[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As I look back on my arsenal of AKs, ARs, milsurp, and assorted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 1468215289718.jpg (469 KB, 4100x1220) Image search: [Google]
1468215289718.jpg
469 KB, 4100x1220
As I look back on my arsenal of AKs, ARs, milsurp, and assorted handguns, shotguns, and hunting rifles, I realize that I don't actually own a .22LR.

I own about 2,000 rounds of .22LR in my safe, but I never shoot it because I sold my .22 pistol like 4 years ago.

So I'd like to get a very accurate .22 that I can work on my groupings with without breaking the bank.

What is the best .22LR rifle for under $500?
>>
>>30597372
my fucking dick
>>
>>30597372
What's that?
>>
>>30597372
I hear great things about Marlin rifles in that caliber. Accurate out of the box, not overly picky about ammo. My 795 definitely lives up to that, but for better accuracy you should buy one of the repeaters.
>>
>>30597372
>So I'd like to get a very accurate .22 that I can work on my groupings with without breaking the bank.
you know accuracy with 22lr is ammo dependent right?
even if you buy the most accurate gun in the world its still going to produce average groups if the 2k you stockpiled is 4 boxes of federal bulk packs
>>
>>30597434
>ammo affects accuracy
YOU DONT SAY??

I'm not an idiot. I have quite a lot of just regular bulk packs but out of my stash I would classify at least 25% as being "high performance" ammunition for target shooting.

I'm fairly confident my ammunition will perform well, now I just need a rifle that will as well.
>>
>>30597372
>>30597427
What this guy said. There's a reason i won three 795s. I've taken more game with my 795s than i have any other rifle.
>>
>>30597400
It's an SCR.
>>
File: ares1.jpg (63 KB, 733x550) Image search: [Google]
ares1.jpg
63 KB, 733x550
>>30597406
>>30585981
There's a whole thread specifically for this rifle.
>>
>>30597455
Yeah it's nuts, this is the first .22 i've ever even considered mounting a scope on. Aside from my SKS i think this is the best price/quality i've ever had.
>>
I have two Marlin 60's - one older wood stock, one newer composite. 18 round capacity tube fed. I've never had a problem and they've been great for accuracy. My daughter shot her first turkey with the older one.
Inherited the older, bought the new one for $50 from an acquaintance who said it was a jam-o-matic. Took it apart, gave it a good internal cleaning, and man was it dirty inside. Have gone through a box and a half (500rd boxes) of cheap plinking ammo without a hitch - two or three FTF that I'm almost positive was ammo-related as they had good primer strikes.
>>
Hard to beat a 10/22 - you can do just about anything with it.
>>
>>30597498
Where is it?
>>
>>30597372
The best for under 500?

Anything by CZ.

Ultra Lux for raw accuracy and efficiency

FS for style

Trainer for when you also want to shoot .17hmr
>>
Still love my Remington 597. Light, accurate and came with a factory sighted 3-9X scope. Not a huge aftermarket but I still love it.
>>
>>30598168
You and me both man. Fucking hated it till I got some new magazines, bow it's awesome. Ill be swapping my 4x for a dot soon enough though.maybe after that I'll try the 20+ round mags
>>
>>30598132
>ultra lux
>not just the lux
>>
>>30597372
While I can't speak to match grade accuracy and such, my friends and I have shot an tried a fair number of .22's over the past few years.
Some generally accurate choices though that I've noticed in this time are the Marlin Model 60, the multiple Savage bolt action offerings, the Henry series of lever actions, and the Ruger 10/22. Marlin 795's I've seen do pretty well also, but the friend that shot his most often is a bad shot so I can't say much about it.
I have however been impressed with my Model 60's accuracy so far, I bought the rifle to put a Tasco red dot on and shoot at moderate distances, and it's a very consistant rifle when it comes to its accuracy.
A friend of mine has two Savage rifles scoped, and I have a scoped very simple and general Mark II in a wood stock. I was always amazed at the accuracy of these rifles, even using only my irons I used to call mine my laser. I believe some of this is owed to the Accutrigger. We've found the bull barreled rifles are generally more accurate.
The Henry rifles we've also found to be pretty bang on, not quite as much as the two rifles above but they are built and function very well. If you like lever actions I would consider one of these, they hit what you want to hit almost always.
And with Rugers, while we never did any really accurate builds with them, we never had trouble with our Rugers accuracy wise, and I know some people on here shoot ridiculously well with their modified rifles.
>>
>>30598103
He linked it, newshit
>>
File: 1404587622764.jpg (51 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1404587622764.jpg
51 KB, 640x480
About how far out can you reliably hit decent groupings with .22LR? I always thought 100yds was pretty much nearing the max, but my friend says he gets good groupings all the way out to 200-250yds.
>>
Personally, I'd think either CZ or Savage. Go for a bolt gun if you're really concerned about accuracy. However, with .22lr the action really won't have nearly as much of an impact on accuracy and precision as much as if it were a .308 or similar.

>>30598731
Depends on your metric, probably. I personally wouldn't use it to bag game past 100 yards, but I'm sure you could get decent groupings considering the caliber out to about 200. I'd say 250 would be the absolute max you should consider being effective.
>>
Wait, the scr can look good?
>>
>>30599888
>checked
Consensus seems to be use a Remington 1100 stock for the wood stock, and whatever wooden AR handguard you can find that matches your stock.
>>
I'd get a Henry lever action with the octagonal barrel, but that is just me. I love the look and it seems like it would be a lot of fun.
>>
Do you own a smartcar? A moped? Do you feel those vehicles are essential? Then why would you buy a .22LR?
>>
>>30600250
>why do you need it?
get out
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.