[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gathering from what we saw in the Korean War, is it right to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
Gathering from what we saw in the Korean War, is it right to conclude that the counter to human wave and mass assaults are lower echelon fire support and delay tactics?
>>
That and defense in depth. It's rarely necessary to hold any particular hill at all costs.
>>
>>30578940
This tbqh. Any layered defense would be more reliable than holding a fixed, static line, as it becomes much harder to outflank a strategy that employs forward units, alternate defensive position, rear echelon troops, so on.

Fire support does help, it slows and disrupts an advance.
>>
Now, was there any conceivable way for US forces to push back the Chinese in Korea after halting their advance in 1951? It seems from 1951-53 the US didn't particularly care to make a concerted push, but could they have accomplished it if they so sought to?
>>
File: korean_war_map.jpg (142 KB, 865x640) Image search: [Google]
korean_war_map.jpg
142 KB, 865x640
>>30578999
>was there any conceivable way for US forces to push back the Chinese in Korea after halting their advance in 1951?
We did.
>>
>>30579061
I mean, more than that. It seems the US was content with achieving the status quo, but could they had achieved more?
>>
>>30579111
Definitely. Political concerns stopped the second counterattack at the 38th parallel; not tactical concerns. We figured if China got pushed too hard they'd call on Moscow for help and then it's WW3.
>>
>>30578864
>human wave

The Norks and Chinese had very good infantry tactics m8. they did use their superior numbers and greater portion of basically expendable troops their advantage but the idea of the yellow reds simply zerg rushing americans not caring that their buddies are being blown to bits right beside them is really silly.

also their machine gun doctrine was far better than ours.
>>
>>30579240
Human wave does not equal sending cannon fodder to die, m8. When done correctly and properly supported, human wave attacks are often one of the best ways to assault a postion and take it quickly.

Also
>Small arms
>Mattering on a strategic scale
Topkek
>>
>>30579240
Chinese did, Norks did at the start, but they ran through their veterans very fast after the UN arrived in force.

The Chinese had a much greater pool of civil war veterans to draw on, and maintained good tactics longer. But they started running out of the experienced personnel you need to coordinate infiltration tactics as the war went on.
>>
>>30579276
>machinegun doctrine
>Small arms

you are one dumb nig
>>
>>30579730
>machine guns
>not small arms

No u
>>
File: 1452442204634.jpg (26 KB, 284x283) Image search: [Google]
1452442204634.jpg
26 KB, 284x283
Will any anons out there spoonfeed me cool Korean war facts or history?

... or offer up a book or two worth reading?
>>
>>30578864
Chinese didn't used "human meme"(people overuse this word and don't know what it means) and "mass assault" in the way you imagine.

They did mass attacks, at night after performing infiltration which negated their inferior artillery, infantry squad firepower and air support. Today this tactic is negated by NVG and better communications.
>>
>>30579773
>machine gun
>small arms

>a crew served weapon
>small arms

>a mortar is now small arms

WEW LADDE
>>
File: this kind of.jpg (35 KB, 305x475) Image search: [Google]
this kind of.jpg
35 KB, 305x475
>>30579822
This Kind of War by T. R. Fehrenbach is probably a good start. He makes use of personal stories of commanders on the ground alongside the actual going on's of the war on a higher level. It doesn't feel too technical or too obsessed with avoiding being technical. Dunno any other good ones but surely some kind anon will help.
>>
>>30579822

The Coldest Winter
Give me Tomorrow
From Pusan to Panmunjomake
The War for Korea 1945 -1950
The War for Korea 1950 - 1951
East of Chosin (side note: found out how my relative died in this)
To the Last Round
Scorched Earth, Black Snow

Forgive the lack of summarizations but I'm typing this on my phone.
>>
>>30580011

*From Pusan to Panmunjom. Stupid autocorrect.
>>
>>30579132
Should have kept pushing, the Reds and chinks hated each other back then.
>>
>>30580011
How did said relative die?
>>
>>30580079

Marines dropped a load of napalm short onto his position. Not the most ideal way to go.
>>
>>30580050
>got the date of the sino-soviet split wrong by about 8 years
>>
>>30579857
I'm sorry man, but I'd have t agree that anything man-portable is a small arm.
But go ahead and post a sourced definition to prove me wrong. I'm an open minded guy.
>>
>>30579240
What were their machine gun tactics, how were they better than ours?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.