[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/, I think it's my first time posting here. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9
File: GB000118d.jpg (83 KB, 1500x632) Image search: [Google]
GB000118d.jpg
83 KB, 1500x632
Hey /k/, I think it's my first time posting here.

I'm a trucker and just bought a Gerber 06 F.A.S.T. to keep with me on my travels. I didn't research knives at all, I was just shopping and remembered I need a decent knife and this one seemed to be mostly what I needed. I bought it to keep on me for everyday use but also considered how well it might work in a self defense situation.

Did I do OK? I paid a little under $60 including tax, more than I'd planned on. But it seemed well made and useful for what I need. Would this work good for self defense?
>>
>Gerber
Here's your (You)
>>
>>30578605
What's wrong with them? My dad's used Gerber since he was a kid, says it sharpens much better than Buck.
>>
>>30578664
>Buck
Here's another one

>(You)
>>
who gives a shit? you already bought it anyway. for generic everyday use, its fine
>>
>would a knife work well for self defence?
It's a good way to ensure both parties involved end up in the hospital. Just buy a taser or some bear mace.
>>
>>30578591
By the looks of it I wouldnt recommend it for self defence but its better then a toothpick i guess
>blade isnt that long
>no handguard which prevent you hand slipping on the slide

for sd i'd recommend something like a Eickhorn FK2000 because german knifes are love
>>
>>30579283
blade sry ... long day
>>
>>30578591
>Tanto
>serratted
>gerber
You just posted the holy trifecta of knife related bait.
>>
File: 20160705_183004~01.jpg (545 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160705_183004~01.jpg
545 KB, 1080x1920
>>
>>30578591
>good for self defense
as far as folding knives go, yes.
>>
>>30578591

Couple things to help clear up some of the shitposting in this thread:

1. Gerber isn't what it used to be, as can be said for most of the old knife brands today. Your dad's is likely a little better quality than anything they sell now. But it's a middle-ground knife at a middle-ground price. By no means terrible. You'll be fine.

2. Knives aren't especially good as defensive weapons. Their effectiveness as a weapon mostly relies on element of surprise, and second to that on blade length. So all pocket knives regardless of features are more or less on the same level of mediocrity as a weapon. But it's better than nothing for sure. If you're serious about needing defenses that are legal across state lines, consider carrying mace as your primary go-to, pocket knife as a backup.

Finally, remember most of self-defense is about mindset. Use your environment. Use your head. Whatever your tools are, put your mind to it you'll come out alive at all costs and your chances are much better.
>>
>>30582098
This guys right, get pepper spray to go with it. It gives you additional range and a non lethal option as well as fucking up your attacker before you go hands on. Plus if you do gotta stab someone you can say you sprayed them first and it won't look as bad. I'd have got something else, but the gerber is fine and you already have it.
>>
>>30578591
All these knife Queens are hilarious. When it comes down to it basically everything above $30 is going to be just slightly different sharp metal.
>>
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 1912x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 1912x1080
>>30578591
Knifes are great for self defense if you wanna get killed. It's gun or run because if they get a hold of your knife you're basically a dead man. If you pull your weapon you want to be prepared for anything and you won't be with a fucking knife so just think for a minute before making a post you stupid freckle faced bitch. You don't know if your attacker has a friend close by. You're an idiot and should be carrying any weapons for asking such a dumb question.
>>
File: OKC RAT-1.jpg (28 KB, 1070x552) Image search: [Google]
OKC RAT-1.jpg
28 KB, 1070x552
>>30578591
Wouldn't fail you.

Gerber and Buck both make workable products without obvious shortcomings.

Its made of 7Cr17MoV, which is similar to 440a with more vanadium (thanks google).
Its probably better than 420HC which is fairly standard on Gerber knives, it isn't amazing, but it is mid-range steel, and should be reliable, as long as you maintain it there shouldn't be a substantial problem.
Just remember a folder isn't a fixed blade, and shouldn't be used for prying of any kind, and you should be fine.

It's effectiveness for self defense depends on the quality of its serrations, and its length.
Low quality serrations aren't good for much, but good ones will go through any fiber like nothing.

If you spent $60 you paid less than RRP ($88) which isn't bad at all, and in that price range most things would be of comparable quality, with the exception of a few high quality value knives like the Ontario Rat-1 and ESEE Avispa.

You did alright.
>>
File: Parrots.jpg (229 KB, 960x360) Image search: [Google]
Parrots.jpg
229 KB, 960x360
ITT
>>
>>30582348

Sun Conures? I don't understand
>>
>>30582333
>if they get a hold of your knife

explain how you would wrestle a knife from someone's grip without losing a finger. i want to hear this.

then when you're done with that, explain why it's worse to get murdered with your own knife then get murdered however they were gonna do it anyway.

literally the exact argument anti-gunners use. well done dipshit.
>>
File: 1465867181939.jpg (85 KB, 1137x640) Image search: [Google]
1465867181939.jpg
85 KB, 1137x640
>>30578591
Your skill in a melee fight is FAR more relevant than the type of knife you use.

Generally speaking, the number one rule with a knife fight against a bigger opponent who is presumably unarmed is to never let the knife leave your hands. If you let the other guy have it, your advantage is now his advantage and your dead.
>>
>>30582354
>I don't understand

No surprise there, understanding things isn't what parrots are known for.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 602x468) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 602x468
>>30582363
Fuck off, you've never caught people with a knife. You can beat them up easy. It's not scary like a gun!
>>
>>30582376
>gun
>scary

oh, you are an anti.

my mistake, carry on...
>>
>>30582376
This, most people don't realize it's easy to beat up people with knives. It's better to have a gun.
>>
File: 1455097967739.jpg (370 KB, 563x700) Image search: [Google]
1455097967739.jpg
370 KB, 563x700
>>30582376
weeaboo pictures gave it away, try less hard next time.
>>
>>30582391
Well compared to a knife they are. I'm from Compton and I trash thugs with knives all the time. I usually just throw sand or dirt in their eyes or some shit then give them a clean punch right in the mouth. Than walk away while they think about how they messed up.
>>
>>30582363
Your grab their wrist/forearm and manipulate it from there. Do it fast enough and with enough force and maybe you have a chance. Generally speaking though, yes your probably going to get cut unless you absolutely know what your doing and he doesn't.
>>
>>30582333
Your post is stupid and you should feel bad.
>>
>>30578664
Newer production Gerbers are not constructed as well ass the older, American made Gerbers.
>>
File: 20160624_005726.jpg (3 MB, 2267x4032) Image search: [Google]
20160624_005726.jpg
3 MB, 2267x4032
>>30578591
My experience with Gerbers is that they work great for about 1 or 2 months before you start seeing play in the lockup and lock itself. Once that happens at all, it is no longer suitable for self defense. The best self defense knives are simple, with few components that could fail. So, the best is going to be a quality fixed blade, even over the best manual folder. Anyways, enjoy your Gerber while you still can... and go with a benchmade folder or some kind of fixed blade when it breaks down.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.