[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Problems with new 9mm M&P Shield
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: MP.jpg (18 KB, 752x813) Image search: [Google]
MP.jpg
18 KB, 752x813
First time shooting my Shield and I've had two problems I'd like advice on. The face pin on the guide rod blew off, how much concern should this raise and what can be done? Also, with the seven round mag, the last round can barely fit into the mag and the following round (sixth) wont cycle with a full magazine. This doesn't inspire faith in reliability. Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
I've run about 2 - 2.5k rounds thru my Shield with no issues at all. In regards to the guide rod pin, I'd contact S&W for a new guide rod entirely. As for the magazine, the tension remains the same and the 7th round barely fits. Never heard/experienced any issues with cycling.

Are you saying you run 7+1 and the first round that comes from the magazine is giving you problems?
>>
I run seven rounds with an empty chamber (not seven +1) and the mag will barelyyyy seat in the mag well. I have to seriously muscle the mag in then upon firing it wont cycle to the following round. If I put six rounds, one less than capacity, it works perfectly fine. Also, with the seven round mag, it seems to actually expand the sides of the magazine so that if I want to remove a full mag, gravity wont drop it, I have to physically pull it out with some force. It doesnt do that with an empty mag.
>>
I would send it back to S&W or the retailer for an exchange if you feel uncomfortable.

I personally run 7+1 and although it is very hard to seat the mag at times, it cycles perfectly. With a full magazine, when I press the magazine release, the mag actually flies out with some force. No force has been needed to remove the magazine at any point in time.

Other than the guide rod issue, it seems like your problems stem from the magazine. If I were you I would purchase an additional magazine or two, see if the problem still exists, and reassess. If still having problems, I would contact S&W asap.
>>
I'll also check on my Shield now to see if that guide rod pin is loose.

I'll report back for you Anon.
>>
Thank you, senpai. I called the shop I bought it from, Turners in California, they said they dont take any returns or exchanges so it looks like I'll have to send it back to S&W then always look at my Shield with some suspect reservations.
>>
File: IMG_20160707_1859081.jpg (2 MB, 3672x4896) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160707_1859081.jpg
2 MB, 3672x4896
Fellow someguns,

I've attached a photo of my guide rod, it looks like ours are of different design. Mine isn't a cap and rides within the guide rod and spring assembly.

Hit up S&W and get this problem resolved. Forget Turners and go straight to the manufacturer. If S&W wants to even come close to the tier of Glock and SIG, they can't let shit like this happen. They'll make it right.

Research the different types of guide rods designs in the Shield. I don't know enough about the design differences to offer any advice. From the photo it looks nonessential for your particular gun so maybe an email to S&W get a new one to your doorstep.

Get new magazines (from somewhere without an autistic return policy) and see if that solves your cycling issue. I'll bet it does.

Sorry for the Hi-Power tier photo quality. I couldn't get it to focus and I really needed to take a shit.

I'll be on for a bit, let me know if there is any other questions.
>>
File: MP2.jpg (34 KB, 1084x813) Image search: [Google]
MP2.jpg
34 KB, 1084x813
Here is mine. I think it is the same guide rod, but with mine the actual cap just blew off. I'm getting a hold of S&W. Gun guys like us talk that all these modern pistols are on the same quality par, but I really dont think Glock would put out a lemon like this.

May kek bless you with a pleasant bowel movement.
>>
>>30537123

Glocks also have the ergonomics of a 2x4.
>>
>>30537307
A fine point and why I bought this lemon Shield.
>>
>>30537123
apparently you haven't tried a gen 4
>>
I have 5000rnd+ put through my shield. Works better dirty, never had any mag issues but I run a 8 round mag.
Guide rod secure. And only issues are I get rust in the mag release, where it wicks moisture
>>
>>30537441
Apparently you are not familiar with California gun laws.
>>
Shieldmang back at it again,

After further review of my guide rod statement, the ruling on the play is reversed. It does seem like we have the same guide rod.

My bad.

Here's what I think happened. When the slide is moved to the rear (manually or by recoil), there is a little bit of play in the guide rod. I think that movement caused the front of the slide to hit that cap with a good amount of force, as it moves back into battery. Difficult to explain in words but easy to imagine if you can see that guide rod bend a little bit in person and imagine the slide pushing it off. I think a little bit of JB weld would go a long way in fixing that issue. Sorry that this had to happen on a new firearm though. Good luck with your exchange. May the Gods of /k/ grant you many blessings in your endeavors.

Thank you for your bowel movement blessings.

Shieldmang out.
>>
>>30537464
sheeeeit CA? curious how shipping a gun for repairs works for you guys - is it a hassle?
>>
Fully loaded shield mags are hard to seat with the slide closed. They are also pretty stiff when new. Leave the 7 rounder fully loaded for a bit to loosen the spring up a little. Contact S&W about the guide rod issue and ask about the mag while you've got them on the phone.
>>
>>30537478
Thank you, sir. Youre a saint.
>>
>>30537485
I returned a Taurus revolver once. It was pretty seamless, I just mailed it back, but I probably broke 751271275 laws in the process.
>>
>>30536498
I read the Manuel recently (getting my shield on Saturday) and apparently they recommend seating the magazine while the slide is locked back.
>>
>>30537485
its not you go to ups say hey ive got a gun in this box im mailing it back to the factory. they ask is it loaded? you say no. they take the box and ship it. 2-4 weeks later your gun comes back in the mail.

now if they decide its fucked and replace it with a different gun its a huge hassle involving a ffl
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.