[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lever action long range hunting/sniping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: original.img.jpg (1 MB, 5450x1025) Image search: [Google]
original.img.jpg
1 MB, 5450x1025
So maybe it's just me but i have always wondered why more lever actions are not made in large full lenght ruffle calibers. Consider the possibilities for long distance shooting. You could cycle the action without losing your sight picture. I have to admit that I got this idea from fallout Nv but have put some serious thought into this. I know that there is a limit to what a lever can cycle but the browning blr is in .30-06 and .30-06 is not to far from .338 lapua when it comes to over all length. So why not? Its not like .30-06, .308, or .338 LM are not capable of hitting long range targets. Are their any draw backs I have not pointed out? Let's have this discussion.
>>
Most lever mechanisms swing forward too far to allow box mags and nobody really wants an entirely new design when you could go semi-auto for about the same weight, greater flexibility, etc.
>>
>>30505586
True but for ban states such as CA and MD we are not allowed most large caliber semi-auto firearms. most things that begin with AR, or AK are banned.
>>
>>30505558
>338

Because the gun would be fucking huge, fucking heavy, and your lockup would have to be completely changed, AND you'd have a fuckhuge receiver

it would no longer be a useful gun

Think Desert Eagle tier retardedly oversized
>>
>>30505624
Well then change your politics. A retarded gun to comply with retarded laws is doubly stupid.
>>
File: wm_2046544.jpg (42 KB, 1200x495) Image search: [Google]
wm_2046544.jpg
42 KB, 1200x495
Get a Savage 99. I have two, one in .243 and one in .308. They are very nice rifles.
>>
>>30505624
> we are not allowed most large caliber semi-auto firearms
That's not true.

> most things that begin with AR, or AK are banned
Most rifles in those patterns don't begin with either.
>>
>>30505677
That is true, but most the time its not a question of why but why not?
>>
>>30505689
That is also true. Im 18 and dont currently have enough time or funds to move out to another state so i guess im stuck for a while.
>>
>>30505713
List of most banned firearms in MD.
http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx
This shit is hard to get around. Also most FFLs wont even carry anything close to a "Black gun" that i have seen. Then again I have only been to 3 FFLs in MD.
>>
Most lever guns use a tube magazine, which means the tip of one bullet is against the primer of another, so when you fire the gun, the recoil can cause the bullets to fire inside the tube magazine. It's why there are no spitzer lever funs
>>
>>30505821
But what about the BLR which is a mag fed lever action? It is still pretty conventional. Also there is a plethora of .30-30 lever actions.
>>
30-30 isn't a spitzer, also isn't very accurate over 150 yards, evern leverloutions at 200 yards is pushing it. Also stated "most" lever actions
>>
>>30505886
True True
>>
>>30505788
Bro, both jlowes guns in Cecil county and free state gun range in white marsh carry ARs. They are just heavy barrel but have all of the "scary features."
>>
>>30505929
Oh, and I forgot Fox's Firearms carry ARs. And 308 ARs are unregulated by the 2013 assault weapon ban. MD has the weirdest shit laws.
>>
>>30505929
Interesting I did not know of this. I had been to Continental and a few others when i was too little to remember and I never saw an AR. Any possibility of buying a stripped lower? Both my parents are really anti gun but don't mind the idea of just a lower.
>>
>>30505982
Really! They do! Thats awesome, and yes MD has some crazy bad laws.
>>
>>30505997
You can get a lower but you have to be 21 and go through the waiting period. (I think it's 7 days, don't quote me) however, you have to build your ar with a heavy barrel because if you don't and the msp find out, they will fuck you real good. Or you could always buy an already assembled heavy barrel ar at the age of 18, cash and carry.
>>
>>30505558
There are *modern* lever actions like the discontinued Savage 99 and today the Browning BLR that have very strong actions. (The BLR uses a light receiver and a bolt with lugs that lock into a barrel extension--a modern design not unlike the AR-15's) What you are describing is mechanically possible, but there just isn't the demand for it.
The bolt action is simpler and stronger, and generally more accurate.
>>
Okay seriously without offending or upsetting, can anyone tell me the advantage of a lever action over a bolt action if there is one at all? I guess the advantage over a semi auto is accuracy with match grade ammunition but I have never had that issue...

What are they for if not just because they are old timey and look cool?
>>
>>30506324
1. You don't lose you sight picture
2. Smaller
3. Less subject to regulation
4. Less subject to annoying liberals complaining and crying about how scary it is.
5. Bolt actions can't be used in any competitive action cowboy shooting
6. Working a slide is much easier and faster than a bolt.
7. Much more lever actions that are chambered in hand gun calibers than bolt actions.
8. Levers are often a lot smoother than bolts to operate
9. Having a rifle and pistol in the same caliber is cheap and easy.
10. You feel like a bad was cowboy.
P.s. I'm 18 So it's not just an old dude thing.
>>
>>30506324
Rate of fire. Coming from a country where semi-auto rifles are completely no-no, people love lever-action rifles for their slight rate of fire advantage over most bolt actions. They also make good "scrub guns" as they're usually in some short range cartridge anyway so you don't lose much using only a 16-18" barrel and iron sights/red dots. Lever-action rifles are also much more common than pump-action rifles.

Also some people just prefer them for whatever subjective reason.
>>
>1. You don't lose you sight picture

Depends on the rifle or person shooting, that is not exclusive to lever actions

>2. Smaller

Depends on the rifle for sure, and the length were talking about here is negligible

>3. Less subject to regulation

Hardly concerning, I don't see bolt actions with wood furniture being hated on, or mini13s

>4. Less subject to annoying liberals complaining and crying about how scary it is.

Same as above, this is hardly an advantage

>5. Bolt actions can't be used in any competitive action cowboy shooting

Not an advantage

>6. Working a slide is much easier and faster than a bolt.

Anecdotal and depends on the person, you also seem to be forgetting straight pull bolts

>7. Much more lever actions that are chambered in hand gun calibers than bolt actions.

By that I assume you are referring to .38/.357 and .44, not really handgun calibers in that way

>8. Levers are often a lot smoother than bolts to operate

Still depends on the person and the rifle

>9. Having a rifle and pistol in the same caliber is cheap and easy.

Still talking about big ass magnum cartridges unless you mean .38 then I guess I suppose that is fun but not a huge advantage in any way, I don't see people walking around with 9mm or .45acp lever actions

>10. You feel like a bad was cowboy.

Nah
>>
>>30506418

Subjective reasons are fine, I was more looking to see if they had any sort of advantage over modern actions. And unless you live somewhere that having a semi auto or magfed rifles are a no no, then they really dont aside from the fun factor
>>
>>30506456
If you can own semi-autos then the only benefits may be price and reliability, but that would depend on the semi-autos you have available.
>>
>>30506324
There really isn't much aside from:
Faster cycling, plus the bolt on a bolt-action can catch on things.
The normal tube magazine limits bullet selection but keeps the rifle very compact.
They look cool and handle well.

Pump rifles have many of the same advantages but for some reason they aren't as popular.
>>
I do love me some lever actions tho
>>
>>30506509

lever actions are shit to use when prone
>>
>>30505558
>Browning BLR

Seems like you already answered your question.
>>
>>30505558
>sniping

go back to CoD child
>>
>>30506382
>Levers are often a lot smoother than bolts to operate

As someone who owns both bolt and lever actions, that's not the case at all.
>>
>>30505558
Check Henry
>>
>>30505701
but they're so fucking ugly
>>
>>30508231
You shut your whore mouth
>>
>>30505558
Yes. The draw back is the lockup of the mechanism itself isn't anywhere close to as accurate as a bolt action. You'd never be able to use .338 Lapua to its potential.

Even if you could. It'd cost so much to manufacture that there would be no market for it. They're 300yd and in guns and the calibers that are available in most are perfectly suitable for that role.
>>
>>30508231
Anything would look ugly when compared to a Winchester.
>>
>>30506324
Lever actions are faster than anything short of a semi-auto. Magdumping ten rounds of .44 magnum will slay goddamn near anything on Earth if they all hit.
>>
>>30505821
That is by all means a worst case scenario which in testing required shimming the cartridge to intentionally line up with with primer before smacking the rifle with a hammer. The rimmed nature of most lever cartridges and the tapered case of nearly everything else makes that pretty rare. Its old logic that holds on because most people wouldn't buy lever action for more than 300 yards anyway. Those that do have savages, brownings and .308marlin
>>
>>30506324
Everything else had pretty much been covered by other anons but there are a few more things to consider. Most are very handy, Trim,lightweight and easy pointing guns that serve the people that use them very well. Its partly an environmental thing. You would have to handle one to understand fully.

Now to correct your part about accuracy that not entirely true. Many lever actions can be very accurate, but by nature of having a two piece stock set, magazine tube, barrel bands and buckhorn sights, most are simply "accurate enough"

This can be overcome but outside of adding peeps or a scope, the particulars of accurizing a lever action aren't super common knowledge. Its mostly just reinforcing/adding barrel supports somewhat like bedding a bolt gun. Its a lot easier than building a receiver extension

The BLR has a pretty good reputation for accuracy from the box though
>>
>>30506440
>1. You don't lose you sight picture
>Depends on the rifle or person shooting, that is not exclusive to lever actions
Which given the right combination becomes objective

>2. Smaller
>Depends on the rifle for sure, and the length were talking about here is negligible
On average, without going to a mountain rifle, lever guns tend to be smaller and lighter. The length isn't negligible at all considering the chamberings are often more efficient for barrel length

>3. Less subject to regulation
>Hardly concerning, I don't see bolt actions with wood furniture being hated on, or mini13s
See Australia

>4. Less subject to annoying liberals complaining and crying about how scary it is.
>Same as above, this is hardly an advantage
See Australia and ban states and ban states

>5. Bolt actions can't be used in any competitive action cowboy shooting
>Not an advantage

>6. Working a slide is much easier and faster than a bolt.
>Anecdotal and depends on the person, you also seem to be forgetting straight pull bolts
You seem to be forgetting the advantages of less movement. You are arguing against physics in favor of being a cunt.

>7. Much more lever actions that are chambered in hand gun calibers than bolt actions.
>By that I assume you are referring to .38/.357 and .44, not really handgun calibers in that way
Those are literally handgun calibers

>8. Levers are often a lot smoother than bolts to operate
>Still depends on the person and the rifle
Depends entirely on the rifle actually

>9. Having a rifle and pistol in the same caliber is cheap and easy.
>Still talking about big ass magnum cartridges unless you mean .38 then I guess I suppose that is fun but not a huge advantage in any way, I don't see people walking around with 9mm or .45acp lever actions
Those are called short chambers, which are offered by several companies, even in 10mm

>10. You feel like a bad was cowboy.
>Nah
Still just you being a cunt.
>>
>>30511530
One more thing: save for stripper clip loading, the BLR and Winchester 1895 are essentially a perfect Scout Rifle.
>full power cartridges like .308 or .30-06
>accurate
>super light
>easy to scope
>short enough barrel for use in the brush
>>
>>30508231
Anon, are you one of those "people" who refuses to watch any movies older than they are, or do you go to great lengths to have music constantly playing in your presence because you're fearful of being alone with your thoughts? These aren't rhetorical, mind you, I'm just eager to add another linkage to my extensive complex of interconnected biases about idiots.
>>
>>30505558
lever actions aren't as stable as bolt actions.
>>
>>30511895
Ah yes, due to the diesel engine that powers the lever
>>
File: DSC02036.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DSC02036.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>>30511857
Some 1895s have stripper guides and there are two companies that worked on magazine conversions for the BLRs. The AR mags are an easy mod, but idk if anyone has managed to do a m14 or sr25 mag yet since the lever interferes.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.