[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was just playing Civ, when this happened again. Montezuma-Gandi-Stalin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: advice-sid2.jpg (58 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
advice-sid2.jpg
58 KB, 360x360
I was just playing Civ, when this happened again. Montezuma-Gandi-Stalin McRetardFace declared war on me. When I had my own FUCKING CONTINENT, surrounded by modern destroyers, airforce, infantry and tanks rolling all over the place. And he thought it would be a good time to start his galleon-loaded invasion with longbowmen and musketmen.

But this had me thinking... are there any historical equivalents? Where one side is CLEARLY overwhelmingly more powerful, and the other hopelessly outclassed, and yet the weak idiot declares war in all honesty with intention to somehow WIN it.

And no, I'm not talking about when some nation is trying to capitalize on others moment of weakness. Or some natives trying to overthrow powerful imperialistic occupiers. Or terrorists that don't really count as legit nation..

Just straight up madness where overzealous will of some crazy emperor etc takes the better of rational "there is now fucking way we will win this" -thinking.

Can anyone think of an example?
>>
The first and second world war.
>>
>>30570718

I Disagree.

The start of First world war was a total clusterfuck with about a hundred different moving parts and motivations.
In the second, there was a genuine chance that germany might grab a victory before others had time to prevent it.
>>
>>30570658
>Or some natives trying to overthrow powerful imperialistic occupiers.
But that's your most common example where it happened, barring someone with grossly inaccurate data in their planning (so maybe someone who fought the Mongols?).
>>
>>30570658
Rhodesian Bush war?

The rebels had shit for training, shit for equipment, and were going up against one of the best trained forces in the world that was pretty well equipped.

Rebels won through zerg rush of course.
>>
File: 1446190798934.jpg (140 KB, 792x1510) Image search: [Google]
1446190798934.jpg
140 KB, 792x1510
>>30570658
We talking wars specifically or battles too? If battles, pic related (Korean admiral Yi Sun Shin) decided to ignore royal orders to scuttle his 12 ships and instead force battle against 300+ Japanese ships, even though his single super-ship had been burned by a traitor.

He won with 30 Japanese ships sank and their invasion force withdrawn, and no losses on his own side. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Myeongnyang
>>
>>30570658
WW2
>>
>>30570798
Maybe that Japan-Korea war might qualify as such.

Remember that the japanese objective was not to conquer just Korea, but CHINA TOO! Yeah, korea was just a stepping stone.

Although Japan WAS strong by the time, did they REALLY think they might just steamroll the whole fucking China into submission?
>>
>>30570658
Peru?
>>
>>30570658
I'd say the opium wars

brits were fucking with the Chinese, Chinese though they could fight them with 14th century arms and tactics.
>>
>>30570658

>Can anyone think of an example?

Yeah, the Paraguayan War:

>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguayan_War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguayan_War

>"almost 70% of its adult male population died, according to some counts - and was forced to cede territory to Argentina and Brazil. According to some estimates, Paraguay's pre-war population of 525,000 was reduced to 221,000 of which only 28,000 were men.[8]"
>>
File: get_wrecked_faggots.jpg (166 KB, 600x644) Image search: [Google]
get_wrecked_faggots.jpg
166 KB, 600x644
>>30570741
Germany was fucked the moment it declared war on the United States. They MIGHT have been able to fight an un-supported Soviet Union to a draw, but with the world's largest economy backing the world's largest army it was a foregone conclusion.

And then there's Japan...
>>
Name is escaping me right now but when the british showed up to india they sunk the entire indian fleet with like 5 ships
>>
>>30570934
>so how do you want your navy?
>just fuck my shit up
>say no more senpi
>>
>>30570781
Doesn't really work. Rebels had two of the most powerful nations in the world backing them (China and the USSR depending on the faction), whereas the Rhodesian forces were under constant blockade and had limited opportunities for resupply.

The Rhodesian forces were masters of improvisation- one of their mine clearance vehicles (the Pookie) used leftover tires from the South African Grand Prix.

I think they would have rather purchased new, however.
>>
>>30570964
Japanese ships are pretty cool. They're all submersible once.
>>
Uh, I'd guess the Anglo-Zulu war, maybe?
>>
>>30570934

Holy shit. The IJN got raped hard lol.
>>
>>30570934
Is this a .kml for Google Earth? if so how do I get? Any for other navies?
>>
>>30570934
Japan's entire plan was "Bloody America's nose so they stop fucking with our trade, then make peace and take over Asia." Instead, they pissed the USA off and got into a war they couldn't win but wouldn't admit they'd lose.
>>
>>30571016
This is the closest that comes to mind
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.