[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just ordered a slug mold, lead melter, ladle, shell vise and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: slug[1].jpg (529 KB, 1200x1532) Image search: [Google]
slug[1].jpg
529 KB, 1200x1532
Just ordered a slug mold, lead melter, ladle, shell vise and roll crimp tool in order to start converting 12 gauge birdshot loads to slugs.
Any tips for a beginner casting bullets? Any gadgets that I missed?
Shotgun reloading general?
>>
>>30503783
Can't normally roll crimp Lee slugs.
>>
>>30504163
Why not, are they too long?
>>
>>30504298
Lee designed their slugs to be used with a standard shot cup and star crimp.
They are skinny with a round nose. The roll does not even contact the slug. You would need a fairly sturdy overshot card to hold it together.
>>
Is your pot just a pot or a bottom pour? Hated using just the ladle, big PITA

All the safety crap, lead gets hot. I cast 250 of the lyman slugs from range lead/wheel weights. Personally have not tried a roll crimper on star crimped shells.

PS heat the mold and keep it hot, get some 2 cycle oil to keep the sprue plate running
>>
>>30504350
It's just a basic pot, but it was only $35 and I wouldn't have a problem upgrading in the future.
>>30504342
I'll have to experiment with a card over the top, then. Or just use a different slug mold. Is re-crimping birdshot hulls difficult, can it be done without a press?
>>
>>30504388
Pretty much need a press to do it right.
Can hand fold them and glue/melt the crimp shut though.
>>
File: wbstryb.jpg (95 KB, 514x686) Image search: [Google]
wbstryb.jpg
95 KB, 514x686
can anyone help me find a cross section like this for the Lee 45-70 mould?

Thinking of modifying it to cast .455 Webley because the hollow base helps with veolocity
>>
>>30504444
Got a mill?
They only have the one .45 HB mold, you'ld have to machine off the last two lube grooves and reattach the base pin assembly.
>>
>>30504444
Start here http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=all
>>
>>30504479
My plan was to simply superglue the mould together to keep it solid and cut carefully using a mini chopsaw or with a miter box. the rest should take some finagling but I should get there if my figuring about the volume of lead/ point of balance is about right. But I'm not entirely sure, hence why a cross section of a bullet would be helpful.

>>30504519
I'm not sure what I should be looking at there, it just has a picture of a Webley bullet and no notes...
>>
File: P7040859.jpg (3 MB, 2400x2400) Image search: [Google]
P7040859.jpg
3 MB, 2400x2400
Spent a big chunk of my day making 300 memeout brass with my new shit saw that seems like it will overheat at any moment... Hopefully I will get the speer TNT 125s in tomorrow or Wednesday... I'm not sure if loading subs is even worth it since I don't have a supressor.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.