[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Common metal bullets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (163 KB, 706x706) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163 KB, 706x706
Yo weapons Normie here I was wondering if its possible or plausible to make bullets from cheep, more common metals than lead such as copper, tin, aluminum, etc.
>>
>>30555007
They already make solid copper bullets for hunting in CA but they're in no way cheaper
>>
>>30555007
>cheep, more common metals than lead
>copper, tin, aluminum
>>
>>30555007
they do make bullets from other materials but lead is probably the most perfect material to make bullets out of since the concept of firearms was born
>>
Sure I guess. But usually their more expensive from manufacturers. If you have a lathe and/or high temp smelter with molds the skies the limit I suppose. Generally I think cast lead bullets are very cheap to produce though.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 880x660
>>
Copper solids are common hunting bullets.

The problem lies in weight to mass ratios and malleablity. Has to be soft enough to to not damage the barrel heavy enough to carry energy and strong enough to retain shape at 100,000psi.
>>
Pb 0.83 USD/lb
Cu 2.14 USD/lb
Sn 8.05 USD/lb
Al 0.74 USD/lb
>>
>>30555065
if gold was a lot more common would it work?
>>
Also I forgot to add, my uncle literally casts his own bullets from assorted wheel weights and old fishing sinkers.
>>
I always felt like i could cast bullets with solder.
Any input?
>>
File: image.jpg (143 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143 KB, 640x480
Where can a bro scrap lead? Is there I high rish of getting lead poisoning?
>>
>>30555111
take a shovel to literally any outdoor shooting spot and start sifting.
>>
You can make bullets out of nearly any solid. Yet we've stuck to lead for six hundred years or so. This is because lead has very good performance as a bullet material, it's very easy to mass produce bullets out of it, and it's quite cheap.

Copper is used, but lacks a bit of density compared to lead, and costs two and a half times as much.

Tin costs nearly ten times as much as lead.

Aluminium is slightly cheaper, but its pitiful density makes it an awful choice.

Now if you want cheap and common... steel. A bit more work turning it into bullets though, and on its own it can be a bit harsh on the rifling. Lower density than lead isn't good, but it's the hardest and strongest metal in the lineup so far, which helps against armour and hard cover.
>>
>>30555092
Nah, gold is waaaaay too soft.
>>
>>30555007
why does this look like a mag release button to me
>>
You can mill your own out of Zinc.
>>
>>30555211
Alloy it with zinc or something and it might work. But yeah, as it standads 100% gold would be dense enough but too soft for good penetration.
>>
>>30555199
>Now if you want cheap and common... steel. A bit more work turning it into bullets though
MIM or metal-polymer-composite.

>and on its own it can be a bit harsh on the rifling.
soft lining around the core to engage the rifling.
>>
>>30555007
Steel bullets with copper plated jackets are common in some countries for military use. Has the advantage of being cheap and having a mild AP effect.
>>
>>30555096
Entirely possible with lead solder. The new lead-free solder is mostly tin though, which is more brittle. 60/40 lead/tin is probably good
>>
>>30555007
you can make bullets out of literally anything.

how effective it is will be debatable (i.e. aluminium is shit).

lead IS cheap and extremely easy to work with and obtain, so if you're thinking of casting bullets, use lead.
>>
>>30556808
Would work. Polycase's Interceptor ARX bullets are polymer plus copper powder like that.
>>
How difficult is it really for a home reloader to add harder but cheaper metals to his lead casting? Just like a steel core to a lead outer casing; ghetto AP rounds but more for the sake of saving costs?
>>
>>30557101
if you have a mold for a bullet with a cavity and cores of the right dimensions you can press fit them. don't bother trying to cast lead around cores.
>>
>>30555175
pretty much this, but obviously wear a respirator and wash your hands so you don't get fucking lead poisoning
>>
>>30555111
Old car battery has enough lead to last you for a good while. If you get acid on your fingers make sure you wipe it off before you start picking boogers, though.
>>
>>30555007
>copper, tin, aluminum
>cheaper than lead
Maybe tin but the other two make me think you're retarded
>>
>>30555007
Really small rocks.
>>
anyone ever make tungsten bullets?
>>
>>30558823
Some AP bullets have tungsten cores but I have no idea what tungsten would do to rifling.
>>
>>30555007
in holland we shoot with uranium,
its verry dense and poisons the victims
>>
>>30558332
see >>30555083
tin is the most expensive by far
aluminum is the "cheepest"
>>
>>30558911
>I have no idea what tungsten would do to rifling
remove it completely
>>
>>30555007
I'll accept diamond tipped platinum bullets. You know, for when you are going somewhere classy.
>>
>>30555111
Steal the guttters off of old houses.
>>
>>30559949
>implying we dont shoot gold

ishnt dat vierd
>>
>>30555007

Lead is cheap af and easily molded--that's why it's been used in ammunition for centuries.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.