[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What to buy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 13
File: glockvmp.jpg (482 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
glockvmp.jpg
482 KB, 1280x960
>want to buy first gun
>consult /k/ a few days ago
>I want something for home defense, maybe to carry sometimes but very rarely
>don't have CCW permit but might get one eventually
>suggest M&P Shield or a shotgun
>/k/ says Shield is trash for HD and to get a fullsize and practice before getting a pocket gun
>They say go to the gun store and try out ergo on fullsize handguns
>Go to gunstore and fuck around with Springfield XD, Glock 17, M&P9
>I like Glock and M&P but they are both overpriced at the store
>Look online, see M&P is like $150 cheaper than the Glock and they are ""Basically identical""
>Might as well get a M&P 9mm because it's cheaper
>Go to another store and ask if they ever get the full size M&P in
>"had one on the shelf for a year and he just sold it last week"
>"Nobody really buys the full size stuff anymore they want stuff to carry, if they get full size it's the Glock 19"
>I ask why he thinks that is
>he doesn't really have a reason

Why is this? My dad just trashes Glock all day and doesn't want me to get one (kek), the 2 guns seem similar. Should I not even be looking at full sized handguns, are they obselete or something? I am not really planning on carrying everyday or anything, although the option would be fine I guess. I don't want an AR for HD because I don't want a M&P sport and I don't want to build one. A shotgun would be chill, but I kind of want semi auto capability.

wut do guys?
>>
just get a makarov and call it a day
>>
>>30586203

Damn that's cheap like $250 is it even reliable?
>>
>>30586250
reliable and accurate

not the most powerful, but reliable and accurate. it's between a .380 and a 9mm in terms of velocity
>>
>>30586250
maks are very reliable. i would pick a current 9mm, parts are easier to find, as is defensive 9mm ammo.
M&P and glcok19 are both very solid choices
>>
>>30586282

Why is the m&p cheaper if it's just as gopd the glock? Is that just how it is and they are both very reliable and good?
>>
>>30586165
The people who trash Glocks have either superiority complexes or are trying to get a rise out of you. They are standard handguns that do their job well. M&P is great as well. I personally have always liked glocks more but I'm most likely biased. If it is your first gun then I would say 9mm is a good idea so pick the one you like the ergonomics better or just get a 9mm mak like they said above me
>>
>>30586165
Mossberg 930 is a cheap semi auto shotgun. As for pistols, a full size gun could be used for home defense but most would prefer a long gun instead, and unless you're huge you can't really conceal them well so they just get used at the range
>>
>>30586165
HK P2000sk, laugh at poorfags trying to compete.
>>
>>30586362
glock is much more popular and people are willing to pay more.
the M&P 9 is a relatively newer pistol and needs to compete somehow. if the base mp9 was priced the same as a glock, theyd have a lot less sales.
i use a the m&p as my nightstand gun and have complete confidence in its function and reliability.
one thing i will say against the m&p is that its incredibly bland- more so than a glock imo, and thats saying something.
>>
>>30586362
Marketing, sales... who know?

I like the Glock better, but its up to you. You aint going wrong with any of those or basically any major brand compact...

Id try some DA/SA too, Beretta PX4 maybe; or even a SIG P250.

And talking only about polymer frames. There are luckyly plenty of good "firs guns" out there. Mine was a Beretta 92fs and still love it, althought i use more polymer now.
>>
>>30586435
Samefag here. I know the P250 is DAO, and i havent try it yet, but DAO revolvers are great IMO so i think i am going to end buying a P250 when i try it.
>>
>>30586165
Get a full size now, and get something to carry later if you want to.
>>
File: 9mm.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
9mm.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1000
>>
I bought an m&p9 for my first because it wasn't a glock. also because made in muh usa. it mainly came down to not having ridges on the leading edge of the grip.I suppose i could have gone with an earlier generation.
>>
File: Walther_P99.jpg (233 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Walther_P99.jpg
233 KB, 1024x768
>>30586165
Walther, no exceptions.
>>
>>30589026
Seconding this, best pistol I have ever fired.
>>
Been lurking a few years, am a 20 year old no-funs but my dad taught me to shoot when I was about 6 and I've been shooting all my life
Parent's have agreed to get me a pistol for my upcoming birthday and I'm going to get a CC, the only issue being that I cant decide on what I want, can someone recommend a good carry revolver? Size isn't too important, considering I'm around 6'3" 200 lbs
>>
>>30586165
Glock 17 and go home.
You won't be dissatisfied and it's the most no humor gun ever made. Austrians are basically Germans so it makes sense.
>>
>>30590778
>>30589026
Although it's pretty fucking great in your hand and literally better than the glock at everything, except the slide release breaking inevitably after 200 rds.
In other words it would be the best gun I've ever held and would carry as my duty gun if it had a slide lock.
>>
Go to a range and try them out. That's the only way to know. I thought I'd love the glock but found it awkward as fuck and couldn't hit shit with it. Meanwhile the 1911 felt like a well worn glove and I was way more accurate with it so that's what I'm saving up for
>>
File: valters.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1483) Image search: [Google]
valters.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1483
OP you're looking at the wrong brand. You know what to do.

>>30590934
I'm sure that you're not talking out of your ass like an actual noguns meme-spouting powerfaggot, but just to be sure why don't you please show more than one example of this happening ever in the history of the 19 year run of Walther P99s or even PPQs.
>>
>>30590972
This.
Although I have no idea why you couldn't hit anything with a glock. I didn't like the 22 and somehow I manage to never hit anything with .40 but with a 17 and a 19 I can thread a fucking needle with at 40 yards.
>>
>>30586165

M&P is the comfiest pistol I've ever held but the trigger is garbo
>>
>>30590983
>I'm sure that you're not talking out of your ass like an actual noguns meme-spouting powerfaggot
>hickok and iraqvet8hunned888 both had theirs break in videos
>mine broke
ight.
>>
File: waiting.gif (12 KB, 302x336) Image search: [Google]
waiting.gif
12 KB, 302x336
>>30591008
Neither one of them have ever reviewed a P99.

Pic related by the time you turn up some evidence.
>>
File: 1467499080237.jpg (82 KB, 864x960) Image search: [Google]
1467499080237.jpg
82 KB, 864x960
>>30590983
And by break I don't mean flew off and impaled the neighbors daughter, I mean it just stopped locking for no apparent raisin. I cleaned it and it only worked for ~100 rds at a time.
>>
>>30590992
Idk. I shot a 17 for 300 rounds and they were going all over the place. I'm sure the gun is fine and i just need to work on my technique, but I was far more accurate with the 1911 in both 9mm and .45. It also just felt better in my hand. I'd rather get a gun that works with me, not against me.
>>
>>30591056
You're not German enough for the sights then desu senpai.

>>30591035
I was thinking the PPQ. I retract my statement and lodge it firmly into my tender anus.
>>
File: 1429819614347.jpg (25 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
1429819614347.jpg
25 KB, 500x250
Hey so uh, oldfag here, never posted in /k/ or paid attention to it beyond you guys occasionally being amazing. I didn't want to post another thread since your pinned thread says not to do that, but I have a home defense question too.

Okay, so last month 6 armed young black guys surprised me at my front door as I was opening it. They tried to rob us, my father got in their face and he got an entire mag of .22's for his trouble. Don't worry, little fuck got life with no parole. 17 years old this piece of shit. Anyway, my dad, he died before paramedics could arrive. I'm scared, I'm angry, I'm untrained but I want to be armed. I was a liberal, I didn't want people to have guns, I don't like them, I liked shooting them in video games but I thought in real life they would inevitably be drawn in anger. But now...I mean, I've thought about it, am I mad at guns or the people behind them? I suddenly realized it doesn't matter, it doesn't, guns are real and people have them; that means I have to have one too. Trying to get out of having one because you've never been victimized is like saying you don't need a seatbelt because you've never been in a car accident, it's childish, I'm done listening to it California or no.

So, how do I train? What do I buy? I'm going to apply for CCW, I honestly think they won't say no given the circumstances. Maybe?
>>
>>30591056
Might I add your trigger pull is fucked.
1911s have gucci triggers most of the time, glocks are infamous for plasticy triggers and you should upgrade it or get gud scrub.
>>
>>30591083
Get a sawed off and a ford falcon and go Mad Max on their asses
>>
I hated the trigger on my p250. I love the trigger and slow recoil on my glock 21 but can only carry it in cold months. My springfield xdm in 9mm is pretty great as far as thebtrigger and size. Springfield was a bit cheaper than glock. If you go sig get a better model. Im 5'9 140# for size reference
>>
>>30591083
Get a glock 17 or equivalent to qualify, they won't let you do it with a fucking mak or a HiPoint usually, and an LCP or LC9 or something to carry because it's small and you need something easy to carry so you won't be inclined to not carry it all the time always.
>>
File: sorry for your lots.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
sorry for your lots.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>30591083
It's unfortunate that it takes a tragedy for people to wake up about gun usage. I'm truley sorry for your lots.

Where do you live? Most states (38 of them by last count) are "shall issue" with regard to concealed carry permits, and don't require a reason. I can't imagine that a death in the family wouldn't be reason enough in the other states.

As for training, you can pay to take a simple class. In fact, one may be required for your concealed carry permit. If not, you can still find general gun safety and pistol training classes. You train with lots of rounds. Lots. Thousands. Go shooting every week or two. Practice, practice, practice. If your concealed carry course and/or pistol training course do not cover local law and lawful use of a firearm in self defense, scour your local law and set yourself straight.

As for how to pick a gun, that's what OP is trying to do. Check the wiki link in the sticky; go to a gun store, tell the clerk the caliber (protip: 9mm) and size (protip2: semi-compact or full size) handgun you want, and feel as many options as you can in your hand. If the range rents them, it may be expensive, but try shooting some. Pick one that is comfortable, allows you to reach the controls, and has the features you want or need.

Suggestions to start with: Beretta PX4 Storm, Beretta 92, Walther P99, Walther PPQ, HK VP9, Smith & Wesson M&P9, Glock 17 or 19, CZ75, CZ P07, CZP01, Sig P320 or P250, Springfield XD, Ruger SR9 or SR9C, or FN FNX-9 or FNP-9.

DO NOT get a .40 S&W.
DO NOT pay more than $600 for the gun.
DO NOT be a victim.
>>
>>30591083
If you're in CA check out Calguns. The lawsare fuced up, nearly incomprehensible, strict and change every day. Nothing sucks more than being a victim of a crime then getting raped by a DA for daring to protect yourself.
>>
>>30586165
If you had to rank the following choices for a first handgun from best to worst how would you place them...

Glock 19 Gen 4
SW MP9
FNS9
Walter P99
Beretta PX4

GO
>>
File: rock-island_1911-fsnp3.jpg (14 KB, 618x343) Image search: [Google]
rock-island_1911-fsnp3.jpg
14 KB, 618x343
>>30591172

Oh you. I want a handgun. What is the best caliber? .38? I held my cousin's 1911 in some big cal, .44 or .45, "Rock Island", it felt too big and heavy to be stable. Does that provide any baseline? Help me, I'm surrounded by aging hippies who listen to NPR.
>>
>>30591319
Glawk
Walther P99
SW M&P9
Beretta Px4
-
-
-
-
FNS9
>>
>>30591327

Get a Ruger LCP Custom.

Its not fun to shoot; but its small, easy to conceal and fine for self defense.
>>
>>30591083
well you're in for a load of headaches as a cali gun owner. i wish you the best of luck.

especially if you live in an urban area, which the presence of basketball americans suggests.

there's like one fucking gun store left in the entire east bay.
>>
>>30586165
Look into a glock 30s. Great all around handgun.
>.45 hollow points so you don't kill your neighbor
>smaller than a 19
>perfect size for appendix carry
>still holds 10
>>
>>30591250
not him, another nofuns guy. deciding between px4, 92fs, xd 9mm and cz75. of course i'm gonna feel them out before buying but anything i should know about any of those 4 before i go further?
>>
>>30591327
Not unless you're talking about a .38 Special revolver, which can be a decent option.

Now, while you say it felt too big and heavy to be stable, that's what makes a gun easier to shoot. The heavier it is, the more recoil it's going to soak up and make it easier to shoot accurately.

Now anon, you said you're a fellow Califag. Which county? That's very important when CCW is concerned.
>>
>>30591374
You stupid meme spouting faggot
>>
>>30591516
Those are all great guns and will serve you well. I'd decide whether you want a metal or polymer gun first, then decide based on feel. Really, at this point, the differences are mostly a matter of taste
>>
File: 1856577278.jpg (53 KB, 697x687) Image search: [Google]
1856577278.jpg
53 KB, 697x687
>>30591327
Like I said earlier in the thread, find a range that lets you rent guns. Bring a buddy because suicidefags ruin it for everyone, have about 100-150 bucks to spend and just try as many as you can. Before I shot them I thought I'd love the Glock and the 1911 would be cumbersome and inaccurate. I found that for me it was the opposite. The 1911 felt great to hold, had a smooth trigger pull and the recoil from the .45 was not nearly as big as I thought it'd be. I'm sure it'd be awkward for CCW but I'm a big guy so w/e

As for commiefornia, skip town. Get a nude cutout of Stacy Dash, spraypaint All Lives Matter on it, stick it in the back of your El Camino and lure them out into the open road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REAni_fAA-c
>>
File: walthers.jpg (690 KB, 1800x973) Image search: [Google]
walthers.jpg
690 KB, 1800x973
>>30590983
You're my hero anon, I love your collection.

Give me your P5
or P88
or PP Super
pls ;-;
>>
>>30589026
meh, i like the glock better. why do you need a decocker? I like to be at full cock, all the time. Thats whats wrong with you punk ass kids nowadays, your half cock attitude diffuses into your shit life.

That and the trigger, whats so good about it, sure you dont really feel it but the glock is fine.
>>
>>30586165
Full size hand guns dont really serve a purpose anymore.

They did a study of hundreds of self defense cases, and the median number of shots fired was 1. The average was 2, and when more than one shot was fired its generally because the guy panicked and just kept shooting till his gun went dry. And that didn't count all the times when no shots at all were fired; most people fuck off if you point a gun in their face. Caliber had no correlation with shots fired. The only time anyone needed to reload was when some guy was killing an escaped lion from the zoo with .32ACP.

If you are concealed carrying most likely you will never fire your gun. If you do need to fire it, you will most likely fire a single bullet. The size and weight matter a whole lot more than gross firepower. You will ALWAYS have to carry it, and having 2+ pounds weighing down your belt sucks. You feel it pressing into your leg every time you sit down. You are always going to worry if you are printing through your jeans.

And you might bring up war or police work. If you know you are going somewhere incredibly dangerous, and know ahead of time that there will be fighting, bring an AR15. That is no longer the realm of pistols.

I would recommend the smallest decent pistol you can find. A ruger LCP or LCR would be a decent choice. Perhaps a glock 26 if you feel you absolutely must have more firepower.
>>
File: beautiful.jpg (76 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
beautiful.jpg
76 KB, 800x600
>>30591250

>pony version

Good guess. Your advice is reasonable, I will follow it. I had no idea you had to practice so much. Thousands, interesting. You're sure 9mm is the way to go? Is it just a training tool or a decent defense caliber as well? Is Beretta as expensive as you'd expect from Nice Italian Things?

>>30591248

Hm, so I need a gun that seems "reasonable" to get the CCW? Like a lightly armed cop backing up someone collecting the money out of an ATM kind of deal?

>>30591288

Got it. I figured it would be nuts, we're blue but not quite - it's just like Brexit I guess, everyone in the city is an NPR-listening gun-hater and everyone in the country has them because mountain lions eating joggers definitely a thing here once you get up past the treeline.

>>30591494

Dear god, fuck SF. I'm never going there again, it's terrible to drive in and they're so stuck up that South Park bit about them inhaling their own farts isn't even that far off-base.

>>30591449

That looks tiny, damn. What caliber is this gun in?

>>30591530

Really? I felt like I couldn't aim a second .45 round fast at all, the handle felt huge. Anyway, Sacramento county. We might move to Nevada or Butte county in response to this event. Get away from...basketball americans.

>>30591650

>rental gun range

That's a thing? Shit. I hope there's one reasonably close. I wanna do that now.
>>
>>30592091
>Really? I felt like I couldn't aim a second .45 round fast at all, the handle felt huge. Anyway, Sacramento county. We might move to Nevada or Butte county in response to this event. Get away from...basketball americans.

Well, going by the most recent CCW map, both of those are good counties for this. So you're in luck.

Anyway, size is a factor too, you want it heavy enough to absorb recoil but not so much that you have difficulty aiming it. Of course, that's talking about a home defense/range gun. A CCW you want light, naturally, just telling you how the shooting experience will probably go.

>That's a thing? Shit. I hope there's one reasonably close. I wanna do that now.
Yep, definitely do this before buying. Most have at least a decent selection, and you don't want to realize you don't like a gun after you dumped hundreds into it.

Now to go back to what you said before...

>I'm going to apply for CCW, I honestly think they won't say no given the circumstances. Maybe?

Don't say this though. Just say "personal protection" and that's that unless the guy interviewing you suggests you put more. You don't want to give them absolutely anything to reject you just in case.

If you say "my dad was killed and now I'm worried", that can easily translate into "I'm out to be a vigilante/I'm now paranoid as fuck and will shoot somebody if they move too fast around me" in some cop's mind.
>>
>>30592091
9mm with modern defensive ammunition is as effective as any other caliber, but because it's smaller in diameter than equivalent alternatives, magazines of the same size can fit more rounds.

You don't HAVE to practice so much, but shooting more rounds will make you more comfortable with recoil, teach you muscle memory and reinforce safety and handling fundamentals. There's no reason other than money why you SHOULDN'T shoot thousands of rounds. Start with a few hundred and buy more ammo as you need it. You'll buy a small amount (100-200) of defensive ammo, fire a few magazines to ensure it works correctly in your gun, and the rest of the ammo you buy will be inexpensive ammo.

The Beretta isn't very much different than those other guns. A little more maybe.
>>
You can throw a rock and hit a good pistola honestly just don't buy anything goofy like a Taurus or Kel-Tec and you'll be fine.

I like Sig, but acknowledge there are tons of great pistols for less or the same money. It's really what you end up liking after experience
>>
>>30586165
>full size
>g19
wut
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.