[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you make a sword so sharp it can cut atoms? Or, at best,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 864476.jpg (2 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
864476.jpg
2 MB, 4288x2848
Can you make a sword so sharp it can cut atoms?

Or, at best, can you theoretically make a sword that can smash them?

What about sticking a katana into the hardron collider?

I once asked /sci/ if I was superhuman, could I stomp so hard on a pile of shit it turned into diamonds and the answer was "Yes, but everyone around for miles will notice"
>>
>>30527421
>Or, at best, can you theoretically make a sword that can smash them?

Can you make a person that can smash them?
>>
>>30527421
>"Yes, but everyone around for miles will notice"

Same concept here, I believe
>>
>>30527421

No.

For a blade to be able to cut an atom, its edge would have to be smaller than one atom. The only metal I know of that can be hammered to 1 atom thick is gold, which doesn't really hold an edge at all. If you look at the sharpest steel blade under an electron microscope, it looks like a flat wall of atoms. The same goes for obsidian, though that is a slightly smaller flat wall of atoms.
>>
There was one, but it's long gone now.

It was aboard the Titanic but it was jostled during transport when it accidentally scratched the inside of the cargo bay, slicing the boat open from the inside.
>>
>>30527467

Humans have pretty much already turned shit into diamonds.

>>30527504

So its like breaking the sound barrier?

I cut one atom in two with a katana and there's an explosion?

I don't think so. Atoms are so small its possible every breath you you take has a molecule from Caesar's last breath.
>>
>>30527421
Yes.
>Have you heard of heard of Hatori Hanzo?
>>
>>30527527

OP here. "Cutting" and "smashing" are dubious ways to describe atomic interaction.

That said, I could cut you to peices with a brick wall. Doesn't mean its sharp. It just means other forces act as the knife.
>>
>>30527615

They were the terms your used. If you didn't wish to be interpreted that way, you should have used different words.
>>
>>30527689

No I could not without making my original post much longer.

I tried to keep it short
>>
>>30527971
no one fucking cares
>>
>>30527566

yes, idiot, breaking an atomic bond releases energy. It's how nukes work. And you're not gonna hit just one atom hanging around in a vacuum, unless you want to redefine what counts as a sword until your left with an particle accelerator. You're slamming a three pound object into another object with enough force to overcome the strong nuclear force. It's gonna be loud.
>>
>>30527421
No.

Anime lied to you.
>>
Yes, you can cut an atom with a sword. It is a technique known as the Pankratosword. Its use is forbidden, however.
>>
>>30527421
No. You would need to generate too many factors for something as big as a sword to slice atoms. Also, why does it have to be a katana? Why not a much stronger sword like a claymore or gladius?
>>
File: 1464474362108.jpg (57 KB, 332x437) Image search: [Google]
1464474362108.jpg
57 KB, 332x437
>>30528215
>Why not a much stronger sword like a claymore or gladius?

I wish every sword related thread wouldn't turn into a westaboo/weeaboo pissing contest.
>>
File: Neutron_Blade_Hero.png (1 KB, 52x62) Image search: [Google]
Neutron_Blade_Hero.png
1 KB, 52x62
>>30527421

Yes.
Secret of Evermore had one.

The Nuetron Blade
>>
>>30528215
Swordfighter here

Claymore and gladuis are both pure shit general purpose swords. Gladius is too short and has no guard. It wasn't a primary weapon for the Romans, it was a secondary/last resort weapon, and it was intended to be used exclusively with a shield.
And a claymore had a specific purpose, taking down cavalry and breaking pike lines
>>
>>30527421
I'm guessing you're trolling but for the record
Obsidian is extremely sharp like down to an atoms length at sharpest point, but cannot "cut atoms"
> we both have autism for posting/responding
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.