[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sg/ Shooting General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: USP.jpg (196 KB, 809x585) Image search: [Google]
USP.jpg
196 KB, 809x585
Shooting General, for rookies and pros

I've been shooting tight groups at 5 yards with my USP but I consistently shoot down and to the left. The act of pulling the trigger is making me jerk the gun. I'm starting to think of the gun as an extension of my arm and it's getting better but it's slow improvement. Any advice? Will the match trigger help with a clean pull through or do I practice practice practice? Once I start getting my groups in the middle of the target I can definitely shoot from a bit farther away but I'm embarrassing myself right now.

And I'm curious, where do you let your left hand go? Do you lay your thumb on the front of the frame and hold your right hand, or just leave your thumb limp and tightly grip your right hand?
>>
>>30587048
>I've been shooting tight groups at 5 yards with my USP but I consistently shoot down and to the left. The act of pulling the trigger is making me jerk the gun. I'm starting to think of the gun as an extension of my arm and it's getting better but it's slow improvement. Any advice? Will the match trigger help with a clean pull through or do I practice practice practice? Once I start getting my groups in the middle of the target I can definitely shoot from a bit farther away but I'm embarrassing myself right now.
If you're shooting tight groups you might want to experiment with hand position and trigger finger position.

>And I'm curious, where do you let your left hand go? Do you lay your thumb on the front of the frame and hold your right hand, or just leave your thumb limp and tightly grip your right hand?
Using the typical thumbs forward grip I favor gripping hard with the left fingers and palm area but not applying much pressure with the left thumb.
>>
>>30587048
Stop anticipating your shots. Tell yourself nothing will happen after you pull the trigger . With a solid hold, you'll drive a tack right where you point it.

Don't develop a flinch.
>>
>>30587048
This is a pretty common thing with the USP, especially the 45. I've had mine since 2010 and if I don't stay up on dry fire practice it bites me in the ass and I throw low left.

If you're a right handed shooter and pulling low left work on finger pad placement on the trigger. You want the center of the pad (the part where your fingerprint whirls or loops) on the front center of the trigger face. If you have small hands this can be difficult with a full size USP.
>>
File: CZ P09 Grip.jpg (119 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
CZ P09 Grip.jpg
119 KB, 1280x720
>>30587048

This is how I grip the gun.

As for jerking the trigger, that's just practice man. And it's totally psychological. I've heard a lot of things that people tell themselves to help,

>I'm just holding the gun while it shoots itself

As the guy above said,
>Nothing will happen if I pull the trigger

>The gun's just going to go off when I pull the trigger, that's exactly what I want

What I did that helped is I stopped worrying about hitting the target. Sounds stupid, but I just stopped focusing on hitting the target and just focused on a nice, smooth trigger pull. And I told myself there's always going to be more ammo.

And dry fire practice really helps. Get that smooth trigger pull on an empty gun down and the muscle memory will transfer over to a loaded gun.
>>
>>30587048
>shooting tight groups at 5 yards

Anon press that button and get that paper further. Flaws don't start to show themselves until around 10 yards.
>>
>>30588748
Wat r u doin man. How does the slide not rip off bits of thumb whenever you fire it?

Also, clean your clothes off your bed you mong.
>>
>>30588940
Are you retarded? His thumbs are against the frame of the gun.
>>
>>30588940
That's literally the most common grip in any action pistol type competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJrA7wMXuuQ
>>
>>30588928
I came here to post this. You can get a bigger target if you need, but having that extra distance will give much more room for flaws to show.

My local range has stands at 7yd and 15yd. I'll always shoot at 15, even if it means I don't always get pretty little groups.
>>
>>30588940

Because it's a CZ, the slide rides inside the frame and allows for a high grip without slide bite or causing malfunctions by riding the slide. And the only article of clothing on the bed is my pajamas, the rest is blankets.
>>
>>30588940
look up 'thumb over thumb' or 'pointing thumbs' shooting technique. it's widely regarded as the best handgun grip
>>
File: uvRWLey.jpg (636 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
uvRWLey.jpg
636 KB, 1920x1080
>>30587048
>Universal mounting grooves
I'm more upset at this than I should be.
>>
Are left hand shooters at more of a disadvantage than right handed shooters?

Is there any tips for left handed pistol shooting?

I just bought a Glock 17 and I'm relatively new to shooting.
>>
>>30590099
lefty here, find a nice ambidextrous gun like a CZ 85 and you'll do fine
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.