too socially awkward to just start talking to people about shit
;-;
>>
>>30607276

Top Gun is a decent pistol range, and they'll let you rent stuff to try out.

American Shooting Center has decent pistol, carbine, rifle, and long range shooting, but it gets hot as hell.
>>
>>30609221
You have the best excuse though,
"sweet ak, is that a 5.56 m-pap?"
"What brake do you have on your ar? Its super loud!"
Just a couple examples.
Ill probably be at the competition on sunday, come on out!
>>
>>30609542

you'll be doing the ASSC big bore shooting comp? how are they usually?
>>
Anyone up for going shooting this weekend? I'm a medfag new in town.
>>
>>30611441
It will be my first time at the Big Bore shoot, but I have gone to the IDPA, and carbine matches as well as a couple steel matches. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help out.

You will get some fudds out there, one kept joking about my WASR calling it that damned commie gun. But when I went to town with the drum mag, he said at least that damned commie gun can shoot.

So if you can stand some fudds you'll have a great day.
>>
>>30613267

Nice man, well good luck. Does sound like a lot of fun. I'll think about it, I don't have a holster or belt, and only two standard cap mags, so I'd have to pick those up by then.
>>
moving here (SA) from the pacific northwest is so goddamn depressing on the /out/ and shooting front.
>>
>>30602649
Also in San Antonio, Bullet Hole has already been mentioned, it's pretty good. Also there's A Place to Shoot, which I actually prefer as a pistol range. They have target pullers so you don't need to call cease fire.

If you're willing to make the drive to Copperhead Creek Shooting Range in Marble Falls, it's the nicest range I've ever been to.
>>
File: 2.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>30613442
Forgot photo
>>
File: 1.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>30613473
Also, the Saxet Gun show at Marbach and 410 is pretty good.
>>
>>30613442

Nice, thanks
>>
What are some good ranges in DFW? I'm tired of bench shooting and indoor ranges.
>>
For anyone interested Campy Mabry in Austin will be having a hand-on-history event this Saturday from 6 to 9. You cant interact with weapons from Civil to Korean war and enter and climb around the museums functioning hetzer, m4a3 Sherman, and other assorted vehicles. A bunch of reenactors will be there to talk about the weapons, vehicles, and display uniforms. $5 to enter.

http://texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/event/hands-on-history-2/
>>
Place to shoot is great for zeroing rifles they have spotter scopes on each lane and a selection of 25,50,75,100 yards. I went even during peak hours on a Sunday and still was able to get a bay. Lone star handgun is fun for steel reactive targets and they are veteran owned but they are not as friendly as a place to shoot
>>
>>30613575
there is a shooting complex I believe in waxahachie. goes out to 1300yds.
>>
>>30613321
if you wanna go outdoors but don't want to drive far like big bend national park far check out lost maples state park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRKbWOTm6Cs
>>
HTX here

i've never shot a gun before, what range should I visit first?

from youtube reseaarch through hicock45 and moss pawn & gun it seems pretty straight forward

tips?
>>
File: IMG_0516.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0516.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>30614175
Find a local shooting range that rents guns and offers classes. You really want to start out with some sort of instruction that will teach you basic firearm safety.
>>
>>30614029
Thanks
>>
>>30602649
Bracken has already been mentioned, and afaik it's the cheapest of them all to shoot at. Last time I was there it was $4 per targer, $4 per gun, and you can shoot how ever long you want. Only thing is they're dicks about "rapid fire", and shooting pistols in rifle calibers. As one anon has already mentioned, beware of the heat, it can be lethal if you're not careful. If you're looking for indoor shooting ranges, I know the Bass Pro Shop has an indoor range, but I'm not sure of the cost.

>>30613484
Also if you ever go here, get some of the cinnamon roasted pecans, peanuts, or cashews. They're like crack.
>>
File: 20160701_230840.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160701_230840.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>30616102
I love how the whole Saxet just REEKS of roasting pecans and sugar, it's so cozy. I'm going to miss it something fierce when I move to CSTAT, but at least I'll be closer to the Houston gun shows.

On a tangentially related topic, does anyone know of some good ranges near BCS? I haven't been able to find anything promising...
>>
Kik bs7007, have a Texas k chat rolling, also I'm located in Seguin if anybody up for a shoot
>>
>>30616292
>come and take it
ok, that canon really looks like a used condom
>>
>>30609542
I'd love to but I work Sundays ;-;, also I've never been to a competition, and don't really have much experience outside of blasting shit out at the ranch and bench rest. Also, place to shoot has competitions?
>>
>>30602790
Damn that seems very pricey. I live south Texas and pay 144 for a year and can shoot as much as I want and with anything not FA and below 50bmg. I've never had problems getting a bay to myself when going to shoot.
>>
>>30602649
I live on the North East side, and i go to Bexar Community Gun Range. Its about 25 mins away from me, in Marion i believe, and is pretty laid back. They used to have this open area for rifles that you could stand at, but they changed the rules so now you have to sit. Its a real pain in the ass now, so much im considering going somewhere else. BUT they dont have an RO here, its nice.
>>
>>30613575
>>30614029
In your opinion what's the most comfy DFW range?
Anything nice in mid-cities?
>>
>>30603196
I wish this was true
>>
>>30607276
You can try Hot Wells, but the last time I checked, they where upgrading all of the booths to concrete because of the flooding. It's somewhere around 290. The price is $10 per gun at any rifle or handgun booth.
>>
which range does anon go to in Austin?
>>
>>30603867
>Clear Creek range
That place is pretty horrible desu. Got my CCW there and the old guy that ran the place was making completely inappropriate jokes and passes at every woman there including his staff. Very bizzare.

The range staff there is pretty terrible as well in regards to NFA items and has horrible policies like declaring a range cold for everyone then letting one person shoot a couple more. Literally what the fuck? Not to mention asshole personalities.

>Arms room
God tier. They stay the fuck outta the way and let me shoot. 10/10
>>
I recently moved to Dallas and holy shit what the everloving fuck is with every outdoor range banning FMJ ammo? Most places also ban surplus and one range just flat out bans all Russian guns. I can understand indoor ranges banning steel jacketed ammo because of wanting to limit damage to their backstops, or a range banning it if they have steel targets to limit ricochets, but all these places I'm finding only allow paper targets and have dirt berms for backstops. There are only like one or two places I've been able to find in DFW that will allow FMJ and they all get terrible reviews and/or have the most asinine rules (Banning Russian guns/must buy and use their targets only).

Does anyone know of any ranges around DFW that allow FMJ/surplus/budget ammo, is at least 100m, and allows more than just bench shooting? Bonus points for steel targets but it's not a requirement. I'm willing to pay for a private club if I have to.

As for indoor ranges, the best place I've been find so far looks to be a place called Smart Shoot. I haven't been yet since they are a little far away from where I am, but I was wondering if anyone knew of similar places.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.