[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/ redpill me on titanium, why is it not used more widely in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: HeizerDoubleTap.jpg (54 KB, 640x552) Image search: [Google]
HeizerDoubleTap.jpg
54 KB, 640x552
/k/ redpill me on titanium, why is it not used more widely in /k/ related products?

It's current year, get good.
>>
>>30601597
Because it is expensive and steel works fine.

In the words of Conan the Barbarian's dad, Steel you can trust.
>>
>>30601625
Were you not willing to pay a bit more for a lighter and more corrosion resistant product?

t. Totally not a titanium retailer.
>>
>>30601667
a bit more is closer to almost 4 times as much for... What exactly? A polymer frame gun would be cheaper, more widely available and lighter.

Sure you can get crazy and make a polymer and titanium gun but who the hell would be interested in it
>>
It's expensive and a bitch to mill. Aluminum is the lightweight god metal of firearms.
>>
>>30601667

So i can pay much much more for a titanium gun, or I can buy a bottle of gun oil for 2$.

Hmmmm....

>lighter
This makes the assumption I am a small bitch.
>>
File: 1441141423082.gif (3 MB, 359x200) Image search: [Google]
1441141423082.gif
3 MB, 359x200
>>30601973
>So i can pay much much more
It's not like I am trying to make a living here, anon.
>>
>>30601667
Polymer wins in the weight to strength department, even against titanium. Titanium barrels and slides on a polymer handgun could work if you wanted to build a really light automatic handgun.

I like steel framed handguns because of the heft, balance and the way steel feels on the skin. Properly treated steel won't rust, and polymer doesn't have a rusting problem either.

Titanium in a few key places might work well though. A titanium cylinder on a new medusa-type revolver would give me a boner.

Titanium also has supply issues. IIRC Russia has most of the world's titanium supply.
>>
>>30602082
sell your wares to yuppie ultralight fags.
>>
>>30602082
The indian government tried this, and it was so shit that even though it is the only legal carry piece, no one buys it.

Admittedly, the IOF revolver has plenty of other problems...
>>
>>30601667
Consider cycles to failure as well.
Ferroalloys have a weird property that makes them better for for really high cycle applications.
>>
>>30601597

>ST. LOUIS
>MO
>USA
>EARTH

Anyone else notice this?
>>
As far as price goes, a cheaper way to make titanium was recently discovered. Cheaper as in 4x less cost. Hopefully we'll see some new products made utilizing titanium soon.

However, weight helps with recoil, so it may not be that beneficial.
>>
>>30605264
>HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO

Anybody else notice THIS?
>>
>>30605667
You could get titanium rods for raw material much cheaper than previously, about 3 years ago. I don't know about now.
>>
I would consider buying a titanium frame on a semi auto. If it's lighter than steel but tougher and more heat/sun resistant than polymer.

honestly this thread is pretty funny seeing people complain it's too expensive when they call everyone that wants something cheaper than a glock a poor nigger.
So much for being a baller, polypoors
>>
>>30605680
HD
>>
>>30605680
I noticed it knew it was HD but laughed anyway
>>
>>30602189
They fucked up a Webley clone that they sell for like 2000 USD it was fucked from the get go.

>>30605753
>I would consider buying a titanium frame on a semi auto
Wear resistance without a coating is shit and barely better than aluminum.
>If it's lighter than steel but tougher and more heat/sun resistant than polymer
I had no idea you were operating in the sun. Is Solaire as cool as he portrayed in the game?
>
honestly this thread is pretty funny seeing people complain it's too expensive when they call everyone that wants something cheaper than a glock a poor nigger. So much for being a baller, polypoors

There's other issues with titanium that make it inferior to steel, aluminum and polymer besides cost. If you want to be a special snowflake who is definitely not a poorfag make a frame out a meteorite.
>>
>>30601667
>a bit
You mean close to 3x as much? No thanks. It isn't stronger than steel and it's heavier than aluminum. As for corrosion resistance, I have decent guns with high quality coatings and I take care of them, rust is a non issue for me.
>>
>>30605916
Alright let's not talk shit about meteorite guns those are just cool.
Not many people even offer steal frame from double stack pistols anymore and I've only heard of aluminum being used for slides, or revolver frames but not a semi frame.

What's the difference between a titanium frame and aluminum for a handgun for draw backs?
I plan on getting a wonder nine, it's not the 90's anymore so steal frame isn't a common option anymore just glock clones.

I'm not trying to rip on poly handguns themselves I own one but seeing different stuff on the market would be pretty interesting. Like if I asked about a 9mm carbine rifle on here everyone would just tell me hi-point probably. Weapon choices are getting pretty limited these days.
>>
File: 1387128688723s.jpg (2 KB, 71x125) Image search: [Google]
1387128688723s.jpg
2 KB, 71x125
>>30602189
The IOF revolver (and Indian weapons and laws in general) is autistic as fuck.

Leave it to the poo-in-loo government to make a shit clone of a good gun, charge $2000 for it, make the license impossible to obtain, make it the only gun legal for carry in the whole country, and to top it off name it after a fucking gang rape victim.

They are like a country of perceptual autistic no-gunz, even worse than the brits that colonized them. FFS the Indian combat load is three 20 round mags of 5.56, fired from a terrible copy of an AK that is literally shit colored. Its like the country has no idea what the fuck it is doing and is waiting to be annexed by another great power to be made civilized again.
>>
>>30601597
The other reason it doesn't get used as much is cause it's a bitch to machine. The crystal structure is hexagonal (as compared to cubic structure), meaning that it's weird enough most machinists will fuck it up. That said, it would make for decent barrels for full-giggle weaponry, given its higher heat resistance than damn near anything else feasible as barrel material.
>>
why not use Inconel, Nimonic, or Monel alloys for guns?

if its good enough for a jet turbine blade it should be good enough for bullets
would be super sweet
>>
>>30609467
The heat resistance and transfer is high but wear resistance leaves something to be desired.
>>
>>30609667
Having worked with inconel... no. Just stop. Way too easy to dent, has issues with transferring heat... it might make for pretty details, but no good as anything structurally relevant.
>>
>>30609722
True, which is probably why people haven't moved over to Ti alloys.
>>
>>30608491
>UK breaks from EU
>reclaims India
>picks up some land in Africa for good measure
pls
>>
>>30609667
inconel is used for suppressors
>>
Smith uses some titanium barrels
>>
>>30609667
>>30609745
It's also expensive as all fuck and bitchy to machine.
>>
>>30608491
They don't even use normal 5.56 NATO, they have to use their own snowflake 5.56 with a longer projectile.
>>
>>30601597
>expensive as fuck
>even more expensive to machine, because you need totally different alloys for machining titanium than you need for machining steel. Don't machine titanium with steel tools, unless you want a product worse than any steel product
>can't be welded with steel
>really easy to fuck up

Really, the main argument against titanium, is how fucking hard it is to do anything with it, without destroying it. Small traces of iron/steel in the structure, will destroy its structural integrity, making it one of the weakest metals, even though it's strong if there's no iron in it.

while steel:
>cheap
>loads of different alloys for different purposes
>there's the infrastructure to make all kinds of steel in almost every industrial nation

Titanium is great if you want to make the best fighter jets or space ships. But for everything else, stick to steel.
>>
Does anyone make a polymer frame gun with a titanium slide? Would that not be ideal for carry?
>>
FÉG put a little titanium in their aluminum alloy to obviate the need for anodizing. S&W used titanium and the more rare Scandium in their small revolver line up to make them lighter. It more than doubled the cost.
>>
>>30605753
So buy a Sphinx titanium, a titanium Smith or that pos and pretend be special elsewhere
>>
>>30612183
Weird considering the titanium revolver used steel barrels and cylinders with titanium frames and shrouds
>>
>>30601597
Titanium is expensive, too hard to cheaply and easily manufacture, and brittle.

It has no advantages over steel.

Oh yeah and it's also flammable at very high temperatures
>>
>making a titanium gun
>Not a Colt 1911 forged from meteoric iron with grips made from the bones of St Thomas Aquinas

Remove Sinner
>>
>>30601597
Titanium
>Expensive as fuck
>Light as fuck
>Tfw no recoil management or the ability to pistol whip someone into unconsciousness
>Harder to craft and manipulate
>Weakened by repeated application of heat and pressure (Exactly what a gun gives off)
Steel
>Cheap AF
>Hefty
>Tfw you can actually hold the gun and bash someone's skull in with this weapon
>Every other benefit of steel
There is literally no reason to mass produce titanium framed weapons other than
>but muh "superior" metal
>>
>>30615924
>>Light as fuck

>Hay guise why wood u use titanium it's heavier than polymer?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.