[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /k/ I'm new to this board and somewhat new to guns in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 500x650) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 500x650
Hi /k/
I'm new to this board and somewhat new to guns in general.
My father owns a few, and I've shot them from time to time in years past. But I've never really paid attention to firearms enough to gather a lot of useful information about them. Anyway with recent events, my father wants to purchase some more firearms, and I'm going to go to the gun show with him. He's likely to buy me a gun or I'm going to purchase one myself, but the problem is I know nothing about them.
I want a handgun, something medium sized, not a revolver. That's about as far as my knowledge goes.
Can /k/ give me a little bit of info on what kind of gun I should be looking for? I'm not even sure what classes I need to take/license I need to get.

TL;DR a guy with the brain of a liberal wants to buy a handgun, doesn't know anything about guns.

Pic semi-related
>>
You should look up the firearm laws of your state. Try to see if a local gunshop or range offers training to familiarize yourself with a pistol.
>>
Here are the 4 most important things to know when handling/shooting, firearms. Use this on the range, in a gun fight, ALWAYS.

All guns are always loaded. (Treat them so!)

Never point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target (and you have made the decision to shoot).

Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
>>
>>30494537
>All guns are always loaded. (Treat them so!)
>Never point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Do you have to keep your gun pointed in a safe direction when it's in the case or a bag?
>>
>>30494354
>>30494354
I have a glock 19 and I love it. You should see about renting some from a range and trying them out and get whatever feels the best in your hands. That's all it really comes down to. Also in the future scroll through the catalog and look for handgun specific threads or qtddtot(questions that dont deserve own threads) no need to make a whole thread for a relatively quick answerable question
>>
For the record. I didn't right these, they have been around forever.

Kind of the 4 golden rules.

As for everything else, it depends on what state you're in. Look into getting a concealed carry license. Most states don't require any firearms license, or registration. Go take classes from professional instructors. Don't listen to stupid arguments over calibers, brands, or shit like that.
>>
>>30494554
Yes. Keep cases pointed directly at the ground when storing a loaded gun with a round chambered.
>>
>>30494554
Not a bad idea to think about, but not necessary. If it's in a holster or a case, YOU are not pointing it.
>>
>>30494605
What if a round isn't chambered and the bolt is open?
>>
>>30494629
Back to rule #1. Always treat guns as if they are loaded.
>>
>>30494640
What if you have to swap out a barrel?
>>
>I want a handgun, something medium sized, not a revolver.

Get a Glock 19, or the compact variant of the S&W M&P or Springfield XD.

Whichever one fits you hand better. They pretty much do the same thing.
>>
>>30494605
>>30494628
What these guys said if its loaded treat it accordingly if its empty with the saftey on or the bolt open its not really a concern but no one will ever give you a hard time for being the most safe with a firearm as possible. The more youre around guns and gun owners the more you'll pick up on what is and isn't acceptable
>>
>>30494662
you can't do shit like that because that would require you to put your hand on the barrel and your hand would get burnt if it went off because it's fucking perma-loaded and that would just be no fucking good now would it be ol buddy ol boy
>>
A good rule of thumb is to buy something serviceable. Don't go with a *special snowflake* for your first couple of guns. Get something reliable, in a common caliber, with a large after market for holsters, magazines, ect.

tl;dr a Glock in 9mm is an excellent choice.

Glock 19 is a good size, too. Small enough to carry, big enough to get a decent grip.
>>
>>30494662
Then just swap the barrel? If you're trying to shit post, I'm sorry you don't have anything better to do.
>>
>>30494738
What if you have to clean the barrel?
>>
File: emptyinside.jpg (40 KB, 500x442) Image search: [Google]
emptyinside.jpg
40 KB, 500x442
Make sure you don't live in NY, MA, CA, IL, CT, MD, HI, NJ, RI, or DC.

Be willing to make compromises in choosing what to carry. Don't specifically choose a gun for quantity over caliber or vice versa.
>>
File: 100_1626.jpg (309 KB, 1383x778) Image search: [Google]
100_1626.jpg
309 KB, 1383x778
>>30494354
Glock 19?

There are at least three handgun sizes OP.

Full-size like the Glock 17, https://us.glock.com/products/model/g17

Compact, like the Glock 19,
https://us.glock.com/products/model/g19

and sub-compact like the Glock 26, or "babby glock", https://us.glock.com/products/model/g26

Gen 4 Glocks might require replacing some parts to be 100% reliable out of the box, so try to find a Gen 3 for now.
>>
>>30494537

>>30494354

Furthermore, this means when you go to a gun shop to look at a handgun, don't muzzle sweep anyone with it while you're fucking around with it OP.

Also, point it in a safe direction if you want to look down the sights.
>>
File: Glock 17 Sexy makeup.jpg (459 KB, 1382x778) Image search: [Google]
Glock 17 Sexy makeup.jpg
459 KB, 1382x778
>>30494826
>>30494846
>>
File: de.jpg (40 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
de.jpg
40 KB, 480x360
>>30494354
I'm in the same boat. I haven't bought my first piece yet but I've been playing Counterstrike since 0.6 and BF/CoD series from the very beginning. I know more about how different kinds of weapons work and how they can be used in various scenarios more than your average cop, and probably more than probably half in the military.
>>
File: bobby.jpg (26 KB, 615x456) Image search: [Google]
bobby.jpg
26 KB, 615x456
>>30494354
>guy with the brain of a liberal

liberals don't have brains. back to tumblr, guns are for real men and for women who follow real men.
>>
>>30494967
counterstrike
I hope you are trolling
its like saying guitar hero makes you good at music
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.