[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modern "Men"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11
File: maxresdefault.jpg (56 KB, 1440x835) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
56 KB, 1440x835
I know a lot of you guys own military surplus, some of you may also use these items for hiking and other outdoor stuff.

But then again with have this specimen here.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/goruck-light-with-a-pack-field-combat-m-1945/

Guy did a GoRuck light (sic) with an M-1945 combat pack (the successor to the M1928 haversack and M1936 musette in the Army) and here's the problem with modern day men:

>Today we have lightweight water-resistant materials, carefully designed suspension systems, padded supports, and so on

>In 1945, the technology was all-canvas construction, no padding, and a waist belt whose sole job was to hang more weight on – not to help support the pack.

>pack may be heavy and uncomfortable, but it isn’t very voluminous

>water-absorbent canvas construction, complete lack of padding,lack of hip support.

Cry me a river

>Once I started sweating, the back wall soaked it all up, and by the end of the evening left my lower back thoroughly shredded from rubbing.

Poor boy

>f we had been forced to get into water, it would have soaked up plenty of addition weight, and remained wet and heavy for hours (in fact, the back panel of the pack is still damp with sweat as I write this the morning after…ewww)

Eeew, water and sweat, smells, makes the pack heavy and is bad for your skin.
His wailing goes on and on and in the end he even managed to break one of the pack buckles.

You see, what I want to say with this thread: Most modern men - although they may be /fit/ as fuck - are reall pussies when it comes to austere situations

Pack is heavy - blah - skin itches - blah

I mean, I got the pack myself and I use it pretty much every single sunday for hiking and I never felt that it was outdated or even heavy. I also never missed cushion or a hip belt.

I'm 35 and is it possible, that I just grew up in a different way where ppl in general didnt bitch that much?

What are your experiences with surplus equipment inna woods?
>>
File: 1466354052165.png (92 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1466354052165.png
92 KB, 512x512
>>30531638
Wow you're such a manly man, thanks for sharing! I can honestly say my life is 10,000x better after having read this. Would you life to fuck my wife,you modern day Adonis?
>>
File: 1467769014016.jpg (36 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
1467769014016.jpg
36 KB, 640x359
What a lazy feg
>>
>>30531638
>wrong generation fags
>>
>>30531638
>its a "pissy youngfag shitposts about even youngerfags" episode
>>
Okay you toughed it out whatever. There is no fucking way you're gonna tell me that the newer packs are not objectively superior. Having done serious hiking in the infantry with the ALICE, ILBE (old woodland one) and the new ILBE main pack I can tell you the fucking new ILBE is waaaaay better than the previous ones.
>>
Have you used better gear? For absolutely everything in life, using better gear once or twice will make you unsatisfied with the old gear. Drive a great car, listen to some expensive headphones, shoot a really comfortable gun. It taints your vision.
>>
>>30531682
I use a FILBE assault pack for everything feom hunting to gold prospecting it's great.
>>
File: 1465881790667.jpg (58 KB, 640x451) Image search: [Google]
1465881790667.jpg
58 KB, 640x451
I'd bet good money that any vet prior to the Gulf war would kill someone for a modern backpack. They toughed it out because there was literally nothing better and it wasn't their choice even if there was.

I bet any WW1 or Vietnam vet would do the same for modern quick dry and waterproof fabrics.
>>
File: 1460804840113.png (79 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1460804840113.png
79 KB, 500x500
>>30531638
>I mean, I got the pack myself and I use it pretty much every single sunday for hiking and I never felt that it was outdated or even heavy. I also never missed cushion or a hip belt.
>doing a three mile hike once a week while carrying maybe 15 pounds of shit is the same as doing a 20 mile march every day for three months with 40 pounds of gear in the pack alone along with another 30 of other random bullshit strapped to you
>>
>>30531638
Tell us some stories from the civil war when men were men grandpa.
>>
>>30531682
OP here. In fact I got a "modern" pack - TT Mission Pack - and I used both with full weight on different tours, different terrain. And aside from the bigger size of the TT, I really cannot see a difference in comfort of carrying

In fact, I even like the M1945 a little better because its softer and sits much higher on my back. I got a fleece jacket inside so I got cushion too.

>>30531692
I know what you mean and sometimes I'm one of those guys too. But when it comes to the giant field of what I would call "hiking equipment / military surplus equipment" I got the feeling that in about 8 of 10 cases I tend to like the old stuff better.

>>30531662 Sorry bro, married myself
>>
>>30531721
> They toughed it out

Thats what youngfags all say - but by implication they also prove (without knowing it) that modern people are bigger pussies than those back in the days - exactly what the OP said.
>>
>>30531770
>- but by implication they also prove (without knowing it) that modern people are bigger pussies than those back in the days
No it doesn't. It's the fucking military, you do as you're told or you get shot and left in a ditch or if you're lucky, spend 30 years at Ft. Leavenworth. So if they tell you to hike 20 miles with a shit pack, you're going to do it. That's regardless of era and if you think they didn't bitch about their equipment in the forties, just like people bitched about it in the tens, just like bitched about it in the 1860's, just like they bitched about it in the 1770's, etc, etc, etc then you're a fucking fool and you need to educate yourself a bit more on the topic.Every soldier from every army since the dawn of time has bitched about their equipment being heavy or uncomfortable. Just like every one has bitched about their command, or the food, or the pay, or the living conditions.
>>
>>30531742
Not OP but

Nigga, I did a Goruck tough challenge with a M1936 musette pack (converted to be used as a regular backpack without the suspenders and belt) and I didnt have a fucking problem.

You guys are just giant pansies

/k/ loves to shit on the military just to turn around and use them as example.
>>
File: musette.jpg (431 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
musette.jpg
431 KB, 2048x1536
>>30531638
i love the M1936 musette bag.
but not as a backpack.
>>
>>30531794
I got the slight feeling you didnt understand what I said

Old equipment was perhaps more uncomfortable. But people needed to adapt - they toughed it out

Modern equipment is more comfortable so people dont have to adapt that much. They dont have to tough it out so they get softer.

Is that so hard to understand?
>>
This is a dumb thread.

"HURR DURR MODERN MEN ARE PANSIES BECAUSE THEY DON'T USE SHITTY BACK-DESTROYING EQUIPMENT LIKE GRANDPA"
>>
>>30531800
I got a chink one from atthefront. Use it every day as some sort of manpurse to haul my shit to work. Sammiches, cigs, phone. Best pack I ever had
>>
>>30531805
I'll bet if you had to do a 15 mile ruck in hobnailed, leather soled boots with flat insoles you'd be a bitch about it too.
>>
>>30531805
>They dont have to tough it out so they get softer.
There is no softer and there is no tougher, there's only "my back hurts a lot more after my 15 years as a combat grunt than his does". Being more exhausted after a march and having a back rubbed raw by wet cotton does not make you tougher, it just makes you a worse soldier the next morning.
>>
>>30531805
There are plenty of discomforts still remaining in the military, and plenty of new ones the oldguard didn't have to deal with, you shouldn't worry about it so hard if that's what you're focused on.

That said, heavy canvas milsurp is great.
>>
>>30531795
couldn't find an image, ran out of motivation. Your last bit of words, sentence, its appreciated.
>>
>>30531805
"wwwwaaaaaaahhhh our guys who win wars and kick everyone else's ass get nice equipment and decent gear to help them actually kick ass! we should give them worse stuff so the russians don't think we're weak. i love gargling semen!"
>>
>>30531662
^
>>
>>30531682
Ossie web gear + assault packs feel pretty good
>>
File: 1439770028260.jpg (80 KB, 640x432) Image search: [Google]
1439770028260.jpg
80 KB, 640x432
>>30531638
Sure you can push through pain.
Sure you can make do with heavier gear.

But if your not in pain, your going to be able to push yourself faster, go further. Lighter gear means you can pack more of it, or be lighter, and can go faster.

You like that old shit because your poor, and you hate people who saved a few bucks and bought better gear than you.
>>
>>30531677
>>30531679
These.

FFS, if we brought someone from 400 years ago back to life they'd bitch about how they had a horse (if anything) and newfags ride around in armored vehicles, or vehicles at all really.
>>
>>30531893
Not in actual combat youmong
>>
>>30531638
>I am going to eschew modern technologies such as weight saving, stronger materials, and water resistance combined with comfort for something without those simply because I am "manly".
>>
>>30533508
Whats wring with that?
>>
>>30535486
>I'm going to put a rock in my shoe and walk around like this.
>Everybody who doesn't put a rock in their shoe is a wuss.
>>
>>30535486
It's stupid for one.
>>
>>30531638
>What are your experiences with surplus equipment inna woods?
heh nice try. i don't even leave my house except to go to the range and gym. dem online grad classes this summer my nigga.
>>
>>30531662
This.
OP, I bet you're the kind of loser who says we need another world war or thinks he'd remain completely level headed in any situation.
>>
>>30531638
>I'm 35 and is it possible, that I just grew up in a different way where ppl in general didnt bitch that much?
Quite possibly. I'm 32 and I think this guy is just a whiny bitch.
>>
>>30535486
Because manliness has nothing to do with the quality of your gear.

You can be manly with an Arcteryx coat. You can also be manly with a surplus M65 field jacket. The manliness does not make the coat or the jacket better than the other. The materials and design do.
>>
File: 2483480160_2b41a372a8_b.jpg (297 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2483480160_2b41a372a8_b.jpg
297 KB, 1024x768
>>30531638
>We shouldn't improve shit because it ain't manly
All I got from you post m8

Go fuck yourself though, efficiency buy us luxuries.
>>
File: 1360803017.jpg (83 KB, 771x458) Image search: [Google]
1360803017.jpg
83 KB, 771x458
>>30531638

I think it has a lot to do with how comfortable people are now day to day. Then they watch movies or play video games and the simple shit seems easy, like hopping over a low wall or getting into a window, fuck even low crawling seems super easy all while wearing and having full combat load/helmet/plate carrier etc.

I would bet most people have that warped sense of how easy stuff is, for example people who think they can go out and run an 8 minute mile or even do 40 unbroken push ups easily when they haven't done anything really physical since their required High School PE class.

Its just my perspective from the military side.
>>
>>30531662
FPBP
>>
>>30531682
Your totally right man. I always see this with guys who are like "look how old school I am". Alice packs are fucking garbage, honestly bergens is a better choice than the ilbe, but they are still shit material. I don't even like fucking mystery ranch shit, give me an osprey or a Deuter any day, the newer the better, obviously.
>>
File: FatFucksRuck.jpg (120 KB, 888x666) Image search: [Google]
FatFucksRuck.jpg
120 KB, 888x666
>>30536189
>>30531682

We have tactical tailor Malice packs and they're alright, frame doesn't break like the molle shit, except when you're CO decides to jettison his equipment instead of lower it.
>>
File: osprey ascendant.jpg (692 KB, 1328x747) Image search: [Google]
osprey ascendant.jpg
692 KB, 1328x747
>>30536537
I hear ya, i've got the LBT version, never used it though. That's pretty much all I use my kifaru for.

>CO jettisons equipment.
I hope he had a down winder. What an asshole.

ITT; Osprey master race.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.