[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just found this old ww1 artillery fuze near Thiepval (Somme)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_20160706_145640.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160706_145640.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Anyone here know if this is safe? I'd like to keep it if it is
>>
File: IMG_20160706_145900.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160706_145900.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>30520979
If none of you know where should I ask?
>>
>>30520979
It's safe, all it does is activate the munition, which clearly it clearly isn't attatched to, judging from where you found it, it's likely from a british howitzer that was moved forward following the capture of the German support trenches to the rear iirc
>>
>>30520979
Actually, I may be wrong, that looks like it might be a German Kz14 fuse, can you make out any markings of writing on it?
>>
>>30520979
In the future, it's better if you not touch and move munitions before you know what they are. Old ones especially can be more sensitive. I used to deal with this stuff, and the number of police or random people hurt due to their own ignorance was much higher than it needed to be.

Anyway, this is just the front of the fuze, clearly missing the detonator and booster, so you're good to go.
>>
>>30521076
Nice thanks anon
>>
>>30521076
I remember you, post stories
>>
>>30521233
We got a lot of calls where the description was "It's a bomb!" and getting an actual physical description was like pulling teeth.

I'd say the vast majority of calls are BS trash, but we got to treat them all as true.

So, one time in the middle of the night we get a call from the police saying that a guy in a trailer park had found "a bomb".

Cue everybody rolling their eyes.

I go out to the police station with another guy. We meet the cop and the cop takes out to this trailer park in the middle of nowhere at like 2AM.

We are met by the most white trash looking dude imaginable. White undershirt, long greasy hair, shitty accent. The whole 9 yards. He claims he found a "damn der bomb next to his trailer" and that it looks like "a bomb".

Whatever. We follow him into the woods, thinking we might be murderaped. We get to this stream in the woods and we find- an intact Hellfire missile. Holy fuckin' shit.

So yeah, we make sure it's safe enough to move and take it somewhere to blow it up.

Turns out some Apache helicopters were doing livefire training and this suckered dudded out, ended up in a river, and washed down to the trailer park.
>>
>>30521302

holy shit
>>
>>30521302
One time we got called for a "world war 2 bomb" and when we asked, it was descibed as "you know, like a bomb from a cartoon with the fins and stuff".

Went out to this river bank and found something that did look exactly like a "cartoon bomb", but which we figured out wasn't ordnance. We were very puzzled. It was a bomb shaped, solid steel thing. It weighed like 200 pounds. Very confusing.

After about a day we figured out it was a ballast keel off a boat.
>>
>>30521341
In Afghanistan we got called out for a "rocket stuck in a wall", which actually wasn't too uncommon of a call.

Go out, there's a sweet old Afghan women who points us to the second story of her house. We go up, and there is an OG-7 round embedded in the interior wall. It had flown through an open window. I was a team member at the time, team leader starts telling me to go down the stairs and that he's going to take a look to see if the round can be moved. As he is starting to say that, the round falls out of the wall and hits the ground with the loudest metalic thud in my memory. After not shitting ourselves he's all like, "Ok, I guess this thing is ok to move." and we take it outside and blow it up.

Similarly, got called outside the wire for an RPG round found by a patrol. We get there, and it's a broken apart warhead. Just the booster tube and the back of the warhead which is empty of explosives. Inert, so I pick it up and take it back to base to throw in the trash pile.

On the way in, an infantry guy I knew saw me carrying the back half of the round and asked me nervously if it was safe. I look at him with a dumb expression and go "I dunno" and smacked it as hard as I could on a concrete wall. He fucked jumped behind cover. I walked by and said "Seems fine." Kinda dick move.
>>
>>30521379
bit of a dick move, but hilarious nonetheless
>>
File: PTSD.jpg (185 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
PTSD.jpg
185 KB, 960x720
>>30521411
One time I drank Baileys from a shoe and camouflaged a humvee with palm leaves.
>>
>>30521379

that's golden
>>
I'm trying to organize enough people to go on a WWII artifact hunting trip along the Eastern front. The guy running it is a pretty respectable Archeologist that I've known for several years, he needs more people to go or he won't make any money.

If anyone wants to go just send me an email, but we'll need around 8+ or the trip won't even happen.

He's found Panzerfaust and AT mines in the past, along with a literally fuck ton of Tiger treads.
>>
>>30521423
war is hell
>>
>>30521423
and how was Egypt?
>>
>>30521450
Super fun.

Sharm El Shiek is like Cancun for Russians and Euros.

Although flying through Israel was a bit of a hassle. You know the kind of pain in the ass Israeli airport security gives a guy with a bag full of camoflage, dive, equipment, and books about explosives?
>>
>>30521430
Assuming this isn't an elaborate scam to steal my money and wear my skin, what's the legality of bringing shit like that back stateside?
>>
Last story and I'm out for now, this is a longer one:

I was on a combat outpost in Afghanistan. This was a permanant outpost, but it was very remote and in a place which heavy insurgent (Haqqani) presence. No running water, power supplied entirely by mobile generators. Helicopters would only ever come to the outpost at night because too many threats during the day. Ground convoys were rare, because the roads were so heavy with IEDs and ambushes. It took a whole two months and multiple tries for a convoy to actually make it through, and when they did finally make it, the vehicles were all fucked up and it was a mass casualty situation.

Basically, setting the scene that this place was isolated and kinda sucked. The place where guys go a bit weird with humor.

So, anyway, stuck there, and guys get kinda bored. One night a bunch of guys watch a Vietnam movie and pick up the word "gooks" for bad guys. They jokingly start calling the Afghan insurgents "gooks". This joke eventually morphs into common slang. Even the infantry leadership occasionally slips and casually uses the word during pre-operational briefs.

So, we have an operation to get a cache based on some information. We go, we get it. On the way back, an infantry Lt. is wounded in a firefight. He is helicoptered out and a replacement from a big FOB is flown in. This guy is fresh in.

So, it's the day after the raid on the cache, and we know from experience that the insurgents are pissed and will probably attempt to mortar or attack us in retaliation. It's like 4am and we are all prepped in our gear and hanging out in the bunkers. I'm next to this new Lt. and he asks about the outpost, so I'm giving him the lay of the land, which is along the lines of "We used to have a shower tent but that blew up, and that's where the internet conex was but that blew up, and over there is the mechanics tent, but that caught on fire" etc. He is just kinda overwhelmed.
>>
>>30521569
There is an Afghan school right next to the outpost, and the insurgents used that to work their way close to the outpost. They are attempting to get past the concertina wire and to the hesco barrier.

QRF (who are wearing dirty multicams that have faded into flat color uniforms) comes running by screaming with full sincerity that, "THERE ARE GOOKS INSIDE THE WIRE!"

Lt. looks at me like he doesn't know what year he's in.
>>
>>30521465
you go with the guard or were you 6-9 cav / 3CR?
>>
>>30521608
Nope.
>>
File: gooks in the wire.jpg (92 KB, 1200x337) Image search: [Google]
gooks in the wire.jpg
92 KB, 1200x337
>>30521569
>>30521585
I'm not saying you are a liar, but I do believe I've heard this elsewhere.
>>
File: pc.jpg (478 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
pc.jpg
478 KB, 1536x2048
>>30521720
That was me. Thanks for saving my old greentext. I thought it'd been lost. Who would retell such a specific story?

Here's a picture of the outpost computer conex burning down after getting hit.
>>
>>30521608
well be glad you had bailies at south camp at all. I was with the first active duty unit there for ~15 yrs around the time of all the rioting in cairo (halfway across egypt) so our SCO was treating it like a full fledged combat deployment. we had drinking for all of 1 week before some subhuman italian raped someone with alcohol involved. no drinking or leaving south camp for anything but MWR trips.

that said I only actually worked for maybe 1/4th of the deployment. stayed in the center of Jerusalem and Tiberius with full freedom to walk around while touring all the tourist things in israel over 4 days for 100 buckeroos.
>>
>>30521843
I was there for the riots. A ton of booze that had to be given up by the other US units got given to our unit, because our commander wasn't a fag.
>>
>>30521843
>I was with the first active duty unit there for ~15 yrs
>>
>>30521517
It's incredibly illegal for many items (anything that goes bang). Doesn't really have to stop you, just a warning.
The only reason I'm trying to rope people from /k/ into going is because I really want to go and I need more people or the trip won't happen.

If it does happen, it'll probably be sometime during next summer.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.