[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a 16" AR too long for home defense? How about for a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: v11_l.jpg (271 KB, 2000x800) Image search: [Google]
v11_l.jpg
271 KB, 2000x800
Is a 16" AR too long for home defense?

How about for a woman?

32" with the stock collapsed doesn't seem all that long, and they make 'em light too.
>>
>>30524054
Get a pistol ar with the kak blade brace
>>
>>30524054
No, it's shorter than most "home defense" shotguns.
>>
>>30524078
This
But if I lived in a small apartment, I'd stick with a handgun
>>
if you hold a pistol in front of you in a normal stance it will stick out farther than a 20" AR unless you are an ubermanlet
>>
File: Home-Defense-Rifle-1080x648[1].jpg (116 KB, 1080x648) Image search: [Google]
Home-Defense-Rifle-1080x648[1].jpg
116 KB, 1080x648
>>30524054
>Is a 16" AR too long for home defense?
No.
>How about for a woman?
No.
>>
guy used a 20mm once for home defense, it all comes down to what you have and if the shot presents itself.
>>
>>30524092
Yes, but a pistol still functions when not held at arms length, an AR doesn't function when no longer pointed at bad guy.

The problem with this whole scenario is the question of length, it doesn't particularly matter the barrel length, what's important is caliber, capacity, and ability for accurate and swift follow up shots.
>>
>>30524107
Is that a 16"?
>>
>>30524122
18"
>>
>>30524133
I knew it!

Thanks for that pic, perfect illustration.
>>
File: image.jpg (297 KB, 1904x1086) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
297 KB, 1904x1086
>>30524116
>>
>>30524054
>not in based DD proprietary cerakote colors

Black rifles a shit.
>>
>>30524260
I wish my dd m4v1 LW came in that grey. Think it looks sharp as hell
>>
>>30524054
>Is a 16" AR too long for home defense?
>How about for a woman?
Women aren't "too long" for home defense, but most are useless for this purpose in general.
Source: my wife was a drill instructor at Paris Island, but still needs me to kill the scarier bugs around the house.
>>
>>30524372
>derp ur funy
>>
>>30524054
Nope. I have a 14.5" one w/ permanent flash hider just because it's that extra .5" shorter or whatever (16.1" vs 16.7" I think?), but that's mostly just to keep weight down. It's my primary HD gun and as autistic as it may seem I have done drills in my apartment to make sure it's maneuverable.

A shouldered carbine sticks out from the shooter about as far as (or less than) a handgun with arms extended. You can fire from retention with a handgun, which is an option you don't have with the AR, but being able to have two hands an a shoulder on your HD gun offers you a lot of stability, especially in a high-stress situation. Plus ballistics, plus capacity, plus relative ease of shot placement.

You may want to have both options available though. If I had kids, I would switch to a handgun setup, because I would want one arm free to grab them and pull them to safety. You also ideally want to be on the phone with 911 so maybe that's worth having a one-handed firearm for you.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.