[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how effective is the ac-130?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: ac130.jpg (3 MB, 2689x1660) Image search: [Google]
ac130.jpg
3 MB, 2689x1660
does it fuck shit up? is the shit even devastating?
>>
>>30485554
if the enemy has Anti air weapons, the AC130 isn't very effective.
if U don't have AA, ur gonna get fucked up
>>
>>30485554
Been there, done that. Saw an AC130 wipe out an enemy position in short order. It was too fucking cool to even describe.
>>
its a glass cannon basically.

its hard to imagine a plane being able to deliver more devastation over a longer time-frame.

Its also hard to imagine a more vulnerable plane.
>>
classical "works good against an enemy with 0 AA and no air assets" plane like the A-10. Very cool against sand people in sandals with 50 year old AK's

Against a proper enemy - useless, same as the A-10
>>
https://youtu.be/i-gMMQTt5-c

If nothing is there to stop it, its going to fuck shit up.
>>
https://youtu.be/8ihyD4w3zzU
>>
It's insanely expensive for what it does

It's usage is limited to these unconventional wars where the enemy doesn't even have manpads
>>
>>30486233
they fly a little bit too high for manpads buddy
>>
>>30486173
>vulnerable
Actually, what I heard from a pilot who survived a few tours: "when AC-130 is in the air, the safest place around is in that AC-130".
>>
>>30486234
Not when they are shooting at targets
>>
File: 110929-F-WC163-002.jpg (25 KB, 591x394) Image search: [Google]
110929-F-WC163-002.jpg
25 KB, 591x394
>>30486173
You'd be surprised how rugged that plane actually is. The amount of back ups for every system is crazy. Yeah a SAM will fuck up its day but as long as it has a wing an engine and some amount of an empennage it can still find a way to land.
>>
>>30486212
how the fuck they run so fast in just sandals
>>
>>30486242
well duh, its always safer behind the barrel of a gun than in front of it.

doesnt mean it isnt vulnerable. Its big, slow has limited visibility for the pilots, has to fly low and its heavy so any crash-landing is bound to be more dangerous.
>>
>>30486212
so basically you can run around and play hard to hit but you cant hide
>>
>>30486191
Any modern enemy has nukes and is a do not fight.

These are the only kind of wars now.
>>
>>30486191
Well to be fair it was conceived at a time when they where killing jungle people in sandals with 15 year old AK47s

That kind of enemy is always going to be out there and the old fashioned truckies lump hammer does the job pound for pound, cheaper than a surgeons state of the art titanium bone mallet.
>>
What does Loader? say? Something ready
>>
>>30486212
Shooting muzzies with 105mm rounds. I.want.to.do.this.
>>
Too bad this wasnt in use for that isis convoy attack, iraq should get this or two.
>>
>>30486266
Literally none of your post is relevant.
>>
>>30485554
Works great so long as the enemy doesn't have any form of AA or it's night

Otherwise it's a really really big slow target
>>
>>30486173
Since the gulf war those things have been loaded the fuck out with passive and active countermeasures.
>>
>>30488500
I don't know why the fuck people like you pretend that it's ever used in non-permissive air environments.
>>
Technical of the air.
>>
Air force runs AC130 missions on a nightly basis. Buddy of mine gets to watch live feeds of dudes getting blown the fuck up daily.
>>
>>30490496
>dudes getting blown the fuck up daily.
nightly (if you mean where the action is)
>>
>>30488733

I think the point is that it's not effective if you don't control the air.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.