[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/ommunications General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50
File: BF-F8HP(1)LG.jpg (99 KB, 337x719) Image search: [Google]
BF-F8HP(1)LG.jpg
99 KB, 337x719
So, I'm radiotarded. Please educate me. What two way radios do you guys run? Any off the shelf solutions that also allow encryption? Pic related, I heard they are the gold-standard brand.
>>
Also while I'm here, does pretty much everyone use peltors? Or is there some magical headset I don't know about?
>>
>>30598481
>Former radio tech for the U.S. Air Force and currently a radio tech for a non-DOD government agency.
Most agencies currently operate in the UHF Public safety band which is anywhere from 700-900 MHz. Lots of counties in the USA still use VHF though so if it is possible to obtain a dual band radio that would be ideal.
>>
File: ham_radio_in_vietnam.jpg (65 KB, 1055x1042) Image search: [Google]
ham_radio_in_vietnam.jpg
65 KB, 1055x1042
>>30598481
Running encrypted traffic is a sure-fire way to go to federal prison because it's going to look like you're engaging in espionage. Baofengs are not really a gold standard, but they're a great radio for the price.
>>
>>30598481
Most agencies around my metropolitan area have switched over to EDACS
>>
It's worth noting that the FCC has multiple regulations regarding wireless communications in the USA, and in many other first world nations.

FRS frequencies can be used without a license, if you're using a transceiver with less than 0.5 watts of power. Please note a radio that undepowered is useless.

GMRS frequencies require a license, but they are an empty wasteland in most places, and the FCC rarely enforces the law. Same with MURS, but some older companies still use it.

Do not transmit on bands that require an amateur license; hams are assholes. They will triangulate your location, and raise a stink with the FCC until you're fined or prosecuted.

Please note that the Baofeng UV-5R can technically only be used with a license of one type or another, and is capable of transmitting on FRS, GMRS, MURS, and amateur HF bands.
>>
>>30599615
MURS requires no license. The letter of the law restricts it to Motorola radios though this has never been enforced.
>>
You're not in the Army bob, why are talking about encryption.

Holy shit you /k/ operators
>>
>>30598546

As far as I know, few outside of the military operate radios in such a manner as to require the expedience of a radio headset. Plus, I'm pretty sure COMTACs are designed specifically to interface with NATO radio equipment, so you might need an adapter of some kind to use it with a Baofeng, Motorola, or other civilian radio.

Take this with a grain of salt, but even the best-equipped preppers and mall ninjas I know don't use very sophisticated comms.
>>
File: IMG_20160712_204757.jpg (616 KB, 1024x1820) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160712_204757.jpg
616 KB, 1024x1820
>>30598618
>bothering with signal encryption
>he doesnt have an enigma machine
JSLJG RAYFG PARYC.jpg
>>
what about mbitr radios

those big chunky ones that operators always carry
>>
>>30599682

Also:
http://www.itstactical.com/digicom/comms/ultimate-radio-communication-guide-what-to-look-for-in-a-handheld-transceiver/

ITS Tactical has a series of articles on amateur radio communication and refer tangentially to its tactical applications. Just keep in mind certain limitations to the use of radio as a tactical asset: encryption is practically out of reach (unless you really, really want to invest the time, effort, and money). In any scenario where you might have to square off against a conventional force, the Signal Corps or an equivalent thereof WILL listen in on your traffic.
>>
>>30599707
Everyone knows about the Enigma but very few know about the more advanced Lorenz used by the German high command after they invaded Russia. Both were eventually cracked by the allies. The best way to have secure communications is, was, and always will be a one-time pad that is destroyed after use and never copied. It's also the cheapest.
>>
File: 3116547.jpg (37 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
3116547.jpg
37 KB, 400x400
>>30599712

You don't know clunky until you've operated a SINCGARS.

And MBITRs are good radios--they conveniently fit in a double-magazine pouch--but without the proper encryption equipment and experience needed to operate it, you'll only be able to transmit over single-channel, plain text. Which is easily intercepted. So you'd be paying a lot more for a device that doesn't do a whole lot more than a Baofeng besides extend range. The cons outweight the pros of getting a set of MBITRs, imo.
>>
>>30599765
>The best way to have secure communications is, was, and always will be a one-time pad that is destroyed after use and never copied. It's also the cheapest.

Came here to say this.

But almost all encryption falls apart when one party gets their knuckles broken with a $10 wrench by govt goons. The only truly way to keep something secret is to never tell anyone.
>>
>>30599765
Or you could just use 'code talkers' for free.
>>
>>30598481
>run
I thought you spexial forces guys knew how to use a radio.
Whats wrong, you too busy adding trinkets to your "platform"?

Dont you have a gun store to be obnoxious at?
>>
>>30599807

The reason the Navajo language was such a good code is because its syntax was unlike any other language to which the Japanese might compare it. Also, it was incredibly obscure at the time. The internet and modern computing renders that kind of code obsolete now.
>>
>>30599770
These fucker don't even know what sc fh pt CT etc etc are. Wasting your time and breath bro.
>>
>>30599770
thats really all i want

not OP btw

i usually shoot innamountains a fair ways where there's no cell service

i need a radio that has at least a 25 mile broadcast radius, can broadcast to emergency channels and can receive weather alerts (at a minimum), plus at least 12 hours of battery life on one charge
>>
>>30599958

Careful. MBITRs are line-of-sight radios, so you'd have to transmit and receive form a high position. the Hudson Valley has modestly mountainous terrain, but it still dramatically hinders the broadcasting of military-grade radios.
>>
>>30599765
That can imitate a one time pad and a lorenz machine. Its rad.
>>
File: raido 2.jpg (561 KB, 792x3458) Image search: [Google]
raido 2.jpg
561 KB, 792x3458
>>
>>30600112
shheeeeeit

whats the range of one of those baofeng uv5rs?
>>
File: 100_3147_3_.jpg (244 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
100_3147_3_.jpg
244 KB, 1280x960
>>30598481
Who /companylevel/ here?
>>
>>30598481
There's a lot to say about radios, so let me know if you have any specific questions.

I have a host of equipment ranging from a Yaesu FT-817 for field operations to a quad band HF/VHF/UHF radio in my car to both assorted ham and non-ham handhelds.

There are of the shelf encrypted radios that you can buy, however I can't recommend any since that's not the type of radio I dabble in.

Baofengs are nice, but they're not a gold-standard by any means. They're great for a first HT for screwing around but they're pretty shit. Don't get me wrong, I carry one with me most days, but that's because they're basically disposable radios. Like most equipment, you get what you pay for. For me, it's a tad bit silly to see people running around with rifles they put hundreds of dollars into in order to be satisfied with its capabilities and then they use a shitty $30 and are satisfied with that.

>>30599712
MBITR a shit
RF Harris all the way

>>30600440
There are times I've talked +40 miles, and there are times I haven't been able to go 1 mile. If you're on top of a hill you can reach insanely far.
>>
File: radio_nerds_in_nam.jpg (174 KB, 2046x1411) Image search: [Google]
radio_nerds_in_nam.jpg
174 KB, 2046x1411
>>30600483
which one is you?
>>
>>30600602

Is there really any reason to invest in an off-the-shelf encrypted radio?
>>
>>30600655
It's a felony, it's enforced, and it's serious business. It's stupid like fucking with military SATCOM
>>
>>30600635
None senpai, different guy in thread. I'm just the semi-proud owner of a PRC 320.
>>
>>30600602
>HT
what's that? handheld talkie?

could you recommend a radio that can be had for <$100 and is fairly user friendly? i'd also like one that I can add an auxillary mic/speaker to, like the ones that would loop up onto your shoulder
>>
>>30600655
Nope. DMR radio sure. They aren't encrypted, but most people won't be able to listen and if you get a ham license to use them on ham systems it will be a VERY useful tool.

>>30600719
Ya HT is hand talkie. For <$100 I'd recommend looking for a nice used Yaesu FT-60R or VX-5R or VX-7R. Those radios are all well built and you've got pretty good chances of finding one in good condition. Check out ebay and eHam.net's classified section.
>>
>>30600307
I wish I had a watch with a one time pad on it. Some kind of service that would regularly change my passwords for me.

It would be easier than memorizing passwords, and impossible, in theory to crack.
>>
I don't have any radio of any kind. I think I need one if I want to be an oper8er. I was looking at the Baofeng UV-5R just as a small radio I can clip on my vest. As a HT would it work as a entry level?
>>
>>30600867
Yes, the baofeng UV-5R is by far the best entry level radio
>>
>>30600890

Like the .22LR of radios
>>
>>30600890
ok neat. I just needed something to push me to get a radio. Is there a guide on all the settings and shit? This looks like another language to me
>>
>>30600711
you should get the new model, the PRC E7
>>
File: 1327448707046.jpg (28 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1327448707046.jpg
28 KB, 256x256
What the point of even having one of these innawoods?
>>
>>30600950
gotta have friends to understand anon
>>
>>30600920
Check out >>30600354 and https://murdercube.com/radioconfig/
>>
File: 1327543359313.jpg (34 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
1327543359313.jpg
34 KB, 600x480
>>30600956

So communicating with people when you're on a fucking mountain and listening to weather reports?

Sound advice anon, thanks bro.
>>
>>30600950

It really depends on whether or not you innawoods with other oper8ters or not. Radios are invaluable tools for coordinating tactical movement. Airsofters and paintballers commonly use radios for that purpose.
>>
Neat. Just got a UV-5R from amazon. 26$ isn't a bad cost to get into this.
>>
>>30600995
you're not going to get any friends like that either
>>
>>30600483
See shit I want that kind of radio. What's the difference between that and my 60$ baofeng?
>>
>>30601139
a hell of a lot, but it also requires a license to use and while it's functional it's a boat anchor by today's standards
>>
>>30601139
that one looks badass. not saying a baofeng doesn't look cool
>>
>>30601170
Are there any kind of big ole chest sized radios I can get to learn on? I just got my baofeng a week ago and just listen to stuff on it.
>>
File: MARS_Bunker_Con_Thien.jpg (14 KB, 368x257) Image search: [Google]
MARS_Bunker_Con_Thien.jpg
14 KB, 368x257
>>30601209
That stuff really is for hams, and you'll need your General class to make good use of it. Then best way to find a good, working HF radio for cheap is to find an old ham thru a club or on air.
>>
>>30601244
Fair enough. Here's mine I bought for myself for my birthday a week ish ago. I'm not OP but his pic caught my eye.

Besides articles on the internet where's the place to learn more about radios?
>>
File: 1467525608829.jpg (28 KB, 697x526) Image search: [Google]
1467525608829.jpg
28 KB, 697x526
>>30600921
funay joek
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 720x960
>>30601279
>>
>>30601279
ARRL technician study guide, hamexam.org practice tests, college
>>
>>30599639
fuckin kids couldn't build a fucking crystal radio out of an oatmeal container if their life depended upon it. they think their iOandroid phone will still work when shtf.
>>
>>30601313
Thank you man, I'll check that out. Figured it would be a nice SHTF skill to have, and if S don't HTF then it's a fun hobby anyway. Haven't had the chance yet but I wanna hike out to a hilltop or mountain just outta town, use the scan function, and see what I find.

Still wanna try out wanna those big backpack radios like this though
>>30601170
I'm guessing a bigger box means more bands, and higher power for transmission? And I think longer antennas help you hear more, right?
>>
File: KIMG0011.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0011.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
Thee BFF8HP does put out a full 8 watts but it has a bug if you put the info from another firmware into it it goes mute. The UV5RHP is only 7 Watts it does not have any screws on the face like the FHP but it will program without any issues. This is a 50 watt mobile with a Raspberry Pi and Wi-Fi running Ubuntu I can program uv-5rs in the field, it also has a sound card and solid state hard drive for APRS
>>
>>30601298
>July
>Flannel pajamas
Fucking kys
>>
File: 1416017043024.jpg (34 KB, 604x397) Image search: [Google]
1416017043024.jpg
34 KB, 604x397
>tfw want to setup one of those big, clunky ham radio's on a really cheap wooden desk in the basement and look for number stations and stuff like that to live out muh cold war fantasies
>tfw don't even know how to get started with radiofagging
>>
>>30601416
Sounds like there's lots for me to learn

>>30601420
It's chilly here man.

Also, listening to some old guy put out call signs or some something
>>
>>30601416
Just get a BFF9-V2+ with a nagoya 15.6 Inch Whip. Much better starter kit and it will get you communicating further. I can get 30+ Miles to the WINS System local repeater on one Watt(Low Power) from my kitchen everyday of the week.
>>
File: ham_shack.jpg (175 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
ham_shack.jpg
175 KB, 1280x960
I'm another ham with a General class license. I can attest to it being a nice set of skills to have and is fun to do. I've communicated all the way to Africa, South America, Asia, Europe, and have heard Australia. Great standalone system. I mean, how're you going to know where the Russians are going to drop the supplies when the /k/ isn't available?

>I'm guessing a bigger box means more bands, and higher power for transmission? And I think longer antennas help you hear more, right?

Handhelds usually top out at 5 watts, mobile rigs at ~50 watts, and desktop models at 100 watts. If you want to go higher power than those, you will have to utilize amplifiers. A longer wire antenna will in fact help you receive more signals, but will not necessarily help you transmit, as the antenna has to be cut for proper 'resonance' and feedline for 'impedence'.
> pic related my 'shack'.
>>
I have a UV-82 I bought because when I joined the local vol. fire dept. the county was too broke to buy me a fancy Motorola like everyone else in the county uses.
And then I had to basically teach myself basic radio-nomics in like two days because the guy that programs the rest of the county fire radios was on vacation.

But by learning to do it myself I was able to put in the county sheriff's dept. and city police stations in and can listen to all that cool shit if I want to.

It does basically everything their radios do except for MDC-1200 which is used for like unit numbers when talking to dispatch, but I just tell them who I am if need be.

afaik there's no way to make my Bow-chicka-wow-wowFeng send out MDC coded shit like that, is there?
>>
>>30601420
Fuck you. Flannel is /comfy/
>>
>>30601527
>Buy HF radio (1.8mhz to 30mhz)
>string wire all over your yard
>plug wire into back of radio
>tune with the big dial until you hear something
>???
>Profit?
Seriously though, a cheap HF radio will be more than enough for just listening. Otherwise the next step would be to pick up some of the ARRL's manuals and get licensed.
>>
>>30601610
Not in July it's not
>>
>>30601578
Impedance matching is honestly my least favorite thing in electrical engineering
>>
>>30601650
Oh fuck dude, I know your pain. I'd say out of all the topics included in ham licensing, impedance is the most difficult.
>>
>>30601650
>>30601713
Goddamn smith charts.
>>
>>30601351

sweet bro
>>
What does it mean to 'program' a radio? And is a big ham radio a good starter or should I stick to handhelds?
>>
>>30601799
What I think when I hear someone program a radio is to enter local repeater frequencies and ctcss codes into memory banks. Say there are repeaters throughout my metro area. I can enter all the repeaters information into my radio and save it as channels. Then I can just flip though the channels/repeaters without ever actually having to tune the radio. As far as 'big' I'm going to guess that you mean by power output, as your first license class will practically limit you to VHF and UHF only. A cheap handheld is the best starter if you ask me. Combine that with a cheap roll-up J-pole antenna, and you can get much more distance than with the factory whip antenna.
>Pic of j-pole antenna, just window feed line cut to a proper length.
>>
>>30600483
What's the radioactive symbol for?

To let you know not to shove the antenna up your ass?
>>
>>30600695
>It's a felony

What law is that?

Is it illegal to own or just to use?
>>
30600000 get!
>>
>>30601952
Illegal to use
>>
>>30601937
Radio emissions can actually injure you. It is called "RF Burn". Though it would probably take a lot more output than that backpack radio can put out.
>>30601952
Can't confirm on owning but use on the amateur bands would be illegal. According to the FCC, there is a difference between "encryption" and "encoding". Encoding using a commonly available protocol to decode the message, and encryption having a 'key' to actually read the data. In a practicality sense, encrypted radios are not useful. The cost, technology, and inherent limitations would likely not justify its use. (for the commonman in SHTF)
>>
>>30599638
MURS requires a transmitter of 2 watts or less, and no repeaters. This makes it of limited utility. It was never limited to Motorola products only; that's an absurd notion.
>>
>>30601952
Ownership should be perfectly okay. There may be regulations about export (almost certainly) and ownership (maybe) of certain specific military encryption products, but the mere capability to encrypt transmissions couldn't possibly be outlawed since any data mode radio could be encrypted just with a computer and software.

Usage is illegal. There is no radio service available to the public that permits encryption or obfuscation EXCEPT for control of an amateur licensed space station (e.g. a communications satellite).

As >>30602058 mentions, using nonstandard coding is okay, but they must be publicized (website, magazine, etc). You can't just make an encoding that only you and your friend know about.
>>
>>30598618
So what is the gold standard then?
>>
>>30602301
Kenwood, icom, and Yaesu for HTs. Specific model depends on the purpose and usage scenario.
>>
>>30602325
What would you recommend for 5 to 10 mile reach in a suburban environment? And what licenses would I need for said device? (No hills, also trees and houses blocking LoS).
>>
>>30602603
If you're a cheapass, a Baofeng. Just don't expect it not to break or whatever. If you have money to spend, a Yaesu VX-8DR.

You'll need a Technician class ham radio license in the USA. Literally the easiest license class to get.
Sample questions:
>When is it safe to climb antenna tower during lighting storm? a. always, b. always, c. always, d. never.
>A 100 watt light bulb uses 100 watts. Underline 100 watts.
>>
>>30602668
So are the General and Extra licenses for like, base-station operators?
>>
>>30602722
And to add on to this, is there a repeater I could carry in my backpack to extend the range (in the same terrain) to say, 50 or 100 miles? Would I need a general license for that?
>>
>>30602603
Propagation characteristics are too unpredictable to say whether you'd get 10 miles from any 5 watt handhelds (handhelds don't usually go past 5 watts, Baofeng power ratings are usually exaggerated a watt or so, look for tests). You'll probably get 5 miles between two 5 watt uhf or vhf handhelds with decent antennas.

You just need a tech license for this as >>30602668 mentioned. All the questions are published and you can take practice tests online.

Just about any handheld with 5 watts of output power will perform acceptably. Nicer handhelds may have nicer receivers to work in noisy environments, better battery life, accessories, water proofing, lighter weight, etc.

Really if you want reliable operation at a decent range you'll want to use a repeater or have a mobile or home setup at one end. You can setup your own repeater but there are probably existing ones near you.

>>30602722
General and extra give you additional operating privileges on HF which is used for around the world communication. Almost never used from a handheld (though I have seen some jury rigged backpack setups). A technician license will give you permission on all non-HF frequencies which is all that is relevant for handhelds.
>>
>>30602768
You would not need a general license for a repeater. I don't think there's any VHF or UHF setup you could carry in a backpack that would reliably achieve 50 miles. Repeaters tend to be permanent and setup on mountains and on top of buildings.
>>
>>30602722
You could think of it that way.... But you can do VHF/UHF from your house, or HF from your mobile if you wanted to. This guy explained it well: >>30602774

And maybe the VX-8DR is a bit much. Kinda pricey, with way more bells and whistles than most people will use. The Yaesu FT-270R is cheaper and rugged, though it's 2m band only.
It's only like $150 compared to the VX-8DR's price of $500 or so retail price without any accessories.
>>
>>30602774
Awesome, thanks for the info. Alright, last question before I go pass out; What is the purpose of GMRS? Is it that important if I am just going to get my technician license?
>>
>>30602848
It's something totally different from ham radio. Different frequency bands, no freedom, literally glorified walkie-talkies.
>>
>>30598481
Is there anything interesting to listen to within it's frequency range either in us or eu? I consider buying one for shits and giggles.
>>
>>30602878
Old people chatting. Many of the Japanese radios can receive wideband, so you can listen in to the police, aircraft, air traffic control, special events, etc. as well.
>>
>>30602848
It's probably worth having some equipment that can do FRS and GMRS because more people use it than use amateur radio. It is much more limited in terms of power, range, and flexibility, but if shit hits the fan or you're lost in the woods you might be more likely to find someone who can help you out.

You can program baofengs to work in these radio services. It is not technically legal to transmit in these services for a variety of reasons (no part certification,has a detachable antenna), but this is not enforced. In the event of an actual emergency where there is imminent danger to life or property you are allowed to violate fcc rules so it is good to have these programed.
>>
>>30602897
What's the difference between narrowband and wideband?
>>
>>30602921
In this context "wideband" just means that the radio can receive a very wide range of frequencies. It doesn't have any precise technical meaning. For example the Yaesu FT-60R can recieve aircraft band AM and FM on many (not all) frequencies from 108 MHz to 999MHz.
>>
>>30602921
narrowbanding was a way to increase the amount of channels. The signal is 12.5 KHz opposed to 25 KHz. It pretty much makes the spectrum more efficient so the FCC has more "channels" to sell. Unless you have the infrastructure in place I.E. radio repeaters you will be limited to line of sight transmissions only for communications in a city/county/state.
>>
>>30602959
I have worked on radio systems for 10 years. You are talking out of your ass. Radios with multi band capabilities allow you to talk in multiple frequency bands.
>>
>>30602897
It doesn't seem to rip your ass off with variety.
>>
>>30602993
I said receive. As in, "The VX-8DR can receive continuously from 500 kHz to 999 MHz."
>>
>>30602993
When did I say anything about multi band capabilities? I was responding to >>30602921
who was talking about:

>>30602897
>Many of the Japanese radios can receive wideband

This is just a way of advertising radios that can recieve on a wide range of frequencies rather than just on the frequencies they can transmit on. The FT-60 is a popular Japanese radio advertised with this capability. So you can recieve AM airband and FM signals at 900 MHz.
>>
>>30598481

I have an FT-450D covering HF and 50 Mhz, and a few handhelds for the 2 meter and 70 cm bands. Then again, i'm also a licenced ham, so have a lot more flexibility than most radio users.

>>30598618
This is not entirely true. MURS doesn't explicitly prohibit encryption for things like digital modes.

I'm sure someone will quote 47 CFR Part § 95.183 to me; but it applies only to GMRS.

HF would be hard. People have said it here but there are a fair number of old men and autistic kids who get off on finding weird signals in the ham bands and military frequencies. If I wanted to hide a signal, I'd use the lowest power possible and a digital mode like Olivia or Contestia to literally hide in the noise floor; or even in the sidebands of an AM station.

>>30601650
>>30601713

I'm an EE, and while it's not the easiest thing; that's why you spend years learning how to math. There's a reason many EE's call RF "Black Magic".

>>30601633
For a receiver, it's not optimal but sure, you could do that. Try transmitting without a tuner and you'll have a bad time. Modern radios simply go "Fuck this" and turn off, older ones would fail catastrophically (Dead radio, fire, etc.)

>>30602774
80% of how well a given setup works tends to be the Antenna. For an HT you're limited to line of sight at VHF and UHF frequencies, unless you get on top of a mountain or building.

>>30603020
It's a meh feature; FM and AM Receive only, no SSB. No CW either, unless you like listening to carrier pops.
>>
>>30598618

no officer sir, I was just broadcasting random noise.
>>
>>30603206
>broadcasting
That's also against the rules. Nice try.
>>
>>30603198
Kenwood makes an HT called the TH-F6A which can receive SSB and CW. It can do packet radio as well, it lists F2D on the spec page for Tx, but you'll need your own TNC.
>>
If I were to study through the books and pass and get a tech and/or general license, would I be pretty well off in terms of knowing what the hell I'm doing with a radio?
>>
File: ham_radio_in_vietnam(USMC_MARS).jpg (46 KB, 1001x698) Image search: [Google]
ham_radio_in_vietnam(USMC_MARS).jpg
46 KB, 1001x698
>>30603752
lol no, your adventure only begins then
>>
>>30600483
I want a company level radio platform but don't know what good options there are to own.
>>
File: muh_ham_radio.jpg (24 KB, 550x323) Image search: [Google]
muh_ham_radio.jpg
24 KB, 550x323
>>30603760
Kek. One of us.
But seriously, though. Read the fucking manual for your radio before dicking around with it.

And for study materials, I recommend the Gordon West books. I think his call is WB6NOA.
>>
>>30603801
Would say get a PRC-320 like him but probably Britbong, there are only like 5 of them in the states right now.
>>
>>30599615
What's their problem? Aside being angry radio nerds in 2016
>>
>>30603890
Interference on the ham bands is less of an FCC priority than on public safety or military bands, so hams self-police their bands, keep logs, and will find and ID you. Then all the FCC has to do is mail you the ticket. Ham bands have always been self-policed in one way or another and back before the FCC existed, hams would enforce rules on shitty operators by beating the shit out of them (see: Wouf-Houng and Rettysnitch). The tradition of coming down hard on noise-makers persists today.
>>
>>30603930
That's not quite true. The FCC still has to collect evidence by themselves so enforcement can take a long time. If hams file a complaint and find evidence the FCC will not use that evidence to send a fine. Instead they wait until they can send one of their few agents to record evidence for themselves.

So if you interfere you will get DFed by hams but it's unlikely the FCC will come after you unless it's particularly egregious or you do it for a long enough time for them to bother sending someone.
>>
>>30603947
That's not true at all, the FCC won't even bother to send an agent out until you basically do all the work for them. A that point, it's a formality in case the guy causing interference wants to fight it in court. Being cited for interference isn't unlikely either consider just how rare incidents are. A dude last year just got hit with an $11,000 fine for causing interference with hams.
>>
>>30603930
>The tradition of coming down hard on noise-makers persists today.
Except in Canada on the 20m band...
>>
>>30603990
This is from that exact fucking case, retard:

>FCC Proposes $11,000 Fine for California Amateur

> Agents from the FCC's LA office subsequently used direction-finding techniques to track interfering signals to Granda's residence, the NAL said. FCC agents inspected his station on April 15, 2003, and found radio equipment capable of transmitting on all of the frequencies involved. The FCC says Granda "orally admitted" that he had received the warning notices from the Commission. The NAL says Granda told the agents he was "trying to prevent anyone from using 'his' frequency by re-transmitting 147.49 MHz signals on 222.24/223.84 MHz to 'keep the channel occupied.'" The following day, an FCC agent observed that audio from 147.49 MHz was being retransmitted onto 222.24/223.84 MHz from Granda's residence, the NAL said.

Every single case I've read about the fcc actually sent agents in. They can't rely on evidence from randoms. This includes the famous 14.313 case where people knew about the interference for years and years and reported it but the guy didn't get fined until the fcc sent in agents.
>>
>>30604006
For every rule: an exception.

Certain frequencies in certain places contain all the shitty operators so the others can enjoy the airwaves. Also see: Animal House Repeater in Los Angles, CA
>>
>>30604015
The FCC is totally dependent on hams to police our own bands. I'm sorry you're getting so angry at the truth.
>>
>>30604023
I'm not arguing that. The fcc depends on hams to police the bands and inform them but they still do not give out fines without sending their own agents to investigate. That's why it often takes years and years. I can't find a single case where fcc agents did not df a guy.

I also couldn't find a case last year for only 11,000. Maybe you meant

> FCC Hands Ham Operator $25k Fine
> 12.22.2015
>Following up on several complaints of interference, primarily from members of the Western Amateur Radio Friendship Association (WARFA), on Aug. 25 of this year, agents from the bureau’s Western Region used mobile-direction-finding techniques to identify the source of radio transmissions on 3908 kHz, the frequency used by the WARFA net. During this investigation, the agency also used the High Frequency Direction Finding Center — a division within the FCC that locates interference sources — to help determine the source of the transmissions.

Every single case the fcc sends in agents before issuing a fine. If you think you can report a guy and get the fcc to issue a fine in a timely manner you are mistaken.
>>
>>30604020
See: >>30604015
>14.313
>>
>>30604042
You're acting like hot shit but you couldn't even find the page for FCC Amateur Radio Service Enforcement Actions. Go read a book.

>https://www.fcc.gov/general/amateur-radio-service-enforcement-actions
>>
>>30604057
Fine Brian Crow got sent a fine for 11,500. From the arrl article about the incident:

>FCC Fines Pennsylvania Ham $11,500 for Causing Intentional Interference

>In both instances, the FCC said, it responded in March 2014 to “several complaints of intentional interference” on 14.313 MHz, and Commission agents used radio direction-finding techniques to pin down the transmission sources. According to the NAL issued to Crow, FCC agents monitored transmissions from his station for approximately 3 hours on March 14, 2014, and heard him transmit slow-scan television (SSTV) signals and “a pre-recorded voice transmission of another amateur station on the frequency.”

>Commission agents used radio direction-finding techniques to pin down the transmission sources

They sent fucking agents in.
>>
>>30604079
Yeah, after hams let them know where to find the guy. If I take video of a guy breaking the law, follow him home, and get his name and address to turn him in, did I do the policework or did the cop that shows up to arrest him? You're conflating the FCC agent confirming your finding with launching an independent investigation.
>>
>>30604091
That's exactly what I've been saying in every one of my posts.

From your post >>30603930

> hams self-police their bands, keep logs, and will find and ID you. Then all the FCC has to do is mail you the ticket.

This is objectively not true. The FCC has to do more than mail you a ticket. They have to collect evidence for themselves. So the interference has to be particularly prolonged for hams to notice, complain, and then the fcc to find you. Don't pretend you've been right all along when you've been saying bullshit like that.
>>
>>30604049
>>30604020
Is the Animal House Repeater THIS bad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_cWfhi7C1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h90KHowPB1w

>>30604079
They didn't get Karol Madera, since he's in Canada.
>>
>>30604113
What are you going on about? You've been confused and irate this whole conversation and I'm not even sure you're licensed. The ham does all the work in interference cases, all the FCC does is mail you the ticket. The agent coming out is only a formality.
>>
>>30601527
This immediately made me think of the ending scene at the bar from the movie "Our Mothers, Our Fathers"
>>
>>30604129
>You've been confused and irate this whole conversation

You're the one who's confused. You claimed the fcc had to do nothing but mail a ticket. I claimed that they had to actually send in agents and monitor the interference for themselves, but they have very few agents and won't actually send anyone in until they get repeated complaints from the ham community.

>and I'm not even sure you're licensed.

I have an extra class license, not that it's relevant. Ad hominems are also not relevant.

>The agent coming out is only a formality.

No, it's not. The fcc has agents monitor for a period of time and only sends out fines for the activity that their agents records. They don't just get reports of some asshole on 14.313, df him once and fine him for years of interference. They fined him for exactly the interference they record.

>FCC agents monitored transmissions from his station for approximately 3 hours

They only fined him for the 3 hours. He had previously received a warning so it was a few thousand dollars more than he would have received if he had not received a warning.

>>30604126
Unfortunately not. I don't understand how the Canadian authorities can put up with that kind of behavior.
>>
>>30604181
It wasn't an insult or ad-hominem, you should be able to navigate the FCC website especially as a supposed Extra class.
>>
>>30604196
Why would I bother looking at the enforcement actions page when the arrl articles have more detail? You're the one who was claiming something ridiculous without any evidence to back it up.
>>
>>30604206
You were so well informed by the ARRL page that you had no idea of the fines I was talking about.
>>
>>30604209
I googled 11,000 and accidentally found the wrong incident. This was since the incident you were referring to was actually an 11,500 fine. So I was 100 percent correct when I said I couldn't find an action for merely a 11,000 dollar fine.

Not that any of this matters since you seem to agree with me.
>>
>>30604181
435 is more or less "shitposting on the radio," while 14.313 is worse than /b/.

435 recently started the Bong Hit Net at 4:20p erryday, and it's listed by the ARRL: http://www.arrl.org/resources/nets/client/netdetail.html?mfind=3604
>>
>>30604232
Yeah, I listen to 435 sometimes, they're pretty entertaining. My friend hit their repeater with a yagi once and they thought he was a girl and used the call to stalk the station location and read it over the air. Didn't know about the Bong Hit net.
>>
>>30604226
We don't agree though? You seem to think that the agent is the only force behind an enforcement action when the whole reason they're even there is because a ham has kept a record to show who, what, when, where, and how. The logs the ham keeps directly affect the amount of the fine.
>>
>>30604286
I didn't say they were the only force. I said the fcc has very few agents and only investigate after the amateur community raises up a shitstorm and basically tells them who the offender is.

In your first post you implied that the fcc didn't even send in agents. Evidently this was simply hyperbole on your part that most of the work is done by the amateur community.

Yes the records kept by hams may influence the fine but the fcc needs to have good evidence tying the record to the ham in question.

From what I've read, the maximum fine is initially 11,000. And 11,000 for each additional day of interference. Ignoring warnings results in upward adjustments like in the 14.313 case.

These maximums are high enough that the fcc can fine someone a ton because they know they're a dick without needing too much evidence.

So they only fined Brian Crow for the single 3 hour incident they recorded, but the fine is substantial enough to make up for all the incidents they don't have a rock solid case for.
>>
>>30600773

What's useful about DMR with a Ham license? Google doesn't make it apparent.
>>
File: fdgfdg.jpg (3 MB, 5344x3006) Image search: [Google]
fdgfdg.jpg
3 MB, 5344x3006
hey i need help. I have a baofeng uv5r and i was using it for convoying during the last /k/ meet. I replaced the battery and suddenly it wouldn't transmit. we tried resetting it and changing the battery again and all kinds of shit.
>>
>>30604539
DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) allows for connectivity to advanced repeater networks. There are some such networks for standard FM ham radio, but they're nowhere near as widespread and as advanced as DMR. From my local DMR repeater for instance, I can choose from local, SoCal, CA, US, North America, and World. With just my 5 watt handheld, I can tap into this system and reach as close or as far as I need to.

>>30604590
Did you use the AA pack in the picture? Did you put the AAs in backwards maybe?
>>
File: Presidential_21-gum_salute.jpg (91 KB, 375x502) Image search: [Google]
Presidential_21-gum_salute.jpg
91 KB, 375x502
>>30602019
>>30602058
>>30602081

Oh, some time ago, I read in one of these threads that I couldn't get my hands on some of the better models from Harris unless it was "lost" by the government. Is that true?

Also, is the military still using the same frequencies that the backpack units from Vietnam used?
>>
>>30605901
i tried every single way of putting the batteries back in. Could it have fucked it up if the batteries were wrong the first time?
>>
So I think I've convinced a buddy to go through the tech exam with me by offering him my UV-5R which means I'm going to need a new radio.

Is the UV-82HP, GT-3 Mark III, or BF-F8HP much or any bit of an improvement over the standard UV-5R? I really don't want to spend the money on a Yaesu FT-60R or VX-6R at the moment, but I also don't want to buy something I'm going to throw away or have fail me in an emergency situation. I like that the VX series are submersible, but the cost is keeping me from pulling the trigger.
>>
>>30606558
The cost for the Yaesu handhelds is on the cheaper side for what you get. They are full of features, rugged, and very water resistant. Baofeng radios are cheap, but they ARE cheap. If you think Yaesu handhelds are too expensive, then radios are not your hobby. Go pick up some cheap walkie talkies at Walmart and call it a day.
>>
>>30598600

Literally none of that applies to OP's question whatsoever aside of 700-900mhz being encrypted which still doesn't matter because OPs obviously not public safety.

Just like a radio tech. Ask a question and get the runaround.
>>
>>30606591
It's not that, I plan on spending money eventually. I'm just hesitant to spend it all on a HT radio right away when I have other things I want to buy as well. That and I want to build a nice home rig.

I just want to make sure that it's worth spending the money. If I do go with Yaesu, is it worth spending the $100 more for the VX-6R compared to the FT-60R?
>>
So many posters talking about hurr durr that's illegal and you could get caught.

Break out your old CB and tune to channel 6 for a few minutes. After that google mauldropping and Cb channel 6. Give that a good read. Then consider how illegal that is and how easy it would be to triangulate those idiots. After pondering that come to the realization that the FCC doesn't give a shit about any of this, not even the blatant retards, and that if you mind your Ps and Qs you will be just fine.

73 /k/ommandos.
>>
>>30598481
152A, 117G, a square black one with a name. Sometimes I find myself still using a 148 or a PSC5 for what ever fucking reason they tell me. Maybe a 119. By and far mostly 152's and 117's.

And it's all real fucking heavy.
>>
>>30607212

There is absolutely no way to be caught by any operator or the FCC if you don't transmit correct? Say you just stumbled upon a frequency and listened for days, even an encrypted one.
>>
>>30607273
Listening not really, but good luck decrypting those streams with any speed.
>>
File: 1467556816175.jpg (45 KB, 262x394) Image search: [Google]
1467556816175.jpg
45 KB, 262x394
>>30607273
"Break squelch and die" - SOTA Shirt
>>
>>30607273
Listening? No.

And the feds aren't monitoring for unlicensed transmission either. Ham radio users are basically self policing and they're typically intelligent in the use of radios. And they're vindictive about unauthorized use. That's how you get into trouble.

Except, again, the FCC doesn't really give a flying fuck. There's 4 businesses in my area using unlicensed repeaters for daily business and have been doing so for years, 2 fire departments doing the same, and the sheriff's license has been expired since 2012ish. The FCC has bigger fish to fry, not that they couldn't fry you and serve you up with a pilaf that'd make /ck/ jealous, but the chance is so fuckin' miniscule there's no cause for concern unless you're running a pirate radio station or some shit.
>>
>>30604286

Your autisim is staggering.
>>
>>30606558

BF-F8HP has a better battery and antenna than the UV5R, you will probably want to get better ones anyway if you got the UV5R so the cost difference is nothing.
>>
>>30607549
I already have the 3800 mAh battery, a Nagoya NA-701 and a NA-771 antennas.

That said, I'm probably either going to keep this as a backup and just spend the $25 on a new one for my buddy or I'll give him this.

But I've kind of narrowed it down to a Yaesu FT-60R vs the more expensive Yaesu VX-6R.

I'm just having trouble finding extended batteries for the VX-6R. I like that I've found AA battery packs for the FT-60R.

On the other hand I like the more rugged body of the VX-6R.
>>
>>30606344
Yes if you put them in backwards you could have fucked up the radio
>>
Lookin for something like the baofeng but more rugged and water protection. Help me out /k/
>>
>>30609894
Get a used Yaesu. The VX-5 and VX-7 both have water protection and are great radios.
>>
>>30607273
It is possible to get caught just monitoring. Modern radio receivers are superheterodyne type and create an intermediate frequency that can be identified and tracked. This is how dissidents are caught in countries that disallow civilian ownership of radio receivers (i.e. North Korea). It's not a practical concern for most citizens.
>>
>>30610568
Yeah, probably only a practical concern in North Korea where there's so little electronics they can identify the mixers.

Based on my experience even with high gain antennas, in a city you won't be able to identify them from more than a few dozen yards away even with line of sight. Obviously this depends on receiver quality and shielding and such.
>>
>>30610612
To clarify I mean that North Korea has very few electronic devices in most areas so the noise floor should be way lower than a modern city in a first world country.
>>
>2016
>not getting your comm gear at radio shack
3GW dummkopfs
>>
>>30610661
Unfortunately they're bankrupt
>>
File: 1243124321423.jpg (202 KB, 1300x866) Image search: [Google]
1243124321423.jpg
202 KB, 1300x866
So be honest, how many of you ham radiofags got into it just to live out your cold war fantasies (not that there's anything wrong with that)?
>>
ALINCO, best deal in my opinion I have personally opened up a Kenwood right next an ALINCO and there is no difference on some of the models, ALINCO just doesn't have the features of the big three but I am still running a 50 watt 1995 Dr 140t, still putting out a full 50 Watts. The bug in the BF f8hp will never become an issue unless you have other uv5r's with different firmwares
>>
And if the BF f8hp goes mute it can be reversed, I'm not sure how you permanently brick one of these baofengs, they are actually pretty solid radios.
>>
>>30604590
they require 1 dummy battery in the aaa pack or they over volt and go into protection mode
>>
On a plain VHF marine radio they have numbered channels from like 1 to about 80 (i think, its been a while)

how do those correspond to the frequencies you would tune on a baofeng type handheld tranceiver?
>>
>>30598481
>Please educate me.
You need a license for what you just posted.

yes, even if you put it on low power watt output (<1W) and only use FRS frequencies.
>>
>>30598600
What is trunking, and how are police allowed to operate on encrypted frequencies when they are public servants?
>>
>>30612240
Some marine vhf channels are simplex, the channel number corresponds to a single frequency. Like marine vhf channel 8 is 156.400 MHz. Other marine vhf channels are duplex and use two frequencies, one for the ship to transmit on and the shore station to listen on, and the other frequency the ship listens on and the shore station transmits on. This works similar to a repeater.
>>
>>30612293
What you're saying is misleading. You cannot use a Baofeng on FRS frequencies period, even with an amateur license.
>>
>>30612293
>>30612708
Guys, I can't find a single instance of an FCC enforcement action for FRS. Although they just sent out an advisory 2 months ago repeating the need to have the proper type acceptance on your radio equipment. Only some baofengs have part 90 type acceptance and are ok to use on MURS. Again, I can't find any record of enforcement actions for not having the proper type acceptance.
>>
>>30606558
This guy is right: >>30606591

I've heard horror stories about Baofeng radios. RFI problems, they fry out or stop working after a month, etc.

>>30606626
>>30607623
Okay, so here's the deal. The VX-6R has the AA battery packs. It's part no. FBA-23. Just like the FT-60R, AA batteries will only allow low-power transmission and will drain rapidly. It's more of an emergency SHTF option.

The lowest price I've found for the VX-6R is $230 new from Universal Radio. I've only bought from them once before, but I had no problems with them.
>>
>>30613136
If you're still here; What is a good middle ground between a Yaesu VX-8DR and a Baofeng UV-5R? Like say, $120-$150 range?
>>
>>30614016
Get a dual band Yaesu if you want a good radio that doesn't have a bunch of useless features. 6M sounds cool as shit in a HT until you try it and no one uses 1.25M ever since novice class died
>>
>>30614145
I kinda want the VX-8DR for the listening range though.
Also, if no one uses that band, wouldn't it be good if I'm trying to talk to someone specific?
Or am I retarded?
>>
>>30614256
There's no lack of room on the 2M/70CM bands, even on repeaters. Your friend would also need a radio capable of 1.25M, which is more unusual today.

If you're ever minding your own business on the completely deserted simplex portion of the band and some old geezer drops by to let you know that you're using two channels according to the band plan, be polite but tell him to fuck off.
>>
>>30614533
I definitely need to learn more about different bands and proper radio etiquette. I don't want random old dudes bitching at me because I am learning.
>>
>>30612825
That's correct. It's basically unenforced. If you carefully follow the rules on output power, narrow banding, and don't use a high gain antenna you will probably never hear any sort of enforcement. But it is still technically illegal.

Part 90 equipment is only allowed to use MURS if it was certified before November 12th 2002. Otherwise equipment needs part 95 certification.
>>
>>30614875
I still think the justification for restricting muh first amendment is retarded. "Unlike other modes of expression, radio inherently is not available to all. That is its unique characteristic, and that is why, unlike other modes of expression, it is subject to government regulation."

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/low-power-radio-general-information
>>
>>30615074
Your link is referring to low power broadcasting stations and not individual operators. We're not here to discuss the Constitutionality of the FCC regulating on-air broadcasting.

As a side note, no ham as ever been fined for profanity alone on the air because the FCC doesn't want to risk a Constitutional challenge. Fines and citations are always for failure to identify, causing interference, or some other clear-cut charge. That said, if you're being that guy on the air, no one will want to talk to you.
>>
>>30615074
This guy is right: >>30615127

If you listen to 147.435 you'll hear a shit ton of profanity. Most of the amateur community just dislikes it but no one has been fined for mere profanity.
>>
>now namefagging so you know who said what
>I'm this guy: >>30613136

>>30614533
His friend wouldn't need a 1.25m radio if he was using 2m or 440, though.

>>30614016
>>30614256
I thought you were thinking about the VX-6R? The VX-8DR is top of the line with all the bells and whistles (and entire Tx bands) that a lot of people never use. The VX-6R is durable, weatherproof, and has wideband receive as well for $230.

If you insist on being cheap, here are three alternatives:

Yaesu VX-3R
>$140
>dual-band (2m/440)
>wideband receive
>not waterproof
>miniature
>AA battery pack (part no. FBA-37) option

Yaesu FT-60R
>$150
>dual-band (2m/440)
>108-520, 700-999 MHz receive (not really wideband, no AM/FM broadcast, shortwave, etc. you can listen to cops and airplanes though)
>also not waterproof
>on the small side, but not tiny as shit
>also has AA battery pack (part no. FBA-25) option

Alinco DJ-500T
>$100
>dual-band (2m/440)
>only receives those two ham bands + FM broadcast band. I believe it can receive NOAA weather radio, though.
>rugged and "splash-proof" (don't dump it in the bathtub like a VX-8DR)
>regular sized
>no AA battery pack option
>I've never used Alinco, but this radio has really good reviews

Anyway, I'm still shilling the VX-6R, but anything above will do quite well. Just remember this: the Baofengs and Wouxuns and LongDongs are much lower quality, Chinese-made radios. They are disposable, so don't be sad if they break. While they may be fine for a first radio for those getting into the hobby, they're not a good idea for innawoods or critical situations. Buy three or four at once, throw 'em in a bag and you've got ghetto EMCOMS.
>>
HEY OP,

I don't know about encryption on the Baofengs but I do know you can set the CTS on them to unique sets for you and your buddies.

From my retarded understanding, this is like selecting a specific channel on that frequency and then assigning a specific code or something, while not encrypted, make it so the active channel you are using can't be scanned by any joe with a ham listening in to your comms ( might be 100% full retard wrong about this ).

You can make a very nice little headset communications setup with these radios.

You need howard leight electronic ear muffs.

You need a PTT speaker mic ( the best one runs for $22 on amazon, called the QY22 or something)

You need a small 3.5mm male to male audio jack to run from the PTT speaker mic to your howard leight headset.

This gives you something I regard as the poor man's comtac. It allows you to receive incoming transmissions off your handheld radio into your headset directly, and you respond by using the speaker mic.

The only downside is that when you press the speaker mic to transmit a message out, your electronic hearing dies until you release the button. This still lets you get the hearing protection of a regular hearing protection, but blocks out the ambient amplification for the duration of your transmission.

I've used this setup with 6 other guys with guns, running different channels for two groups of guys, with a main command channel for the guys in charge of each group of 3 guys. Works surprisingly well.
>>
>>30615583

Gonna put the links to all the products used to make this setup, if any of you are interested with integration of communications with your shooting buddies check it out:

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Amplification-Electronic-R-01526/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468473729&sr=8-1&keywords=howard+leight

>howard leight electronic earmuffs

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1468473781&sr=1-1&keywords=UV-5R

>beofeng UV-5R radio

https://www.amazon.com/QHM22-Platinum-Rainproof-Shoulder-AnyTone/dp/B00Z4X3MM6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1468474026&sr=1-1&keywords=QHM22

>Anytone Tech QHM22

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G7U40Y/ref=twister_B0089W5PLU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

>MU1MMSRA 1 feet Slim 3.5mm to Right Angle Stereo Audio Cable - M/M

I tested with multiple speaker and audio cables and this gave me the best consistency and audio quality

( be aware that depending on how close your mic is to your radio, you might get some strange interference when you attempt to transmit, this is resolved by keeping the speaker mic at least a few feet away from the actual radio )

Good luck out there, hoped this helped.
>>
>>30615583
100% full retard. Those codes just mute the radio so you don't get interference from people on the same frequency. It works well unless the other people key their radios at the same time you do, then it'll just sound like two people talking over eachother.

Wikipedia describes it better than I do:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squelch#Tone_squelch_and_selective_calling
>>
>>30615641

Thanks for link, gonna have a read through again.

I have 5 handheld radios, all UV-5R for simple stuff like local comms, convoy comms, shooting comms with electronic headset, been using them for almost 3 years no problems.

I will probably invest in better dedicated radios in the future, but I have gotten way more value out of these radios than I ever imagined so I wont feel bad when they crap out on me.
>>
>>30615375
>2m or 440
mixing units, disgusting
>>
My friend is an experienced radio-fag & rto, he told me baof3ngs are shit because they spray near-by frequencees too, is this true?
>>
>>30616113
He means they have poor harmonic suppression. Some of the first units years ago suffered from it, they've met FCC standards for type acceptance for years now though.
>>
>>30616113
Yes they are absolute shit. Somehow they haven't been outright banned yet.
Essentially, the way baofengs are built, they have a chip that's a full transceiver and the rest of the radio is an amplifier+interface (the chip outputs something like 5mW which is then boosted to around 4watts). So in making this amplifier, they've been cheap as fuck which means it's really shitty pixie magic wise and it ends up spouting out tons of shit.
Now, do I care enough to not use mine? lol no.
>>
File: smug_anime_face.png (649 KB, 977x1195) Image search: [Google]
smug_anime_face.png
649 KB, 977x1195
>>30615985
u mad bro?

>>30616113
>>30616129
>>30616175
They're not as bad as they used to be, but you still get what you pay for. Just remember that when it comes to /k/ommunications, you don't want to be stranded and SOL when your Chinese radio breaks. If you're innawoods and out of cell range when something happens, I highly doubt anyone would be upset about the extra hundred or two dollars more they spent for the Japanese radio.
>>
hey i wanna be radio fag smooth operator like you guys, what sites/books/vids do you recommend to gain an understanding?
>>
>>30598481
LMJ pls go
>>
File: dog1.jpg (53 KB, 576x720) Image search: [Google]
dog1.jpg
53 KB, 576x720
>>30616484
The books by Gordon West, WB6NOA. Here's the technician class book:
https://www.amazon.com/Technician-2014-18-Element-License-Preparation/dp/0945053797

Flash cards, practice exams, etc. Registration optional:
https://hamexam.org/
>>
File: late-night-sdr.jpg (1 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
late-night-sdr.jpg
1 MB, 3456x2304
>>30615583
>>30615641
>>30615843
Primer on CTCSS/DCS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmiQbLPu6Tk

"Squelch filter" is a much more accurate term than "privacy code".
>>
File: 1463382622039.jpg (89 KB, 667x900) Image search: [Google]
1463382622039.jpg
89 KB, 667x900
Im looking for a cheap solution to monitor the local police radio. Not transmit, just receive.

As far as I can understand its a digital trunked system? Project 25 Phase I? Im not at all sure what I need for this, or what other info I need, but I'd like not to be stuck in my thumb up my ass in the event of another Dallas style or Orlando style attack.
>>
>>30617003
The last I checked receivers for APCO 25 were like $500. Also when shit gets real they go on private encrypted channels that you're not going to be able to monitor.
>>
>>30612312
>what is trunking
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics

>how are police allowed to operate on encrypted frequencies when they are public servants
I don't even know where to start with that....
>>
>>30617003
It might not be a trunking system, most police still use regular old FM. Check radio reference and look up your area. If it's not a trunking system, you can use anything from wideband RX handhelds to purpose built scanners.
>>
File: TNC-setup.jpg (96 KB, 600x462) Image search: [Google]
TNC-setup.jpg
96 KB, 600x462
Thoughts on packet radio? sending text and even pics could be very useful. Smartphones can run software replacing laptops now. Not technically encrypted but still need codes to read (more like a login pass than a code key).
Not too knowledgeable yet, just throwing it out there. Lot of potential.
>>
File: aprsdroid2.jpg (151 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
aprsdroid2.jpg
151 KB, 700x525
>>30619491
Would be nice to find a way to fold a field report into the pixels of an openly broadcast dick pic. Yes?
>>
>>30607212
pardon my ignorance but I am not finding anything that actually explains mauldropping just forums for it. What is it?
>>
>>30619515
Fund it.
>Dick Pick Steganography
it sends dick picks with messages in them but you have to know which pick actaully contains the message.
No it is the black dick with the frenum piercing that contains the field guide, the white chode has the password, everything else is chaff.
>>
File: obama-gun-control-700x407.jpg (62 KB, 700x407) Image search: [Google]
obama-gun-control-700x407.jpg
62 KB, 700x407
>>30619491
i find this very interesting
please elaborate or explain more

i assume it would be necessary to use special software for texting fellow /k/ommandos furry porn gifs over uv-5R's connected to phones when SHTF
>>
>>30619814
Mauldropping is a contest of sorts. A few contestants will all key up at the same time and the person who has the strongest signal either by being heard or measuring directly with a Bird Wattmeter on the receiving end wins. Dropping the hammer on the competition/mauldropping same thing. Mud ducks are the people that the mauldroppers stomp on.

Wait til you figure out Sir Mix a lot was instrumental in starting this movement within the black community and the song Buttermilk Biscuits refers directly to it.

>Now I'm your big maul dropper, mud duck stopper
>Fila on the bottom and Adidas on the topper
>Transform scratching, big beat matching
>I can tell you're getting jealous by the look I'm catching
>I hate dumb skeezers, MC beater
>Dropped 5 grand on my Bird wattmeter
>Smooth like ice, don't get nice
>Just turn up the box for the Mix-A-Lot slice
>>
why are you pricks so obsessed with catching people broadcasting and turning them in to the government?
>>
>>30607337
>There's 4 businesses in my area using unlicensed repeaters for daily business
what kind of businesses use radio communication?
i'm curious
>>
>>30620024
Trades like dispatched AC repair techs
>>
>>30620024
Taxis, tradesmen like plumbers HVAC electricians etc, concrete companies, lawn care, schools, retail stores, logistics/warehouses, factories....
>>
>>30620094
Forgot the biggest one in my area: farmers. None of those fuckers are licensed. Not even the one I work for in the fall.
>>
>>30619972
Because MUH OBSCURE HOBBY
But no, except for a few anal people, the only time they report people is when you're being a massive dickface and flooding the band it seems.
>>
>>30613136
Thank you, yeah the AA battery packs would just be for emergency use only.

I've decided to go with the VX-6R and then a FT-817 or FT-857 when I reach general class
>>
>>30607337
>>30620138
>>30620094
>>30620058
>>30620024
Just to clarify, most business use special business bands or FRS or CB or some garbage like that. Using ham radio for commercial purposes is absolutely prohibited.

As KC9FAG said,
>Ham radio users are basically self policing and they're typically intelligent in the use of radios. And they're vindictive about unauthorized use.

The key word there is vindictive.

>>30619972
Because these are OUR BANDS. FUCK OFF, WE'RE FULL.

>>30621855
Pretty much. Minor transgressions slide. I've fucked up before and was politely told what I was doing wrong; I was even given some good advice to fix it. But assholes (called 'lids') and unlicensed fucktards blanking out whole chunks of the data allocation with wideband FM will be made to suffer.
>>
>>30622042
dude time for a break from 4chan
>>
>>30620024
How did this tow truck get here?
>>
>>30599840
No dummy, "code talk" as in different names for different locations, verbs, actions, etc.
>>
>>30622052
I am become memes, the destroyer of civilized discourse.

>>30621967
You've made the right choice. As for the HF radios you've mentioned, I'd wait since the FT-857 will be discontinued soon and replaced by the FT-891 (pic related). The FT-817 is a QRP (low power) radio. The batteries are a cool feature.

Speaking of, the FT-897D (which was 100-watts) had a similar battery option, and is probably one of the coolest radios I never owned, but it's been discontinued. If you can find one used though...
>>
>>30622388
Thanks for your advice! Much appreciated.
>>
Just ordered Baofeng, how do i not get arrested doing radio stuff?

Also what are fun legal things to do with it until shtf
>>
>>30622634
get your ham license or see if you can fit the whole thing up your ass, that's about it so show some initiative
>>
>>30622649
im reading up, there are different levels of licences is "technician" ok or should i spring for "general"

website related
https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/which-exam.htm
>>
File: huntingsetup.jpg (78 KB, 576x960) Image search: [Google]
huntingsetup.jpg
78 KB, 576x960
>>30622880
>FT-891
Might as well study for tech and general both. When you go take your test and you pass the tech exam, you'll be given an opportunity to take the general exam right then and there. If you pass, you basically get to skip to an upgraded license right there on the spot, as opposed to taking and paying for a second test at a later date. I didn't know that at the time so I hadn't studied for general, but I took it anyway, I think I only got like half the questions right lol, didn't pass so now I just have a tech license.
>>
there are no classes in my area. fuck me
>>
>>30624463
Classes are going to probably suck, get the ARRL Tech study guide or whatever it's called and read it like it's your new Bible for the next month. Then take practice tests on hamexam.org until you can pass them drunk and delirious. Then go take the test.
>>
>>30624463
Classes generally suck. You can buy ARRL's study book or torrent it or even get other ham's guides that are published online for free.
>>
>>30624463
Like others said, don't waste your time and energy travelling to attend classes. Plenty of at-home study materials out there to pass the exams. Also, the tech exam is damn easy, so take a look into the general license class material and consider taking both license classes at the same time.
>>
>>30598481
Can I get licenced/learn this shit if I am awful at math?
>>
>>30625848
as far as i know, yes. it's not math extensive
>>
>>30625848
There are like 300 questions in the pool they can ask you on the test and the answers are literally all available. Out of those, a handful involve basic multiplication and division and 2 require log. You're also allowed to have a calculator on the test.
>>
>>30599615
"Do not transmit on bands that require an amateur license; hams are assholes. They will triangulate your location, and raise a stink with the FCC until you're fined or prosecuted."

Why in the Hell would I want to transmit my "covert" communications in an area of the band that will draw all kinds of negative attention to me in the first place, when there are so many areas of the radio spectrum where even IF someone hears me, won't have a clue as to what's going on?
>>
>>30626382
If you want to be discrete and illegal just transmit JT65 at low power settings on FRS. No one will understand what the weird noises are.
>>
File: GroundPlanes_page1a.gif (33 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
GroundPlanes_page1a.gif
33 KB, 720x576
this is an awesome thread. anon can still deliver!
>>
>>30626568
I really like the "hiding in an AM broadcast sideband" idea.
>>
>>30626699
until you interfere with a bunch of blind people getting an oral transcription of a book or a some sports game
>>
>>30626378
I also have problems with remembeing numbers in general.

So far atleast. Like remembering which bands are what number and wavelength/frenquency calculations.

Been months since last time I opened my book since I havent had much free time so I have forgotten all fo the first two chapters I read.
>>
>>30622388
>>30622494
>pic related
dammit I'm really retarded sometimes
here is pic related

>inb4 only "sometimes" retarded

>>30624463
>taking ham classes
read my earlier post: >>30616535
That book is all I used for getting my tech license.
Well, technically I never was a technician class, I jumped straight to general. I bought all three books, only planned on doing my tech license at first because I hadn't fully studied the general book, but the VECs talked me into taking the general after I passed my tech. If you take them on the same day you don't have to pay the exam fee again. It was good they did, but it was a fluke I passed DESU.

>>30625848
>>30626819
Math only starts to be an issue if you want to go full extra class. As far as what bands are what wavelength/frequency, you'll start to remember it by heart after a while.
>>
File: 0891lrg.jpg (336 KB, 936x576) Image search: [Google]
0891lrg.jpg
336 KB, 936x576
FUCKING HELL
>>
>>30626720
does the RDBS in your car [you know, the call sign and song title shit] interfere with your audio? no. its on a subcarrier.

you want a good time? play the 1050 hz tone.
>>
>>30627241
Plenty of public services for blind people in subcarriers too. Only its illegal for us non-blind folk to receive those signals.
>>
>>30626720
>>30627241
>>30627278
Attempting to insert yourself in a subcarrier of a commercial FM station is just a plain old pain in the ass to do in the first place. The amount of specialized equipment needed is already ridiculous, and attempting to make use of the subcarrier from a small portable station would be pathetic.
If you actually want to do anything like this in an undetected way you'd need equipment which isn't really readily available commercially. Is it possible? Sure, but at the moment you'd need to make your own transceiver. Actually... this is a neat idea. It won't be cost effective or remotely practical for proper use in the field, but it would be fucking awesome.
>>
>>30604286
Literally stunned by your stupidity.

Wow.
>>
>>30599615
>FRS frequencies can be used without a license, if you're using a transceiver with less than 0.5 watts of power.
[extremely well actually voice] that's 0.5 ERP, not just transmitter power, and the radio has to have an integral, non-removable, antenna
>>
>>30627470
>What is GNU Radio
>>
File: IMAG4178.jpg (351 KB, 1344x760) Image search: [Google]
IMAG4178.jpg
351 KB, 1344x760
>>30598481
Ditch the Baofng junk, If you're going to get a cheap radio get one worth a damn. Get something like the MD-380 or MD-390 you see here. (its gun cleaning night) Both are UHF do they cover FRS, GMRS and 440 ham as well as the UHF public safety and UHF business band. They support digital (mototrbo DMR format), encryption, text messaging and several other features. The MD-380 can be had for less than $100 on Ebay, the MD-390 (larger one) is far more rugged than the MD-380 or any baofeng and its IP67 waterproof .

Baofengs are crap radios made for idiots.

(personally I prefer Motorola)
>>
>>30628348
If you're going to go the Chinese route, this is the radio to get. It may be single band with no multi-band scanning... it's meant for the commercial market. Despite this, it's a surprisingly well built, durable, DMR radio for a great price. I think they even have a VHF version of the MD-380 but fuck that.

It might be a bit much to throw a commercial radio at a new ham though. DMR wasn't really built around amateur operation and can be a bitch sometimes compared to D-Star or System Fusion.
>>
>>30628348
I was actually just looking at these DMR radios, have you monitored any commercial MotoTRBO yet? Also how is the battery life?
>>
>>30629055Letsd say I use them a lot and can get 2 days between charges. Also there is hacked firmware out there that lets you listen to ANY talk group on a frequency. that makes it a great DMR scanner as well.
>>
>>30626720
Not if you use something like JT65 and hide UNDER the noise floor. Nobody will know its there.
>>
>>30627987
Have fun running through the jungle with a power eating SDR and computer
>>
File: waddapruf baochang lol.png (508 KB, 461x1500) Image search: [Google]
waddapruf baochang lol.png
508 KB, 461x1500
>>30598481
Here's a helpful infographic for this thread.
>>
File: PRO-2005_01.jpg (142 KB, 1026x684) Image search: [Google]
PRO-2005_01.jpg
142 KB, 1026x684
I got one of these from a car boot sale but can't seem to receive any signals on it. I'm going off local Glasgow frequencies. Anybody know how to operate it? I found the manual online but it doesn't do much to explain. I don't think I can get an antenna on top of my building but I can ask.
>>
yall also need to be talking antennas as well as sets. you can build a low cost field expedient antenna that will dramatically increase your send/receive range. and by low cost i mean copper wire, electrical tape, gator clips and a steel tent stake
>>
>>30630511
Literally every single radio the military uses is an SDR now days. You just need to properly build in physical controls and a microprocessor.
>>
>>30632150
Probably similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N92bbOFSXk

As long as your agencies in Glasgow aren't using a trunked radio system or a digital radio system, odds are you'll be able to receive them with your scanner. I believe yours receives aircraft freqs as well.
>>
File: Morse.jpg (105 KB, 1024x782) Image search: [Google]
Morse.jpg
105 KB, 1024x782
Getting a good two way, learning the ins and outs of it, learning to make FEAs, getting experience troubleshooting, is the most important things you can do.

Get a DMR, also get a fuckin HAM license if you're gonna use HAM freqs, don't be a dumbass, either the FCC will get you or other HAMs will fuck with you and report you.
>>
>>30635334
*are
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.