[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm considring buying either a Karabiner 98k or an Mosin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
So I'm considring buying either a Karabiner 98k or an Mosin Nagant for my first rifle. I live in Norway. Which gun would you reccommend for a newbie?
>>
>>30536940
buy whichever has better ammo availability
or just get the kar
mosins are only popular cause people are poor and they are cheap.
>>
>>30536940
Isn't 54R extremely common in your area? Can you a finnish example?
Americans probably aren't the best resource for you since we only know our supply situation.

If mauser and 54r aren't too different price wise I'd think a mauser would be a better first rifle. It's a much more solid design.
>>
>>30536940
The Mauser will possibly cost more but is a FAR nicer gun to shoot and handle.
>>
>>30536955
I'm strongly considering the kar. They're the same price here and I don't think there was ever made corrosive ammo for them, so the barrel will be in good condition. The mosins on the other hand..
>>
>>30536940

The only reason to buy a Mosin is they're cheap as hell.

Get the Mauser.
>>
>>30536994

They made corrosive 8mm, in fact most, if not all surplus 8mm is corrosive. Just depends on how well the gun was kept clean, which if you're not stupid isn't hard.
>>
>>30536994
>kar and mosin same price
Good god, are mosins stupid expensive or kars stupid cheap in Norway?

If it's the latter, get a few for a burgerbro please nuggets are like $200 here and Kar98ks are like $1100
>>
>>30537009
How easy is it to get a scope for the mauser? I sure as hell wouldn't mind an original Zielacht, but modern variants are fine as well
>>
>>30537033
The kars are around 300 usd here... I think the Norwegian army had a huge surplus of them.
>>
>>30536940
Neither, but you're probably not gonna be deterred.

A Mosin will be cheaper and have better sights, plus will be easier to take apart for cleaning. A Mauser will probably have a better trigger and be a bit more accurate (both are 2-4 moa rifles though).

What are you looking to do with this rifle? What is the appeal of these over a new Savage or Remington?
>>
>>30537040

not sure how it is in Europe, but you can get side mounts here in the states. or, if you don't mind drilling into a historical artifact could probably get a modern mount installed.
>>
>>30537063
>mosin has better sights

leave
>>
>>30537063
They will be used for plinking and eventually hunting. My main concern is cost. They are really cheap around here.
>>
>>30537068
Truth hurts pal. Mosins, or rather the 91/30 and models based on that, have better sights than the V-notch and blade sights of Mauser rifles.
>>
>>30537094
Literally shoot both of them sometime.
>>
>>30536994
>I don't think there was ever made corrosive ammo for them
For 7.92x57mm? A shitload, son.

Just make sure you know what you're shooting and clean the gun afterwards if necessary.
>>
>>30537083
Neither is really ideal for hunting, mostly because of weight and the lack of peep sights. So I wouldn't recommend that.

But as you're probably not gonna listen to that, go with a Mosin carbine if you can find one cheaply. If you can't, go with the Mauser. Ammo costs are probably gonna be similar for you
>>
>>30537108
I could just ask my neighbour about that someday I see him. He took me hunting when I was younger and I believe he has a k98k. I strongly remember the stock having a swastika on it.
>>
>>30537100
Na, I'll shoot my superior Mas 36 instead.

Teutonaboos can't take the heat.
>>
>>30537100
hes got a point that mosin sights are slighlty easier to use than kar sights but hes exaggerating the hell out of it. everything else on the mosin is inferior. nothings stopping you from taking 2 passes with a file to "fix" kar sights either
>>
>>30537143
Iron sights don't really matter that much as I will want a scope for it.
>>
It appears that some of the surplus rifles that were left here in Norway aftee WWII were converted to 30-06. I know very little about this calibre. Is it better or worse than the original
>>
>>30537168
buy a modern gun then. attaching a scope to milsurp usually requires permanent modification and usually isnt worth the cost or effort.
>>
>>30537274
The original scopes and mounts are not that expensive.
>>
>>30537241
It's more or less the american equivalent of 8mm Mauser or 7.52x54r. There are more commercial derivatives available usually.
>>
>>30537285
ww2 scopes are shit compared to modern ones
even the cheapest walmart scope is better unless you really want to relive history
>>
>>30537315
Thank you for your eloquent answer
>>
>>30537285
You'll still likely have to drill into your rifle to attach the mount. Unless you can find a sniper-variant service rifles from the period rarely accept scope mounts without permanent modification (drilling/tapping the receiver)
>>
>>30537351
I guess this is like swearing in church, but there were many k98k's made. Doesn't matter if I drill into it
>>
File: 32_558923283.jpg (404 KB, 1600x901) Image search: [Google]
32_558923283.jpg
404 KB, 1600x901
I'll most likely go for pic related.
>>
>>30537388
its not just a purist thing its that the gun really wont live up to whatever retarded expectations you have of it. its milsurp chances are the barrel is in mediocre to shit condition anyways. they really werent designed for optics so after you spend what the gun cost on a mount you end up with a hilariously high scope over bore. then theres the fact most of these guns loaded from the top with strippers and your new scope makes the gun awkward as fuck to use or you modded the fuck out of it to compensate.
meanwhile the guy who bought a modern gun got something cheaper that performs better and is easier to use
>>
>>30537470
You're gonna be spending a good bit more to do this than to just buy a Savage 110.
>>
>>30537488
It's 300 usd with a scope mounted here. If I want a new one I'll have to cash out atleast 1000 usd for a rifle alone.
>>
>>30537503
I will be buying that exact rifle for 300 usd...
>>
>>30537536
Still a bad idea?
>>
>>30537589
depends on what you want it for, overall condition its in,and if the previous owner fucked it up or did it competently.
in murrica it would be worth more than 300 parted out.
if you just wanted a blaster it would be fine
>>
>>30537628
Haha so what you are saying is that I could become a rich man if I were to start exporting k98k's to murica? I'll have to look into export laws
>>
>>30537660
hahaha no if it was that easy 3rdworld shitholes with aks galore would be rich as fuck
>>
>>30537703
Isn't there a ban on imports of automatic guns in the us? I'm not familiar with your laws
>>
>>30537715
yes but importing anything legally is a expensive process
>>
>>30536940
Buy a Kar 98. Of all the milsurps I own the Nagant is by far the shittiest.
>>
>>30536940
Kjop mauser. Koster ca. 1000 kr og ammo er lett å få tak i ;)
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.