[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying "Good" gear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (134 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134 KB, 1920x1080
What's your take on buying high quality gearb whether it be accessories or guns that are more expensive compared to the alternatives for your first time? Have an example of buying a Legion P229 for your first Sig or a Pro Tek for a fist CZ.

Looking at buying my first sling and I know about affordable slings such as the blueforce vcas, proctor sling and vtac yet I feel the desire to buy the hsp d3 that goes for $90. The price for the d3 is considerably more expensive though I feel like I will just buy it eventually even if I do get the cheaper sling first.

tl;dr, is it better to buy cheaper yet good quality equipment then higher quality counterparts afterwards to have a better appreciation and understanding of the higher quality product?
>>
File: 13241324312.jpg (591 KB, 1452x1089) Image search: [Google]
13241324312.jpg
591 KB, 1452x1089
>>30524142
Your question is a bit convoluted, but I'll try.

>is it better to buy cheaper yet good quality equipment then higher quality counterparts afterwards
The answer is not necessarily. Some gear queers pride themselves on acquiring the most expensive shit like Dead Bird, Noveske, Outdoor Research, etc. However, the majority of people seem to just spend outrageous money on what they like. I have a mismatched array of gear. Some of it is very high dollar, such as my OR gloves, but some of it is relatively inexpensive like my Banshee RPC. Everyone finds what they value after owning something that they think could be improved. "Improvement" doesn't necessarily mean more expensive. I sold my HS Flatpack and replaced it with something cheaper because I liked the features more. People in /ARG/ are likely to spend a lot of money on their AR, but maybe not on gear. The inverse is likely in /GQ/ threads. Everyone is a sucker for something, but more expensive is not always necessary or even better.

With that being said, I can give you one piece of advice. DO NOT waste money on very cheap goods that you need to function for your own safety. Rifle receivers, plate carriers, optics, and weapon lights all have cheap alternatives to very high priced stuff, but the very cheap, airsoft shit is garbage. You will end up replacing a Condor plate carrier with something better so it's a waste to spend money on it in the meantime.
>>
>>30524634
what the hell is dead bird?
>>
>>30524821
Arc'terx
>>
The issue isn't buying the most expensive option, it's buy the right thing you need the first time.

Too many poorfags realize "I want a rifle. Probably an ak, it'll shoot big bullets and be ultra reliable and I can show everybody my banana clips" and then start working their way downward solely on price and end up at a 10/22 or nugget.

If you want a plate carrier, get the one that most closely matches what you're looking for in a carrier. Then buy that carrier, instead of taking that price tag and only look at options that are cheaper. This is bad. This is like going grocery shopping because you're hungry and walking out with crisco and peanuts.

For me, my pants are $200 crye because they were the ones I needed. My jacket is a $18 airshit jacket because that's the right one for me, suiting me better than more expensive shit.

Tl;dr if you already know what you want don't buy something else
>>
As a milfag I spend a lot of nights sleeping on the decision to buy certain things, and I definitely save up for weeks or months depending on the price of the item I'm looking for.

For a sling, I shopped around a lot and ended up settling on a Vickers combat action sling like one of my squad leaders has. I looked at a lot of slings and prices, and while it might not be as cheap as a standard issue $12 sling, it is worth the $40 for a reliable sling so many people swear by. It also wasn't the most expensive, and it wasn't overrated or underrated, it was actually 100% product satisfaction. The company that shipped the product also gave me a bunch of stickers, pens, and cookies along with a thank you card since I was deployed.

For earpro, I think I've been saving up and shopping for about 3 months now. I've been looking primarily at MSA Sordins but the $300 pricetag kinda hurts my feels when Peltor 6s is only $100. But I also think, Okay, I'm the radio operator and the Peltors can't offer the aux connector like the Sordins can. The sordins are actually advertised for military and many SF guys I work with use them.

For this deployment I wanted a knife so fucking bad, for no apparent reason. I'm settled on an ESEE 5 but I figured sleep on it for a while, see if I really need the damn thing. So far I haven't touched a knife not once and the only reason people carry them is to look cool and etch cusswords into the wooden desks and benches in the towers.

So while it might suck to buy the more expensive gear, it is worth it sometimes. Buy once cry once. If it's just a bad idea to buy something then sleep on it for a long ass time before making the big purchase.

From my perspective unless your job requires it or it's a good idea, no civilian NEEDS a plate carrier, helmet, elbow / knee pads, etc.

I'm all for buying expensive guns but only when you've got a good amount of money and no remorse.
>>
>>30524634
It is convoluted, I agree. Though I NEVER buy shit guns or gear. The most I cheaped out on is a pa micro and that's it. No condor or ar500 if I ever decide on getting plates

I was just wondering if it would be ridiculous to spend $90 on my first sling but I have a feeling I won't like the vickers over it
>>
I think there's a big difference between good and function. If you want that extra stuff it's fine, but don't act like you're getting anymore of a functional gun with that p229 legion vs a police trade in one. That being said quality is what you should always look for, a lot of things are marked up for pure marketing reasons.
>>
>>30526025
>I was just wondering if it would be ridiculous to spend $90 on my first sling but I have a feeling I won't like the vickers over it
Buy what you think you'll like. If you don't you'll probably just end up buying another one in the end.
>>
>>30524142
Distributes get that sling for $70. Hardly any markup.
Its a nicer version of the Magpul MS4. Way nicer padding, and they pay their employees really well.
Is it worth it? I didn't buy it. But thats just me.
>>
When it comes to gear everything is a mixed bag. I've owned products made by first spear that I thought were total garbage and musty milsurp gear that cost me <$20 and think is some of the best kit out there.
Don't read this as me reccomending condor/voodoo tac/rothco shit though

However in my opinion and barring silly guns like .22s every NEW(not milsurp) gun you buy should be either top of the line if meant for self defence or competition or heirloom quality if meant for anything else.
The reason being that you will rarely regret spending a lot on a gun you love for a lifetime that your grandchildren will enjoy as well and if you do you probably won't lose more than % 25 of the value reselling it and you may even make money doing so.
>>
>>30527438
On second thought top of the line is poor phrasing. I'm just saying don't buy a maverick 88 now when you don't need a gun now for self defence and could rrasonably save up for a mossberg 590.
>>
>>30524142
i buy the cheapest shit that will get the job done
>>
>>30524142

with a big ticket item like an actual gun, the point of buying higher end/more expensive guns the first time is that you have no plans for ever buying it again.

with smaller, less important items like a sling, that rule still applies, but spending $90 on a sling instead of $30 is a little bit different than spending $2400 on a rifle instead of $800

If you feel that you are eventually going to get the higher dollar item eventually, there's no real point in buying the cheaper gear, unless you just need a stopgap until the more expensive one is in your budget.

>>30525826
>>30525917

sound advice.

I think the problem with the "Want an AK, buy a nugget/22 because it's cheaper" is, it's still not an AK. My AK is a toy, basically, and I'm just fine owning the Zastava N-Pap I got and not a nicer Arsenal/Saiga AK, though I sometimes feel as though I should have gotten an SLR107 or an actual M70B instead of the NPAP which is kind of a pseudo M70. I'm not really planning on getting rid of it, I guess.
>>
>>30527727
This is exactly why I got a 590A1 instead of a 500

Parkerized heavy barrel is more corrosion resistant than blued and makes one hell of a club. Metal trigger group would have replaced the plastic if it broke, so I may as well pay less for it as part of a package right up front.
>>
TAC-Tailor or gtfo.
>>
>>30527519
>buy maverick for $150 on armslist
>has never malfunctioned in 5 years
>everything on it is stock
>buy longer barrel for $50
>literally a cheap 500 that works the same without the added $200
and you can fuck right off, faggot
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.