[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why are so many ex military members broke
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: 1460022891036.jpg (298 KB, 773x1033) Image search: [Google]
1460022891036.jpg
298 KB, 773x1033
It doesn't make sense the pay is great for a highschool graduate 25-30 k a year. Housing is free along with food and clothing. You have free healthcare. Where the hell is all that money going to.
>>
>>30521162
Stupid shit.

Also, money management is a learned skill, anon.
>>
>>30521172
sreriously the piss it away... Fuck and they want me to feel bad.
>>
>>30521162
Dependas
>>
>>30521162
The type of people who don't become officers typically don't think long term.

>Where the hell is all that money going to.
Stupid shit instead of investments.
>>
>>30521162
Dependas,

High School Grads who haven't been exposed to real world costs.

Just normal bad life decisions that everyone makes.
>>
>>30521185
Ehhhh I know plenty of officers that have had similar problems as enlisted.
>>
>>30521188
the fact is that one in seven apparently end up homeless according to the statistic that the VA groups throw around. It doesn't make sense
>>
>>30521197
Lots of nonmilitary dumbfucks end up sleeping in closets/cars/benches and making poor financial decisions.
Either people get their shit together or they don't.
>>30521172
>money management is a learned skill
Can not be repeated enough.
>>
>>30521223
so should we just teach that to everyone.. I mean hell add on a month long course during training
>>
>>30521185
>Investments
Fellow cadet here. What are your recommendations?
>>
File: 1422541651508.jpg (5 KB, 184x90) Image search: [Google]
1422541651508.jpg
5 KB, 184x90
>>30521236
>month long course during training
Clever girl.

Maybe they should have sexual violence prevention classes too.
I think you're on to something.
>>
>>30521243
nah man money management might actually help people and reduce my tax rate
>>
>>30521239
well what I invest in is van guard index funds. Although anything by Raymond james is golden
>>
>>30521239
Don't fuck around with your money, dont buy the 2nLTmobile when you commission, save your fucking money.

Ask your staff, hopefully your ROTC unit has some senior enlisted that will tell you the same thing.
>>
When the military supplies you with housing transport and food you tend to come out of the military with very little in the way of life necessities.
You have a chance to build up a saving but when you're 22 and have very little free time you are going to go a bit crazy when you get it. Not uncommon to drop $500 just enjoying the weekend.

I got out of the Navy with about 7k saved up, no job, no car, staying with my parents until I could get things started.
Got an old truck fixed up for 2k, was on unemployment for longer then I feel ok about and stayed with my parents for 3 months before moving to an area with more opportunities.

If I didn't have parents or unemployment I would have never been able to get settled before that 7k ran out
>>
>>30521162
>Yay I'm out of boot camp let's buy a brand new, horribly financed car
>live in barracks? Naw I'm going to move out imidiately and live by myself BAH will totally cover it
>oh go out and spend hundreds of dollars at bars ever week? Well my peers all do it so it must be a good idea.
>tobacco products sure are popular, I guess I'll get into spending even more of my income on that!
>of course I'll marry my highschool girlfriend who has no job and lives with her parents, she can just move across the country to somewhere where she knows nobody and has no idea what she's doing with her life
>obviously I'll buy a multi-thousand dollar ring for her
>and she'll need her own car too, but she has no job so I guess I'll buy her one
>now about paying for this wedding
>hmm seems she got pregnant while I was on deployment l, guess I have to pay for that now too
>I heard that credit cards and payment plans are great, what's this "interest" thing people keep talking about, is 25% a lot? No? Okay then!

People aren't necessarily smart, particularly when they're essentially children when they enlist.>>30521172
>>
Idk where the fuck you live but 30k a year literally isnt shit
Garbage men make more than that
>>
>>30521308
for a highschool kid yeah 30k is pretty good also read the part about free housing and food
>>
>>30521251
Implying tax rates ever go down...
>>
>>30521308
If they're actually smart and happen to be based somewhere with a barracks that's near enough to their command that they can walk or cycle to work it's more like 25,000 a year with no rent, no utility bills and no food costs without a need to pay for transportation.

If you're willing to live like you're poor you can leave the military with a pile of money.
>>
>>30521336
our largest expenditure in the usa is welfare we manage to reduce the amount of people on it our taxes better go down
>>
>>30521342
>If you're willing to live like you're poor
Ding ding ding ding!
The reason why poor people exist is because they are unwilling to live like they are poor.
>>
>>30521346
But then the dems couldn't buy votes. C'mon, just play fair.

Who cares that social security is a ponzi scheme that isn't even financially neutral in the best case?
Who cares that by ending entitlements and welfare all taxes could be well below 10% and result in a massive surplus?
Who cares about prosperity and global competition?
Who cares about the possibility of the biggest boom the world has seen because of trillions of dollars of capital being free'ed up every single year?
>>
>>30521346
> largest expenditure in the usa is welfare
Uh... okay? Oh, that's a dig on the .mil, gotcha.

Have you ever known your taxes to go down? Or anyone's?
If they stop spending our money on one thing, they'll just spend it on another...
>>
>>30521388
no its not a dig at the military literally our largest expenditure is welfare. although the military is our second largest expenditure
>>
>>30521322
>>30521342
garbage men in my city make 48k a year base
no GED even required

free rent is fine and all but that pay is absoulte shit
>>
>>30521435
I'm guessing you're including Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security in that figure, because actual welfare and shit is only like 15% of the federal budget.
>>
File: proving a point.png (117 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
proving a point.png
117 KB, 960x720
>>30521470
well here is a pie chart. I like pie
>>
>>30521162
Because some people are shit with money. When I was in the army, I'd always save a certain amount of money each month, while others would literally spend everything. One guy literally had 5 cents on his bank account, and lived off each paycheck and spent the rest on videogames and burgers. Like a modern Pyle.
>>
>>30521485
I never liked my grandma anyway.
>>
>>30521497
god damn... So its the autistic fags that screw this great nation up
>>
>>30521162
put stupid in, get stupid out
>>
>>30521485
Cumulatively, DOD and nondiscretionary defence spending is the largest piece of that pie. Defence is 32%, not including spending not included in the public record for various reasons.
>>
>>30521162
Teenagers are sometimes not the best at managing money.

3/4 of boots soend thir money on earing out at civilian resturants and pRtying on weekends while I just ate at the chow hall all month and played video games on the weekend staying in the barracks...as such I saved a lot of my oay and opened up a dougnut shop after my first term.
>>
>>30521197
You know soldiers pay is non taxable and as such on oaper they are poverty level and qualify for food stamps and such?
>>
>>30521304
>she got pregnant while on deployment

Sneaky kek
>>
>>30522044
Only non taxable when deployed to certain places, like war zones
>>
>>30521239
Don't get fucking married to the first girl who see's that you are a young bachelor officer who then starts blowing you on a regular basis.
>>
>>30521436
You're still not getting it. Your garbage men may get 48K, but how much of that goes toward housing and food? And medical care or insurance?

You're looking at gross income when you should be looking at discretionary income. How many of your garbage men have $2500 available each month to spend on stupid shit?
>>
>>30521304
sounds like the life of a leg at Ft. Bragg
>>
>>30521383
bad economics can be solved in 1 generation
bad demographics are forever
both republicans & dems are united in turning the US into brazil
>>
dumb fucks OP, money managment is a skill you are born with, they arn't born with it, and if they were they would have saved up 40k by the time they left like I did
>>
>>30521172
Pretty much this. If you ask anyone who's been in for 10+ years, they'll say they wish they had actually saved money when they were younger. I have a finance manager and two Roth IRAs so that when when I retire, I'm not another homeless vet.
>>
>>30526829

Sounds like 60-70% of E-4s and below at bragg.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.