[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Future Weapons Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: dreadnaught.jpg (659 KB, 2000x1291) Image search: [Google]
dreadnaught.jpg
659 KB, 2000x1291
Dreadnought 2050
>>
>>30592970
RIP Richard Machowicz
>>
>>30592970

You know, it always felt sort of wrong that these type of ships are classified as "destroyers" even though they have the size and armaments comparable to a battlecruiser. Same deal with the Zumwalt.
>>
>>30592970
>Cryogenically cooled carbon nanotubes that can transmit power to the quadcopter's laser weapon and knock out enemy aircraft

I'm dying
>>
>>30593141
They have something similar already, you can already buy superconducting wires. I think the Zumwalt was supposed to have something similar but the electric engines fell behind schedule and it ended up with some old AC induction motor.
>>
>>30593112
Classes, in the US at least, are more often used to denote the ship's tactical role. Also if you want to call a modern destroyer a battlecruiser just because it has the equivalent firepower of an old battlecruiser, what would you call a modern battlecruiser that would have the throw weight of a super-heavy dreadnought?

>>30593141
What >>30593228 said.
But also, there was a proposal a few year back to replace the entire power grid in the US with a similar technology, as it would make the grid several orders of magnitude more efficient and reliable. I haven't heard anything more about it recently, but I do know that at the time all the power companies and the government were balking at the cost of that replacement.
>>
>>30593295
I have that info. Its classified, but I'll leak it. I know someone in charge of doing that for a large power supply company in the west. They said that they're currently replacing most of their current electrical stuff with newer updated stuff. Its either this tech or just a general upgrade.
>>
>>30593310
?
its probably just linking electronics to everything, for real time monitoring & control
>>
>>30592970
Servicing that quadcopter looks like it would be an immese PITA / borderline impossible, and it looks like an important asset. Not a great design.
>>
File: zergpoint.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
zergpoint.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1333
>>30592970
>Hypersonic missiles
>Supercavitating torpedoes
>Carbon nanotubes
>3D printing
>Quadcopter (w/ lasers!!1)
Oh look, a literal floating meme.
>>
>>30593295
>But also, there was a proposal a few year back to replace the entire power grid in the US with a similar technology, as it would make the grid several orders of magnitude more efficient and reliable.

It still needs too much cooling, the high temperature superconductors are still around -200C. But when smaller distances are involved it can be worthwhile. For ships and aircraft it allows them to send huge electrical currents between components, so you can shunt the entire engine into powering lasers or railguns. Without superconductors you would have to use huge transformers to change the voltage to thousands of volts so not much current travels through the wiring then have more transformers where the laser or railgun is to convert it back to what ever they use.
>>
Superconductors are a waste of time currently. Any losses by current buswork is smaller than the cooling requirements.
>>
>>30592970
>shell can turn transparent
what kind of meme is this?

"Sir, we appear to be approaching a collection of equiptment, men, and interior decking floating above the ocean's surface"
"hmm it's probably nothing, better ignore it"
>>
File: 1424314751109.jpg (14 KB, 228x228) Image search: [Google]
1424314751109.jpg
14 KB, 228x228
>>30593739
Top kek
>>
>>30593380
thats fine, the US power grid still needs replacing. Rather than upgrading over time the power companies keep doing what they have been doing.
>we have had electricity for over 100 years
>still using same tech to get electricity to where it needs to go
>large wooden poles holding up metal wires.
You would think they would at least bury them so snow couldnt knock them down.
>>
>>30593739
or
>men, we are in deep water, lets look outside
>we cant see shit
>oh look a torpedo! great to have a distraction while I am doing important life saveing tasks.
>>
>>30593708
You use them for computers, maybe.
>>
>>30593380
>It still needs too much cooling, the high temperature superconductors are still around -200C.
Only for YBCO and YBCO has its limitations(mostly shit mechanical properties, meaning that you'll need huge steel core to make energetic wires out of it and handle them more cautiously than fiber).
>>30593850
The reality is that US grid is actually decently modern as the USA is on forefront of developing composite isolators but this is mostly because there were numerous situations where bunch of rednecks got drunk and started shooting on ceramic ones, which reacted in breaking and the entire line was shorted.

Other than that you also have continental HVDC lines on the west coast which would be unusual sight in Europe and experiments with AC voltage levels over 750kV so it's not that "outdated".

Generally speaking we're using those technologies because they work and they're affordable - I mean you can get better efficiency using DC and DC only but the costs of all step-up/step-down DC stations are like 100 times greater than they are for transformer station, so the bigger efficiency simply isn't noticeable.
>>30593894
When it comes to computers we generally can get the power needed for all tasks you need on a warship so while superconductive materials and cooling would increase their computing power, it's not that needed neither will they gain too much from this. Quantum computers like Delta One, sure, they NEED to be in the state of superconductivity to actually work as QC's, on the other hand there's very little need to actually have one on warship.
>>
>>30593365
>meme
>anything gimmicky I don't like

Pick one, Ivan.
>>
>>30592970
>"We're going to build the most gimmicky boaty mcboatface imaginable!"
>can't even afford a carrier with CATOBAR

Such is the state of the Royal Navy.
>>
File: F 15 2040.png (1 MB, 1910x1078) Image search: [Google]
F 15 2040.png
1 MB, 1910x1078
For something a little more grounded, the proposed F-15 upgrades for the next few decades.
>>
>>30594294
I'm not sure if I want to be scared of, or fuck that plane
>>
>>30594294
>>30594403
I makes me kinda scared but arroused at the same time. Like fucking a really hot, really aggressive, chick that is crazy as fuck, you dont want to get her pregnant, but she is just so damn hot you go in raw anyway and you kniw no matter what happens she is going to set your car on fire and maybe stab you because "you made" her do it. I will call her Alice.
>>
>>30594403
>>30594513
>http://titanatelier.com/

If you guys feel like fucking planes. Go on, I'll wait.
>>
>>30592970
Shit, I thought that the holographic thing was a jacuzzi
>>
>>30594294
My dick, reported for NSFW image
>>
>>30592970
>Railgun

Dropped.
>>
>>30594705
Why? We have working rail guns.
>>
>>30595278
The Gerald Ford class of carriers are being designed with the specs to later mount railguns when they're ready for deployment, and laser based CIWS systems.
>>
>>30594038
two non CATOBAR carriers with F-35Bs are worth more than one CATOBAR carrier
>>
>>30595296
>to later mount railguns when they're ready for deployment
Nope. That's the Zumwalt class. There are no planned railgun mounts for the Fords. Only laser CIWS mounts, electro-reactive armor and the anti-torpedo torpedo mounts at this time.
>>
>>30593112
So that's why the Empire calls them star destroyers.

Thousands of years ago the wet navy on one planet where their language was formed went through a similar cycle and now calls all warships "Destroyer."
>>
>>30596984
It has more to do with the fact that modern USN destoryers do mostly convoy work focusing on AA defense and ASW screening. They're not designed primarily to hunt down enemy commerce/convoy raiders or raid enemy convoys themselves, nor are they designed to go toe to toe in a battle line against OPFOR capital ships. All that shit is now the carrier air wing's and SSN/SSGN's job for the most part.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.