[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking of buying pic related to store some guns of mine. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: Screenshot_2016-07-07-20-18-28.png (98 KB, 480x854) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-07-20-18-28.png
98 KB, 480x854
Thinking of buying pic related to store some guns of mine. I'm a pretty broke 21 year old living at home with 6 funs. However I live with younger siblings and as such they invite their friends over. Just feel weird when there's a party or something at my house and there's just 5 guns under my bed. I know its cheap chink shit but it will stop any curious teenage kid. Anyone own one of these? Advise? Just planning on using this until I move out and get a real safe.
>>
Its $89 by the way
>>
There's nothing wrong with that. You're being a responsible gun owner and most of us can't afford 1k+ safes. Don't let any of these autistic dick bags on here tell you otherwise.
>>
>>30537644
Good idea and great initiative, but this could be accomplished cheaper with trigger locks.
>>
If you need something today and there's a Harbor Freight near you they sell decent-ish gun safes that will hold that many. Not flood proof but what can you expect for what they charge for them?
>>
>>30537644
Itll be fine. A gun cabinet or cheap safe like this is good for keeping out kids.

Just dont think itll hold up to a burglar with a simple crowbar.
>>
I have one of those, it basically will stop casual thieves, but that's better than stopping no thieves.

You can improve things by positioning it so that it's hard to get a crowbar in the front edge of the door. Bolted inside a closet against the edge or something.
>>
It should keep any curious kids from getting at your funs.

>>30537737
>but this could be accomplished cheaper with trigger locks.

It could, but a curious teenage kid could still fuck around with OP's funs if they find them even with a trigger lock on and damage finishes etc.
>>
>>30537769
>>30537737
HF only sells handgun safes by me.
As for the trigger locks I'm not really a fan. Plus the safe doubles as a hide out for guns that my parents don't know I have.. They think I have 2, and don't know I cc. Liberals...
>>
I'd suggest looking for a bigger version.
>Your collection isn't always going to stay at 5-6 guns, is it?
>Gun ratings on cabinets/safes are greatly exaggerated. Most guns effectively take 2 spots.

Trigger locks and the like are ineffective against everyone but toddlers. Most only need a screwdriver to defeat. Action locks work a little better but can easily be defeated by bobby pin.
>>
>>30537797
It would be going in the corner of my closet behind cloths. Pretty good at home improvement bs so I should be able to get it semi hidden.
>>
>>30537831
Well half are handguns and my 12 gauge stays unlocked and hidden in my room. So effectively 2 rifles ATM. Looking into getting one of those shot lock wall mounts just for a little piece of mind.
>>
>>30537644
I have one of those. It fits 8 guns, but I only have old milsurp so I don't know if that applies to modern firearms. The sheet metal is pretty thin, but it will stop people from fucking with your guns.

There's an optional shelf as well if your rifles are all pretty short.
>>
>>30537644
That's what my dad currently keeps his guns in. It's way better than nothing, but you might want to weight it down or bolt it into a stud in the wall. Back in the '90s my dad had an actual safe and some motherfuckers broke into his house and carried the entire damn thing out. To this day I'm sure it was someone I knew since they knew where my dad's guns and my mom's jewelry were and pretty much didn't touch anything else.
>>
>>30537737
>this could be accomplished cheaper with trigger locks.

Trigger lock won't prevent his guns from being stolen.
>>
File: 2 safes better then 1.jpg (620 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
2 safes better then 1.jpg
620 KB, 1632x1224
>>30537644
>Thinking of buying pic related to store some guns of mine.

Smart move, anon.

And when your income and collection grows, don’t buy a stupidly huge and heavy safe, get a smaller vault type and keep your higher end guns in that, with cheeper milsurps in the locker type safe. If (that is, when...) your collection continues growing, buy _another_ smaller vault type safe.

Because the fact is you won’t be living there forever and trying to move a single huge ass gun safe from house to house is a huge pain in the ass.
>>
It'll be fine, but as some have already suggested, think about getting a slightly bigger one because (unless all you own are over/under shotguns) most gun safes will hold fewer guns than what is advertised.
>>
>>30537644
They sell a variant with four shelves for handguns.
>>
>>30538008
that aluminum locker isn't going to prevent that either
>>
>>30537644
Get a larger one. You'll fill that one up quick. You said you're broke, save a little more and get a larger cabinet. Walmart.com has some cheap ones too.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>30537644
I like mine tho it's not as cheap as that one
>>
>>30537644
I have the Tactical Security model (advertised as 16, 14 or 7+2 depending on which shelves you put in. I can barely fit 4 guns in what they advertise as space for 7.

Also, the barrel rests are too high for anything shorter than a full length 20" AR15 (that doesn't even fit stably), and if you have sights on the gun you'll probably need to use a scope standoff for each one.
>>
>>30538085
which model is that?
>>
>>30537644
That's essentially what those types of safes are for. They're not gonna stop someone who wants to break in and steal your shit, but it'll keep prying eyes and little hands off of it.
>>
>>30538089
The barrel rests are foam with adhesive. You can put them wherever.
>>
>>30537644
Dont be cheap on your safe, if its worth buying its worth protecting

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12668279

I got this one for 250$ at the time, its perfect and its not battery powered. Walmart has Sentry and Costco has another but both of those are battery powered. These are the best starting level entry safes. I put a 40 lb weight in the bottom as well as bolt it to the cement under the carpet. DONT BE CHEAP ON YOUR GUN SECURITY, because if you buy that cheap ass cabinent you wont want to upgrade any time soon. I could punch a hole through that cabinet and pick it up and walk away with it. NOT WORTH IT. Look for a 250 dollar safe that preferably has top and side locking bolts and is non battery powered
>>
>>30537831
>Your collection isn't always going to stay at 5-6 guns, is it?

Mine is, and this thing is barely big enough for 3 rifles and a shotgun. Any rifle with a pistol grip and an optic doesn't fit in there setup worth a damn.

Also, the top shelf is something like 3" deep, so keep that in mind as well.
>>
>>30537644
If you have 6 guns, get a 12 gun safe. Pistol grips, optics, etc take up room.
>>
>>30538113
OK, I assumed it would be similar to mine. But does it come with spacers for scopes?
>>
>>30537644
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-48-in-x-24-in-Universal-Storage-Chest-2048-OS/100130283
Cheap and meant to withstand tools. Much more than a locker.
>>
>>30538159
I don't think so.
>>
File: never find it here!.jpg (74 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
never find it here!.jpg
74 KB, 300x225
>>30538059
>that aluminum locker isn't going to prevent that either

Sure it will and it's made from steel, not aluminum.

This is the part where you tell us how you've "hidden" all you guns so no crooks (or little brother's shitbag friends) can find them....
>>
>>30537644
Everybody has at least started out with a simple stack on.

It works, I'd just suggest putting in magnet backed foam barrel rests to customize the length set up for your rifles or build a wooden rack to fit in there as the provided plastic barrel rests are geared toward long bareeled fudd deer hunting rifles and shotguns.

Stack on also makes a "tactical" cabinet that is mostly cosmetic to look more mall ninja but it does allow for two short barreled tactical weapons and still has room for long guns and a shelf for pistols and ammo and parts as a dold general purpose fun safe/locker cabinet for a small gun collection.

If you are young and broke then you probably only have one or two rifles a shotgun and a couple pistols.

Obviously i. The future when you have a more semi permanent place, then you will want a bigger gun safe with fire resistance.

Check out dean safes. Even if you are not local and shipping is too expensive, at least he has a wide selection of stuff for you to study and compare and he does have gun safes and safes geared toward dorms or apartments.
>>
>>30538154
This.

Pistol grips, sights and optics will take up more room. For example the barrel rest rack in my safe has six slots but I can only git two AK's comfortably and I need two empty slots to be space between them.
>>
>>30537644
>However I live with younger siblings and as such they invite their friends over. Just feel weird when there's a party or something at my house and there's just 5 guns under my bed.

Gun locker is plenty adequate, although I got the "14 gun" one on black friday for about the same price.
>>
>>30537644
I have one for my apartment. They are not great for a determined burglarer but they will stop the curious and sticky fingered. Great if you live in a place secure enough that won't make it easy to walk out with your guns. Especially if you're floors above the street.
>>
Might be better off just asking /diy/ how to build a secure box. at $89 its just going to be mild steel riveted together.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.