[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the 12 g recommended for bear defense when slugs have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: 10200280.jpg (7 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
10200280.jpg
7 KB, 500x500
Why is the 12 g recommended for bear defense when slugs have such terrible accuracy and trajectory? I would rather use a scoped rifle even if it was chambered for something low powered like 308.
>>
>>30523282
If you manage to miss a bear then just lay down and get eaten.
>>
Because you don't typically defend yourself from bears 200 yds away.
>>
>>30523296
I doubt any of us here can be accurate with a slug at a moving target 30 to 50 meters down. With a zeroed scoped rifle, it would be quite different. A freaking sks would be better for bear defense than a 12 g imo.
>>
>>30523321
Fortunately a target moving towards you is effectively stationary. Bears don't react to guns like the baddies in your vidya, anon.
>>
>>30523321
No it wouldn't.
Bears don't usually attack if you make yourself known.
If they are attacking you they are up close and you shouldn't have any reason to miss.

The objective of stopping a bear is to crush bone. 7.62x39 would be pitiful for that, FMJ or otherwise.
There's a reason stopping rifles are monstrously huge.
>>
Because you dont need a scoped rifle to shoot something 4 feet across at 20 yards. At that range a 1oz slug causes a massive amount of damage while in a gun that is relativly lightweight and fast to cycle.
Inaccurate at range? Sure but i can put 5 slugs on a pie plate at 75 paces using the bead sight, thats plenty accurate for a pissed off bear at 1/3 that distance
>>
>>30523321
12 guage is to bears, what police issued 9mm handguns are to unarmed black males
>>
>>30523372
This.

4 bore or bust.
>>
>>30523370
Maybe my mav 88 sucks ass but I can't fucking hit a dollar sized target with bead sights 30 meters down. Maybe I just fucking suck
>>
>>30523321

M8 if you have to shoot a bear chances are it's going to be right on top of you, if you miss then you are retarded, blind, or both. Also shooting a grizzly with an SKS would probably result in getting mauled to death and the bear dying several hours later.

The thing about bears is that if you don't put it down in one or two shots it will likely fly into a rage and ignore pretty much any pain until you are dealt with. I probably wouldn't even try my luck with an SKS for a black bear let alone a grizzly.
>>
>>30523389
Let me guess,18 inch barrel?
>>
>>30523387
>not 2 bore
Bears can't fuck yo girl with a half pound of lead in his dik
>>
>>30523416
>Not 0.[Graham's Number of zeroes]1 bore
>>
>>30523389
>>30523399
I've also got a Maverick 88 and I can hit a plate at 100 meters.
>>
>>30523394
Last time my dad met a black bear in the brush the bear was certainly not right on top of him immediately. The bear just kinda stood there for 10 minutes thinking about eating my dad as my dad yelled his lungs off. The bear got bored and walked away.

Last time I saw a black bear he was just chilling off the side of the road eating clovers and pretending like he couldn't see me and like 10 other people taking pictures.
>>
>>30523399
28 inch modified choke 12 g
Yeah I bought it for waterfowl.
>buy another shotty!
Muh money
>>
>>30523444
Bears are so shy.

Why do they always pretend humans aren't there?
>>
>>30523444
Black bears are atypically a little more docile than other species of bears, and more likely to take off if you yell at them. The main exceptions are of course if cubs are involved, or if it's become too accustomed to people.
>>
File: P1010027.jpg (235 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
P1010027.jpg
235 KB, 1600x1200
>>30523431
>not putting a brick in a sock and showing the bear what's what
>>
>>30523389
Oh I'm sure it's mostly you, but trying different slugs wouldn't hurt. Same thing with regular shot. Different shotguns like different loads, more so than rifles.

Doesnt stop guys with rifled slug barrels reaching out to 200 yards
>>
>>30523444
Black bears are basically large dogs.
>>
>only have black bear around here
>theyre easily scared away
>yell random things at the one that keeps trying to get into my bird feeder to scare him off.
>>
>>30523394
Black bears are meek though, a .357 ball round can take those.

>>30523474
Don't get the wrong idea, this is black bears we're talking about, they're VERY shy and scaredy, brown bears however are very dangerous if they get close.
>>
>>30523551
>>30523947

Not entirely true. They're generally pussies yes, but they can still be dangerous. Cubs aren't the problem, since the mother will usually tree them and then go hide, what's dangerous are older males. When male black bears reach a certain size and age they become meaner and more aggressive, often predatory. The vast majority of black bear attacks are predatory males.

>>30524060

Honestly I wouldn't trust my life to .357 for a black bear. Like I said earlier, with all bears you have to put them down right away or they can fly into a rage and tear you to pieces. I wouldn't trust anything smaller than a .308 or 20g slug for a black bear, because "probably going to work" isn't good enough.
>>
>>30523282
Lmfao. Look at all the fish you caught with this bait.
>>
File: extreme penetrator 357.jpg (135 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
extreme penetrator 357.jpg
135 KB, 1920x1080
>>30524143
>Honestly I wouldn't trust my life to .357 for a black bear
Someone took a brown bear without difficulty using pic related.

I think the loading you pick matters.
>>
>>30524381
>Someone took a brown bear without difficulty using pic related
Sauce?
>>
>>30524498
An anon in another thread, supposedly:
>>30520796

Only an anecdote of course, but I can kind of see it, the solid copper construction and the way the bullet drills makes it penetrate like crazy, to the point that anything bigger than .380ACP isn't considered safe for regular home or personal defense (over penetration)
>>
>>30524381

Maybe, but there was a major study done about the effectiveness of guns against grizzly bears, and .44 magnum was rated as "minimally effective", so I'm going to trust that not some random story of some guy who got lucky. I've heard stories of people killing bears with axes too, that doesn't mean it's going to be what I take with me into the bush.
>>
>>30523321
>I doubt any of us here

ive put down deer on the run at ~70m with regular 1oz slugs out of my stock nova

just gotta get trigger time on your shotgun pal, it's not impossible.
>>
>>30524592
That's actually fair enough.
>>
>>30524717

This. I have a Winchester 1300 slug gun and its damn good out to 100 yards with irons. Actually more accurate with irons than a scope with it.
>>
>>30523344
>>30523394
can someone explain to me how 10 rounds of 7.62x39 into the head/chest of a bear isn't going to stop it?

we're talking about a genuine hit from 50 or so yards by a 30 cal bullet to the brain or spine, or maybe the heart or lungs, and it isn't gonna be killed on the spot or at least stunned? it's made of flesh and blood

does the sound of a rifle going off not scare bears?
>>
>>30524381
muh phillips head boolet
>>
>>30523399
I got an 18 inch.
Tested it with slugs at 25 meters, dispersion appeared to be bear-sized.
And I'm a manlet who can't into bead sights and almost broke his nose multiple times during testing.

Just remember to put all your weight forward and to panic after you emptied the tube.
>>
>>30523282
>something low powered like 308
>>>low powered
>>>>>>>308
>>
>>30523282

My grandfather has shot three bears with a .308 with three different results.

One fell over as soon as the bullet hit.

One charged, the second shot in the shoulder stopped it and it died soon after.

The third stood there for long enough for my grandfather to think he had missed, so he fired a second time, it took a few steps and fell over. Both bullets were later found to have passed through the heart/lungs.

Simply put, you can never put enough weight into a shot.
>>
File: The bait for k.jpg (2 MB, 4032x2268) Image search: [Google]
The bait for k.jpg
2 MB, 4032x2268
>>30523282
>>30523321
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.