[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm wondering what is better to use when going out in hunting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: image:52737.jpg (126 KB, 1200x1500) Image search: [Google]
image:52737.jpg
126 KB, 1200x1500
I'm wondering what is better to use when going out in hunting without having to use a firearm.

Is the long bow better or would that go to the compound bow in terms of hunting without a firearm.

Also which knife would be best for skinning a deer and cutting the meat if it had to be just one knife only?
>>
Use a compound bow if you have no talent or skill what-so-ever.
>>
Compound bows are far superior to recurves for hunting
>>
What's the major difference? Cost and maintenance?
>>
>>30507896
Ease of use, practical draw weight.

With recurves you have to continually pull against the full draw weight, while the gizmos on the compound bow will store most of the energy for you.
>>
>>30507896
there are more maintenance costs with compounds. Getting it sighted in, tuning it, more thing that can break ect.
>>
>>30507816
worked for me!
>>
Get an entry level recurve bow to start with, maybe 40-55 lbs draw or whatever is manageable for you to pull. 40 lbs can take deer sized game. Don't use sights... Don't even have them on your bow. It's like throwing a rock or baseball. All about feel, instinct and practice. After you've practiced with the recurve for a month or two you'll get the hang of archery and know what you want in a good bow.

Now it's time to look at compound bows if you want to. You'll have great fundamental shooting ability after using the recurve and will be a great shot with any decent compound. You'll really appreciate being able to hold a draw easily and might even toy around with sights.

A fantastic and affordable deer knife would be the buck 119 special, or a buck 110 folder if you want it to fit in a pocket. Good luck getting close enough to a deer to shoot one!
>>
File: 51yEwW5AriL._SL1400_.jpg (36 KB, 1400x1200) Image search: [Google]
51yEwW5AriL._SL1400_.jpg
36 KB, 1400x1200
>>30507774
>Also which knife would be best for skinning a deer and cutting the meat if it had to be just one knife only?
A plain 6" boning knife works perfectly well for breaking down meat and bones.

But my experience is with butchering, not hunting, so I've got no working knowledge on skinning land animals and keeping the skin nice.
>>
>>30508063
Why would you advocate for a switch to compounds after training with a recurve?

Recurves do anything and everything for the average hunter under 40 yards, and you can take that knowledge to bowfishing eventually.

If you're a hardcore deer or elk hunter and want to make great clean kills, use a compound. Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with a recurve after some good solid training.
>>
>>30508102
>Why would you advocate for a switch to compounds after training with a recurve?
Because compounds do everything a recurve can do more accurately and more easily.
>>
>>30508102
For hunting with a bow the typical kill shot is going to be with 15-20 yards at most. The ability to hold the shot at that range is key to taking large game like deer. I don't really know how to explain more to someone who knows jack shit about bow hunting but compound bows are simply better in all ways.
>>
>>30508102
>zero experience in subject matter
>posts opinion anyway

classic /k/
>>
>>30508102
Are you autistic?
>>
>>30508102
Dude what.

No one is making ethical shots on any large game at 40 yards with an unsighted recurve. With a compound, yes.

>>30508034
Sighting in a compound isn't hard to do. Tuning is a thing, but do it once at the beginning when you get the bow and do it right and it's not going to constitute a huge maintenance burden. Specifically, do your initial sight-in and paper tune in the shop, and then walk-back and/or broad head tune yourself after that as needed. After that, you're talking a yearly string change in the shop and waxing the string and cables ever hundred or so arrows.

>>30507774
I shoot a 40# recurve and 60# compound. The compound is better for hunting without question. Power aside even, between shooting a release aid, bow let-off, solid back wall and having sights a compound will basically always outshoot a trad bow in terms of accuracy and consistency - this is big, given how vital shot placement is in bowhunting. That's not to say trad bows aren't effective, good or fun. They definitely are, and if you want want to shoot trad, do it. It's more challenging and improvement will come much slower, but it's satisfying and there's definitely a romance to it.
>>
Nigga just use a gun like just go use it for hunting nigga
>>
>>30511358
Bowfags get access to a longer hunting season.
>>
File: 1444191811268.gif (1 MB, 283x153) Image search: [Google]
1444191811268.gif
1 MB, 283x153
>>30507774
This.
>>30507816
Hunting with a long bow is not easy, Ethically speaking if you're new to Archery, the Comp bow will take a lot of the learning curve outta the game.

Make sure you learn proper form, and follow through. If You're going after white tail, the grim reaper broad heads are nice.

http://www.basspro.com/Grim-Reaper-Razortip-Whitetail-Special-Mechanical-Broadheads/product/10206988/
>>
>>30511609
Flip-outs are kinda crappy compared to slip-cams.
>>
File: 1415064849780.jpg (721 KB, 1280x834) Image search: [Google]
1415064849780.jpg
721 KB, 1280x834
>>30511757
I've never had an issue with em, but I hear what you're sayin'.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.