[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many bladed weapons is too many for a bug-out bag? At this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10
File: meme hatchet.jpg (2 MB, 3840x3792) Image search: [Google]
meme hatchet.jpg
2 MB, 3840x3792
How many bladed weapons is too many for a bug-out bag?

At this point, I have 4.

I have a Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife on my plate carrier for close quarters combat.

I have a Ka-Bar Big Guy mounted on the side of my pack for a heavy chopping and cutting knife.

I have a smaller fixed blade utility knife on my belt for things like cutting rope and other small operations where the Ka-Bar is impractical.

And finally I have a hatchet on the side of my pack as well, for when I need to chop much larger things that might damage my blade.

Is this too much shit? Is there a way to reduce this number down a bit by getting a blade that fulfills several of these roles?
>>
>>30582434
How often have you taken this stuff out innawoods and found it to be useful?
>>
>>30582434

A large chopping knife really is redundant if you already have a hatchet. Either change it for fullsize axe or get rid of the Ka-bar. Either way, I don't see much point in carrying secondary chopping oriented piece of equipment if you already have a hatchet/axe, Otherwise, feels good. Having a smallish utility knife is underrated, your reasoning on CQC knife is sound, you have enough wits to bring a hatchet (just steer clear of the meme steel-tanged, tacticool handled ones, go oldfashion, it works best). You might have a think about replacing the kabar for a folding saw or those cord-like saws.
>>
>>30582434
>How many bladed weapons is too many for a bug-out bag?

2 is plenty, a utility knife and an axe.

Fighting knives are retarded if you've already got an axe AND a gun. KaBar is slightly less retarded, but it's easily replaced by the axe and utility knife.
>>
>>30582434
I carry chainsaw for self defence reasons, I hope you understand.
>>
>>30582434
You can NEVER have too many blades in a survival situation

Deductive manufacturing is the only feasable way to create the things you need in a survival situation,
I wouldn't suggest removing any of the knives you have, and especially do not remove the axe

You could remove the Fairbairn-Sykes and rely on the Ka-Bar or utility blade for killing if you really need to reduce
>>
File: 83737537.jpg (184 KB, 457x442) Image search: [Google]
83737537.jpg
184 KB, 457x442
>>30582434
>I have 4.
>>
File: 110645[1].jpg (137 KB, 2000x1489) Image search: [Google]
110645[1].jpg
137 KB, 2000x1489
A good hunting knife and a machete/hatchet is all you would ever need.
>>
>>30582452
With the current setup, I've gone innawoods about 5-6 times on prolonged camping/hiking trips and found the stuff to more or less be useful. However, I don't find myself using any one blade a great deal, it seems like I'm constantly switching between them for different things. Which is why I'm wondering if I couldn't somehow combine a few roles in one. Obviously I haven't used the Fairbarin-Sykes yet, but I've trained with it.
>>30582484
I carry the Fairbarin Sykes because it would take too long to reach the other blades/hatchet in the event that I run out of ammo or find myself disarmed. The Sykes knife is located on the front of my plate carrier and is extremely easy to switch to.
>>
>>30582480
>your reasoning on CQC knife is sound

What reasoning? He didn't present any. If he's close enough to get in a knife fight, he's going to be better off using the hatchet 100% of the time, and what the fuck happened to his firearm? Did he run out of ammo? Carry another mag instead of the gay dagger, then.
>>
>>30582502
Keep the hatchet and small knife.
>>
File: M3 knife.jpg (496 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
M3 knife.jpg
496 KB, 1600x1200
>>30582511
See
>>30582502
>I carry the Fairbarin Sykes because it would take too long to reach the other blades/hatchet in the event that I run out of ammo or find myself disarmed

That being said, there are better options for that than an FS.
>>
>>30582502
>I carry the Fairbarin Sykes because it would take too long to reach the other blades/hatchet in the event that I run out of ammo or find myself disarmed.

Sorry that's dumb. You're prepping for the one-in-a-billion chance that your rifle is useless, and a charging attacker who also has no firearm is exactly between 10 and 30 meters away so you have just enough time to grab knife but not enough to grab the vastly superior hatchet.

I get that you want to justify your wasted time and effort doing dagger training, but it's far more likely that you'd use an extra mag.
>>
>>30582511
>>30582536
How is that dumb? I didn't say I would be using it out in the open. You realize in a SHTF scenario, not *everyone* is going to have access to firearms, and some my try to limit their use to conserve ammo.

If I find myself ambushed by a guy with a knife in a small room or something, I could easily be disarmed and may have to use the knife.

The Fairbairn-Sykes is probably the lightest out of all the blades that I have, I see no reason to get rid of it. And I said before, I can't just use the hatchet for CQC because it would require me taking off my pack, unbuttoning it from its sheath, and then readying myself.

I'd be dead by then.
>>
>>30582553
>I could easily be disarmed and may have to use the knife.

You've already made your decision to carry an otherwise useless, niche weapon to prep for the absurdly unlikely scenario where it might be useful. Great, fine, do it, don't know why the fuck you made this gay thread though.
>>
>>30582571
>absurdly unlikely scenario
Being jumped by someone indoors is an extremely unlikely scenario?

How fucking stupid are you?
>>
>>30582434
>3 knives
>Fairbairn, Ka-Bar,smaller fixed Blade
>not a multitool/sak with a locking blade + a bigger knive with a fixed blade
>>
>>30582586

Don't know why I'm still talking to your retarded ass, but your scenario wasn't that you were "jumped", it was that you were jumped, and then disarmed of your actually useful weapons, yet still able to draw your shit poky stick and win the day.

And yes, dumbfuck, that's absurdly unlikely. I know that won't stop you carrying your dagger from here on out and jerking off to that scenario routinely.
>>
>>30582511
Fair enough. I should not drink in this hell heat. You are absolutely right with the hatchet and another mag. And yeah, daggers are gay. What I probably meant is having hit quickly reachable - hatchet isn't going to do much good on the side of a pack in CQC.
>>
>>30582601
>multitool/sak with a locking blade
>locking blade

For what purpose?

The only time I've ever seen a folding knife close on someone was when their dumb ass tried to cut with the back of a SAK blade.
>>
>>30582629
>What I probably meant is having hit quickly reachable - hatchet isn't going to do much good on the side of a pack in CQC.

Sounds like he should move his hatchet to an easier access location like his hip once he starts the bug-out proper.
>>
>>30582553
>If I find myself ambushed by a guy with a knife in a small room or something, I could easily be disarmed and may have to use the knife.
>I could be disarmed, then killed

How it works in the real world:

>I will be killed, then disarmed.
>>
>>30582553
Something I'm sure you'll try to argue: you can be physically bested quite easily, even with a knife. It does you no good against a competent attacker and is extra weight for nothing. Further, even if it's a once-a-year occurrence, you're better off carrying an extra magazine for your handgun or a pocket pistol instead (Ruger LCP, for example).

As for the hatchet, why not relocate it to be more convenient to reach? Or find a different sheath that'll let you remove it more quickly?

Right now, you're here to defend having extra weight so you can feel good winning an internet argument on a Brazilian Souffle-making board
>>
>>30582696
>dumb ass tried to cut with the back of a SAK blade
this happens a lot when you're tired or drunk
>>
>>30582434
I'd lose the fighting knife, and just use the Ka Bar for combat. You don't need a knife just for fighting.
>>
>>30582434
Fairbairn-Sykes are stylish and cool for the history but consolidate it and the Ka-Bar into a OKC or m7 bayonet or something more practical.

>>30582586
>If I find myself ambushed by a guy with a knife in a small room or something
If you are clearing rooms without armed friends in a SHTF scenario you have already made a fatal mistake.
>>
>>30582571
>>I could easily be disarmed

OP, if this is your justification, it sucks. You shouldn't be easily disarmed, it basically means you're a huge pussy or lack basic situational awareness. If it's easy to get your gun out of your hands, you'll be a dickwarmer for manly faggots in the apocalypse.
>>
>>30582811
>you can be physically bested quite easily, even with a knife.

This. Things that beat a knife:

>rifle
>peestol
>axe
>hatchet
>crowbar
>shovel, digging bar, pick, adze, just about any stick with a big piece of metal on the end
>baseball bat
>pepper spray
>taser
>well-thrown rock
>a bigger knife, usually
>the exact same knife, half the time
>>
>>30582502
>but I've trained with it.
I am willing to bet your training was bs if it ever happened at all.
>>
>>30583350
Why the fuck is this board so cancerous?

What would you like me to say? That I've killed people with my Fairbairn? This board is full of autusts who feel the need to discredit people at every fucking turn.

Yes, I have trained with it. In what way would the training be bullshit? I've spent countless hours practicing grappling and unarmed fighting, and nearly as much time practicing knife-fighting.

Besides the drills, I've also spent quite a bit of time with the others in my classes doing "freestyle" sparring with training knives. There is no set drill, the objective is purely to "kill" your opponent. Did I win every time? No, but I'd guarantee it's more than your fat ass has done, and I'd bet my bottom dollar if you and I were alone in a room with two knives I'd kill your stupid ass.
>>
File: 1461905969115.png (201 KB, 670x566) Image search: [Google]
1461905969115.png
201 KB, 670x566
>>30582434
>He actually bought a FairDank-Memes chaning knife

My god man, they were a delicious hot little meme in the 40s but now they arent even a Smug Pepe or Wojak tier blade.
>>
>>30583079
>crowbar

/v/?
>>
>>30583381
Listen, I've practiced Kali doing similar shit you're describing, but what I've learned from that is mostly that it's not gonna go the way you think it is. In a knife fight, there is almost always two losers.

But nice internet pretending. Honestly, drop the dagger. If you must have a quick access knife, make it one that has other purposes (for example, when you're in a shtf situation, could you not imagine that you may end up in a situation where you can't fuck around with grabbing a knife that isn't a shitty dagger for utility purposes? Basically, everyone is telling you to drop the dagger but you're sticking to it because you have some delusional image of hoe a knife fight will go, with you quickly and efficiently dispatching your enemies using some neat shit your instructor taught you. Trust me, that isn't how real world knife fights work.
>>
>>30583381
>I'd bet my bottom dollar if you and I were alone in a room with two knives I'd kill your stupid ass.

To be fair, if you're about to get into a knife fight to the death, you'd be stupid to turn down an offer to bet that you'll win.

>awww, shit, now I'm dead AND out tree fiddy
>>
File: 1466015128898.jpg (13 KB, 318x345) Image search: [Google]
1466015128898.jpg
13 KB, 318x345
>>30583079
>the exact same knife, half the time
>>
>How many bladed weapons is too many for a bug-out bag?

Anymore than one. Any sharp object in a BOB should be a tool first and a weapon if necessary. You would be far better served with a general working knife for small tasks and a hatchet/machete/saw for any wood processing depending on your area.

Anything beyond that is pure fucking fantasy in the US. You can make a small allowance for a multitool/SAK or your edc but stop being a hard
>>
>>30582553
>I could easily be disarmed

How about buy a sling. I would rather have a spare mag. I get that you already have it so I can't give you too much shit but if you want out and got all of thisnshit specifically for a BOB I would obligated to do so.
>>
>>30583381
>and I'd bet my bottom dollar if you and I were alone in a room with two knives I'd kill your stupid ass.

Maybe, but how would it go against the go that apparently has the element of surprise, enough of which to disarm you of your primary weapon, possibly your sidearm and now has to commit 100% to killing you.

Possibly with you own gear. May I ask where you carry the FS and how it's retained? Please don't say scout style
>>
>>30582553
>If I find myself ambushed by a guy with a knife in a small room or something, I could easily be disarmed and may have to use the knife.

>Now jump me bro
>No, I mean in a tight space like a small room
>No, not with a gun or anything like that. Use a knife.
>No not while I'm carrying my gun, you have to disarm me first.
>You're using a knife to attack a guy with a gun so you can conserve ammo, got it?
>Good job disarming me
>No don't kill me yet, you gotta let me draw my knife now
>Okay now watch carefully everyone, I'm gonna kick his ass with my knife.

>You can learn this an other methods of Rex Kwon Do for only $19.99 per one hour lesson at my dojo.
>>
>>30582844
I don't see how, you'd have to open the knife and then turn it around in your hand. You have to put effort into fucking up like that.
>>
>>30582434
I have two a Kukri and a and a 5" Buck knife
>>
File: 1466731660135.jpg (189 KB, 754x1200) Image search: [Google]
1466731660135.jpg
189 KB, 754x1200
Okay, /k/, I'm running a Rem870 in a BU brand bullpup housing with two 18shell cartridge belts crosshung, a 24shell bandolier and a 56shell bando, a Ruger American 9mm hung for lh crossdraw, a wood gripped folding knife as my scottish athame for magical operations, a hatchet with a nice but disposable machete to do the grunt work, and a 21" arming sword hung for rh crossdraw for the charge.
>>
>>30582502
I'd say drop the FS, put the Ka-Bar where the FS is. The Ka-Bar is big enough for fighting if needed. Consider a folding saw in place of the hatchet, folding saws are quote light and go through wood really fast. Up to you though. Keep the smaller backup knife.
>>
>>30582484
Should have /thread right after this guy
>>
File: 1463942192391.png (4 MB, 1790x1005) Image search: [Google]
1463942192391.png
4 MB, 1790x1005
>>30582434
More than three is too many.

One knife for general use. Another in case that one breaks or is lost. One machete.

Nearly everything you can use a hatchet for you can use a machete for at a fraction of the weight and bulk. Cutting thick rope, cutting small trees, splitting small logs, cutting into the clavicle, fixing to a stave and pretending you're a samurai, and nearly all other cutting needs. The only thing it can't do is hammer, but that is what rocks are for. I mean... are you really going to be hammering anything other than a stake into the ground?

Lets not forget a BoB is simply a 3 day bag. Everything you need to survive for 3 days. Minimizing bulk in exchange for multi purpose utensils is the name of the game. It's like the people who pack toilet paper. Paper towels work just the same and have a dozen other uses.
>>
>>30582434
>bugging out
>close quarter knife combat

You have to be 18 to be here. Go ask your mom for a new chain wallet with flame designs on it
>>
>>30582434

>i have a fairburn sykes fighting knife for close combat

Jesus christ.
>>
File: 1437677680632.gif (868 KB, 250x273) Image search: [Google]
1437677680632.gif
868 KB, 250x273
>>30582434
>I have a Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife on my plate carrier for close quarters combat.
>>
>>30582434
Op do you even actually have gunz?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.