[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone attest to the accuracy, smoothness of bolt action,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: 1467495853942.jpg (333 KB, 1746x1562) Image search: [Google]
1467495853942.jpg
333 KB, 1746x1562
Can anyone attest to the accuracy, smoothness of bolt action, and reliability of some of the cheaper bolt action rifles out there?

I was wanting to get into getting tight groupings at further ranges, anywhere from 100 to 500 yards or so.

Wasn't sure if some of the cheaper rifles like the Savage Axis or Ruger American or Mossberg Patriot could do that, even with a good scope.

LGS said to spend as much on the scope as I did the rifle itself.
>>
Honestly bro, this isn't the best place to get serious opinions on things like this. Even that "/k/ approved" pic is BS. Most answers you get here will be from elitists, noguns, posers, or fanboys who just repeat nonsense they've heard.

Just find an archived thread on a more specific forum, and you'll find all the info you'll need.

There are budget guns that will serve you well.
>>
>>30500616
>LGS said to spend as much on the scope as I did the rifle itself.
long range shooting is kind of the opposite of other shooting disciplines

the scope and ammo you choose are very important to making good groups once you start reaching out beyond 300 yards (300 - 600 yards is only medium range shooting to riflemen)

if you want moa or sub moa at medium range most people would say you're going to need a leupold mk4 or something in the same class. you can get away with a ~750 scope if youre really strapped. remember that your rifle will wear out, but your scope won't. if you buy good glass it will last you through your next 10 rifles.

trust >>30501115 this advice and check out some long range forums (reddit has one. it's a pretty good starting place). there are plenty of youtube reviews on the cheaper rifles. idk how you feel about nutnfancy - bit of a dweeb in my opinion - but he puts out pretty informative content and has a few vids on the rifles mentioned in your OP.

from your OP pic the t3 and xbolt are both upper tier if you have to buy a rifle brand new. older r700s are usually good, the police models w/heavy barrels are good for long range.
>>
>>30501279
i forgot to add that yes, the LGS is correct, to fully take advantage of your gun's accuracy you're usually looking to pay equal to or greater than the cost of the rifle on a piece of glass.

reloading is also a key component of tack driving at long range. in the long run you save a lot of money, but 308 is an expensive cartridge even if you do get set up reloading.

if youre new to long range you can always get a .223 and shoot tight groups in the range you mentioned for a fraction of the cost. it's also a better caliber if you like to shoot a lot because there's less recoil.
>>
>>30501312
Match .308 is not much more expensive than match .223.

>reloading is also a key component of tack driving at long range. in the long run you save a lot of money, but 308 is an expensive cartridge even if you do get set up reloading.

Only if you consider your time spent reloading to be worthwhile. Or you could have bought a box Hornady 6.5 Creedmore and saved yourself a lot of money and given you more trigger time
>>
OP here, settling for the Tikka T3. Found it for $552, can't find anyone saying anything particularly negative a bout it, and $552 isn't a wallet breaker like the Browning X-bolt.

Bring it to the LGS for sighting and a scope?
>>
>>30501727
If you want to get into target shooting at a budget, try a SWFA fixed 10x

>inb4 spend as much money on glass as your gun

The lesson you should is to not cheap out on glass, but cheaper glass is miles ahead of where it once was.
>>
>>30500616
Unless you want to sink massive money, just fucking get a 10/22 and dick with that for accuracy. Even though you can easily put one together for over $2k it'll still be far cheaper than going any other route, and it's kind of like fishing for smaller fish with a tiny fishing rod (which makes like a 2lbs fish feel like a monster) -- there'll be a shitton of challenge in getting great groups at far shorter distances just because of the ballistics of the round.
>>
>>30501783
>.22lr
>300 yards
Nice reading comprehension.
>>
>>30501727
You don't need your lgs to mount a scope for you. i'm no expert, but I've mounted 3 vortex scopes with no special tools or vise, and was on paper at 50yds. From there it was easy to zero at 100yds
>>
>>30501783
Ideally I'd use this rifle for everything - Hunting, shooting at the range, and in case a happening breaks out. .308 win or .30-06 were my best options apparently, and .308 win is only 20c a round.

I don't think a 10/22 would be able to get the ranges I want.
>>
>>30501880
>20c
I'm retarded, somehow hit 2 instead of 5. 50c.
>>
File: Savage 111.png (88 KB, 900x239) Image search: [Google]
Savage 111.png
88 KB, 900x239
>>30500616
The Savage 11s are pretty fuckin' spot on. Love mine to death.
Nikon makes a good scope for a fair price.
Leupold makes a great scope for more money.
>>
>>30500616

CZ 452 in 22LR is okay for 100-150 yards, especially if you get the ultra lux with a 28 inch barrel. But something in .223 would hold groups better. I say CZ or Savage. I prefer the former of the two.
>>
File: 800px-TMITHCS06_00.jpg (60 KB, 800x449) Image search: [Google]
800px-TMITHCS06_00.jpg
60 KB, 800x449
>>30500616
Your pic is missing winchester 1895, mosin variant, k98, m24, and k31.
>>
>>30502399
Don't forget the M48 Yugo Mauser, the M1903 Springfield, the Browning BLR, Browning X-Bolt, and the Lee Enfield.
>>
>>30501853
Don't tikkas have built in picatinny dovetails?
>>
>>30502399
No it isn't.
The Tikka, for example, is guaranteed 1MOA out of the box. Milsurp rifles simply aren't comparable.
>>
>>30502438
The Swiss and Swedish milsurp rifles could probably pull that off.

But the ammo can be expensive and hard to find. And the guns themselves are also quite expensive considering they are old military rifles.
It's probably more economical in the long run to buy a new commercial hunting rifles.
They also have much better facilities for mounting optics.
>>
>>30501115
> Remshit 700 isn't on the list
Nah it's pretty good
>>
>>30501727
See OP
>>30502438
This is the shit you get here on 4chan. This fag is just repeating what he has heard. He has never, and will never shoot 1 moa groups, yet he will tell you for certain what rifles will and wont.
>>
>>30500616
why is there a levergun?
>>
>>30503516
The pic is /k/ approved deer rifles. The question should be, why is there only 1 lever gun?
>>
>>30502970
>that ad hominem
Some more obscure rifles like the k31 will be more accurate, but most people would be happy to get 2-3moa from a WW2 rifle. For someone doing target shooting or long range hunting (the two main reasons for owning a bolt action rifle), that is unacceptable.

A Tikka T3 is literally guaranteed to be 1moa or better off the shelf.
>>
>>30503720
>military surplus guns are now "unacceptable" for hunting
>even though hunting with nuggets and SKSes has been a /k/ommando pastime since the 1950s
>even though revolvers, 10mm, shotguns, and friggin 19th century lever action chamberings continue to be just fucking fine for hunting
It's time to stop posting.
>>
File: images.jpg (32 KB, 438x336) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
32 KB, 438x336
>>30503800
>long range hunting and target shooting
Learn to read faggot, not everyone jerks off in a blind until there's a deer 50 metres away.
>>
>>30500616
If you want a cheap accurate rifle, Marlin makes basically a Remington model 700. It's cheaper but still a pretty good rifle. I have one chambered in .270, kills deer with ease.
>>
>>30503942
>>long range hunting and target shooting
People target shoot with Garands and M14s out to a thousand fucking yards on irons. Please tell me more about how WWII milsurp can't be accurate.
>>
>>30504067
>people target shoot out to 1000 yards with hand picked m1s and m14s that have extensive and expensive accurizing work done to them, and still get out shot by new production bolt rifles
Ftfy
The purpose of the rifles in OP is to be affordable, accurate rifles off the shelf. Milsurp doesn't meet those criteria. Get over it.
>>
>>30500616
i have found that accuracy is as much the ammo used as the rifle. buy as many different kind of ammo as u can in your chosen caliber, in different weights, types etc. some rifles like different ammo more than other. or start hand loading and find yourself a good load. Or everyone always forgets about weatherby rifles they are guartenteed sub moa and not crazy expensive
>>
File: Precision fam photo #2.jpg (87 KB, 960x717) Image search: [Google]
Precision fam photo #2.jpg
87 KB, 960x717
>>30500616
OP if you are wanting a inexpensive starter rifle look at either the savage model 10 or remington 700. yes the r700s can have issues but really if youre going to be shooting shit 50cpr ammo thru it you won't notice the difference.

The savage is much smoother out of the box than remington but I prefer the action and bolt on a remington over a savage. it isn't as smooth but I've had less wobble in the guns I've shot, maybe it was luck or maybe it was because of the floating bolt head idk. either model in a 308 with match ammo (fgmm, rem premier, hornady match) will shoot 1" or smaller at 100yds. if it doesn't, more than likely it is the shooter, batch of ammo (or manufacturer), scope or screws.

If you are trying to get into medium range shooting you can easily get by on under 1400$ out the door ready to shoot at the range. a r700 will run 6-700. a basic swfa10x will be 300. a bipod will be 1-150, a rear bag will be 20-30 if you buy a tab gear, and ~50$ for a rear cheek pad if you get one from triad tactical. the triads are nice since you get hook and loop inserts that allow you to adjust it specifically for your face. last thing you'll need is a base and rings you can go cheap with both for under 100 or you can get a NF base for 100 and some seekins rings for about 130.

I would drop dosh for seekins rings over something like basic burris rings or other no name brands. the seekins are put together and they are absolutely worth the money. plus you'll be able to find a use for 30mm rings on just about any scope that doesn't cost over 2grand so you'll be able to reuse it for an upgrade later on down the road.
>>
File: scubagirl.webm (3 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
scubagirl.webm
3 MB, 640x640
>>30500616
where the fuck are the iron sights on any of those?
>>
>>30500616
>cheap bolt thread
>NO MOSINS, ENFIELDS, OR MAUSER
>tripfag newguns
>>
File: IMG_7831.jpg (218 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7831.jpg
218 KB, 900x675
>>30500616

My recommendation for cheap but HIGHLY accurate hunting rifle is a Howa 1500 in 308
>>
>>30500616
Ignore the guns on that stupid infograph.

Get a decent used Remington 700 in .308 (~$350).

Pick up a used full shank match barrel from a long range target shooter that has burned it out, have it cut down at the chamber and re-chambered, maybe bring the profile down a little ($100 for the barrel, about $100 more in labor).

Bed the stock and get a timney trigger put in ($200).

Then pick up either a Sightron S3 or used Leupold Mark 4. Should be close to your $1500 budget, and it'll shoot better than any factory rifle.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.