[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the handle ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: FAMAS.jpg (671 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
FAMAS.jpg
671 KB, 1024x768
Why the handle ?
>>
up the pooper
>>
>>30501267
Old doctrine was that rifles were unslung in combat. If you had to carry something in one hand, say an ammo box or a litter, you carried the rifle by the handle in the other hand.
>>
It's heavy
>>
File: 1455912591844.png (10 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1455912591844.png
10 KB, 500x500
>FAMAS.jpg
>>
>>30501298
But even when you carry the rifle in one hand, it's not like anybody uses that "carry handle".

I think the carry handle meme was started by somebody who had no firearms experience.
>>
>>30501388
It was actually carried this way when being carried one handed over distance while the other hand was occupied.

It's the easiest way to run with the rifle while you carry it one handed and without a sling.

Same old doctrine saw the M16 handles used the same way.
>>
>>30501553
Carried one handed over distance, in combat, without a sling?

They add weight to the rifle for that scenario?
>>
>>30501267
>Why the handle ?

To handle it. Duh.
>>
File: image.png (577 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
577 KB, 640x1136
>>30501553
Delet this
>>
>>30501553
This nigga gets how comfy trail carry is
>>
>>30501600
>OUNCES DOOOOOOOOOOOODS
>>
>>30501267
because it's a hell of a lot more comfortable to carry when you have a backpack on and something in your other hand

Hell, I carry my FAL by the handle instead of the sling if I don't have an gear on
>>
>>30501388
In non tactical environments, I always carried my SAW by the handle.

Sure, I guess your 10-22 doesn't need one.
>>
>>30501267
So you can carry it like a suitcase.
>>
>>30501388
In the 60's and 70s the South African troops used the handle to jab into a belt loop to help control the muzzle rise on full auto.
>>
>>30501951
From the hip, literally?
>>
>>30501974
Lol at battle rifles had this idea at one point, the M14 and the BAR are ones i know of atleast.
>>
>>30501997
*all
>>
File: fig8-11.gif (40 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
fig8-11.gif
40 KB, 500x328
>>30501600
>>30501604

By distance, I mean more than a few feet. Think a sprint from one fixed position to the next.

And absolutely they accounted for this. If one hand was occupied, for example transporting an ammo can, then the rifle had to be carried somehow. Slings were not guarenteed to be issued, and even if they were, the doctrine while in combat was to completely unsling. Slings were viewed as not combat transportation, this is why all the sling mounts are on the bottom of older rifles- to facilitate vertical shoulder carry while on a march.

Running with the rifle carried by the pistol grip isn't viable some something so long and heavy when you're doing it one handed, and the aforementioned sling issues mean its got to be carried somehow. Carrying the weapon by the center of mass makes the most sense. A handle was added to make carrying this way easier.

Again, you have to stop thinking like somebody in 2016 where slings are a guarentee, we have nice comfy adjustable slings, and where rifles have a tendency to be shorter and lighter than the long rifles of the past. You've got to think like a designer in the 1950s-1970s. You're looking at the doctrines and examples of the times and looking back to WW2 and Korea, where guys carried their Garands one handed by doing it center of mass.
>>
>>30501974
Yep, from the hip.
>>
>>30502016
That's pretty wild. They liked firing from the hip so much, but realized it was inaccurate, that instead of firing from the shoulder, they looped it into their pants.
>>
>>30502028
Yep, the recoil from a full auto 7.62x51 is interesting. It climbs a hell of a lot more than a 5.56
>>
>>30501974
Hip fire is for two things primarily-

Point fire, which is used in close quarters. The makes the overall profile of the shooter shorter, which is good for somebody using a full length weapon. It is also, when practiced, going to be accurate at close range and much faster than attempting to sight irons. Remember, they almost never had optics.

Walking fire, which was used as a technique to finish an assault. This is *NOT* the old meme about WW1 soldiers being ordered to intentionally walk into machinegun fire, which is largely a false meme. Instead this is talking about an assault which has reached near the final position, possibly in broken terrain such as a forest. The attackers will all continue to move while laying down their own suppressing fire. This is in contrast to a leapfrog type movement where people take turns firing and moving. Walking fire can be faster and easier to coordinate in certain terrain. Patton used it to great effect in WW2.
>>
>>30502028
Uncle told me that you should shoot from the hip first, then aim for the second. Unless given the opportunity to accurately aim.
>>
>>30501951
no they didn't
>>
>>30502074
This is a kind of outdated technique for CQB with a rifle. Not saying it's wrong, but that equipment has changed. Hipfiring is really restricted to emergency defensive pistol shooting these days.

Point fire is a thing and is even still in military FM guides, it just isn't really needed with modern setups.
>>
>>30502044
>>30502016
no they did not
You can shoot an FAL from the hip without putting anything on your belt and hold it from rising in full auto

They don't recoil that much

Go fuck yourself Johnny
>>
>>30502107
Oh, so you were in the South African Army in the 60's and 70's? You were a conscript on the northern border? So you've fired a full auto fal?

I'm shot them, and my father in law was that conscript. The old guys at the MOTH have some great stories from that time period. You right, i am so fucking awesome that I should try and fuck myself.

https://youtu.be/WKvt1xQBznQ

>>30502090
See above there champo.
>>
File: tl;dr.gif (2 MB, 352x240) Image search: [Google]
tl;dr.gif
2 MB, 352x240
>>30502197
>Oh, so you were in the South African Army in the 60's and 70's?

Oh and you were?
>>
>>30502203
Not reading is like your speciality, isn't it.?
>>
For comparison, here's 5.56 in full auto. Not 3 shot bursts.
>>
>>30502270
https://youtu.be/Rq-536Fx0XI
>>
>>30502260
Tell me all about your experience johnny
oh and hows that honeypo-I mean anti poaching expedition coming?
>>
>>30502304
>anti poaching expedition coming?
Two Eastern Cape ranches under contract and being patrolled as we speak. It would seem that the EC game owners underestimated the success of the APUs in Free State, North West, and Limpopo and are now seeing a big uptick in Rhino horn poaching.

Having SAPS officers from the wildlife crimes unit gives us a big leg up in more ways that one. Sorry there was no room for Kommandos this year. Maybe next year. So far we're picking off APU talent from northern provinces.
>>
>>30502350
So you're there currently?
Because I doubt that
>>
>>30502366
I split my time, it's currently winter there. While winter is mild by U.S. standards, I'd rather be there in the heat of summer, which is when I'll be there.
>>
>>30502407
I dont' give a fuck what they're doing now, I asked about your honeypot of getting /k/ommandos to join

I find it funny that since no one wanted in you claim that there was no room
>>
>>30502419
I have like 65 /k/ommandos who filled out the online interest form I posted. Remember, I was paying all expenses - I get to be picky. Maybe next year there will be more room. But, I've picked up a few more SAPS cops than planned, and we've managed to grab a few experienced APU guys from Limpopo. I didn't need to take on the expense of airfare from the U.S. nor did I have to chance it with someone who might flake out and get home sick or not like the physicality and working conditions of the job.
>>
>>30502479

It was also because you're generally a raging faggot
>>
>>30503043
That's makes no sense in the context of this discussion. None at all.
>>
File: Anon rage.jpg (52 KB, 1566x174) Image search: [Google]
Anon rage.jpg
52 KB, 1566x174
>>30503043
Notice how you jellyfags turned my few comments about the FAL into a full on namefag hate thread. Yeah, you're pretty much the cancer on the dangling nuts that is /k/
>>
File: IMG_20160416_150440.jpg (1 MB, 1520x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160416_150440.jpg
1 MB, 1520x1520
I use my RPK carry handle frequently when its up on the bipod. If I just need to pick it up and move it a few feet or something its way easier to lean down and grab the carry handle with one hand, rather than bend down farther and grab it by the grip and use my other hand to grab the handguard.
>>
>>30503072

but why tho
>>
protip: the first thing an Aussie was ordered to do when he arrived in 'nam was to take his weapon to the armorer and get that shit cut off.

Even without a sling, you were expected (and should be expected) to carry your rifle in a ready position when in a combat zone, the addition of the handle makes it all too easy for greens to use that and get themselves killed because they weren't ready.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.