[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guns for Beginners
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 12
File: Charter1.jpg (53 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Charter1.jpg
53 KB, 600x400
I'm sure this gets asked all the time, but I didn't see a "First Gun" thread in the catalog.

My mom and I have both shot before but we don't own guns. She's spooked by the race war and wants a handgun. What is a good first gun to own for self-defense (and potentially open/conceal carry) for a woman?
>>
This looks about right.

https://us.glock.com/products/model/g26
>>
If she can shoot well and wants a cc with about 15 bullets go with a 22lr handgun. If she's just going for center mass grab a 9mm. Depending on clip size though it might be a bit large and heavy. Try out 22lr and 9mm's at the range.
>>
>>30582096
A trusted friend has suggested a G26 for her and a VP9 for me. How's that sound?
>>
>>30582096
>self-defense
>anything under .380
nope

>22lr handgun
>15 round mags
doesn't exist

stop posting
>>
>>30582135
he might be trying to troll a noob lol
>>
>>30581995
GP100 4" barrel revolver loaded with .38 Specials, .357 Magnum if your mum can handle it (which she eventually should be able to, it's easy to learn)

And since you haven't suggested a price range, I'll suggest an FNX9 pistol as they're good, 17+1 capacity.

You'll also want at least one longarm, I'll suggest a Mossberg 590A1, very nice shotgun.
>>
>>30581995
>I didn't see a "First Gun" thread in the catalog

>Open /k/
>Open sticky
>Open wiki
>Find first gun list

FFS OP.

Pretty much any handgun in the ~$550 range is comparable and deciding on one will largely come down to personal preference. If she plans to carry then a compact or subcompact version of whatever gun she likes would be a good idea.
>>
>>30582105
Glocks are lovely, I own a g19 myself. However they are rather expensive, Smith and Wesson makes a series of comprable pistols called the M&P Shield. I forget which model is equivalent to the G26, but I'd also give than a look. Especially because they are lighter guns in my experience.
>>
>>30581995
If you live near a range the best thing to do is first look online for a few different handguns you're interested in, and then go in and rent those guns and shoot them to see what you like and don't like about them.

That way you can make more of an informed decision.
>>
Honestly for a race war a pistol isn't really all that good. Could probably take out a few but usually they go around in groups. Get whatever is a good balance of comfort, caliber and clip size. You're just using it to scare them off, or wound them and run somewhere safe/ somewhere you have bigger guns.
>>
>>30582357
Is the AR-15 worth the hype?
>>
File: Laughs without borders.jpg (31 KB, 504x336) Image search: [Google]
Laughs without borders.jpg
31 KB, 504x336
>>30582357
>When /pol/ pretends to be /k/
>>
File: M16A1_reload.jpg (36 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
M16A1_reload.jpg
36 KB, 960x540
>>30582374
AR-15s are fantastic.

>>30582381
It'd be funny if it wasn't so annoying.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 320x240
>>30582381
>>30582584
>>
I am an experienced rifle/shotgun guy who just ordered my first handgun. I got a Glock 43 and I'm taking my concealed carry course next Sunday. What's the best holster for this weapon if I want to concealed carry in the future?
>>
>>30582691
Depends, where do you wish to carry it? G43's can be carried under the arm, in a pocket, inside the waist band of your pants both on your hip and appendix.
>>
>>30582322
>>30582105
Lighter doesn't always mean better though, a very light gun will have more recoil than a heavy gun. So don't get the lightest thing out there and let it scare your mom away (ruger LCR) I started Loading 125 gr .38 special so my mom would shoot it more, otherwise it was a bit snappy
>>
does anybody else cringe when they see guns in pink?
>>
>>30582714
I'd like to carry it inside the waist of my pants.
>>
>>30582749
Ok, as long as you don't mind the price, Crossbreed Leather makes some excellent IWB (inside the waistband) holsters.
>>
>>30582777
Awesome. I'll check those out. Thanks.
>>
File: pink M&P.jpg (24 KB, 570x413) Image search: [Google]
pink M&P.jpg
24 KB, 570x413
>>30582745
Honestly, no.
I find that I want a pink gun more than most women do.
>>
>>30582888
No problem. I might advise you that you may end up needing a new belt as well. the 43 is pretty light, but a traditional cheap belt wont hold even that up terribly well. You will also want to be sure that your pants have enough slack in them for the gun to fit. I know some people buy a size larger than they should so they can carry comfortably. Comfort is #1 in carrying. If carrying becomes too uncomfortable or hard to do, you'll stop. That's the reason most of the guys I know who bought 1911's to carry ended up buying a polymer frame pistol like a glock or an M&P.
>>
File: pic6-660x337.jpg (46 KB, 660x337) Image search: [Google]
pic6-660x337.jpg
46 KB, 660x337
Know what else is a newb friendly gat?
A Hi-Point 9mm rifle.

They just came out with 20rd magazines, ones that actually work, unlike the shitty ProMag 15rd mags
>>
>>30581995
My grandmas is 64 and loves her LCR .38 sp. I give her the reduced recoil rounds though because she has bad wrists
>>
File: Glock 17 Handicapable.png (282 KB, 600x499) Image search: [Google]
Glock 17 Handicapable.png
282 KB, 600x499
>>30584410
Could give her a metal framed revolver and a box of wadcutters, that shit is real easy to shoot.

Optionally you could put together pic related.
>>
>>30582357
Aren't you supposed to be in summer school?
>>
>>30581995
My wife decided it was time to start carrying, after due consideration she decided on a Charter Arms Undercover in .38 Spl. The deciding factors were simplicity of operation and ergos.

Also, the lady next to her at the counter was getting the same thing for both of her daughters. Turns out the lady has been CC'ing the same thing for about 8 years and couldn't say enough good things about it.
>>
>>30584577
True, but she handled the LCR better. Said it was easier to hold up and keep the front sight up.
>>
She ended up buying a Taurus revolver because it had fewer moving parts and fit better in her hand. We prepped for race war now. Going to get a VP9 when I have the dosh.
>>
>>30584879
>Taurus revolver
Cheap garbage

>VP9
Expensive garbage, can't reliably fire if it gets wet.
>>
>>30582105

I personally would suggest a glock 19 for her if it's staying at home. A glock 26 is more of a concealed carry gun.

For you, probably the same. It's a great gun that could be used for carry or home defense and you'd have the same magazines. If you want something else, see how it stacks up against the 19 first.

The VP9 gets hate here for having a rather high bore axis, low capacity for its size, and being more pricey than other anons think it should be.

If you follow your friends advice, you'll have 2 nice guns still though. I see you ending up with the VP9 sitting on your dresser at home and you taking your mom's glock 26 in your waistband as a CC gun with the race war never happening.
>>
>>30582135
its mostly for deterrent purposes anyway when it comes to self defense. no one is going to change their mind if you pulled a 22 instead of a 44
>>
>>30585074
She didn't want any firearm with a slide. Was dead set on a revolver.
>>
>>30582105
>>30581995
generally, the smaller the handgun is, the harder and more unpleasant it is to shoot. so dont get a small gun thinking its going to be "easier" than a big handgun

ideally for home defense you would use a shotgun or rifle anyway. handguns are weak by comparison and exist to primarily stay armed when out and about away from the house
>>
>>30585089
im not a big fan of this mindset, unless youre talking about OC.
if she has to draw on someone, it should be to shoot and stop a threat, not to brandish and scare them away. of course, the latter situation would be preferable (fuck you, it would be) but you plan for the former.
>>
>>30585099
look into 32 magnum, or a solid steel 357 like a ruger, which you can then load softer shooting 38s into

if you get a light alloy frame revolver, expect the recoil to be much greater than a solid steel framed one
>>
>>30585125
i agree im not saying you should RELY on a smaller gun, but the fact is (and stats/odds are heavily in your favor) that simple deployment of a gun is going to end a threat without having to shoot a round, and when rounds do get shot, the majority of attackers go running away regardless of what caliber is used. so in the case of an elderly lady who cant handle recoil or weight, i dont think a 22 is a bad choice. its better than no gun by 100000%
>>
>>30585099
is this for carrying around in public or just using at your house? there is no "one gun" that does it all, you have to make compromises for weight, mobility, power, etc. so when you give up in one department, you get in another.

state what the intended use of the firearm is and we can give useful advice
>>
>>30582096
show me a 22 handgun with 15 round capacity please
>>
>>30585189
I think she wants to carry it around when doing real-estate related stuff.
>>
>>30585099

Sorry, I only read your first post. I'd go with a stainless steel 357 mag. Do not get a snub nose unless you plan on it being primarily a CC gun and only intend to put 38 in it. I personally like the model 686.

Stainless because she probably wont clean it often and the weight will dampen the felt recoil and in 357 because you can use 38 in it if you have to for her wrist but still have a more powerful option.

Also, it's good to have something like a 357 revolver or larger in your life for hiking in the woods
>>
File: M64-3right.jpg~original.jpg (110 KB, 800x483) Image search: [Google]
M64-3right.jpg~original.jpg
110 KB, 800x483
>>30585099
And you could do so much better than a Taurus
>>
>>30582381
>pretends
>implying there isn't a huge overlap
>>
>>30585212
ruger sp101. its stainless steel, 357 and kind of heavy, load it with 38s, and it will be soft shooting. just make sure she doenst carry it in her purse, its the worst/dumbest way to carry a gun, yet for some reason a lot of women think its fine. she will have to strap up with a holster if she wants to seriously use it for self defense
>>
>>30585407
Florida doesn't permit open carry in normal situations.
>>
>>30582983

Been looking at Hi-Point C9 9mm. I am a poorfag so its my first real handgun. I have a blackpowder revolver but thats more because I am a nerd and not very good for home defense or as this thread says, the upcomming racewar.

It seems like an amazing deal for under $150. As long as your mags arent fucked it should be reliable damn near every time and its got a warranty that transfers with ownership the entire life of the gun. Seems like a good idea to spring for one now while I have the chance and the money. My girlfriend thinks I should save up and get something "nicer". Thing is I would love a Jericho 941 or a 1911 but I just dont have the money and dont see myself having the money for a while here.

So /k/lansmen, do I just go for the cheap gun just to have one, or do I wait out the summer with just a black powder revolver and a nugget and get something more around september? My finances make it such that I could get this gun and get one in a few month as well. Im just torn because I really want SOMETHING that I can keep around.
>>
>>30585435
did i say open carry?
>>
>>30585438
>Hi-Popint C9
just whos side are you on
>>
>>30585435
have you ever heard of shirts?
>>
>>30585458

The "being able to blow away any dindus that try and enter my residence" side.

Is there something I have missed in my research? I know its kind of got the label of a nigger gun but it seems to me its really only a nigger gun in the hands of a nigger.
>>
File: 755.jpg (6 KB, 165x115) Image search: [Google]
755.jpg
6 KB, 165x115
>>30582096
>clip
>>
>>30581995
Either a non-magnum revolver like the one in your pic or a Ruger Mk. II or III with high velocity hollowpoints.
>>
File: economy 9mm.png (109 KB, 1099x577) Image search: [Google]
economy 9mm.png
109 KB, 1099x577
>>30585438
The Hi-Point C9 is just passable, and there really is no other modern pistol you can get for $150 which is even close to as good (or safe), but just stepping up your budget you can get something better.

You CAN go for the Hi-Point pistol, but there's better.

>>30585458
Pipe down, Helter Skelter, not everyone here is a /pol/tergeist.
>>
>>30582357
>Clip size
Fucking summerfags
>>
>>30585478
theyre reliable guns. might not be refined or elegant but they do the job. they also have a lifetime warranty which is more than can be said for any other gun. people report excellent customer service for warranty work, so if something ever breaks just send it in and theyll fix it for free or replace it
>>
>>30585396
Found the /pol/shitter.
>>
>>30585396
Have you seen gun threads on /pol/?

They don't know their heads from their ass, people thinking the AK is indestructible, people thinking the AR needs to be cleaned every few hundred rounds and that this is difficult, and that the .223 isn't very loud, as well as various liberals moaning about MUH GUN CONTROL, MUH CHILLUN

Even the cucks over at r/guns have a better understanding of guns than you homos.
>>
>>30585887
This, Hi-Point are incredibly generous with their warranty work, as long as you legally own it and the serial isn't defaced, they'll fix any and all problems with it.

Truly they accomodate the second amendment even for the poor, and have a good business model.

Their carbines are even pretty damn decent for their price.
>>
File: blogger-image-1785245051.jpg (92 KB, 640x580) Image search: [Google]
blogger-image-1785245051.jpg
92 KB, 640x580
>>30581995
https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/wiki/faq
>>
>>30586309
i agree. hipoint has a somewhat dubious rep but as a company, theyre really great.
super duper ugly pistol and carbine aesthetic aside, they work and they cheap
>>
File: 45GLpZQ.gif (2 MB, 400x194) Image search: [Google]
45GLpZQ.gif
2 MB, 400x194
I'm looking g for a good .45 first time handgun to CC. I've come down to a p220 and hk45. Never fired either one and I wanted an opinion from some one who's owned them.

>How do they feel in the hand?
>Easy to maintain?
>How does it feel to CC?
>>
>>30586334
The carbines used to be less ugly, if you've ever seen the old Hi-Point carbines, they weren't skeletonized and shit, they just had plain solid stocks, I liked how that looked better.

They weren't beatiful, but they looked clean and utilitarian that way.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.