[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
USSOCOM QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: download (2).jpg (103 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
103 KB, 1000x666
SOF questions that don't deserve their own thread

I'll start off

1. Where does MARSOC fit into Special Operations Command? It seems like all the niche roles are already filled

2. Where does CIA SOG recruit from?

3. What is the US equivalent to the SAS?
>>
>3. What is the US equivalent to the SAS?

According to Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit by Eric L. Haney, Delta Force was modeled heavily on the SAS during it's creation.
>>
>>30517831
>modeled
You mean improved upon.
>>
>>30517805
>It seems like all the niche roles are already filled

It's not a question of filling niches. It's a question of having enough manpower to carry out more missions.
>>
>>30517831
I remember hearing in a video that their final test is similar to the SAS's wherein its like a 40 mile ruck (?)
>>
Oh wow this is the perfect thread for my faggotry

Got some questions I'm hoping you bunch of dick sucking homos can help me out with or at least point me in the right direction

1) Someone help me out understanding what QRFs are and what they do exactly. How does one become a member of one? Is it some special mos or volunteers or what?

2) Delta are NOT regular grunts and therefore cannot do everything right? They're mostly there to conduct special ops shit and mostly anti-terror direct action type shit

3) Pertaining a bit closely to question number two, is there such a thing like SWCC on land? Like some sort of insertion/extraction support platform that specializes on fast deployment and extractions in situations where contact is expected and expected to be heavy?

I had my thoughts organized a lot better earlier and was trying to make sense of it more since I'm working on a fiction project but still wanted to portray this a little more accurately, and having some sort of main grunt force dedicated entirely to just showing up to places and shooting up while pulling people out/pushing in seemed redundant

I was actually considering just making that a marine unit because memes
>>
>>30517884
I only claim to what I have read in the book, I have no insider knowledge.

But according to the book, yes a long ruck/land navigation portion is part of selection.

But beyond selection, the actual methods and organization of the unit was heavily inspired by the SAS, as the founders of Delta wanted a more flexible and asymmetric force than what they currently had in the Army.
>>
>>30517903
As far as three goes, the first thing that comes to mind is the US Rangers. I imagine if it gets much worse than a hostage situation or a HVT extraction, there's probably a unit somewhere a bit higher up with a three letter name that we don't know about yet.
>>
>>30517805
>2. Where does CIA SOG recruit from?

Jesus Christ, anon. It's right there in the wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Activities_Division

> The group selects operatives from other tier one special mission units such as Delta Force, DEVGRU, ISA, and 24th STS, as well as other United States special operations forces, such as USNSWC, MARSOC, US Army Special Forces, SEALs, SWCC, Force Recon, Pararescuemen, Combat Controllers, and the Army Rangers.

At least make yourself useful next time.
>>
>>30517945
young nigger really are lazy.
>>
>>30517903
>1) Someone help me out understanding what QRFs are and what they do exactly. How does one become a member of one? Is it some special mos or volunteers or what?

Quick Reaction Force. This is exactly what it sounds like, it is a force that is on standby to react, generally for base defense, but also to reenforce elements that are under attack.

It is not a special MOS or anything like that. Heck, it often even rotates. One month a certain infantry platoon is on QRF, and then the next month a different platoon is, etc.

Other elements like fire fighters on post, medics, and EOD will have soldiers who rotate into quick reaction spots for a while, and then somebody else takes their spot.

>2) Delta are NOT regular grunts and therefore cannot do everything right?

They are not.

>They're mostly there to conduct special ops shit and mostly anti-terror direct action type shit

They do lots of shit, but generally from what I have seen (not posting as Delta here), they are used for HVT or other direct action that is deemed important. It is a waste to send them on bog standard patrols or whatever.

3) Pertaining a bit closely to question number two, is there such a thing like SWCC on land? >Like some sort of insertion/extraction support platform that specializes on fast deployment and extractions in situations where contact is expected and expected to be heavy?

Helicopters. If extraction is needed while under fire, you send Apaches or littlebirds to fuck shit up and defend the transportation helicopters.

Look up 160th SOAR, who are Special Forces helicopter support. I'm sure they get into all sorts of shennigans.
>>
>>30518008
>>30517942

Thanks a bunch you two. You guys wouldn't happen to have any literature worth recommending to further familiarize myself with their shit would you? I intend to go scour the nearby libraries' DOD section anyways for the more formal literature but what about other books?
>>
File: 2000px-MARSOC_LOGO.svg[1].png (1 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
2000px-MARSOC_LOGO.svg[1].png
1 MB, 2000x2000
>>30517805
>1. Where does MARSOC fit into Special Operations Command? It seems like all the niche roles are already filled
The roles are filled. MARSOC is considered by many to be a superfluous unit with some brass even calling for disbanding. MARSOC does not fall under JSOC, a decision which was made by former JSOC commander Stanley McChrystal. This means they do not have access to JSOC intelligence channels and their service jacket is therefore very minimal. Much of the talk at SOCOM has been about strange leadership decisions and expenditures in the unit. MARSOC has also come under scrutiny for questionable acquisitions such as M81 uniforms and adopting the (now somewhat exotic and less capable) 1911 sidearm.

Some of the problems with the unit are highlighted in this article:
http://www.oafnation.com/the-book-of-eli/2014/4/10/marsoc-conquering-the-mission-failing-the-men
>>
>>30517945
I'm not an idiot I knew they recruit from various USSOCOM units. I was wondering where they look the most, and who specifically they look for.

I've heard Delta is comprised mostly of 35+ year olds. Assuming DEVGRU and similar units are the same I can't imagine SOG wants 40 year old operators.
>>
>>30517903
>QRF's are quick reaction force. Usually instituted on a brigade level with select personnel being set aside from main patrol tasks to repond to serious incidents involving TIC's(troops in contact) with a cycling rotation. Doesn't have to be sf usually isn't.

>2: True, they are not standard Infantry they do practice the basics infantry tactics however.
>>
>>30518048
Not off the top of my head. Another thing Delta does that >>30518008 didn't mention, they train also train locals to fight/spy/sabotage/subterfuge etc. A lot of what Delta can get done is just with the fact they have an unlimited cash pile to fucking hand out as bribes to whoever they want. Village elders, corrupt foreign government officials, etc.
>>
>>30518075
I don't know the ins and outs of Delta, trying to stay cautious and only go with sourcing.

I was under the impression that Delta was more HVT and direct action oriented, while "normal" Green Berets did the long term train-the-locals kind of stuff.
>>
>>30518075
> Not really. Most are pulled from SF ranks. They have done their time there. Usually in reserve for Generals PSD's or high resistant DR missions.
>>
>>30518049
>http://www.oafnation.com/the-book-of-eli/2014/4/10/marsoc-conquering-the-mission-failing-the-men

This is really a microcosm of how fucked the Marine Corps is. I like the Marines, and I appreciate their history, but if they can't quickly unfuck themselves they have no place in the US Military.
>>
>>30518067
>I've heard Delta is comprised mostly of 35+ year olds. Assuming DEVGRU and similar units are the same I can't imagine SOG wants 40 year old operators.

Why not? Old age and guile will beat youth and energy every time. SAD SOG isn't about overwhelming the enemy with how young, dumb, and full of cum you are. It's about staying cool under pressure, waiting until the right moment to go loud, and having been around the block enough times to see all the angles and see the enemy coming.

A 40 year old with an exemplary career in the Rangers and Delta is probably exactly what SOG is looking for.
>>
>>30517805
>USSOCOM QTDDTOT

For fuck's sake there's already a QTDDTOT and an /meg/, why does everyone think they need their own special snowflake thread?
>>
>>30518186
Same reason you're bitching about it here
>>
>>30517868
There are differences, but I'm not sure if they're improvements. There seemed to be a lot more autonomy and freedom in the SAS when I read Beckwith's book. It's not necessarily a bad or good thing, but it's different.
>>
>>30518191
Which is?

Because OP saw it in the catalog and thought it was stupid to fill up the catalog with redundant threads?
>>
>>30518067
>I've heard Delta is comprised mostly of 35+ year olds

Expanding on this.

How does Delta have any JOs? The length of the service requirements and selection process would be long enough for any JO to progress to field grade. And if they are putting in JOs right out of West Point or ROTC how is a 22 year old butterbar gonna lead a platoon of 35 year old operators?
>>
>>30518264
Imagine Lieutenant Gorman, only the military is smart enough to leave him onboard the Sulaco instead of sending him down with the grunts. He's there to brief them and debrief them.

Also, he goes through a lot of the same training, and is probably not a butterbar by the time he's deployed.
>>
>>30518310
Are you talking out of experience in Delta, or just talking out your poopyhole?
>>
>>30518322
http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/browse-career-and-job-categories/combat/special-forces-officer.html
>>
>>30518264
Officers arrive at CAG when they've already held commission in other SOF units like the 75th. They're Majors and shit. They're just healthy and badass enough to rock with the big boys.
>>
>>30518333
I meant about:
>Imagine Lieutenant Gorman, only the military is smart enough to leave him onboard the Sulaco instead of sending him down with the grunts. He's there to brief them and debrief them.
>>
>>30518333
>>30518310
>>30518345

That link isn't about CAG, and it mentions nothing about enlisteds operating without a JO
>>
>>30518344
If they're putting field grade officers on the ground then whose taking the positions of the field grades?
>>
>>30518477
Their chain of command is obviously very small. The logistics side of the house is basically taken care of by SOCOM logistics partner units. This means that CAG is almost entirely operational. They have a bunch of Sergeant Majors running around kicking doors. The function of their group overrides any traditional rank structuring. It works a little bit like line units, but everyone's rank is higher with only a few non-field leaders. And they're almost definitely Generals of some variety.
>>
>>30518166
When Billy Waugh was told he'd have to retire from the SAD due to his age, he shrugged and figured being a contractor is fine, too. He was 71 when he buddied up with Gary Schroen (yes, that one), got his ass shipped to Afghanistan well in advance of the actual invasion, linked up with the Northern Alliance, and might've even personally participated in the Battle of Tora Bora. For all we know, he's still doing contract work for the CIA to this day.

Guy's a fucking badass and it pains me to know that I'll (likely) never get the chance to be like him.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.