[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking to buy first gun.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: funz.png (892 KB, 1572x1286) Image search: [Google]
funz.png
892 KB, 1572x1286
Looking into buying my first gun, don't know if I should get something like an M&P Shield, Mossberg 500, or a full size handgun (also maybe a .380 like a Ruger but I heard the trigger sucks and idk about .380).

I don't have my CCW license so it would be mostly for home defense. But I would kind of like the option to take it with me because all I carry for edc right now is pepper spray. If I were to get a rifle I would probably want like an AK type and I definately wouldn't use that for home defense cuz over-penetration and shit so I think I would look for that later

. My hands aren't that big i'm only 5'9" 150 so I doubt I could conceal a full size if I get my CCW anyways, at least in the summer.

What should I buy? Also should I get it on the internet or try to find one at a store? My budget is like $800 at the most but would like to spend less than that.
>>
File: PPSKirisameProper.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
PPSKirisameProper.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>30541783
Walther PPS.
>>
>>30541797

I love the look of that gun but some anons said that the M&P shield is basically just as good but cheaper. I'm not sure i've only fired a few handguns, A XDS .45 a Taurus pt99 and a Browning .22
>>
>>30541839
The only determining factor you should be looking at when considering the PPS is if you're partial to the paddle mag release over buttons.

It isn't too wise to buy a smaller single stack for your first gun since they're much harder to shoot and learn the fundamentals on compared to a fullsize or compact. I will say that the Shield's grip length is about the same as a Glock 19's with the 8rd extended mag however.
>>
>>30541976

So should I get a full size pistol or a Shotgun for home defense? I would like the semi auto of the pistol but I am not sure how well I can shoot handguns, I've never shot a semi auto rifle either, only a .22. And carbines are just a meme right especially ones in the $800 range?
>>
File: photo.jpg (674 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
674 KB, 1024x768
>>30542011
>So should I get a full size pistol or a Shotgun for home defense?

Depends on what you like. I understand the concern for home defense but don't let it influence too much of your first gun's choice.

I would suggest a handgun over a shotgun for a first gun but that's just me. If you really want a shotgun, go for it. Just remember the number one and absolute must you should have for any firearm dedicated to home defense is a flashlight.

Also watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rGkVcnIuj0

>And carbines are just a meme right especially ones in the $800 range?

What do you mean by carbine?
>>
>>30541783
Theres NO reason to get a shield for home defense.

It's a carry gun.

Carry guns make sacrifices in EVERY metric to be small enough to hide.

Also, the pt-111 g2 is a flat out better gun for less money.
>>
>>30542114
>Also, the pt-111 g2 is a flat out better gun for less money.

Shut up asshole.
>>
>>30542125
Try owning them, cunt.

It's no harder to conceal, has an excellent grip, far cheaper, and has better capacity.
>>
>>30542092

a carbine like 9mm pistol caliber like the semi auto mp5's they have for like $1200 or whatever if they're legal. I don't like the sub2000 it's ugly and so is the hi-point one.

>>30542114
>>30542125

Ok what are some good full sized handguns? The only one I know of are like a glock 19 and the more expensive ones like Baretta m9, and p226, also the M&P9 fullsize and the Walther ones I guess. Someone said the cz-75 is good but I don't know shit about that gun.

Which one of these can I put a flashlight on?
>>
Get a Glock 26
Smaller then full size for easier cc but still holds a decent amount of rounds and it can hold glock 19 and other 9mm glock mags for home defense situations

Not an amazing gun but it does its job right and it's pretty comfy if you have mid sized hands

If glock isn't your thing there's xd, kahr, hk, sig all in that size and price range.
>>
>>30542500
And when I say not amazing I mean it's ugly and basic but still super reliable
>>
>>30542397
oh you mean pistol caliber carbines. For that money, I would buy an ar15. They do have their niche roles to fill but that's another discussion.

>Ok what are some good full sized handguns?

There's just too many fullsize and compacts that are great. Just too many. It's up to you to find what suits your needs. There's things to consider like price, how it fits in your hand and aftermarket. Nearly all fullsize and compact handguns out in the market today have accessory rails. For a light, look at the X300 Ultra for dedicated HD, an XC1 (pic) for conceal carry or the TLR-1 if you can't afford the $200 Surefire commands while still getting a good quality flashlight.

There's an infograph on the sticky for a list of handguns to look at. Do your homework, get out to your nearest gunshop and take a look at guns you did research on and if you can, shoot them. I love my P226 but I'm not going to be an asshole and tell you that you have to spend $700 on one or you're a faggot.

I will say on several websites like Sportsman's Guide, Aimsurplus, and CDNN Sports occasionally get Glock 19/17 and M&P9 trade ins for ridiculous prices such as $350.
>>
>>30541839
>>30542011
For home defense, start off with a mid or full size 9mm, like a Steyr M9, Glock 19/17, M&P, etc. This can double as a fun range gun and a carry gun if you can manage to conceal it.

Next get a dedicated conceal carry, like a PPS or Shield. Rent multiple guns and see what you shoot best.

Third, get a shotgun for home defense if you feel like you want it.
>>
Don't buy a shotgun as a fist gun.
They're fun as heck when it comes to simply destroying things at close range but rifles/pistols are funner for targets. I also found out the hard way that a lot of places don't like you shooting shotguns.

Also another word of advise buying new tends to be a waste of money. A lot of people tend to buy guns put a few hundred rounds through it and the trade/sale them. A few hundred rounds shouldn't cause any issues with any gun worth while and can save you $40-$300 over retail.
>>
>>30542500
>>30542528

Thanks for the responses everyone I am looking now.

>>30542580
>sticky

Shit i never knew there was an infographic there.
>>
>>30542654
>Shit i never knew there was an infographic there.

This is a shame. It's cluttered with so much stupid shit and nothing to the point so it happens.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.