[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tanker Garand in .308?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: tankergarand.jpg (29 KB, 640x248) Image search: [Google]
tankergarand.jpg
29 KB, 640x248
What does /k/ think of pic related? are they could guns? Can you use modern 7.62 nato with killing them slowly?
>>
>>30484445
come back when you know how to use google, kid.
>>
>>30484474
Google results on this are conflicted as fuck.
>>
>>30484445
Not a real Garand
>>
>>30484752
Theyre sporters. Some of them are done like shit.

If you want a garand in .308 get it through the CMP. i love mine
>>
>>30484445
7.62 nato is lower pressure than .308.
>>
>>30485065
No
>>
You can use 7.62 NATO if it's loaded to actual NATO pressure. Look for the cross on the headstamp. I have a Navy Mk.2 Mod 1 Garand that eats ZQI 7.62 NATO up with no issues.
>>
>>30485097
Slightly.
>>
>>30485065
>>30485097
>>30485155
http://www.303british.com/id36.html
>>
>>30485182
Bookmarked. That was a really interesting read.
>>
>>30484985
The CMP is out of everything. Possibly forever.
>>
>>30484445
neato if you want a short garand but i wouldn't pay out the nose for one. Everyone i talk to think that they're some super special variant that was only issued to tank crews in ww2. In reality they were not really mass produced beyond testing but people still gush over them when they see one of bubbuh's gun smith specials at the gun show. Since they're usually custom jobs, its common for them to be crappy shooters accuracy wise or function wise or both. Chopping up an op rod that was already the weak point to the gun doesn't real seem smart to me and good luck finding another op rod if the one you buy needs it. Since most if not all of the tanker garands floating around today are custom jobs it's unlikely that an op rod from one tanker will work properly in another tanker.

>>30485478
if you looked through their forums you would see that they stopped taking orders to catch up on the back log of orders they have now.

they also still have m1d's and m1c's up for order if you just can't wait or really think they are out completely
>>
>>30485609
I'm really hoping I can find one that isn't bubba'd up too badly (currently looking at this one: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/566221029). .308 is nice too, because my understanding is that original garands can't really handle modern 30-06.
>>
>>30485705
It's always a crap shoot when it comes to tankers. just wait for the cmp to start taking orders again. a .308 special from the cmp would be cheaper and won't kill you. (i own one, haven't been killed yet)

even then i wouldn't shoot .308 through a .308 garand. Garands were chambered in 7.62x51mm when they being used as a stop gap for the m14. stick with nato spec ammo for .308 garands. It's not like its hard to find 7.62x51mm nato anyways. Walmart sells that stuff in bulk for cheaper than .308
>>
>>30485767
That would be the plan. Would there be a non-retard way to do a tanker conversion on a CMP garand? Having a lighter. more maneuverable gun would be nice.
>>
>>30484445
they can use modern 308 because they are modern rifles. they are made up shit, nothing official or old about them
>>
>>30485784
it would still require chopping the op rod which is always ehhhh. Its been done and can be done but there's always the chance that things can go wrong.

if weight an size is an issue than look else where for a semi auto .308. For the price of a cmp special with a tanker job done to it you could have a scar or a very nice ar10
>>
>>30485847
California. If I were to have the thing cut down I would take it to a gunsmith.
>>
>>30485182
tldr?
>>
>>30485856
Different brass thicknesses and chamber shapes mean that while the unfired cartridges are almost identical externally, there are some differences on the inside and they deform differently depending on what you shoot them out of.
>>
>>30485866
So the issue is only for those who reload?
>>
>>30485856
.308 is fine

shoot it, its fiiiine

>its a 5min read you lazy fuck
>>
>>30485854
I'd really REALLY advise against it unless you really REALLY need the size and weight savings.
>>
>>30485942
If it's that bad of an idea I'll pass. If I get a 30-06 model, what ammo should I buy?
>>
>>30485882
Not entirely. .308 has thinner walls that 7.62 nato, so if you load civie .308 into a military rifle you could have a case rupture due to the shape of the chamber or something.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.