[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Something that's been on my mind lately after reading into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: 99sa.jpg (212 KB, 2591x1943) Image search: [Google]
99sa.jpg
212 KB, 2591x1943
Something that's been on my mind lately after reading into the rifles used in WWII and seeing the Arisaka Type 99 made me wonder why exactly it seems to be the only example of a production rifle with an off-center scope and why they chose to design it that way in the first place, I figure there has to be some kind of tested logic behind it. (Pic is pretty clearly a Mosin but I'm just using it to illustrate the point)
I can imagine any number of reasons why a top mounted scope would be superior and the fact that pretty much all of them are would certainly seem to suggest anything else would yield inferior results, but I'd like to know why exactly and to what extent since I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere else, and if there might be any advantages to this design worth comparing to conventionally mounted scopes.
I also have to wonder if it's at all feasible for a scope to be mounted in such a fashion and the iron sights left intact so one could choose to sight down one or the other in a situation that could potentially warrant such a choice on the fly. Of course general discussion about rifles and scopes is perfectly welcome as well.
>>
File: tumblr_ma4hlrhwLb1r9khx4o1_500.jpg (50 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ma4hlrhwLb1r9khx4o1_500.jpg
50 KB, 500x375
>>30494455
>why exactly it seems to be the only example of a production rifle with an off-center scope
it's not. Not the first, not the last.

Yanks had some, and such things were already seen during WW1 as well.
>>
>>30494455
They designed it that way because the offset scope gives the user more room to reload the rifle.

It's also far from the only scoped rifle designed like that. Both M1-C and M1-D rifles had offset scopes. Sniper variants of the Lee Enfield Mk. III and Ross rifle had an offset scope. There are plenty of others.
>>
I figure the best solution for something like that is the old Pachmayr swing-off mount.
>>
Why? Literally, clips.
>>
My swiss 191 has a side mounted scope.

My 1903 has one.
>>
Had a spotter L-E like that when I was growing up. This was before I know much about guns aside from the fact that I thought they were sweet. Wish I still had it, and a lot of other stuff
>>
Perhaps stupid of me to assume this, but could trench warfare be a reason for this as well? I'd imagine having a lower line of sight would be good when you're being shot at.
>>
>>30497221

Nope, just clips.
>>
File: P3285561.jpg (64 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
P3285561.jpg
64 KB, 640x480
>>30494455
>>30494561
>>30497257
I have no fucking idea where you got the notion that the Arisaka was the only rifle that did this, and how you couldn't have figured out the logic behind this yourself lmao
>>
>>30494544
I actually have one of those , and the mounting screws if someone wants it. Came on an bubba'd enfield I failed to save...
>>
>>30497398
Where can I find a scope mount like that for a k1911
>>
Can some one sum up this for me
>>
>>30499212

magazines
>>
>>30499232
I mean what he's asking in too lazy and tired to read all that
>>
>>30494455
>it seems to be the only example of a production rifle with an off-center scope

There were several back in the day.

The sniper (DMR, really, but that term didn't exist back then) variant of the Garand comes to mind.
>>
If I'm saying what I think your asking they did it so they didn't have to put they're heads out of trenches as much as centerscope would make them any moving object moving slightly over a teach was litup to oblivion
>>
>>30494455
>(Pic is pretty clearly a Mosin but I'm just using it to illustrate the point)

So... It's not the only one, huh?
>>
>>30499564
Does that look like a standard issue scope and mount to you?
>>
>>30502013
Considering the kind of janky shit countries were trying out at the time, sure. A lot of early sniper conversions were one off or limited run.
>>
>>30494455
Your claim is the arisakas are the only ones, but then your pic is of a modem doing just that...

Good job autism.
>>
K31 actions have offset scopes because they eject straight up, and pre-64 Winchesters for the same reason.
>>
>>30502043
>not knowing the glorious PU sniper

Newfag detected
>>
>>30494455
Off center scopes work better for slated eyes.
>>
>>30494455
Also think of it like this. Back in the day the did not have quick dismouting scopes or pop up iron sights. So if your scope was damaged and it blocked your irons the rifle had effectively no sights. However if it is offset then it can still work even if the scope is damaged as the irons still where in the same spot. And the user could switch between iron and scope quickly to take targets in effectively at all ranges.
>>
>>30506293
>Back in the day the did not have quick dismouting scopes

Nigger standard doctrine for a lot of countries was to carry the scope dismounted to then put it on when needed.
>>
>>30506882
When did they learn to quick scope? And how long before they learned to noscope?
>>
>>30497652
You don't, it's an a solid part of the receiver.
>>
>>30506293
Nigga what? Using optics or sights and not superior inshallah. You step up your jihad....
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.