[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The colt 901 is not a bad idea for a SHTF rifle. >ARs and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: CLT_LE901-16S-1.jpg (7 KB, 535x171) Image search: [Google]
CLT_LE901-16S-1.jpg
7 KB, 535x171
The colt 901 is not a bad idea for a SHTF rifle.

>ARs and AKs would undoubtedly be the most common "combat" rifles. The 901's upper can be replace by an AR upper, so AR parts could be scavenged for repair easily. That's an advantage guys with SCARs or ACRs don't have.

>If you are running low on 7.62, and can only seem to find .223 or 5.56, you can swap uppers accordingly or vice versa.

>The monolithic upper is a solid piece. K.I.S.S.

The only real disadvantage is that if your lower becomes damaged there might be an issue.
>>
>>30564723
I don't think they're producing the 901-16s anymore just the 901-16se which uses some kind of bolt on rail sections or something.

Honestly idk why they haven't come out with a model that uses an M-LOK rail.
>>
>>30564853
The LE version is still manufactured, on Colt's website it's listed under "Law enforcement" rather than "Rifles" or something like that
>>
The 901 was a heaping pile of mediocrity that didn't manage to even do its gimmick in a stellar fashion.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 900x291) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 900x291
>>30564882
All I'm finding is the SE version though like pic related.
>>
>>30565070
http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Law-Enforcement/Products/Colt-Modular-Carbine
>>
>scavenge AR parts

Yeah if you happen to find uppers laying around. At one point it may have been a good idea like the Masada, but nobody is changing calibers in the field and nobody that can afford a 901 is too broke to buy a lower unless a person has an absolute budget so they can't afford two Gucci lowers or legally restricted amount of firearms it's pointless.

Its greatest achievements were showing Colt is only mostly behind the times and getting into MW3.

A generic AR10/15 and a break action would make more sense than lugging another upper around
>>
>>30564723
The ACR has the same whole modular concept too right?

I don't know why /k/ shits on it so much honestly.
>>
>>30568113

Because it was popular (among "normie" gun nuts at least) for a while.

Popular things are things to be hated constantly and irrationally.

Just like we're /v/.
>>
>>30568113
It has the "concept" but never really delivered on what the Masada promised, making it just another "ar killer" with no real improvements

>>30568252

Shaddup
>>
>>30568429
I thought it delivered in a lot of key areas like reliability and even ergonomics. I know the ergos are a high point about the gun.

If I'm not mistaken the ACR is piston stroke which is pretty nice. It *does* look a little flimsy though I must admit, at least compared to the SCAR. That gun really does look tight. I just wish it wasn't so fucking expensive.
>>
>>30568467
>>30568467
It delivered on being another ergonomic 5.56 rifle, which the world really isn't in short supply of. The big thing the Masada was supposed to do is have quick chance caliber kits, so you could change between 6.8 and 5.56 etc. with minimal hassle but Remington and bushmaster never delivered. Without that it's no different from the scar or mcx, another really cool but ultimately overpriced 5.56 rifle
>>
>>30567797
As I expressed, ARs and AKs would be the most common "combat" rifles one would come across.

And changing calibers isn't an on the fly sort of thing, but having the ability to switch over from one caliber to another would still be a massive advantage when you have to find your own ammo.
>>
>>30568534
Don't forget the recall.
>>
>>30568113
It's a great concept that was poorly executed and ruined by Cerberus.

The rifle was originally supposed to be ~$1500 MSRP, but it ended up being twice that with less features than promised. In addition the rifle had several problems with both the Bushmaster and Remington Defense models and it was kinda heavy for a 5.56 carbine.
>>
>>30571827
Not to mention the recall because it could go full-auto on you.
>>
>>30571887
Sounds like a Taurus.
>>
I like the 901, but it's accuracy is like 3 MOA or some shit
>>
>>30572986
It's not that bad. The issue I have is the barrel wrench requirement means you're SOL once the barrel is done. (Although that is/has been fixed now just have to spend $) I've also seen people complain about it being picky about which suppressor it will run with.

Love the lower and unique features it offers. Hopefully it takes off so the aftermarket embraces it.
>>
>>30571887
Don't forget that Magpul had to add the overinsertion stop to all their PMAGs just to keep the rifle from ejecting rounds when inserting a new mag with the bolt locked back.
>>
>>30564723
If your in a SHTF situation, and your finding .223, your probably finding .223 guns. Carrying around a spare upper seems somewhat silly. But lets say you want to carry around extra shit. There are conversion kits for the SCAR 17 to let it fire .223 rounds. Spare barrel, bcg, and trigger housing.

Ammo is the thing thats going to go first, finding ammo stockpiles, but no weapons seems silly.
>>
>>30575154
With a SCAR you still wouldn't have the advantage of literally half the weapon being comprised of parts that are relatively "easy" to come across.

And I'm not saying carry it around like in your backpack, because the 901 doesn't allow an on the fly sort of change, I'm saying if you're running low on 5.56 you could start using 7.62 with the same weapon.

And while yes generally the ammo you find would be with the weapon that uses it, that won't always be the case, so having a two in one platform would still give an edge.
>>
>>30577123
>The same weapon
But its not the same weapon if you have to swap out upper, and adjust the lower. Additionally since your not running an AR, your much less likely to have bolt related issues. the SCAR, and many other more modern designs have a much more forgiving parts MRBF.

>Two in one platform
You just finished saying your not carrying it around. Which means your caching it someplace. Why not just have multiple rifles stashed there. Especially if your worried about finding parts. If its not on you, its not a two in one solution.
>>
>>30577286
>>30577286
If you have bolt related issues, good lick finding a SCAR bolt instead of an AR bolt.

And you don't necessarily need to cache it, hell just leave it in a trunk. That's a lot easier than driving around with an armory.
>>
>>30577387
Good luck breaking SCAR bolt.
>>
>>30577410
Murphy's Law
>>
>>30577445
Your apparently counting on being able to find ammo and gas during a SHTF scenario. These are things that are going to disappear like clean water.

Im not sure what dystopian paradise you envision.

If you like the 901, get it. But dont delude yourself that its two rifles. Or you need to plan for hard to break items breaking down before ammo runs out. And why the fuck is it every 22 year old who dreams about SHTF has it in their heads that they cannot pickup a rifle if your shooting so much damn ammo.
>>
>>30577577
I'm not counting on finding ammo. That's why the ability to use multiple calibers would be an advantage. I don't see what's hard to grasp about this.
>>
>>30577620
You already said that 901 isnt designed for change on the fly conversion. Your have to have a place to store the conversion components. Why not just have a number of rifles, in a number of calibers there?

If your worried about parts commonality, get a bunch of boring ass ARs in every major caliber? many parts interchange between them all.
>>
>>30577751
It may not be an on the fly change but it doesn't require tools and could be done in the field.

And even if you were to carry an upper in like a backpack that's still easier than lugging around a bunch of other ARs.

You're thinking way too hard into this.
>>
>>30577802
Put it this way, essentially everyone who gotten into guns over... the last two decades if not longer, has put thought into "muh SHTF"

And very, very few of them have arrived on the colt 901, or other rifles that do a similar thing as the answer. I know one person who has one. Who only got it to save on tax stamps.

By all means go out an buy it. But you havent thought enough on what it is your looking to do in your never going to happen TEOTWAWKI scenario.
>>
>>30577871
k
>>
File: Colt-MARC901-1.jpg (44 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
Colt-MARC901-1.jpg
44 KB, 600x399
>>30577751
>>30577802
It's literally a magwell adapter and a buffer and buffer spring kit. The lower and 7.62x51 upper have that angled, lower position TD pin point to lock the adapter in on standard AR15 uppers.
>>
>>30578012
That magwell adapter looks delicate when not installed. Not something id want to keep inside of a bag
>>
desu senpai, .308 for SHTF is a meme

5.56/.223 is the most common rifle cartridge in America, and AR-15 pattern rifles are the most common. An AR-15 would be the easiest rifle to feed and maintain in a post-Happening world.

An AR-10 isn't garbage or anything, but .308 is overpowered for most practical uses (sans hunting), and makes the rifle heavier, more difficult to manipulate in close quarters (where most gunfights will take place), and will be more difficult to maintain.
>>
>>30578061
If it's SHTF the best you could do is avoid CQB altogether unless you're an ex SEAL or some shit.

CQB is fucking dangerous.
>>
>>30578104

CQB would be the only kind of gunfight that you couldn't avoid (people stumbling upon your position or you accidentally stumbling onto someone elses'. At the ranges where .308 would provide a meaningful advantage, you would be much better off running away.
>>
>>30578061
>>30578104
>>30578143
If SHTF and you go it alone innawoods, you're that lone psycho causing trouble for everyone.
>>
>>30578143
That's fair, so keep the .223 upper on. If you need to hunt, put on the .308.

If you're traveling, especially by foot, that's less weight.
>>
>>30578201

AR-10 and AR-15 use different lowers, senpai.

Ideally you'd have both, though.
>>
>>30578273
We're talking the Colt M.A.R.C. 901, which is an AR-10 designed to be able to use AR-15 uppers as well via >>30578012
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.