[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/ I'm not sure this is the right board for this but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: hqdefault.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
Hey /k/ I'm not sure this is the right board for this but I was thinking of ROTC at my school and was wondering if anyone one here recommends it or hates it. I know w have some military personnel here
>>
>>30597780
its just as autistic as airsperg
>>
>>30597780
its shit and theres really no reason to do it
>>
Is it better than OCS or is it really just a waste of time
>>
>>30597780
First off, you are talking about ROTC, and not JROTC, right? As in, college, not high school?
>>
>>30597873
ROTC as I'm college
>>
>>30597780
If you want to join the military and avoid being bossed around by a 20 year old who knows damn near nothing than yes. It's like an introduction to military training. A bit of a pain but worth it if you are going into the military.
>>
I commissioned last spring from my school. Still waiting on orders because lol nurse. What do you want to know in particular.
>inb4 the flood of tards recommending ocs thinking that it's still an easy route to earning that commission.
>>
>>30597886
Did they tell you Anything about getting a master's, how's that 1-15 branch selection work, and how was your pt schedule
>>
>>30597886
Not OP but what do you do in it?

My Friend in uni was in and, from what he said, it seemed much like the Scouts - you go camping, orienteering, team building games and stuff.

Though this is in Bongistan. The US ROTC may be different.
>>
>>30597906
>Masters
Depends. If you've got your Ba already then I believe you can still do ROTC while getting your masters. If you're looking to go from nothing to masters in ROTC the whole time you've got to put in for an Ed delay after your graduate. They only really allow for an Ed delay for certain degrees. They offered to put me in for one when I was considering getting my masters in nursing for psych.
>Branch selection
Basically put your branches in order of preference. Cyber is basically impossible. Picture is 2016 Oml. The biggest things are pt test scores your junior year and your gpa before you go to clc
>Pt
Freshmen do 3 days, sophomores, 4 days, and the rest 5 days a week. Starts at 6 am and ends at 7. This greatly differs between schools. My school had really tough pt my freshman and sophomore year and it dropped off later. Partly my classes fault, but also because of the weird shit coming down from cadet command.
>>
File: image.jpg (152 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152 KB, 960x720
>>30597994
Forgot pic
>>30597929
We did labs every Thursday which focused on everything from squad tactics and platoon maneuvers to sitting through sharp shit. Twice a year we did weekend long "operations" which amounted from navigating from point a to b to accomplish certain objectives like squad attack, recon or ambushes. Not too much focus on camping or scouts stuff. Our campus was huge so land nav was a constant thing.
>>
>>30598024
Sounds good. I'd say go for it OP.

If nothing else it will help pass the time in college.
>>
>>30597780
It's literally a pile of shit. Don't bother, enjoy your freedom and liberty while you still can. Join and go to OCS if you want to serve after Uni.
>>
>>30597994
Too add to branching, certain branches are competitive. So if you are a weak performer in any category you might not get the branch you are looking for. If you're willing to drop onto reserves or national guard you get a better chance to get what you want.
>>
>>30598036
My experience I have to admit probably is better than most though. We had a military base within a two hour drive we could go to for fun shit and our campus was large enough to allow for us to have real weapons with blanks and pyrotechnics. Some campuses literally just sit in a room every lab day and watch awful videos made from vbs/arma video captures and do sharp training. Op, look through whatever college you plan on attending. If it does not have a lot of land or any near by military bases you will not have fun. Granted ROTC is for earning a commission and not fun, but the fun helps.
>>
>>30598094
Thanks bro for the advice I'm fortunate to live near ft.Bliss and our program takes advantage of it. I think I'll go for ROTC
>>
>>30597886
Also op again the program at my school said active duty is competitive, what does that mean? If I don't get it do I hide in the reserves till my branch selection comes up?
>>
>>30598176
I was out at Ft. Bliss for nurse summer training program. I was at William Beaumont. Are you at Utep?
>>
>>30598248
Yes actually
>>
>>30597780
Skip being a ROTC nobody. Enlist and actually learn to be a man
>>
>>30598232
Okay so let me explain this part again. I refer you back to the picture I posted. So what happens is they add all your points up. You put down your branches and they compare you to every other cadet in your year group. If you wanted something like signal corp and they are only taking 125 that year, you have to be in that top 125 of people you're compared against. If you really really want signal corp you can still be in it, but you'd be kicked to the reserves or guard.

You can also just opt to not compete and not worry about it. That basically puts you in the reserves/guard.

Now lets say you are a super weak performer in every category and you don't care what branch you get. You might still get active duty, but you'd have to sign on for extra years on top of your commitment. If you're ranked in the bottom 10% you just have to ride into the reserves because there are other desperate and better cadets ahead of you that is unless some branch is dumb enough to waste a slot on you.

For me I didn't have to worry about getting a branch i didn't want because nurses are locked into nursing unless you choose to toss yourself out of the special snowflake nursing pool. The worst I could have done was be in the reserves as a nurse.
>>
>>30598372
Alright that explained it very clear to me thank you
>>
>>30598254
It was a cool looking campus. I passed it heading out to white sands new mexico. Why the fuck is downtown el paso dead btw? Like the streets were deserted around 6pm on a cool day. Even around 9pm at some arcade bar I remember the streets just being empty of people.
>>
>>30598413
That sounds about right no one really clubs or goes out in the city it's a ghost town down town i like that arcade bar near the campus I think it's called Rubrik's
>>
>>30598413
Also the bar scene is almost dead as fuck since young people don't go out to them
>>
>>30598338
> Enlist and actually learn to be a man

Or go to college first and sign up as the boss.
There's a reason why almost everybody who just enlists does their time and gets the fuck out of there.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.