[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
4.5mm airguns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Stovepipe.jpg (34 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Stovepipe.jpg
34 KB, 800x450
How do you feel about using 4.5mm airguns as self-defense weapons? Of course it wouldn't work against powder-based firearms, but I mean against unarmed/melee-weapon-armed attacker. Best case scenario: the attacker thinks the weapon is powder-based, assuming it looks like it is, and surrenders.Worst-case scenario, he doesn't get phased by it, and you have to shoot the attacker, the shots most likely cause enormous amount of pain, assuming the attacker isn't armoured or anything, and might take the attackers attention to the pain, and give you time to take control of the situation. Here's some pros and cons I could think of, I'd like to hear your opinions on this
>>
>being attacked
>feign deadly force

what could go wrong?
>>
>>30484351
>pull out BB gun
>attacker doesn't run away
>pew pew
>attacker now really mad and pounds your fucking head into the dirt, beats you to death
>takes BB gun

If you're pulling a weapon it is to stop the imminent danger. A toy gun is not the tool to do that.
>>
>>30484366
I'd imagine a 4.5mm steel ball, coming at over 100m/s would penetrate skin, and depending on the shot placement, would cause a lot of pain, don't you think? And the kind of guns I'm talking about are semi-automatic, with 18-20 round mags (+additional ones in reserve possibly). I suppose it would be better than nothing, right?
>>
>>30484351

Real life bullet shooting firearms often don't immediately stop an attacker, but they do cause a cessation of life. They severely degrade an attacker and quickly cause him to stop being a threat by ending his life. The deterrence of violence is not through pain, but rather the severe physical damage of a bullet smashing bones or causing death.

If you can't cause literal death to an attacker your next best bet is to cause a halt to hostile action through overwhelming and truly debilitating pain. My next go to if a firearm was out of the question would be capsaicin based pepper gel or pepper foam. Not the dollar store shot sold on a pink keychain, the highly pressurized and high content stuff. A gun is a better option, in my opinion, but a high capsaicin content foam or gel meant to stave off bears for instance would be a decent self defence item.
>>
>>30484416
No, you're better off running away at that point. Those little steel balls would surely hurt, but I'd bet getting beat to death hurts much more and any determined attacker will keep going until you kill them anyways.
>>
>>30484416
It's not about causing pain. It's about rapidly incapacitating your attacker in order to stop whatever raping/murdering/maiming he has planned.
>>
>>30484416
Not necessarily. I had a friend shoot me with a .177 cal air rifle right next to my eye when I was a kid, going about 450 fps and it A) didn't break the skin and B) just pissed me off hard enough that I sprinted like a motherfucker, tackled him into the pavement, and punched the shit out of him for about a minute. Not really the kind of thing you want in a life or death self-defense scenario. Just get pepper gel if you won't or can't get a firearm.
>>
>>30484438
Well, I'd suppose the element of surprise in it would only work on some first-time thug who's never heard gunfire before, not some professional meth-head.
>>
>>30484461
Relying on element of surprise is just as dumb as relying on the sound of a shotgun pump scaring away a home intruder, anon.
>>
>>30484472
I meant the surprise as the mixture of sudden pain and gunfire, and depending on the environment, the gunfire could be pretty loud, say, an apartment building with concrete walls.
>>
>>30484497
the difference between gunfire and bb guns is night and day
if you think any bb gun is going to be mistaken for a gunshot you are retarded
>>
>>30484535
If it's Co2, then it's as close as it could get
>>
>>30484351
>he doesn't get phased by it, and you have to shoot the attacker, the shots most likely cause enormous amount of pain, assuming the attacker isn't armoured or anything, and might take the attackers attention to the pain, and give you time to take control of the situation.

Or become utterly enraged and beat your ass.
>>
>>30484542
hahahahahaa
>>
It's such a shame they're not manufacturing those drozd blackbird things anymore
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.