[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ammo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 750x658) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 750x658
Why is steel shellcase ammo cheaper and will it ruin my 9mm?
>>
Steel is cheaper than brass, and generally not reloadable. Unless it uses a corrosive primer it shouldn't do any damage, and even then you're fine if you clean your gun after shooting.
>>
File: 1394072561081.jpg (290 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1394072561081.jpg
290 KB, 1920x1080
>>30489122
Because the quality is shit, it's made by slave labor in former eastern block nations, and while it may not ruin your gun it will malfunction very often.

Cheap things are cheap for a reason, anon-san.

Only steel case ammo I've ever heard people NOT complain about was Wolf. Love their 762x39 ammo, but I've never tried their other calibers.
>>
>>30489182
>>30489154
And what about lead core FMJ rounds?
>>
>>30489154
The bimetal bullet causes wear faster than brass bullets though. LuckyGunner did a 10,000 round test of brass and various steel through ARs and determined that, but... it's cheaper to buy steel and then buy a new gun/barrel with the saved money.
>>
>>30489237
Any /k/ memes on how to swap out AR barrels?
>>
>>30489237
You're talking about bullets, while OP was talking about casings.
>>
>>30489296
Guess what steel ammo uses, genius?
>>
>>30489122
Because it's made by Slavs who run on fusel oil and nicotine.
>>
>>30489122
steel is cheaper than brass and labor is cheaper in eastern Europe. If it is bi metal jacketed it will wear out barrels faster but the steel case itself doesnt put too much more wear on parts. Ivan sometimes gets drunker than ususal and decides that corrosive primers need to go in the new ammo but that stuff gets recalled so that is the only thing you need to watch out for. Brass cased is slightly more reliable but for plinking and training steel is fine. It is pretty accurate as well certainly good enough for plinking sighting stuff in or even hunting.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>30489122
Nope both that 9mm
>>
File: FKKXyX.jpg (2 MB, 5344x3008) Image search: [Google]
FKKXyX.jpg
2 MB, 5344x3008
>>30489221
You mean normal bullets? So long as it has a copper coating on the outside it should be good to go. Pure lead/non jacketed bullets will foul the barrel faster, which means more cleaning. Bimetal is a weird mix of copper and steel. It will wear out barrels faster.

Are you just looking for cheap-not-shitty plinking ammo? Might be easier just to ask what brand to buy for that purpose.

I've used Blazer, Aguila, S&B, and PMC. No problems. Federal is nice but I only get it when on sale, as the other 3 tend to be cheaper.
>>
>>30490210
Oh, and these bullets are polycoated. You don't see that from the big manufacturers, just from reloaders. It means there's plastic on the outside to prevent fouling instead of copper.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.